Code of Conduct

Default Nostalgia vs Garage vs Tar

I want to experiment here. I dont want anything pretty but the most weir, an anti-perfume. Garage, gasoline, rubber , industrial, acid, oil .. something in that line.
    I already have Bvlgari Black which has a very delicate and well done rubber note, but... too pretty.

Knize Ten has an opening note that is tar (awesome one) , but does not last for very long.
    I have narrowed down my choice to the following 3:
    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia
    CdG Tar
    CdG Garage

From the above options which one would you categorize as the most extreme and weir of them all? Is there anything out there stranger than those 3?

Many thanks
    (by the way ; where can I buy Nostalgia?)

Default Re: Nostalgia vs Garage vs Tar

try CDG 2

I did yesterday. Incense incense incense, incense, amber and woods ... great fragrance but not what I am looking for (industrial ,tar, gasoline,rubber, dirty)

L´Anarchiste fits the bill half the way but I want to go really overboard.
    An offensive fragrance sort to speaking.

I have not yet tried CdG Garage, but I do have Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia and CdG Tar.

I prefer Nostalgia as it is more wearable in public. Tar is more extreme so maybe that is the one you are looking for.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Is it Tar really unwearable? Do you get any adverse reaction when you wear it in public?

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Is it Tar really unwearable? Do you get any adverse reaction when you wear it in public?
    I didn't say Tar was unwearable just that Nostalgia is more wearable.

The only adverse reaction I had from wearing Tar came from my wife (and she loves Nostalgia).
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I understand. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries

I used to own Garage, and I currently own smn nostalgia

Garage is the most 'extreme' out of those 3, definitely. garage and tar are similar, but I found garage to be more intense of the 2. I used to wear garage when I had a bottle of it, but usually after layering it with something else

Nostalgia is one of the most beautiful scents I've ever used. I've recieved a ton of compliments on it over the past few months. very very wearable and very unique---a rare combination! everyone should try this one. the drydown is absolute heaven.

LAFCO and AEDES both carry Nostalgia

ok seems Garage is the one I am looking for and I will get Nostalgia as well... you are a Knize Ten man and your wish is my command :-)

I have all three but Nostalgia is the one I wear most. Garage smells exactly like the toolshed in the country at my grandmother's. My four uncles spent most of their time there fixing things. Tar smells more like asphalt.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'd also say that Nostalgia is the most wearable, while there are rubber and gassy notes, when you wear it, the fragrance is quite pleasant. Garage and Tar are neat - they smell like what there titles (Garage smells exactly like an auto-shop I worked in as a teenager) but are a little odd when worn.

Nostalgia isn't what you want it only is "weird" in the topnotes, afterwards it's a completely different story.

You should consider Le Labo Patchouli it's every bit as strange as all three of these, stronger by far than any of them, more complex and more better than any of them!

everso: those web sites sell only to USA
    Credogit: I want something that is weir through hours, not just the topnotes. I think Garage could do the trick , linear but weir.
    thanks for the tips.

Garage is the weirdest.

Still, Nostalgia is far and away the best. And it's no slouch in the novelty department.

Basenotes Institution

Get Garage. It made me slightly queasy when I wore it, due to a very realistic accord of lubricated, greasy metal. You know...like in a garage. (duh)

It lasts a long time and you do not need to over apply this, to get the harsh effect. I think it was sloan_8013 that said he wore it to car races and it seemed an appropriate choice for these types of events.

While you're at it, please try Tea (Series 1: Leaves) by Comme des Garcons. The black tea note is so strong and harsh that I swear it smells like hot rubber (like tires). When I was at Scent Bar with lushsoup, turquoisewater and Asha we all smelled it together and all of us were giggling at it...it smelled SO weird and a few of us were remarking how harsh & unwearable it could be to many. I personally loved it, and can't wait to own a full bottle.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th January 2009 at 06:31 PM.

I recommended Kolnisch Juchten to you on your "one of those events" thread.
    It certainly should be included in the category of weird and offensive fragrances you are seeking here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Get Garage. It made me slightly queasy when I wore it, due to a very realistic accord of lubricated, greasy metal. You know...like in a garage. (duh)

It lasts a long time and you do not need to over apply this, to get the harsh effect. I think it was sloan_8013 that said he wore it to car races and it seemed an appropriate choice for these types of events.
    i also wore Garage to a few autocross and vintage car races....and i gotta say it was a bit redundant! ha! the problem is, i pretty much camouflaged myself INTO the environment---which smelled strikingly close to the scent i was wearing!

my favourite environment for Garage use was going to see bands play.....in a small dingy NYC rock and roll venue, Garage really did fit in----and really took off. I think that was my favourite environment for it when i owned it....

If you're really searching for those types of notes in a fragrance, the choices are CDG's Odeur 53 and 71. They are weird beyond comparison.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    If you're really searching for those types of notes in a fragrance, the choices are CDG's Odeur 53 and 71. They are weird beyond comparison.
    i don't think those are even close to the weirdness of Garage or Tar....

I haven't been able to try Nostalgia yet, but I own both Tar and Garage.

Tar starts out smelling just like its namesake, which is fun, but the dry-down is really gorgeous. So to me, it's the more wearable one.

Garage also smells like its namesake, but the smell is unrelenting, and thus a lot more challenging.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best