Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme Vs Gucci Envy

So after trying a handful of samples from Sephora, including these two, I decided on the Dior. Initially I thought the Envy was nice, but there's an oatmeal smell to it that gave me some doubts. I liked the Dior, though it reminds me of bannana-nut bread, which I felt may grow to be a nuisance, but I felt I'd take a chance. But I bought it anyways. Well yesterday I decided to wear the Envy from the sample, and I really liked how it smelled on me. So I plan to buy it, but now, I'm having doubts about the Dior. I'll admit though-I felt mighty sophisticated the few times I've worn it, but there's something about it that is just too...bannana.

So, I want opinions. I'm considering a swap. Should I be? Should I hold onto the Dior? Will/should it grow on me? And between the two, which one do you prefer? And if possible, don't let my opinions influence you either way...

Default Re: Dior Homme Vs Gucci Envy

Dior homme is a very nice scent, and it is much more elegant and original than Envy. You have done a excellent choice, and you have good taste.

Dior Homme is top-notch - classy, refined and subtle. It's not your typical male fragrance and thus some people have a tough time getting into it, but it's well worth giving it a few wears. If you like the iris aspect of Dior Homme, there's always the EdC version, and if you like the cocoa/gourmand aspect of it, there's always the EdP version. The nice thing about DH is that it's so versatile. You can wear it in any temperature and in any situation, casual or formal.

Envy is totally, 100% different. It's definitely a thick, heavy and classy fragrance but it's not nearly as versatile. I used to own it, and I never wanted to wear it if it was warm out, and sometimes I found it too cloying after a while. The nice thing about either of these fragrances is that neither are very expensive.

I'd stick with the Dior Homme....

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Dior homme is a very nice scent, and it is much more elegant and original than Envy. You have done a excellent choice, and you have good taste.
    Thanx man. I appreciate it. I'd wear it today, but I already have a little D&G on in addition to a little A*men from last night. Besides, I'm headed to the Body Works store to try White Musk for men.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Dior Homme is top-notch - classy, refined and subtle. It's not your typical male fragrance and thus some people have a tough time getting into it, but it's well worth giving it a few wears. If you like the iris aspect of Dior Homme, there's always the EdC version, and if you like the cocoa/gourmand aspect of it, there's always the EdP version. The nice thing about DH is that it's so versatile. You can wear it in any temperature and in any situation, casual or formal.

Envy is totally, 100% different. It's definitely a thick, heavy and classy fragrance but it's not nearly as versatile. I used to own it, and I never wanted to wear it if it was warm out, and sometimes I found it too cloying after a while. The nice thing about either of these fragrances is that neither are very expensive.

I'd stick with the Dior Homme....
    I do like the cocoa in Dior. It's soft and pleasant. But I dunno...there's that bannana-nut bread thing. Hmm...could that be the cocoa? I can't pick apart the different notes like a lot of you can...not yet.

Definitely keep the Dior. While Envy is nice, it is one of those heavily sweet gourmandy orientals for which there are LOTS of good (and imho better) alternatives. Dior Homme, on the other hand, is quite unique and extremely elegant, so that I would agree you made the right choice.

I agree with those who've chosen Dior Homme over Envy. As it evolves, there are a few bumps in the road, but overall, definitely DH over Envy.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Ooh, I have both so I'd be hard pressed to choose one over the other. I like them both equally.

You seem to use a lot of food terms to describe things - maybe you should explore the Demeter line?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

My vote goes for Gucci Envy all the way very masculine, and women love it,

Dior Homme is just too feminine for my tastes

I'm having serious trouble to convince myself Dior Homme is a male fragrance. It smells more feminine than many "designated" female ones! It smells GREAT, mind you, on women IMHO, but on a guy? I donno ...
    Last edited by abc1234; 19th January 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Blog Entries

dior homme......by a huge margin.

it's only feminine, if you are feminine. otherwise, it's as manly as any other scent---in my honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    I'm having serious trouble to convince myself Dior Homme is a male fragrance. It smells more feminine than many "designated" female ones! It smells GREAT, mind you, on women IMHO, but on a guy? I donno ...
    Many think it's a bit unisex. In fact, my 15 year old sister wore that one evening after I had her sniff it. That is the ONLY fragrance I own that she has ever actually worn. I couldn't believe it. I sprayed it on my mother, and she liked it as well. So it does seem like quite a unisex fragrance. I must say though-I'm surprised there aren't more Envy nods in this thread. I think perhaps I should hold onto the Dior and give it a few more tries.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post

it's only feminine, if you are feminine. otherwise, it's as manly as any other scent---in my honest opinion.
    That's funny coming from you, because I could have sworn I saw you post recently in another thread that Dior was feminine or something to that effect. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Ok...you said you sold a half bottle of Dior. I was mistaken about you saying it was feminine. So you think its masculine enough, but...? What didn't you like about it? Why'd you give it up?

I think DH is a little difficult for some in the top notes. However, the base is pretty much pure leather fougere to my nose. I own it and like it very much, but it definitely has a masculine edge, IMO.

I agree with what the others have said about Gucci--try others in that genre because I think there are some which are better.

Quote Originally Posted by everso
    it's only feminine, if you are feminine. otherwise, it's as manly as any other scent---in my honest opinion
    Thanks, everso.... I get quite irritated with comments that Dior Homme is in any way 'feminine' - I'd say at most it's unisex touching on unisex gourmand, and the leathery quality in the heart and touch of vetiver in the drydown is fairly masculine. It's certainly no burly 80s macho fragrance, but it's not supposed to be. More importantly, it's how you wear it. Like everso said, if you're masculine, the fragrance you wear will reflect that. Honestly, I don't get the fear people have of wearing something that isn't super-masculine. I'm entirely comfortable with my masculinity and there isn't any fragrance that's going to lead anyone to think otherwise - especially not random passers by who smell my fragrance (who cares what they think). The people that know me personally who may smell it certainly wouldn't doubt my masculinity because I'm wearing Dior Homme. It's all in the mind.

If you want to criticize Dior Homme because you don't like it, that's one thing (to each their own). To criticize is solely for not being masculine enough is to ignore the fact that (a) perceptions of what is 'masculine' and 'feminine' are not universally shared by everyone, and (b) there's nothing wrong with guys wearing feminine-marketed, or feminine-smelling, fragrances and vice-versa. I'm so glad BN turned me onto the concept of "if you like it, wear it" because it's opened up a world of fragrance for me to try and appreciate. It's surprising that more people who post here aren't catching on to this concept, which is pretty much the norm among most people who post here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Ok...you said you sold a half bottle of Dior. I was mistaken about you saying it was feminine. So you think its masculine enough, but...? What didn't you like about it? Why'd you give it up?
    actually the only reason i sold it was to make room for some other, more hardcore leather fragrances that i've been wanting. i'm not someone who wants to collect alot of bottles...i'd like to keep them in a reasonable number-----which is why i sold my bottle of Dior Homme.

the primary reason i sold it, is because it is in production, easy to find, easy to buy-----unlike some of the other fragrances i'm after these days!

i wouldn't call it super masculine or anything, but i certainly never thought of it as feminine either.....i just think it's a very nicely made, soft, and elegant fragrance for confident people.....

Thanks, everso.... I get quite irritated with comments that Dior Homme is in any way 'feminine' - I'd say at most it's unisex touching on unisex gourmand, and the leathery quality in the heart and touch of vetiver in the drydown is fairly masculine. It's certainly no burly 80s macho fragrance, but it's not supposed to be. More importantly, it's how you wear it. Like everso said, if you're masculine, the fragrance you wear will reflect that. Honestly, I don't get the fear people have of wearing something that isn't super-masculine. I'm entirely comfortable with my masculinity and there isn't any fragrance that's going to lead anyone to think otherwise - especially not random passers by who smell my fragrance (who cares what they think). The people that know me personally who may smell it certainly wouldn't doubt my masculinity because I'm wearing Dior Homme. It's all in the mind.

If you want to criticize Dior Homme because you don't like it, that's one thing (to each their own). To criticize is solely for not being masculine enough is to ignore the fact that (a) perceptions of what is 'masculine' and 'feminine' are not universally shared by everyone, and (b) there's nothing wrong with guys wearing feminine-marketed, or feminine-smelling, fragrances and vice-versa. I'm so glad BN turned me onto the concept of "if you like it, wear it" because it's opened up a world of fragrance for me to try and appreciate. It's surprising that more people who post here aren't catching on to this concept, which is pretty much the norm among most people who post here.

It seems like you take it personal if someone criticizes if it is too feminine or too masculine. I don't see the big deal. That is the main reason why I do not like the fragrance. Other then that I think it smells great on a woman not a man.

Am i not allowed to give comments on why I do not like it? I do not see the big deal?

Personally it gives me memories of a makeup bag from my girlfriend and it smells great on her

original poster asked for our opinions and i gave mine based on several samplings
    Last edited by denec; 19th January 2009 at 05:05 AM.

I don't smell cocoa or banana bread! Dang... I wish I could find a banana bread scent, I'd be in heaven..
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by denec
    Am i not allowed to give comments on why I do not like it? I do not see the big deal?
    I don't take anything personally, and of course you can give your comments - just as I gave mine. I simply don't think the label "feminine" is a helpful description/opinion because it's vague and means different things to different people. Saying something is feminine doesn't tell us anything substantive about the fragrance. For every description of what 'feminine' may mean, I could find a masculine marketed fragrance that meets that description. Floral? Sweet? Fruity? There are masculines that fit these descriptions. My point is that ultimately what is 'feminine' and 'masculine' is subjective, thus the labels are meaningless.

What notes and accords of Dior Homme are 'feminine'? The leather? Cocoa? Iris? More importantly, what feminine fragrances smell like Dior Homme? Is the opinion that it's feminine based on actual comparison to feminine fragrances? The fact that someone along the line made the 'lipstick' criticism has become the basis for the 'smells like makeup' comments, and from what I can tell from my wife's makeup bag, it's not even the slightest bit close. I don't smell cocoa, iris, vetiver, or leather in her makeup. Just like many people think Helmut Lang has a 'butter' note, close analysis reveals that the confluence of many notes create a buttery feel - there's no 'butter' note. Similarly, the confluence of some Dior Homme topnotes may superficially create a vibe like certain lipsticks, but this is fleeting and does represent the entirety of Dior Homme as a fragrance - certainly not the drydown.

Describing what someone doesn't like about a fragrance is much more helpful than an amorphous label like 'feminine'. I also happen to think that 'feminine' is not a helpful or necessarily valid criticism because there's nothing wrong with something that smells 'feminine', and even if Dior Homme smelled feminine (it does not), that doesn't explain why it is or isn't a fragrance to recommend, sample, or own. If someone likes Dior Homme, they shouldn't be made to feel like there's something wrong with it because someone else interprets masculine smells in one particular way. It just happens to be my opinion that gender labels are essentially meaningless and if someone truly appreciates the artistry of perfumery, a fragrance's placement in the women's or men's counter shouldn't matter. It's unfortunate that people are stuck with antiquated notions that they must only wear fragrances marketed to them, and I'll do my best to articulate an alternate viewpoint.

Hello all,

First post after long-time lurking.

Anyways, I recall when I tried both DH and GE I was instantly turned off by GE (though I adore the GE girls version sprayed on girls!)

DH is noted as Soft Floral under Michael Edwards system so I know fully what I was walking into: Possible "feminine" scent territory.

Despite the fact I like gourmand scents, I find with 2 of my gourmand faves like Guerlain Instant Homme and the DH, I was not crash-hot on the top notes of either. But I smiled when I smelled them 10 minutes later*. So - my vote goes to DH...

PS banana is one of my regular staple fruit and I'd be sure to note it if I can smell in DH but I can't. I'm wearing DH today all day and if I need to describe it in food terms, "Dark Chocolate" is what I smell.

*: The only criteria I use. No smile = no buy.

As others have pointed out, if you like it, wear it. I generally think of the basenotes community as pretty open minded. Many forum members here have both male and female scents. The popularity of Black Orchid among male members here is just one example. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. In fact, I think it is kinda neat for someone to wear something that goes against the norm.

Now that said, I really don't like Dior Homme. I went to Sephora a couple months back and was told by the SA that it was their top selling masculine fragrance. I tried a small spray, walked around the mall a bit, and just wasn't too fond of the scent. However, do to the enormous amount of praise I see for the frag, I decided to get a sample spray container. I've since tried it a number of times. I just can't get into this fragrance. I don't think it is a poorly designed frag. I like how it doesn't conform to the main, popular trends in male fragrances. However, I really find the sweet cocoa and powdery amber accord off-putting. I find the sweetness to be a bit cloying. In addition, I really don't like floral scents in general and that iris note is not to my liking. Lastly, you guys are gonna kill me, but I really do find the scent to be too feminine for my tastes. I feel like the scent could easily be marketed to women or at least as unisex. Now let me restate, there is nothing wrong with a feminine scent. Also, this is just my opinion.

The basenotes reference puts it perfectly:
    The majority of feminine fragrances are floral...While in the past, floral scent has been considered as very masculine. Nowadays, especially in the west, these are slightly less popular as a men's category.

This just goes to show that what is masculine and feminine can vary depending on many factors including culture, one's frame of reference, etc. I am someone who strongly believes that society and the environment we grow up in greatly shapes our perceptions of everything. I do believe, however, that describing a fragrance as masculine or feminine is indeed helpful since there are certain norms that we are exposed to that make us think something is feminine. Just like we often think of makeup, the color pink, and flowers as womanly!

User mrclmind put it very well in his review of the scent as well:
    I loved this one at first sniff, and still love it today. I think that Iris has been much too feminized over the years and its nice to smell some decent masculine interpretations of the scent. That being said, I could easily imagine a woman wearing Dior Homme. It is really the best offering of 2005.

It is interesting to juxtapose some of the postings in this thread and the respective poster's wardrobe.

To me the only possible reason for Dior Homme being too feminine would be the iris note which is often associated with certain make-up products. In my mind the iris works to the effect of getting a very distinct smell of wood freshly cut out of a tree (in both the regular and intense version), which feels less compatible for unisex wear than, e.g., Opium pour Homme or Brit for Men. I love Dior Homme and to my lucky nose it is absolutely a masculine fragrance (which doesn't mean a woman can absolutely not pull this off). I have the Intense version and am thinking about getting the Cologne as well for summer.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 19th January 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Don't forget to try the Dior Homme Intense version! Please.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Dior Homme.
    I went from wooooooooow this is excellent.
    Then I thought the iris was making it very feminine but I still thought it was great.
    Then I parked it for sometime and cared more about the great bottle design than the juice itself.
    I revisited and wore it several times but I got bored. To me is very linear, there is no more mystery to it.
    I had in my hand a bottle of Intense and I passed.
    I still have 50 ml left and I think it will last me a long time.
    Great fragrance but ... for some reason I went from loving it to ignoring it rather too quick.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I don't take anything personally, and of course you can give your comments - just as I gave mine. I simply don't think the label "feminine" is a helpful description/opinion because it's vague and means different things to different people. Saying something is feminine doesn't tell us anything substantive about the fragrance. For every description of what 'feminine' may mean, I could find a masculine marketed fragrance that meets that description. Floral? Sweet? Fruity? There are masculines that fit these descriptions. My point is that ultimately what is 'feminine' and 'masculine' is subjective, thus the labels are meaningless.

What notes and accords of Dior Homme are 'feminine'? The leather? Cocoa? Iris? More importantly, what feminine fragrances smell like Dior Homme? Is the opinion that it's feminine based on actual comparison to feminine fragrances? The fact that someone along the line made the 'lipstick' criticism has become the basis for the 'smells like makeup' comments, and from what I can tell from my wife's makeup bag, it's not even the slightest bit close. I don't smell cocoa, iris, vetiver, or leather in her makeup. Just like many people think Helmut Lang has a 'butter' note, close analysis reveals that the confluence of many notes create a buttery feel - there's no 'butter' note. Similarly, the confluence of some Dior Homme topnotes may superficially create a vibe like certain lipsticks, but this is fleeting and does represent the entirety of Dior Homme as a fragrance - certainly not the drydown.

Describing what someone doesn't like about a fragrance is much more helpful than an amorphous label like 'feminine'. I also happen to think that 'feminine' is not a helpful or necessarily valid criticism because there's nothing wrong with something that smells 'feminine', and even if Dior Homme smelled feminine (it does not), that doesn't explain why it is or isn't a fragrance to recommend, sample, or own. If someone likes Dior Homme, they shouldn't be made to feel like there's something wrong with it because someone else interprets masculine smells in one particular way. It just happens to be my opinion that gender labels are essentially meaningless and if someone truly appreciates the artistry of perfumery, a fragrance's placement in the women's or men's counter shouldn't matter. It's unfortunate that people are stuck with antiquated notions that they must only wear fragrances marketed to them, and I'll do my best to articulate an alternate viewpoint.

I am not of the opinion if it is marketed to only man, men should only wear it and vice versa. That is not how I label something feminine or masculine. To me it is how it smells.

I mean lets look at majority of the niche, most are unisex but we know that many, are more geared towards masculine and some are more geared towards feminine, despite what the house wants to tell you.

It all boils down to how it smells, and the iris note in here is just way too feminine, and that is why in my original post i said to go with gucci envy plus I own gucci envy and think it is a great fragrance

the truth is i did not wear this entire day becuase i could not, the most i ever lasted was about 2-3 hours before i had to keep scrubbing it off. So maybe I never got to the leather notes, but if i have to wait that long to get to the good notes then that is way too long for me
    Last edited by denec; 19th January 2009 at 05:31 PM.

And here we go!

By the way, people can jump all over me and I know this discussion has been hatched here before but I don't mind that my opinion is that Dior Homme isn't nice and it is VERY feminine. Sorry, lipstick and purse are feminine to me and the connotations I get when I smell it are very feminine. Of course people then blame me for using terms they saw here without trying it...wrong again. When I was a newbie I said the same without ever seeing a Dior comment except that I explained it as a waxy, glue like makeup scent. Everyone has their own way to express things. Thoughts of how their Mom's or sisters perfumes or make up smelled like. Unisex doesn't come to my mind. Not trying to ruffle feathers because I respect everyone in here but perfumery/feminine would be how I'd explain it to people and this is after 4-5 full day testings. It's not a cutdown to the people who love it. It is our personal feelings on it.

So everso, I found your comment..well I'll bite my lip. But I'll put my masculinity square out there. Let people explain things how they want. It is their personal opinion and you or others degrading it makes you seem like a know it all.

I will say that I'm really surprised by the display in here and the defensiveness.

So I'll go MANLY Envy.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 19th January 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Well the OP gets banana out of Dior Homme, which is definitely a phallic, and thus VERY masculine fruit.
    Staying on topic, the question here is not lipstick or not, but banana vs. oatmeal. And, I'm sorry, oatmeal is the kind of thing that ruins even the sunniest morning, so it HAS TO BE DIOR HOMME. Period.

Then again, oatmeal with bananas... No I don't think one should layer Envy with Dior Homme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post

So everso, I found your comment..well I'll bite my lip. But I'll put my masculinity square out there. Let people explain things how they want. It is their personal opinion and you or others degrading it makes you seem like a know it all.
    exactly. you should let people state their opinions...instead of singling them out to criticize them. i didn't degrade anyone....i just said my opinion....no need to cry about it.

i 100% stand by my opinion.

exactly. you should let people state their opinions...instead of singling them out to criticize them. i didn't degrade anyone....i just said my opinion....no need to cry about it.

i 100% stand by my opinion.
    Fine by me if you like being wrong about people's personal taste but I think you were harsh in your assessment regarding someones opinion. An opinion on a scent is one thing. An opinion on a persons assessment is another ballgame. I guess degrade isn't calling a person feminine if they find it offensive I didn't single you out...I just replied to your post and made a statement. I said I was disappointed in many people I respected in the thread. I thought this type of stuff was behind people. It would be like me saying that I think guys who are as defensive about scents as you are have a small package.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 19th January 2009 at 06:52 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Fine by me but I think you were harsh in your assessment regarding someones opinion. An opinion on a scent is one thing. An opinion on a persons assessment is another ballgame. I guess degrade isn't calling a person feminine if they find it offensive I didn't single you out...I just replied to your post and made a statement. I said I was disappointed in many people I respected in the thread. I thought this type of stuff was behind people.
    that was not a "reply" to my post...that was a post telling me what to say and what not to say in my post with regards to my "opinion". There is a BIG difference. Obviously you don't see it....a continuing problem on here it seems.
    Last edited by everso; 19th January 2009 at 06:53 PM.

that was not a "reply" to my post...that was a post telling me what to say and what not to say in my post with regards to my "opinion". There is a BIG difference. Obviously you don't see it....a continuing problem on here it seems.
    Saying "it's only feminine, if you are feminine" is a definitive statement regarding someone. It has nothing to do with their opinion on a scent. It is your way of being an a-hole because people don't think like you. That is the problem many have here. People telling them what is supposed to be good and how lesser they are for having another opinion. Keep telling yourself it is ok. In my profession I ignore dozens of people like you daily. They all have their self importance just a little too high.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 19th January 2009 at 06:57 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Why do I feel like every discussion thread that Everso posts on turns into an Everso vs. "the other members" thread. Seems like someone is a little desperate for attention. Again, this is a perfect example, as usual (Toughcool, as well as other members have a right to call a fragrance "feminine," "masculaine," etc.... I am sorry you do not agree but you, once again, are turining this thread into, what I like to call, "An Everso attention getting thread.").
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 19th January 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Saying "it's only feminine, if you are feminine" is a definitive statement regarding someone. It has nothing to do with their opinion on a scent. It is your way of being an a-hole because people don't think like you. That is the problem many have here. People telling them what is supposed to be good and how lesser they are for having another opinion. Keep telling yourself it is ok. In my profession I ignore dozens of people like you daily. They all have their self importance just a little too high.
    LOL. wow...someone has some pented up anger....don't worry. everything's gonna be aaaaalright.

i think my statement was very valid actually...considering the fragrance being discussed and how it seems to teeter on the border of masculine/feminine.

it's unfortunate that you've headed down an insultive, argumentative path with your posts....but that's ok! i don't mind. keep going

LOL. wow...someone has some pented up anger....don't worry. everything's gonna be aaaaalright.

i think my statement was very valid actually...considering the fragrance being discussed and how it seems to teeter on the border of masculine/feminine.

it's unfortunate that you've headed down an insultive, argumentative path with your posts....but that's ok! i don't mind. keep going
    There is zero anger involved in my posts. I think you have some issues though when everyone who disagrees with your assessment is called a name. That is exactly what you did and your only counterpoint is that "your opinion" makes it feminine/masculine. The minute you wake up to the fact that this is a "personal" opinion message board the quicker you will get that your opinion is no better than the newbie that posts from Day 1. I'll let you try to stir the pot with someone who might find recess behavior fascinating. Stop trying to ruin the fun for the adults.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 19th January 2009 at 07:20 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

There is no feminine feelings in this one... in my nose.. That "lippstick" thing going on here is just nonsense! It`s a very elegant scent, and has already got status as a classic!

Blog Entries

Stop trying to ruin the fun for the adults.
    i'm gonna throw this statement right back at you...although i must admit your current temper tantrum is quite entertaining!
    Last edited by everso; 19th January 2009 at 07:24 PM.

I prefer Envy, it is somehow closer to my personality and taste. On me, Envy smells just flawlessly and is the ultimate thing of beauty, the very material my dreams about elegance, class and style are made of. Nothing against Dior Homme, which got me lots of compliments as well, but Envy has just grown into becoming one of my favorites.

Thumbs up Re: Dior Homme Vs Gucci Envy

actually the only reason i sold it was to make room for some other, more hardcore leather fragrances that i've been wanting. i'm not someone who wants to collect alot of bottles...i'd like to keep them in a reasonable number-----which is why i sold my bottle of Dior Homme.

the primary reason i sold it, is because it is in production, easy to find, easy to buy-----unlike some of the other fragrances i'm after these days!

i wouldn't call it super masculine or anything, but i certainly never thought of it as feminine either.....i just think it's a very nicely made, soft, and elegant fragrance for confident people.....
    I hear ya...

Basically this is a "man off the street" test.... Re whether Dior Homme is feminine or not, I simply asked another straight married guy at work whether he would wear it without telling him what it is (off a strip, not on me).

He said, "Yes - for a special night out with the wife."
    =========
    Even as a BN newbie I never felt the fem/mas distinctions are important when picking a perfume. It just has to smell good. I recently got Prada's Iris over Prada Infusion Homme because the fem version smells better. I've got Beyond Paradise (not the For Men version cause I hate it) in my BN Wardrobe and have worn it to work before. Even on Basenotes I bet there will be very few guys (of whatever sexual orientation) who would be secure or daring enough to wear that (a symphonic super-floral-scent) to work!

I don't worry about being labeled anything - I know who I am. Underneath the thoughtful metrosexual exterior is a straight, boorish male who likes discussing perfumes as much as he likes telling dirty jokes which will get him instantly banned from Basenotes if he tells it here.

As a longtime lurker, even I felt there's an undercurrent of having to defend one's masculinity amongst some male perfumistas here. No naming names.

Thing is, guys - liking feminine scent is not a sign that you're gay or effeminate. Watching lots of gay porn would be a sign that you're gay. Being scared of spiders and rats that you have to get a friend to kill them for you - that's what makes you effeminate. :P
    Last edited by GourmandHomme; 19th January 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    I don't smell cocoa or banana bread! Dang... I wish I could find a banana bread scent, I'd be in heaven..
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I swear I'm reminded of bannana-nut bread when I smell it. Kinda off topic, but don't you think A*men smells a lot like those fig Newton cookies???

I think your post makes a whole heluva lot of sense. I think because Dior is a lighter, non intrusive/offensive/heavy/loud fragrance, it is percieved as a feminine scent. The whole lipstick/purse thing though, I too don't get. That one still leaves be scratching my head, cuz I don't think it smells anything like those two.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    Well the OP gets banana out of Dior Homme, which is definitely a phallic, and thus VERY masculine fruit.
    Staying on topic, the question here is not lipstick or not, but banana vs. oatmeal. And, I'm sorry, oatmeal is the kind of thing that ruins even the sunniest morning, so it HAS TO BE DIOR HOMME. Period.

Then again, oatmeal with bananas... No I don't think one should layer Envy with Dior Homme.
    lol! Funny post!

to OP: Dior Homme. it's a darn good scent. a kind which will keep you interested till finishes. Envy on the other hand is plain boring.

off topic:

What notes and accords of Dior Homme are 'feminine'? The leather? Cocoa? Iris? More importantly, what feminine fragrances smell like Dior Homme? Is the opinion that it's feminine based on actual comparison to feminine fragrances?
    why this on slaught to anyone who uses the "feminine" word? why does it shake some peoples manliness here? the classic eg. is, you yourself by quoting the above believe certain scents are feminine. so, somehow, you have the liberty to decide what is feminine?

My point is that ultimately what is 'feminine' and 'masculine' is subjective, thus the labels are meaningless.
    yes! it is subjective! just like you pointed out above! meaningless or not, let the user decide. it's still a free community, isnt it?
    Last edited by jenson; 20th January 2009 at 05:39 AM.