Code of Conduct

Default Tea - Does it ever smell like tea?

So I made a random comment in a (an?) SOTD post, and I've been thinking about it since.

I tend to really like perfumes that have "tea" notes - Tea for Two, Elizabeth W Sweet Tea, CB I Hate Perfume Black Tea and Tea/Rose, and no doubt several others that I'm forgetting.

But even though I like them, they never actually smell like tea to me. They _suggest_ tea in different ways - spiced tea in Tea for Two, iced tea with lemon in Sweet Tea and Black Tea, Earl Grey if there's bergamot, but I don't actually smell _tea_.

I just smell something ... maybe something a little acrid-but-in-a-good-way, and maybe a little dry and leafy? Combined with spicy or lemon or bergamot notes, that note suggests tea, just as ... I dunno, as maybe lemon sweetened with a floral scent might suggest an orange. But the sweetened lemon wouldn't actually have real, true "orangeness".

So the question is, am I right that most perfume tea notes don't actually have real, true "teaness"? Or am I trying the wrong tea perfumes, or am I just missing something?

Crayfish

Default Re: Tea - Does it ever smell like tea?

I agree, it doesn't smell like black tea.
    I love that smell, but it always misses the point somehow.
    Bulgari has done "tea" in all its iterations--green, white, black, red. I liked the Masala tea scent Omnia and the rooibos tea scent, Au The Rouge.
    One note that comes close to smelling like tea is mate (or yerbamate). I got some from Eden Botanicals.

Neil Morris' Prowl supposedly has green tea in it.
    I didn't smell it, until I compared it side by side with Balenciega Rumba (which doesn't have that tea note).

But when wearing Prowl alone, I'm hard pressed to identify the tea note again.

Well, I would love to drink a tea that smells like Osmanthe Yunnan! But I do understand the question. It would be fun to go around emanating the scent of Earl Grey tea. Is there a fragrance that approximates that aroma?

I've wondered the same thing. I tend to fall for fragrances with tea notes (I count a dozen at the moment), but whatever their common thread is, I wouldn't have described it as a distinct tea smell.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I find the smoky tea in Tea for Two smells just like Lapsang Souchong tea. Also, to my nose Bulgari's Au The Rouge is close to tea. Other than those, I haven't found a true cuppa scent either.

Has anyone else tried Memoire Liquide's Black Tea? I have it and to me it has a very prominent and true black tea note, as well as a lot of other good things! I've actually been looking for more and it's hard to come by....
    Aside from that, I'd have to say that many of my favorite tea fragrances are not super tea-y, though there is a refreshing quality about many of them that is similar to a good cup of green or black or oolong.... Maybe what we are smelling, as with many fragrance, is the 'idea' of tea rather than the reality of it?.....must ponder further....

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    I find the smoky tea in Tea for Two smells just like Lapsang Souchong tea.
    Tea for Two is definitely the closest match to an actual beverage for me (it smells exactly like the chai served at a local coffee house).

While looking for more information on the notes for my L'Aromarine Thé/Tea, I took a Google detour and found some other tea perfume on salontea.com. They have chai, green tea, Earl Grey, and vanilla black tea, but at $33/10ml, it's a little pricey to try on a whim. (So tempted, though!)

Oh, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that Black Tea now, lizzie_j!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Thé Rouge is my top pick, too. Only the top notes, mind, after that it dissipates in some pleasant fruitiness. Annick Goutal's Duel was sorta close for black tea (I was told by the SA who spritzed it on it was a leather scent, and even with that misinformation it was still clearly tea), but I didn't like the whole.

Coffee and dark chocolate are two other scents I've not seen accurately reproduced in perfume.

Tang: that sounds tempting. I just stocked up on Darjeeling (first flush!), green tea with myrtle and a jasmine tea. I'm such a tea-purist.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

CSP's Écume de Thé has a reasonably realistic tea note and so has Brosseau's Thé Brun. I agree that T42 is very smkoy-tarry Lapsang Souchong. In those and most other cases I suppose synthetics are at work and not genuine tea absolues. I would think this to be a good choice for a natural perfume. Mandy Aftel even offers a pure black tea absolute.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Several of you have mentioned Bvlgari "tea" scents. I think Chandler Burr's review of the original Bvlgari tea scent: Eau Parfumee Au The Vert, to be quite informative of what Ellena, at least, was going for when he made a tea scent. And no, it's not "actually" a tea scent. It is supposed to suggest tea, not be it.

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...rt-by-bulgari/
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Tang: Thanks for the link. Wallet does NOT thank you but wallet can just keep quiet thanks very much!

Veuve amiot: Have you tried Ava Luxe Cafe Noir? VERY realistic coffee IMHO
    The chocolate thing is a little tougher. I, too, have not found a super realistic chocolate note though I've found a few that are close. One I'm intrigued by is Ayala Moriel's Film Noir--it's very good! I may have to wear some (from my sample) later today when the Baume au Doge wears off.

Lizzie

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Well, I would love to drink a tea that smells like Osmanthe Yunnan! But I do understand the question. It would be fun to go around emanating the scent of Earl Grey tea. Is there a fragrance that approximates that aroma?
    When I first read about OY I was hoping it would smell like the steam coming off a cup of a freshly brewed cup of Ten Ren Osmanthus Green Tea: http://www.tenren.com/osgrteaba.html
    It is similar, but not nearly as good.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 17th January 2009 at 04:20 PM.

I love "Tea for two": it is warm, spicy and creamy and very "tea-like" to me. I also had CB I Hate Perfume Russian Caravan Tea, but I only got the bergamot in that.
    Last edited by alba; 17th January 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

This is a fabulous subject you've struck upon, Cray. Good going!

I've tried many of those frags mentioned and others, and agree with you folks: no good, true black tea or dark chocolate. Au Thé Rouge comes the closest to something you'd smell from a steaming cup.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    When I first read about OY I was hoping it would smell like the steam coming off a cup of a freshly brewed cup of Ten Ren Osmanthus Green Tea: http://www.tenren.com/osgrteaba.html
    It is similar, but not nearly as good.
    Ooh, thanks SoCalWoman! I will look that up. I am trying to learn more about tea - green teas in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post

Veuve amiot: Have you tried Ava Luxe Cafe Noir? VERY realistic coffee IMHO
    Lizzie
    I have, I was sent a sample by Taolady or tang (sorry, can't remember who!). I like it a lot, but to me it still misses the vibrancy of real coffee. It's definitely the best so far, though!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Tea for Two is definitely the closest match to an actual beverage for me (it smells exactly like the chai served at a local coffee house).

While looking for more information on the notes for my L'Aromarine Thé/Tea, I took a Google detour and found some other tea perfume on salontea.com. They have chai, green tea, Earl Grey, and vanilla black tea, but at $33/10ml, it's a little pricey to try on a whim. (So tempted, though!)

Oh, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that Black Tea now, lizzie_j!
    Well, I contacted Salon Tea about their perfumes, and asked about samples. Unfortunately they don't sell the samples we like (small and inexpensive!). They have a 'sample pack' of 4 fragrances (full sized) for $118. Oh well. I suppose if several people are interested we could divvy up the bottles in order to try the fragrances (just pm me). And if not, well....I'm going to write back and ask about their possibly STARTING a sample program! Hey why not? .

Talking Re: Tea - Does it ever smell like tea?

My 10 years old son has a senstive sense of smell. I sometimes let him smell the scent I am sampling. He says Ormande Women smells "bitter tea", "Tea for two" smells "burnt tea pot full of sugar"

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    My 10 years old son has a senstive sense of smell. I sometimes let him smell the scent I am sampling. He says Ormande Women smells "bitter tea", "Tea for two" smells "burnt tea pot full of sugar"
    Wow, he's good. Lucky you!

To me Osmanthus Interdite is a lovely tea fragrance. The tea note is note over powering and center stage but definitely present. I also love Tea for Two and had I never stepped foot in my Great Uncles tobacco barn as a child it probably would smell like tea to me. As it stands Tea for Two smells just like drying tobacco to me, which is a glorious intoxicating smell and reason enough for me to own a bottle ( which I dont yet since I have a large decant).