Code of Conduct

Default Ineke Derring-Do

I just wanted to comment on this fragrance since it gets such little mention around here. Derring-do is a great summery citrus fragrance, with some interesting 'niche twists' and yet still retaining a certain - one might even say simplistic - designer appeal.

It starts with a crisp citrus which smells predominantly lemony to my nose. There are marine/ozonic notes present but they serve only to elevate the citrus, to make it sparkly and crystal clear. Incidentally, they also add a bit of a metallic backdrop to the scent which is quite intriguing. Soft and gentle notes of cyclamen and magnolia start to peak through not too long after offering wonderful contrast and taming the opening which could otherwise get irksome in its sparkliness. This citrus/metallic/gentle floral phase carries on for quite awhile until a lightly woody base starts to shine through.

Sillage is moderate, longevity is good. All in all the scent is fairly simple but the cyclamen and magnolia set it apart from other citrus scents, as does its longevity considering it stays quite ethereal and transparent all the way through the base. Despite being so light, the transitions are definitely noticeable, so it can't be said to be without substance.

Definitely worth a sniff once the temperatures start to climb again. 4/5 stars.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Ineke Derring-Do

I'm glad to hear someone else has tried and enjoys Ineke fragrances! Derring-Do is quite good... my favorite from the line is Chemical Bonding, which starts off with a bright, well-rounded citrus and dries down with woods, moss, and a touch of vetiver. As Sculpture noted with Derring, the construction and balance is great, and the bottle - a thick glass cylinder etched with graphics and a metal ring around it - is very nice.

There are five Ineke fragrances (starting with the letters A through E), and you can get samples from Beautyhabit or the website.. if you get samples from the website they'll actually credit the cost of the samples off your first purchase.

Hmm, I didn't know about the sample credit thing. That's an awesome idea actually. Would be nice if all perfume houses did something like that!

That being said, I know Derring-Do is the only one explicitly labeled as masculine. How do the others fair in that regard? I'm not opposed to feminine fragrances that aren't unabashedly feminine (I wear the rather feminine Prada Amber and will soon have a bottle of Sanguine Muskissime coming to me ).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Chemical Bonding is essentially a citrus fragrance - it's no more feminine then Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte or the Guerlain Eaux.... I assume it's marketed this way only because of the assumption more women then men buy fragrances. It distinguishes itself as a citrus fragrance by being so light and airy, and the longevity is much, much better than a typical cologne.

I don't remember how the "A" (After my Own Heart) or "B" (Balmy Days & Sundays) smell, but I do remember that "E" (Evening Edged in Gold) was also very classy and entirely unisex.

Just a note - the discount from the website is if you buy the set of all five samples. They are well presented in little boxes and they are the larger (2ml) spray samples.

Sculpture if you want a Chemical Bonding sample drop me a PM.

I received a sample of Derring-Do today. To my nose it smells a lot like Davidoff's Cool Water. Does anyone else see a similarity here? (I must admit that I last smelled Cool Water a long time ago, so maybe my memory is faulty.)
    Jan Pieter

I don't find it similar to Cool Water in the least bit. Not at all actually. Cool Water is more of an aromatic fougere, where as Derring-Do is far more about citrus and florals. I liked Derring-Do a lot more at first then I do now, but for those looking for a casual, fresh, floral-citrus-aquatic hybrid with tenacity, perhaps less synthetic smelling than some designer scents I highly recommend trying it out.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Derring-Do is fantastic. I got a decant thrown in with something else a while ago, and loved it. I'm going to have to pick up the sample set so I sample the rest of Ineke's scents before i get a full bottle.

Not a fan of the smell, but it is a well made juice. Quite long lasting for a fresh rain scent.

Chemical Bonding works fine as a masculine scent. There's a floral note in it -- supposed to be Peony, I think -- but that doesn't make it any less unisex to my nose. Instead it works as a nice way of deepening and prolonging the "bright and clean" qualities of the citrus top.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    I received a sample of Derring-Do today. To my nose it smells a lot like Davidoff's Cool Water. Does anyone else see a similarity here? (I must admit that I last smelled Cool Water a long time ago, so maybe my memory is faulty.)
    The opening does have resemblance to Cool Water but it dries down partly to a Chrome-like metallic.

Blog Entries

I like Derring-Do a lot. So far, it's my favorite from the Ineke sample set. Very nice description, SoS (I actually tried it due to an earlier rec you made).

I thought that Chemical Bonding was interesting (clearly, I had to try that one), and I thought it had a bit of an aldehyde sparkle, but not so much that it bothered me (that sparkle is not very common in guy scents, and takes a bit to get used to). Intriguing, but I still prefer Derring-Do. If I bottle on an Ineke scent, that will be the one.

I love her ad images for Derring-Do. The rain-moistened typewriter keys remind me of the fascinating Enigma machine. And thus one of my favorite movies!

I bought a decant of Derring-do awhile back. It's rather expensive, so I try to be kinda selective as to when I wear it.
    I'm lead to believe that this is ideal for rainy spring days, so that is when I'll most likely reach for it. I'm not really sure if I'm a big fan of it, though. Still waiting for that first compliment or even comment on the frag from coworkers. Leather isn't listed as a note, but that seems to be the prominent aspect to my nose. Not sure if I'll be to anxious to reorder this one when the decant goes dry. I may just stick to Canali Men, which I feel is a wonderful leather citrus frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I like Derring-Do a lot. So far, it's my favorite from the Ineke sample set. Very nice description, SoS (I actually tried it due to an earlier rec you made).

I thought that Chemical Bonding was interesting (clearly, I had to try that one), and I thought it had a bit of an aldehyde sparkle, but not so much that it bothered me (that sparkle is not very common in guy scents, and takes a bit to get used to). Intriguing, but I still prefer Derring-Do. If I bottle on an Ineke scent, that will be the one.

I love her ad images for Derring-Do. The rain-moistened typewriter keys remind me of the fascinating Enigma machine. And thus one of my favorite movies!
    I love the imagery of morning rain--first glimmers of light--and the name "Derring-Do." I am reminded of the inspiration for Annick Goutal's Duel: "the unbridled dawn vision."

Does Derring-Do infer an impending duel? A man, having made his hasty toilette, rushes to an appointed place to meet an adversary in a misty clearing in a public park? This does have some fresh notes, so I will have to sample this.

http://www.annickgoutal.com/annick+g...2C+Woody/49/73
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th April 2010 at 05:42 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I somehow missed this thread when SoS first started it. You can count me a fan of Derring-Do as well. It has actually become my fragrance for the golf course. To me it smells like what you would imagine clean water smelling like (if it had a smell). Anyway, at the risk of sounding crazy, it is almost "hydrating" to smell it. At least in my mind it is, and that's a great thing for the hot days on the links. Also its light, never cloying, and most importantly doesn't explode in projection when you get hot or sweat.

I highly recommend trying it. I too got a decant, and am trying to be conservative with it. I will purchase again when that decant is gone, and will have to decide whether to go with another decant or a full bottle.

I really like Derring Do and having purchased their sample set a couple of years back, I went ahead and purchased a full bottle from Liberty in London.
    The only thing that lets it down on me is that I never get more than 2 hours worth out of it before it fades, but whilst it lasts, it's very clean and pleasant.

Interesting
    any similarities to Puro Lino?
    a lot of the comments on this frag are very similar to comments made on Puro Lino, which has been on my Want List for a while
    I would like to hear someone comment on the two

thanks!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Interesting
    any similarities to Puro Lino?
    a lot of the comments on this frag are very similar to comments made on Puro Lino, which has been on my Want List for a while
    I would like to hear someone comment on the two

thanks!
    I find it nothing like Puro Lino. Puro Lino is sharp and floral. Derring-Do, in retrospect to my earlier comment, is much more about citrus.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Just a little something is add to this thread. I like Ineke's Field Notes From Paris (the tobacco is wonderful), but Derring-Do is a fresh gust of morning air.

I am glad Ineke is now carried at places like Nordstrom. She is personable and I am happy her business has taken off, esp. in Europe!

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/derring-do.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.