Code of Conduct

Default Please help me classify my scents!! Plus my introduction

Hello everybody, i have been lurking for a while and have decided to join!
    How I got into frags: First off, I am a 19 year old PSU student who always sparingly( 2 sprays max) wore stetson. I was at a party, talking to a girl, when she asked, "what are you wearing?" "Stetson," I replied, expecting a pleasant reaction. To my dismay, all I received was, "uh huh, that's not my favorite cologne." Ok, I could live with that. On to party and girl number 2. HER: "What are you wearing?" Me, cautiously: "Stetson, why?" HER: "yeah, I dont like that." Hmm, well alright. Beginning to wonder if perhaps I should switch it up lol. And finally, party and subsequent girl number 3. She was relativlely hot and enebriated. Her: "What the f**k are you wearing???" Me: " I don't know, some weirdo was spraying himself over there when I got caught in the line of fire." And now, several dollar bills later, I am the owner of Armani Code, AdG, Chanel Allure, Obsession, Paco Rabanne pour homme, Drakkar(not my favorite), Burberry for men, and in the very near future, D&G PH and L'eau D'issey. Is this a solid start? Anything that would be considered essential I need? And finally, what would you wear these the frags for( party, class etc.)? Summer/ Winter? This is rather long winded, I know, but after having read many, many, many posts, I can see that you are all exceptionally nice people who seem to want to help others, which is why I am here! Thanks!

Default Re: Please help me classify my scents!! Plus my introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    And now, several dollar bills later, I am the owner of Armani Code, AdG, Chanel Allure, Obsession, Paco Rabanne pour homme, Drakkar(not my favorite), Burberry for men, and in the very near future, D&G PH and L'eau D'issey. Is this a solid start?

Sounds like a good start to me Welcome.

Good introduction, Curious, but you're right, it will take some energy to answer your questions. Also might take a while for members to think them over and put together good replies, even if they're only to one small part of your questions. We won't forget, though, and we'll try to get you some good info before party and girl number 4.

In general you've got many mass-market, easily available current scents. Nothing wrong with that, but they're a bit usual. One things Basenoters value is not being usual unless they really have an affinity for a scent. Unfortunately, your thoughts toward D&G PH and L'Eau d'Issey will keep you in the standard-fare scent category.

My initial and quick advice is that you've got to seek out and smell some of the classics for men by Guerlain, Chanel, Caron, and Hermes. Dior too. You've got to use your nose to help you pick what YOU like from them and any other lines. Pay attention to Guerlain's Habit Rouge, Vetiver, and L'Instant PH. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, and Antaeus. Caron might be harder to find but smelling Yatagan, Third Man (3ieme Homme), and L'Anarchiste will be great. Hermes Bel Ami, Equipage, and Rocabar are good places to start. Dior Eau Sauvage too.

If you're in a medium sized city you should be able to find many of those at fragrance counters. You'll have to see what your city has in terms of department stores and perfume stores though.

Those houses are the ones I often suggest members start smelling. That reflects what I think, since that's what you think. Other members will think other things are better to start with. You'll need to smell on your own to know what you want to smell like for girl #4 though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am impressed, for a 19 year old young man you did not go straight for AdG , any Boss or Polo.
    Well done.
    AdP is a great choice so is Allure and you are very brave to have gotten Paco PH m bravo!
    Allure will get you many compliments it does for me.
    Take a look at Aramis Tuscanny and also Eau de Rochas.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

My initial and quick advice is that you've got to seek out and smell some of the classics for men by Guerlain, Chanel, Caron, and Hermes. Dior too. You've got to use your nose to help you pick what YOU like from them and any other lines. Pay attention to Guerlain's Habit Rouge, Vetiver, and L'Instant PH. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, and Antaeus. Caron might be harder to find but smelling Yatagan, Third Man (3ieme Homme), and L'Anarchiste will be great. Hermes Bel Ami, Equipage, and Rocabar are good places to start. Dior Eau Sauvage too.
    Judging by his post, he wears cologne to attract/impress women. Nothing wrong with that, but the colognes you're suggesting here aren't exactly charming to girls at our age. Classic vetivers, classic citruses like Eau Sauvage, chypres, and power scents like Antaeus or Egoiste really smell "older", or a bit dated, as many girls will associate these smells with men they knew growing up (uncles etc). So you may want to bring a female friend with you that you trust when you try these colognes out my friend.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 17th January 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I am impressed, for a 19 year old young man you did not go straight for AdG , any Boss or Polo.
    Well done.
    AdP is a great choice so is Allure and you are very brave to have gotten Paco PH m bravo!
    Allure will get you many compliments it does for me.
    Take a look at Aramis Tuscanny and also Eau de Rochas.
    I believe he WAS in fact talking about AdG.

Yeah, I admit buying Acqua di Gio was a knee-jerk reaction to one of them telling me that they loved it. I never knew how many times I had smelled it and not known what I smelling until I purchased a bottle. I have to admit, though, it does smell good. Up until this point, cologne always played a very miniscule role in my "game" and I have always done fine, but I now see what impact a nice cologne can have over no cologne, and obviously a bad one. I wear it more for me than for chicks, but I would be lying if I said that were totally the case . I am going to be going to a movie tonite with my buddies and some chickas, and am considering rocking the Burberry for men being as it is going to be about 15 degrees fahrenheit. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Curious; 17th January 2009 at 07:37 PM.

AromiErotici

Welcome bro. I shall give no advice since I'm a dyed-in-the-wool old head power scent lover.

Nothing wrong with the scents you've chosen. You simply have to enjoy what you do choose to buy and wear. It's a learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Judging by his post, he wears cologne to attract/impress women. Nothing wrong with that, but the colognes you're suggesting here aren't exactly charming to girls at our age. Classic vetivers, classic citruses like Eau Sauvage, chypres, and power scents like Antaeus or Egoiste really smell "older", or a bit dated, as many girls will associate these smells with men they knew growing up (uncles etc). So you may want to bring a female friend with you that you trust when you try these colognes out my friend.

Just my 2c.
    Two cents well spent, Sokkou! Good points all. I've found that many if not most of the classics I've mentioned have found huge fans among younger men here also, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think Curious wouldn't naturally like Habit Rouge, Egoiste, Eau Sauvage, or L'Instant PH. Of course he might dislike them all still, but what can I do but suggest what I think might please his nose?

That's what I urge him to find out too--what pleases HIS nose. If the question is really what scents will get the chicks I can easily move this introduction up into the sticky thread. I'm a believer however that a scent the wearer loves can fit him and thus be attractive. Not that the scent makes him attractive.

But this is an introductory post and asked for my views, I say smell some things so that the nose knows, and start with X,Y, and Z, if you need starter places. My view is also that a new scent seeker should steer toward the classics and away from the ordinary. Your point is well made and well taken for sure though, Sokkou, and those are things Curious should keep in mind. Thanks!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I don't know what to recommend, but I can say girls who dig you only for your cologne aren't girls you want to have anyway. I view cologne as not only something that makes you smell good, but also something that makes you feel good which in turn will make you more comfortable and confident. Deep down inside, girls dig a confident guy. Cologne may be a primer, but never should be the fuel.

Oh and btw, Stetson smells pretty good.

No girl is going to be attracted to your only based off your cologne, but the wrong cologne can most definitely turn ANY girl off from wanting to get to know you better.

Sometimes I wish the points I made above weren't true Dustb, as those scents are extremely well made and unique, but even I can't appreciate them fully because I associate them the same way myself.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 17th January 2009 at 10:39 PM.

I'll suggest Dunhill Desire, based upon what the OP has said so far.

Some good scents there, in my somewhat limited experience. There's nothing wrong with AdG, despite what a lot of people will tell you. It is very common, though, and a lot of the newer Armani stuff suffers from poor longevity.

If you like AdG you should check out Bvlgari Aqva. It's more complex and less sweet/cloying than AdG and the longevity is much better.

If you want to wear something for the women, bear in mind that what they like isn't necessarily what you like. For instance, Givenchy Pi smells like custard to me, but girls seem to love it. Do you really want to wear something you dislike, just because young girls will dig it? I wouldn't, but I suppose it might be because I'm now closer to thirty than twenty. (I don't mean to patronise you, just to suggest that priorities change over time.)

Also, tastes can be different between younger and older women. Even so, it's a good thing to find something that you feel comfortable wearing, like DustB said. If it fits with your style and character, then it'll work for you.
    Last edited by the.angels.fell; 18th January 2009 at 12:38 AM.

I was at a party, talking to a girl, when she asked, "what are you wearing?" "Stetson,"
    To picture someone proudly announcing that they're wearing Stetson at a college party is like proudly confessing that you bought your clothes at K-Mart, but it's all good now that you've upgraded

19?
    To impress the gals, I'd recommend trying:
    YSL L'Homme
    Terre d'Hermès
    Versace pour Homme
    Bulgari Aqua
    Guerlain L'Instant PH

and if you risk it:
    Dior Homme
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    M7

You have a very good start, a few classics but I would keep it new and fresh. As your experience grows, so will your collection.

Just my opinion:
    Armani Code - Night/party/romance
    AdG - Summer days
    Chanel Allure - Cold weather/romance
    Obsession - Cold weather/romance
    Paco Rabanne pour homme - Day/class/work
    Drakkar Noir - Day/class/work
    Burberry for Men - ?
    D&G PH - Day/night/party/romance
    L'eau D'issey - Summer/party/romance
    Last edited by weylin; 18th January 2009 at 10:38 AM.

I like stetson. I think the vintage version is better though--smelled it from an old tester, and it was a gorgeous musky, woody, smoky scent. The one they sell now is not nearly as good, but is still rather decent.

I wonder what the girls would have said to Cumming, Don't get me wrong..., etc. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'll suggest Dunhill Desire, based upon what the OP has said so far.
    The red bottle, not the blue one. The red one would do wonders for you. Also consider Rochas Man, Escada Sunset Heat, and Burberry London - I always get compliments through the roof while wearing them.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Hi Curious,

I will not try to suggest particular frags. I will only suggest that you invest time i sampling as many frags as you can. When you wear those ones that make you smile, or nod your head, or whatever it is you do when you know that you know the scent is for you, the positive attitude it develops in you will enhance your pulling power.

Enjoy your frags first, and the other benefits will follow after you.

All the best
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

You should definitely try L'instant De Guerlain PH - that's the one I get most female compliments from, and the compliments were from a lot of females in their 20's.

Wow guys thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it! I found the stetson/k-mart comparison hilarious, because now that I have better frags, I see the truth of the statement. With all of these suggestions(99% of which I have researched on here) I have decided that I am going to have to rob banks to support my habit lol. All kidding aside, my buddy's aunt works at the local sephora, and so I am able to get a discount through her, which helps. Unfortunately, sephora does not carry everything. I will however look into getting some Rochas Man in the future. As for the Burberry for men, that wasn't my choice. I went to walmart, and pulled the box(purple) from the slot marked "Burberry London" (there were about 5 boxes in that lot). There was also another slot marked Burberry London, with three white boxes in it. I opted for the purple box. When
    I got to the truck and opened it, I found a bottle of Burberry for men. I was really angry at first, and intended to take it back the next day. However, when I put it on, I was really happy with it. All aspects seem decent: sillage, longevity, and scent.
    Once again, thanks for the help!
    p.s. I have been wearing the chanel allure on m-w-f while wearing code or obsession on t-r, all day

p.s. I have been wearing the chanel allure on m-w-f while wearing code or obsession on t-r, all day

m-w-f & t-r

I'm sorry, I get so used to speaking class schedule-ese that it carries over into places it shouldn't. What I meant was that I have been wearing Chanel Allure Homme on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday(putting it on at 9 and spritzing at 3, is this acceptable???), whereas on Tuesday and Thursday I have been wearing Armani Code or Obsession.

I'm sorry, I get so used to speaking class schedule-ese that it carries over into places it shouldn't. What I meant was that I have been wearing Chanel Allure Homme on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday(putting it on at 9 and spritzing at 3, is this acceptable???), whereas on Tuesday and Thursday I have been wearing Armani Code or Obsession.
    Ah, thanks for the translation Spritzing is up to you, especially if the longevity is weak.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 18th January 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Hello everybody, i have been lurking for a while and have decided to join!
    How I got into frags: First off, I am a 19 year old PSU student who always sparingly( 2 sprays max) wore stetson. I was at a party, talking to a girl, when she asked, "what are you wearing?" "Stetson," I replied, expecting a pleasant reaction. To my dismay, all I received was, "uh huh, that's not my favorite cologne." Ok, I could live with that. On to party and girl number 2. HER: "What are you wearing?" Me, cautiously: "Stetson, why?" HER: "yeah, I dont like that." Hmm, well alright. Beginning to wonder if perhaps I should switch it up lol. And finally, party and subsequent girl number 3. She was relativlely hot and enebriated. Her: "What the f**k are you wearing???" Me: " I don't know, some weirdo was spraying himself over there when I got caught in the line of fire." And now, several dollar bills later, I am the owner of Armani Code, AdG, Chanel Allure, Obsession, Paco Rabanne pour homme, Drakkar(not my favorite), Burberry for men, and in the very near future, D&G PH and L'eau D'issey. Is this a solid start? Anything that would be considered essential I need? And finally, what would you wear these the frags for( party, class etc.)? Summer/ Winter? This is rather long winded, I know, but after having read many, many, many posts, I can see that you are all exceptionally nice people who seem to want to help others, which is why I am here! Thanks!
    HAHA I love your third response. It seems to me like a very good start, you've got all the bases covered.

Curious as long as you continue to live up to your name I think you'll do fine.
    Your story about the Burberry for Men shows you are letting what you like guide your choices. That you actually gave a sniff before returning puts you in the right frame of mind to make good decisions.
    One last bit of advice go to your local department stores and spray most of the testers on strips and start to get a feel for what you like. As many have said, if what you are wearing as a scent makes you feel good women see and feel that confidence and will respond to it accordingly.
    Good luck in your hunt.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

very easy. if you want to collect unique scents then buy stuff you like. if you want to buy scents girls love then go fragrance shopping with a female friend, and you'll likely end up with a bunch of scents you frequently smell on other men.