Code of Conduct

Default If I don't buy a fragrance's deo stick/spray with it, what can I use on my armpits?

Sounds dumb, but often times the spray/deo stick for a particular fragrance is quite expensive in itself, so what do you guys put on your armpits that's neutral and doesn't interfere with the fragrance you're wearing?

Blog Entries

Default Re: If I don't buy a fragrance's deo stick/spray with it, what can I use on my armpit

Ironically, I learned a good answer to this from an old poster named sampler_mike. Mitchum unscented. I like the gel, myself. Then if you want, spray the frag underarm, if you want low-key, day-long, heat-induced sillage, that's similar to a deo stick. Or if you want different sillage, spray differently, like divatologist's method. I have to say that Mitchum unscented has worked amazingly well for me. I've used other unscented deos, too.

Just another reason to spring for the "gift sets" when you can. You pick up the deo for less, and I have to say that some of them are much better than using Mitchum. The people in the industry who work on formulating these things deserve a lot of credit. They seem to tinker with the scents in the sticks remarkably well, making the deo sticks hold the scent nicely and strongly without going strange. If you do buy these things, you'll notice that they don't smell the same as the EDT. Similar, but not the same. So in a sense, I'm encouraging you to get the stick if you can. I have not had any problem with Mitchum harming scents, but it just can't match up to a good deo stick.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 18th January 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added second paragraph

Default Re: If I don't buy a fragrance's deo stick/spray with it, what can I use on my armpit

Agree that the deo stick is nice, but many scents don't have one. The easiest thing, as RP says, is to get an unscented deo (I use Secret roll-on). Another way to go are those deodorant crystal sticks. I was skeptical, but they do work and they have no scent.

The same is true for shaving products -- I use an unscented A/S balm when there is no A/S in my scent of the day.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 18th January 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: remembered other stuff
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Alternatively, you can buy something like Kiss my Face Unscented Roll-on Deodorant from many online stores for less than $4 a bottle. Squeeze the bottle with a pliers just under the ball until it pops out, spray 5-15 sprays of your scent of choice in there, pop the ball back in and you've got a custom made matching deodorant for $4 or so.

Granted, I don't do this for all of my scents, but I do with those I tend to use regularly. Otherwise I just use an unscented deodorant of some sort. Lately it's been the crystal stick, but that hasn't been doing so well so I'm going to be searching for alternatives soon.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 18th January 2009 at 01:56 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

i have used Sanex roll on anti perspirant in the past, which is good because it's a neutral smell, but I can't find it anywhere any more! Same goes for mitchum or other unscented deos/antiperspirants!

driving me nuts

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Agree that the deo stick is nice, but many scents don't have one. The easiest thing, as RP says, is to get an unscented deo (I use Secret roll-on). Another way to go are those deodorant crystal sticks. I was skeptical, but they do work and they have no scent.

The same is true for shaving products -- I use an unscented A/S balm when there is no A/S in my scent of the day.
    Which unscented A/S do you use, odysseus? I'm thinking about trying that. My wife is also interested in unscented or very neutral lotions to use with her scents. Any recommendations on that would be helpful to her. Thanks!

+1 on the Kiss my Face Unscented Deodorant.
    Ironmike if you are in the US you can get this at any Whole Foods for less than $5 and as Sculpture of Soul has quite rightly proposed you can turn any of those into your favorite scent as a roll-on.
    I just choose to use it as is and have it not interfere.

RP the best body lotion I have found is Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion w/Colloidal Oatmeal.
    This has nodiscernable scent after it is applied even though there is a slight scent when dispensed from the bottle. I noticed once I started to use this regularly the longevity of all my scents went up noticeably.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

not in the US, i just went to the kiss my face website, 4 pounds for the deodorant, 23 pounds for shipping LOL.

anyone in the UK?

For A/S balm, my first choice is Proraso Crema Liquida Dopobarba (Liquid Cream Aftershave). It has a wonderful, lightly fresh scent that only lasts for a few minutes. It is really excellent quality stuff. I get it at my Italian deli.
    Perhaps more easily available are Nivea Men Aftershave Balm in Sensitive formulation (= no scent) and also Adidas Cooling A/S balm (grey plastic bottle). Neither product says it is unscented, but they both are.
    & yes, Aveeno products are very good quality too.
    Nivea also makes a good basic unscented body lotion. I think Nivea is a British company but it is very popular here in Canada. Hope this helps.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    i have used Sanex roll on anti perspirant in the past, which is good because it's a neutral smell, but I can't find it anywhere any more! Same goes for mitchum or other unscented deos/antiperspirants!...
    I have used Secret unscented roll-on for years. It is very effective. It is a bit hard to find, not all stores or drugstores carry it. I like it better than a stick or gel. Their slogan (kind of dumb) was "strong enough for a man... but made for a woman" which sounds like meaningless advert puffery.
    odysseusm

I use Nivea Sensitive (roll-on deodorant). Unscented, so it goes with any fragrance. Cheap, too.
    Jan Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Alternatively, you can buy something like Kiss my Face Unscented Roll-on Deodorant from many online stores for less than $4 a bottle. Squeeze the bottle with a pliers just under the ball until it pops out, spray 5-15 sprays of your scent of choice in there, pop the ball back in and you've got a custom made matching deodorant for $4 or so.

Granted, I don't do this for all of my scents, but I do with those I tend to use regularly. Otherwise I just use an unscented deodorant of some sort. Lately it's been the crystal stick, but that hasn't been doing so well so I'm going to be searching for alternatives soon.
    The Mitchum gel has a removable top (not the cap, the top of the actual dispenser). Would be easy to empty all the Mitchum goop into a small bowl, mix in a few sprays of your favorite frag, and scoop the gunk back into the dispenser.

IronMike, You might want to refer to this thread.

nice^. now if only i could find somewhere that doesn't sell bloody adidas roll ons and gilette anti perspirant..FFS.