Code of Conduct

Default Do you like L'Eau?

This afternoon I ducked into the new Diptyque boutique on Bleecker Street to warm up. I spritzed on L'Eau and instantly fell in love with it's clove, orange, cinnamon-y, potpourri dazzle. I was craving Santa Maria Novella's Potpourri, but this one smells so much less synthetic. It also makes me think of Opium femme with its amber base removed. An oriental top and middle on a chypre base - and it was done in 1968. Wow!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th January 2009 at 01:30 AM.

Default Re: Do you like L'Eau?

I have a sample of this which I wore a couple times (both in fairly warm weather) and didn't like it. On me it smelled like clove, clove, and more clove.

But I'll try it again in cool weather.

I really wanted to like this--and I do like the other Diptyque scents I've sampled. So there's hope yet!

It's my favorite Diptyque fragrance.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 18th January 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I like Eau! It was in fact the first Diptyque fragrance that I bought among a choice of many.

When I first wore it, though, I began to have second thoughts about whether it was really comfortably wearable, and if I could handle those intense, persistent spicy notes.

But after a couple more wearings I began to appreciate it again, and now look forward to wearing it. I'd have to think a while before designating it my favorite Diptyque, as scentemental did, but that might actually prove to be the case!

For me it works better in cooler weather, but I find that true for most fragrances. Okay, I've just talked myself into wearing it today.

noggs

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

For some stupid reason I have NEVER smelled this, on paper it sounds like a wet dream for a spice lover like me.

I must make a point to sniff it soon. I like your description of it Ruggles. So, I'm thinking it's nothing like Comme des Garcons EdP which you don't like, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    For some stupid reason I have NEVER smelled this, on paper it sounds like a wet dream for a spice lover like me.

I must make a point to sniff it soon. I like your description of it Ruggles. So, I'm thinking it's nothing like Comme des Garcons EdP which you don't like, correct?
    It doesn't do the sour turn that CdG does. I found an evolution with it tonight. Oriental/chypre-I'm groovin' man, it's really groovy. .
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th January 2009 at 05:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample of this, Eau Lente and some other Diptyques coming in the mail. I'm excited.

Post Thanks / Like

I like L'Eau de L'Eau (of which I have a decant). According to Basenoter "Trebor" in the FD:

"L'Eau de L'Eau is essentially a cologne (or watered down) version of L'Eau. If you found L'Eau a bit heavy with the cloves, give this one a try."

I haven't gotten as far as trying the non-cologne version yet.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I like L'eau as well, though my fave Diptyque (because of the cinnamon/clove) is Eau Lente.

I like l'eau best but am like early Noggs not sure I find it wearable it's so like xmas candy... thought I might wear it on xmas, but. . . couldn't bring myself to and haven't worn it since. But it's the one Dyptique I was moved to purchase and sampling it I was very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I like L'eau as well, though my fave Diptyque (because of the cinnamon/clove) is Eau Lente.
    Eau Lente is the child of L'Eau. EL is probably a bit more 'complete' as a scent due to its dynamic transformation of its bright cinnamon top notes to its creamy opoponax base. Diptyque's collection of fragrances truly deserve more recognition.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th January 2009 at 12:12 AM.