Code of Conduct

Default Unisex Potential

Hi. I'd like to find a fragrance that both me and my new girlfriend could ware. So that it could become "ours". I thought this would be a good place to ask such a question. If possible I'd like it to be something not TOO common, so as to make it that much more special for us. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lander
    Last edited by Frip; 18th January 2009 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Unisex Potential

Try Gaultier2 by Jean Paul Gaultier. Its even marketed for that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frip View Post
    Hi. I'd like to find a fragrance that both me and my new girlfriend could ware. So that it could become "ours". I thought this would be a good place to ask such a question. If possible I'd like it to be something not TOO common, so as to make it that much more special for us. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lander
    What kind of fragrances do you two like? That will help us know what to choose - there are thousands of unisex fragrances nowadays, including most of my favorites.

I'd like to suggest Tom Ford's Black Orchid or Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb

CK one?
    Penhaligon's English Fern?
    Mugler Cologne?
    JPG's Le Male?
    Prada Infusion d'Iris?
    Mugler's Angel. . .?
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box)?
    Caron's Third Man?
    Creed's Acier Aluminium?

If I could get my husband to wear Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box) instead of Old Spice, the whole house would smell quite nice. Oh well!

I've seen some other women remark that they like Chanel Egoiste.

I think it'd be interesting to smell a guy in Mugler's Alien.
    Last edited by Aiona; 19th January 2009 at 02:54 AM.

CK One
    Dior Homme
    Bulgari Black (or any of the Bulgari Tea fragrances)

--or--

How about His'n'Hers Diesel?
    Last edited by Asha; 19th January 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Hillaire

Diorella.
    Eaux Caron Fraiche.
    Bandit.

Thanks everyone

I'll take a print-out of this thread to the mall today and try them out.

I like the Diore Homme idea, especially as I already own it and like it. But I'm afraid this girl...who likes to remain young, will think it is too old for her.
    Last edited by Frip; 19th January 2009 at 05:01 PM.

- Egoiste
    -Czech and Speake # 88
    -Bulgari Black
    - Bois d'iris
    -Dior Homme
    - Lolita Lempicka au masculine
    -Gaultier 2
    - SL Chergui
    -SL Chene
    -Musc Ravageur
    Last edited by ineespenes; 19th January 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Le Basier du Dragon by Cartier is really nice oriental that totally works on a guy or a girl.

Eau d'Hadrian

I like the Egoiste idea, but no store around here sells it. (Or they're out of stock) But I'm looking forward to trying it.

Someone (Hilaire) mentioned Diorella above, and I've since read great things about it. But I haven't read anything that mentioned that a guy could wear it too.

So, could a guy get away with Diorella? I don't mind wearing feminine fragrances, as long as it's not TOO obviously feminine.
    Last edited by Frip; 19th January 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Even ultra-masculine, highly persistent and non-androgynous male scents like Knize Ten, Esencia Loewe, Antaeus, Gucci Envy, Armani Eau pour Homme or somewhat more discreet and a bit sweeter male scents like Dior Homme or Versace Blue Jeans, all have truly great potential to be wearable by both genders. Also, most scents by Serge Lutens, Etro and Acqua di Parma are either unisex or may be used by the gender opposite than the one it is actually, officially been crafted for. So, have fun while experimenting.

True Ken, but she, as a girl, can get away with smelling masculine, much more than I can smelling feminine. I mean, you don't want me getting beaten up by my own friends do you?

By the way, I just thought of a great name for a new cologne, "True Ken"...
    Last edited by Frip; 19th January 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Me and my GF both wear:

Bulgari Black
    Tea For Two
    Terre d'Hermes
    L'Air du Desert Marocain

all quite unisex.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Frip View Post
    I like the Egoiste idea, but no store around here sells it. (Or they're out of stock) But I'm looking forward to trying it.

Someone (Hilaire) mentioned Diorella above, and I've since read great things about it. But I haven't read anything that mentioned that a guy could wear it too.

So, could a guy get away with Diorella? I don't mind wearing feminine fragrances, as long as it's not TOO obviously feminine.
    Don't let the name fool you - Diorella is very wearable for men. You won't get any funny looks.

I second Dior Homme and Prada Infusion d'Iris (own both, am wearing the Prada IdI as my SotD as I type this)

Blog Entries

I think your first challenge should be to figure out which notes and families you both like wearing, then look within that category. Terre d'Hermès, Black Orchid, and Eau d'Hadrien are all great suggestions, representing some of the best gender benders of the woods, the orientals, and the citrus categories. But maybe you don't want to smelly lemony fresh in the middle of January, or your gf doesn't want to smell like a coniferous forest (though I can't imagine why not ). So that's my suggestion-- see where your tastes overlap and that will help narrow things down.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

A*Men?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Annick Goutal Mandragore

Guerlain Jicky edt

The Different Company Sel de Vetiver

L'Artisan Dzing!

Hillaire

I make my husband... I mean my husband LIKES to wear Diorella, and he agrees on it being totally man- able...
    I cannot imagine anyone being sure that it was a feminine, in a hypothetical blind smell test.
    And its truly great.

Ok, but she can wear masculine scents, without you having to wear any feminine. I know, it sounds rather discriminating and derogatory that both genders should wear masculine scents at a time (since I NEVER mentioned a guy wearing a feminine frag nor could I EVER consider this an option), but the fact is, some of the male scents have the power to smell just great on both males and females, even the ultra- masculine creations. And then again, are the almost unisex male scents, where I can only confirm that both Amen (ok, might be a bit common or at least over applied and overused nowadays) and Dior Homme (also, as I understood, not much of an option either) fall in this cathegory. Finally, the unisex scents by Lutens, Etro and Creed are, inspite of the target- public, by no means feminine, just either as fresh or as spicy and sophisticated to smell pleasantly on both genders, without affecting a certain gender-based specificness. However, I also know that my favorites previously mentioned, should you BOTH wear something masculine, might be a bit difficult to use for someone who wants to stay young- since, while these scents are not dated or excessively formal, most of them are conservative and timeless and they might be perceived as a bit, well, old...
    So, I came up with two scents who were specifically designed for being unisex and have enough force and energy for a man yet (without affecting) a gentle feminine note (not too feminine to take away the masculinity, though) equally and democratically distributed in these two classy, yet still fresh and easygoing, youthful creations:

Mugler Cologne and
    Eau d' Orange Verte by Hermes

Aside from that, I must thank you for the "True Ken"-idea, I'm honored by that and, as quite a few Basenotes members do, I often think about a scent created just in order to suit me, to be almost entirely personalized (including the name).

Regards and keeping my fingers crossed that your friends will act not only harmlessly, but also with genuine admiration for both your and your gf' s fragrance wardrobe!
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 24th January 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale
    Bois 1920 Sutra Ylang
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire
    Commes de Garcons Kyoto
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood

Crayfish

Why not become the Carnal Flower twins?