Code of Conduct

Default Bel Ami and Antaeus. Brothers?

I think Hermes Bel Ami is a lighter version of CHANEL Antaeus.. Agreed??

Default Re: Bel Ami and Antaeus. Brothers?

Not in my experience.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Blog Entries

I don't get much resemblance. The vintage of both are more leather-heavy (and vintage Antaeus is less powdery). So you can get some similarities in them.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Blog Entries

WHICH Bel Ami are you referring to? the reformulated Bel Ami is a totally different scent than the original.

either way....i don't think either are similar to Antaeus.....very different scents IMO.

Both are very masculine, but Antaeus is of the 'aromatic' variety (herbs, lavender), and Bel Ami is more of the 'leather chypre' variety. Both great, but not alike.

Not at all: spicy top notes proper of Bel Ami are absent in Antaeus, whose top notes are clearly floral. They share common base notes in terms of the leather notes present, but do take in mind there are still differences between these ones too.

Wink Re: Bel Ami and Antaeus. Brothers?

Hello all!

I'm not active on the boards but boy do I lurk!

Rather than create a whole new thread I'd rather revive this one to get your current opinions on these two fragrances.
    I have tried both Antaeus (decant) and Bel Ami (small sample) and I like them both, but can't decide which to get a full bottle (current formulation).
    Here's the caveat: Antaeus floral opening is somewhat challenging to my nose and Bel Ami's cumin note is tough to digest at first yet their drydown is to my liking.

So, which do you prefer and why? Please kindly expound.

Thanks!

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by fragsrock View Post

Thanks!
    Own and like both, but prefer the Hermes as it smells better to me, throughout.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Rather than create a whole new thread I'd rather revive this one to get your current opinions on these two fragrances.
    I have tried both Antaeus (decant) and Bel Ami (small sample) and I like them both, but can't decide which to get a full bottle (current formulation).
    Here's the caveat: Antaeus floral opening is somewhat challenging to my nose and Bel Ami's cumin note is tough to digest at first yet their drydown is to my liking.

This is a tough choice. I tend to prefer Antaeus, but I've been wearing Bel Ami today and loving it. The openings of both are fantastic to my nose.
    Currently wearing: Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I'd probably go with Antaeus, but I haven't smelled the current version.

As mentioned, both are excellent and it's hard to go wrong.
    Currently wearing: Berlin Im Winter by Baruti

Both are excellent in their vintage formulations. Antaeus has a stronger personality. It reminds me of older gentlemen I sometimes see at airports that wear Tweed sportscoats and are properly dressed like they are still in the 1970's.

Bel Ami is more understated, it is quietly charming.

I slightly prefer Antaeus.

Basenotes Plus

Bel Ami is my first love, current formulation has yet to be sniffed. Antaeus, current is very good scent, Vintage is a superb.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Lanvin by Lanvin

Always be smelling

Both are good fragrances in current formulation. And masterpiece in their vintage form.
    If I were to pick one, it would be Antaeus if you go Vintage or Bel Ami if you want to stick to current Formulation

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Bel Ami is my first love, current formulation has yet to be sniffed. Antaeus, current is very good scent, Vintage is a superb.
    Same here...Bel Ami stands higher on my vintage lists & I mean the top 5; Antaeus will be somewhere in the 6-10...
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Thank you all for your responses! It is indeed a tough choice. I failed to mention that I own Bel Ami Vetiver - I like that sort of brown/green smell in the first stages and then that vetiver pops in the drydown.

Would it be redundant to own the current Bel Ami?

Prefer Bel Ami, and, worth having it even with BAV IMO

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Personally much prefer Antaeus, though also like Bel Ami a lot.

(based on current formulations)
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

...it's more the other way around: Antaeus is the frisky young colt and Bel Ami the dark old grumbler...

Hello all!

Thanks!
    ...you cannot steal another one's thread...just make a new one of your own...!!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The bee's wax accord sets Antaeus apart from Bel Ami or indeed any other frag i know.

Both are very good though. If forced, i would choose Antaeus.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Hello all!

Thanks!
    In their vintage formulations, I like them both and find them very diffferent, so it would be hard for me to pick one. Maybe I'd say Antaeus, just because I think it performs better in terms of longevity - I've always found Bel Ami as much superb as a bit too light.

In their current formulations I'd surely pick Bel Ami instead, which has surely been watered down and made a bit more flat, but just that, it's still nice and still has Bel Ami footprint. Nothing closer to the disgusting mess they did with Antaeus (I know many still appreciate the current version; I find it screechy and horrid).
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 24th September 2016 at 10:13 AM.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Nothing closer to the disgusting mess they did with Antaeus (I know many still appreciate the current version; I find it screechy and horrid).
    ...your review which does not say anything about vintage or current versions...maybe you can update your view on it...?

A magnificent, raw but refined opening of musky castoreum, warm but dry and really close to leather (like in Knize Ten and other classics), but gently softened by aromatic woods, spices and silky colourful hints of flowers. Animalic but friendly and elegant, it has a typical fougère "gloominess" but it also appears more "young", relaxed and modern than most of other more classic and austere fougères, and also more sophisticated and sharp. The evolution is quite predictable, as it remains a castoreum-leather smoky accord, just drier and lighter as hours pass. Restrained and noble, always without being too shady or heavy, rather keeping it slightly "airy" and more lively thanks to rose, jasmine and fresh tasty herbs like thyme and sage. Versatile, classy, cozy, masculine. Timeless classic!

8,5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...it's more the other way around: Antaeus is the frisky young colt and Bel Ami the dark old grumbler...
    Antaeus a frisky young colt ? Are you trying to be a comedian ? One of the more odd things I have read here recently.

Bel Ami > Antaeus
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Wearing BAV today and think I'm leaning towards Bel Ami. Tried Antaeus last night and feel it loses direction/balance in the drydown - the heart is pleasing though.
    Last edited by fragsrock; 24th September 2016 at 11:33 PM.

Vintage vs vintage, Bel Ami by a small margin
    Current vs current, Bel Ami by a much wider margin

I really like vintage Anateus, I love vintage Bel Ami.
    Vintage Bel Ami is a top 5 fragrance for me while vintage Anateus is a top 15. It really comes down to uniqueness... There's nothing like vintage Bel Ami, and if there is, I'd love to find it

Wit that said, both are great fragrances in their own right but very different.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Acteur by Azzaro

Smelled the latest iteration of Antaeus again today at Saks. This smells like a fragrance that was a Oh Heck No in 1960, that they pulled out to show me today....

Bel Ami can come across dated as well, but at least you get the sense it's well done... no matter when it came out. Not the case with Antaeus. Bel Ami still wins this one still IMO.