Code of Conduct

Default Your favorite "joss stick" oriental is... ?

Luca Turin has used this phrase more than once in his reviews. I remember it being used to describe Moschino (the first one, for women). I'd say it describes Jacomo Rouge well (which also has a gourmand quality). I'd be curious to know which other frags can be classified this way.

Default Re: Your favorite "joss stick" oriental is... ?

Profumum Ambra Aura smells like amber incense to me. I am not sure others would get the connection, but it does have that sweet "health food store" amber quality and a bit of smoky incense in the blend. I love it, but it is really intense and can be too much sometimes.

Tonight I am sampling Profumi di Firenze Ambra Nepal, and it smells quite similar, but a bit less overpowering (perhaps due to a lower concentration).

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Profumum Ambra Aura smells like amber incense to me. I am not sure others would get the connection, but it does have that sweet "health food store" amber quality and a bit of smoky incense in the blend. I love it, but it is really intense and can be too much sometimes.
    This one evades me still. Perhaps it's because i'm still not over my Fiori d'Ambra (another Profumum) obsession

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I would add Iceberg Twice for men and Joop! Homme

Basenotes Institution

What is a joss stick?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What is a joss stick?
    I had no idea either. I had to look it up.

From wikipedia:

Joss sticks are a type of incense used in many East Asian countries, traditionally burned before a Chinese religious image, idol or shrine. They can also be burned in front of a door, or open window as an offering to heaven, or devas. In modern days, joss sticks can be used for any purpose, such as to enhance the smell of a room, or to light fire crackers.

Joss sticks are religious materials in China, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, Myanmar, Cambodia, Philippines, Korea,and Japan. The word "joss" is derived from the Latin deus (god) via Portuguese.

I am still not sure what would fall under this classification, but I would say Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche - a wonderful blend of amber and incense.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd January 2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

So has anyone out there smelled a burning joss stick?

Around here (northeast USA), most people think of joss sticks as those 10 cent sticks sold in novelty stores. They can be scented differently, but many have the same underlying smell to them. I don't know how they compare to Asian joss sticks, but if you search for joss stick with google images, you can see what they look like. Jacomo Rouge smells a lot like many joss sticks I've smelled, with the addition of a gourmand element.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd January 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Joss sticks are just a traditional style of incense stick that I associate with the Buddhist altars that are in many of the Vietnamese businesses found in my hometown back in Australia (Wollongong). Joss is a slang term for idol. As such there isn't any one smell, there are literally thousands of different styles of joss stick each with its own fragrance.

The things found in headshops over here are just crappy air "freshners", that if I were a Buddhist, Daoist or Confucianist I'd be mortified if someone tried to burn at an altar.

So has anyone out there smelled a burning joss stick?
    If you want to smell a joss stick just head to the local Chinatown and find a shrine, temple or altar.
    Last edited by surreality; 22nd January 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

joss stick = incense if any1 asks
    its just stupid translation where joss stick is more common word than incense as in polish my dictionary says joss stick but for google translate incense is more common

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...?notes=incense
    Last edited by yrk; 22nd January 2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

tried goutal's encens flamboyant yesterday, it has a definite joss stick quality - a real headshop/hippy vibe, oddly combined with a stuffy floral-piney-soapy character.

Interesting thread! I've never heard that term before and when first saw it in the Guide, it sounded like something gross or dirty (maybe it reminded me of "jock strap," ha ha). Then I realized it was referring to incense.

I was surprised they actually used that phrase as the tagline for Miller Harris Fleur Oriental, which is a powdery-ambery scent and doesn't make me think of incense at all. Also, from the responses here it seems like there could be a confusion between a traditional joss stick at a temple and the cheaper head-shop kind.
    Currently wearing: L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

these are what joss sticks look like for those who have not seen them before:

Just like what jrk has said, they smell like incense when burnt