Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Etienne Aigner #1

This sure is a well balanced leather chypre. I finally had the opportunity to wear this juice. I'm not too familiar with this house, but this is very good.

Bergamot oil, Clary sage oil, Galbanum, Lemon, Marjoram, Neroli

Heart

Geranium, Jasmine, Orris, Patchouli, Sandal, Vetiver

Base

Amber, Leather, Moss, Tonka, Vanilla

I believe this is good enough to put in the wardrobe. How does this stack up to other Aigner releases?

AromiErotici

Default Re: Etienne Aigner #1

No opinions on how this release compares to other Aigner scents like Private number, Free Life, etc........

keep Mining em AE..!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    keep mining em ae..!
    I'm trying Jen lol
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 23rd January 2009 at 01:00 PM.

AromiErotici

I inadvertently stumbled upon my own thread while using the search function. Almost 2 years have passed and I have to say that, in that time, the house of Aigner quietly released some outstanding designer masculines.

I own Super Fragrance, Free Life, Statement, Silver and have another Aigner #1 on the way and ALL of them are bottle worthy and exceptional.

Super Fragrance is a classic powerbomb and smells like nothing else I've ever come across.
    Free Life is like a Sport version of Super Fragrance.
    Statement is a powerful Fresh Fougere with a strong fruit accord.
    Silver is a very smooth leather chypre that implements well done "green accords".
    Aigner #1 is already described above and is terrific.

Aigner 2 is the only one left that I have an interest in and haven't tried yet. A blind buy doesn't seem risky at all considering when it was released and the quality of the others I have that were made in that era. Aigner ( at least back then) was doing something really right.

Dependent

Dang, I wished i knew this earlier!! I managed to find couple of bottles of Aigner 2. I think my last one, Dimitrios bought it. I could have made made you a sample. Nevermind, next time, I'll keep a look out. This is something you'd probably enjoy, based on your wardrobe of monsters. :-D

I also own Superfragrance, Statement, Silver, and Private Number.

I have some of their older women's fragrances, too: Superfragrance for Women, Provocation, C'est Moi, Private Number for Women. The first three of these are not listed in the Basenotes directory.

I agree with Aromi that these earlier Aigner fragrances are just great. Some of their recent ones aren't bad considering some of the other stuff around, but they cannot hold a candle to these older ones.

BTW, I have one Aigner fragrance that I'm confused about. I will post a photo later, but it is labeled as Aigner No. 1 (I think) and is packaged in a sort of tube like bottle similar to what Montale uses, only smaller. It smells more like a feminine or unisex fragrance than a traditional male fragrance. I've said that I own No. 1 in my wardrobe, but I'm not sure this is the same No. 1. I got this from Basenoter david, who seemed to think it was a very early release of a feminine fragrance.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    ...Aigner 2 is the only one left that I have an interest in and haven't tried yet. A blind buy doesn't seem risky at all...
    Lucky you! Mine's the reverse. No.2 is the only one of the older ones i have come across, and it has been love love love since 1981. Please blind-buy. I just know you will be blown away by it.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Dang, I wished i knew this earlier!! I managed to find couple of bottles of Aigner 2. I think my last one, Dimitrios bought it. I could have made made you a sample. Nevermind, next time, I'll keep a look out. This is something you'd probably enjoy, based on your wardrobe of monsters. :-D
    Hi Guys ,
    Yes i did & what a super frag it is !!
    It was a mere sniff of the A/S that had me hooked , & now I have Matts , EDT to go with that After Shave , * i must mention that there is also a cologne version .
    Anyway your in luck Aromi , samples of these German powerhouse classics coming your way , along with some other Italiano obscurities .
    cheers guys

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hi Guys ,
    Yes i did & what a super frag it is !!
    It was a mere sniff of the A/S that had me hooked , & now I have Matts , EDT to go with that After Shave , * i must mention that there is also a cologne version .
    Anyway your in luck Aromi , samples of these German powerhouse classics coming your way , along with some other Italiano obscurities .
    cheers guys

Thank you bro !!! Naturally, some moustache curling bombs will be finding their way to the land down under as well.

I agree that some of the early Aigners were very well crafted perfumes. I donīt care for a lot of the newer ones, but there is an exception : Aigner in Leather, (WOMENS)..... NOT the mens version which is terrible ! Aigner in Leather for women is outstanding and very wearable for a man. It is very close to vintage Scandal from Lanvin. A beautiful creamy beige leather fragrance. Definitely worth checking out.

Could someone please confirm or deny that what is in the images I've attached is the Aigner No. 1 that is being discussed here?

It is obvious that it is labeled No. 1 on the bottle, but I just want to make sure. I've never seen another bottle of this to compare, and am a bit confused about it.

The bottle is made of brown colored (or painted) glass and contains an unusual 130 ml. I've attached photos of both the front and the back of the bottle.

Thanks!

Aigner No 1 front.jpg
    Aigner No 1 back.jpg

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Could someone please confirm or deny that what is in the images I've attached is the Aigner No. 1 that is being discussed here?

It is obvious that it is labeled No. 1 on the bottle, but I just want to make sure. I've never seen another bottle of this to compare, and am a bit confused about it.

The bottle is made of brown colored (or painted) glass and contains an unusual 130 ml. I've attached photos of both the front and the back of the bottle.

Thanks!

Aigner No 1 front.jpg
    Aigner No 1 back.jpg
    noggs.......I have only had the glass bottle with green juice. It came in 4.2oz splash. Maybe the spray renditions came in the bottle you have imaged. There's only one masculine #1 that I'm aware of, so you must have the real deal spray release. Every one I've seen have been splash bottles so far.......except yours.

Thanks, Aromi.

After wearing it a few more times and comparing what I'm smelling with the notes listed for Aigner No. 1, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. The bottle is just strange to me.

Is your bottle of No. 1 similar in shape and style to those used for Aigner No. 2 or Private Number? I was expecting something like that for Aigner No. 1.

further info ....
    Etienne Aigner #1 bottles are not the round shouldered type as used by EA 2 .
    They are like the classic Aramis square cut traditional type shape .

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    further info ....
    Etienne Aigner #1 bottles are not the round shouldered type as used by EA 2 .
    They are like the classic Aramis square cut traditional type shape .
    Jim.......have you ever seen one like the bottle noggs has?

never , only the traditional rectangular straight cut , like the classic Aramis , in two sizes .

AromiErotici

I can't figure it out. I have only found the splash bottles like you described and couldn't find anything else by googling or going to the sites that normally solve these questions for me.

AS far as I could tell, Aigner never released a feminine scent under the #1 name, so it would have to be masculine. The only thing I can figure is that it's a spray version in a bottle that they didn't make many of. In 1975, there was quite a bit of splash renditions of masculine scents out there.

Well, I've never smelled No. 1 from the rectangular bottle, so I can't be certain that this is the same fragrance.

I think my comments above about this possibly being a feminine fragrance are wrong. I think this could be worn by a woman, but it still seems more masculine to me. The drydown is powdery and a bit sweet. I get little if any leather out of it. Perhaps a very soft, subtle suede leather, but it seems more like a slightly spicy woody oriental to me.

I'm hoping david will chime in. We discussed this briefly when I bought it, but I can't remember everything we talked about. He might have more insight about what this really is.

Hi noggs,
    To be honest Iīm not 100% sure about this one either. I have tried the No.1 in the glass bottle, but it was such a long time ago, long before I aquired the vintage bottles. I would need to test them back to back. I would not rule out that there wasnīt a No.1
    for women either, even though it may not be listed in the fragrance directory. Sorry to be of so little help. I will try to research this more next time I visit berlin.

AromiErotici

The Aigner #1 mystery continues..........

Yep, this is the same fragrance as the square bottle - I remember seeing it back then - don't know why I didn't buy it!! I do have a 50 ml bottle of the splash bottle and yes, the fragrance is rather powdery - haven't worn this for a while but this is the only one released for men - they used to release unusual quantities back in the 70's and 80's and not the usual 50 or 100 ml found these days. Aigner is one of favourite houses - I do have No 2and it is soooo different from No 1, don't know if a blind buy is recommended - it starts off very soapy and then I find that it turns into the cleanest scent (fresh and woody at the same time) I have ever worn - not an oriental leathery fragrance at all!!! Sometimes that is what you need - a breath of fresh air and it smells like that to me. I say go for it! I do have the other mens fragrances Super Fragrance, Silver, Statement, Private Number, In Leather (For men and women - have to agree the womens is far better), Clear Day, Black and XXL. I found of the newer releases, there are some for women that are far more interesting than the mens - I still cherish the ones from the good old days ....

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    ..... The drydown is powdery and a bit sweet. I get little if any leather out of it. Perhaps a very soft, subtle suede leather, but it seems more like a slightly spicy woody oriental to me.
    bingo !! well reviewd noggs , it is precisely how i would describe it .
    My bottle always sat alongside the orientals .
    Now this has become the definitive Aigner #1 thread !
    well done lads
    cheers

Just to let everyone know that there is a drugstore chain in germany called Rossmann. They seem to have some sort of arrangement with Aigner and there are always special deals, (usually rotated on a 2 week basis) With different Aigner fragrances offered incredibly cheap. They are often the 30ml or 50ml - usually between €9 -€15. They also often have the giant Aigner shower gels on special offer. Google Rossmann to find out more.

Iīve just checked the website. Itīs not very user friendly/logical. You have to find and click on Versand, (german for catalogue shopping) - then you will find loads of deals for Aigner products. If you just enter Aigner in Suche, (search) it doesnīt work and you will not find anything.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Iīve just checked the website. Itīs not very user friendly/logical. You have to find and click on Versand, (german for catalogue shopping) - then you will find loads of deals for Aigner products. If you just enter Aigner in Suche, (search) it doesnīt work and you will not find anything.
    david.......do you have a link?

Sorry AromiErotici,
    I donīt know how to do links - Iīm hopeless with computers !!!.....I just googled Rossmann, found their website and entered Aigner on the versand / catalogue - suche /search. I wish I knew how to do links....come to that, I wish I knew how to put a photo on my thread and how to put a motto at the bottom of my threads.......thatīs how bad I am !

Here is a link showing search results for Aigner:

http://www.rossmannversand.de/Deskto...keyword=aigner

Thanks once again for your help noggs.
    I would also like to mention here that I find Private Number, (WOMENS) really ecxeptional and outstanding. I always get compliments when I wear it.
    Also worth checking out are the classics from the german firm Ellen Betrix and a fragrance called Marrakech Tales, (later re-released under the name Fishbone Man) from Maurer+Wirtz.