Code of Conduct

Default Really classy fragrance for a 40 something conservative woman?

My mom. She never buys anything for herself and I want to maybe buy her something.

Default Re: Really classy fragrance for a 40 something conservative woman?

Wow, Every thread today I keep posting about the same frag. I'm a 40 something mom, I'm going with Chanel No.5! Hands down. And may I say, what a nice and thoughtful son you are!

Very nice thought. I suggest the Hermes Jardin series, I particularly like Un Jardin sur le Nil. Great scent for men or women, very classy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Lancome's Poeme EDP

You are SO precious! Please, talk to my son.

Do you have any idea what your mother likes with regard to notes in perfume? Not all classics are every woman's ideal fragrance.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

It's cold in Tennessee this time of year. How about Guerlain's Shalimar?

She usually goes sans perfume. Like I said, she never buys stuff for herself. When she does use something, its usually the little cheap things she gets for Christmas.

What kinds of flowers does she like? You said she's conservative - does she dress up a lot, with every hair in place, or is she the casual/natural type? Does she like the outdoors? Is she "into" food/cooking?

If she hasn't tried a lot of good fragrances, a very nice starter one might be Stella. It's a rose & amber combo that I think would appeal to almost anyone.

My suggestions for classy frags that I think anyone can appreciate/find easy to wear (because I don't know your mum or which notes she likes) are:

Hermes: 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate
    Dior: Diorissimo (but good luck trying to find it)
    Chanel: Bois des Iles, No 5 Eau Fraiche

You can't go wrong with a Chanel or a Guerlain ~ any of them!

And add this please, Notorious by Ralph Lauren. The bottle is classy, the scent is fabulous, and it's a 'new' fragrance - def. try this one!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 19th January 2009 at 01:23 AM.

Hillaire

Chanel 19
    Caleche
    Dioressence

Those are great, timeless, Conservative ones you almost couldn't miss with....

My son bought me L'air du Temps! It was the thought that counted, though.. Really.

I second the "Notorious" suggestion. Very easy to wear.

We often advise against getting a single bottle of perfume, but rather suggest collecting a stack of thoughtfully-chosen samples so the recipient can choose the perfume they like. It's such a subjective thing.
    I would suggest something with iris in it. Mainly because to me that's very ladylike and because it's often not mixed with 'controversial' notes like oakmoss. (I speak as a 43 year old Mum.) Or an even safer bet in terms of making the receiver happy is Amber.

Yves Rocher do a lovely Amber in their Secret Essences range. It has got a lot of love here on the boards and is both easy to wear and very ladylike but warm and modern. The bottle looks classy too.
    For Iris, what about Prada Infusion d'Iris? Great brand, lovely bottle, perfume will not offend.

And I'll second Analavande in saying YOU are a star, iBarney

Oooh, ooh - I just remembered: recently there was something on a blog about this very subject:
    http://perfumeposse.com/2009/01/11/a...ragrance-gift/
    Last edited by Wordbird; 19th January 2009 at 08:47 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I second both Wordbird's suggestions of the Voile D'Ambre by Yves Rocher and the Prada Infusion d'Iris, also Notorious from higher up the thread.

The new Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere is classy to my nose, and DKNY Cashmere Mist would be another suggestion, also Jasper Conran Woman if she likes fresh, citrus scents.

It would be helpful to know a little more about your mother's tastes if possible - then I am sure we could come up with a lot more ideas!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Vol de Nuit (Guerlain)
    Chanel N° 19
    Calèche (Hermès)
    1000 (Patou)
    Dioressence (Dior)
    Paloma Picasso
    First (Van Cleef & Arpels)
    Chanel N° 5
    24 Faubourg, EDP (Hermès)
    Shalimar (Guerlain)
    Jicky (Guerlain)
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I disagree with Paloma Picasso, it is a complicated scent that requires courage.

Hard to make recommendations without knowing what your mom likes to smell. Wordbird's suggestion of amassing an assortment of samples for her to sniff is a good one. But if you're planning a surprise, that would spoil it. I would check out the Hermes and Bulgari lines of fragrances. I agree with the Eau Premiere and Notorious suggestions. I fell in love with Dolce & Gabbana's The One last year. My little decant is almost empty, and I like it enough to go for a full bottle. It's sweet, yet refined, can go dressy or casual.

You know, I'm totally rediscovering the
    beauty and pure joy that Samsara is for me.
    Give it a sniff and see what you think
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Dept store or Sephora or otherwise? Try to get some samples of these:

Bond's Chinatown, Prada Iris (not the original Prada), Angel, the NEW Chanel no. 5 eau premier (not the original), Hermes Caleche eau Delicate (not the original Caleche), L' Instant by Guerlain, Insolence by Guerlain, Caron's Parfum Sacre, Hana Mori Butterfly and Magical Moon, Kenzo Amour, Kenzo Flower. There are tons more, but maybe there is something in there that is her. If you're close to a Nordstrom or Saks or Neiman's, they may take pity on you and get you the samples you need for your mom. You sound like a really sweet son!

PS. The really classic stuff is probably what her mother wore, so I'd go for something newer. Have fun!

I think is it much too risky to buy a full bottle of perfume for someone else if you are not sure they will like it. I would go with the 'lots of samples' idea and let her choose one.
    Jan Pieter

If she usually goes without, I'd go for something light. Maybe something from L'Artisan. I recently tried Perles de Lalique. That might work. Something by Kenzo might be a good choice.

But I agree that the sample idea from Sephora would be ideal. She could choose.
    Last edited by debbborra; 19th January 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Perles de Lalique is great, a really snuggly white angora sweater scent! Very classy indeed and undemanding.

The mention of The One by D & G made me remember D & G L'Eau The One, which is a very pleasant day time scent that I doubt very much would offend. A colleague of mine got her husband to buy Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline for her for Xmas UNSNIFFED on my say so - a terrifying responsiblity in retrospect that I was unaware of - but luckily she liked that very much.

I am at the tail end of my 40's for what it is worth...

But of course, samples are best.

I agree that Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline and Prada Infusion d'Iris could be good choices. I DON'T agree with Chinatown - that one is trickier, IMO.

P.S. I've gotta try that Perles de Lalique!
    Last edited by Haunani; 19th January 2009 at 06:43 PM.

ibarney5, is your mama from the South, also? I think she'd enjoy Rose Essentielle by Bvlgari.....I find it wears well all the year 'round, and doesn't become opressive in the summer time. It's tinted pale pink, and the bottle will be lovely on her dressing table!

Basenotes Institution

After trying EL PC Tuberose Gardenia - I can say this is a lovely classy elegant scent. I highly recommend it .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I agree with many that you're going for something light. Like O de Lancome, Bvlgari Pour Femme, Bvlgari Voile du Jasmin, etc.

I really think you should check out the Bvlgaris. Modern classics, I think. And if your mom likes to smell light and natural, maybe check out the White Tea (Eau Parfumee Au The Blanc). Very soft, alittle musky.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I think you should post what you decide on. And then the reaction that it gets

I can't believe I didn't second the recommendation for Chanel No. 19 yet. My bad. Women stop me in the grocery store to tell me I smell nice when I wear it.

Yes, Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere, it's perfect.

I agree with Debbborra. Pick a scent and get a reaction from Basenote people. If your Mom normally doesn't wear perfume, then maybe Sensi by Giorgio is a nice, safe fragrance. Please let us know what you choose. I am certain that your Mom will be pleased with ANY gift that you give her.

New to fragrance, your mother may find some of the Guerlain heavy hitters a bit too much.
    I would suggest Chanel No. 19 or Ivoire, Balmain. Both very pretty, very "ladylike."

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    New to fragrance, your mother may find some of the Guerlain heavy hitters a bit too much.
    I would suggest Chanel No. 19 or Ivoire, Balmain. Both very pretty, very "ladylike."
    Interested in your comment on Ivoire - on me it is quite leathery and manly, and I wouldn't call it "pretty" as such, in the way Tuberose Gardenia mentioned above might be considered "pretty". But I am an odd one...
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 25th January 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Oooh, ooh! No-one has mentioned the OTHER Estee Lauder Private Collection, Amber Ylang Ylang, and I think that's actually way easier to wear than Tuberose Gardenia. It's very luxe, very cashmere and the bottle is beautiful.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Oooh, ooh! No-one has mentioned the OTHER Estee Lauder Private Collection, Amber Ylang Ylang, and I think that's actually way easier to wear than Tuberose Gardenia. It's very luxe, very cashmere and the bottle is beautiful.
    I agree. I purchased this back in early December and I get tons of compliments when I wear it. It's not quite as sophisticated as a Chanel or Guerlain but very easy to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Despite Turin's slam, I have to agree the amber and ylang ylang combo is quite lovely and easy to wear.

Private Collection (the original)
    Victorian Posy
    Ysatis
    Ivoire de Balmain
    Ô de Lancôme (Crisp yet formal; casual yet professional.)
    J'ai Osé
    Sung pour Femme
    Magie Noire (For those patchouli-laden, naughty seductress moments that even conservative types have from time to time.)
    Métal
    Azurée
    Shalimar (Any form is good, but the edc lacks "punch" and longevity alike, IMHO, and may even be a tad too masculine.)
    Bill Blass for Women
    L'Instant
    Bal à Versailles
    Cinnabar (Careful -- too much may come off as anything but "youthful.")
    Spellbound
    Paris
    Je Reviens (In the edt form, anyway. The edp and perfume formulations can be a tad matronly if worn with a heavy hand.)
    Aliage
    Wing Song (Go ahead -- laugh all you want.)
    Lauren
    Fidgi (For evening outings, not daytime.)
    Elisabethan Rose
    Diva (Better for power meetings and evening events than casual lunches, granted.)
    Fleurissimo
    White Linen (Light and airy -- perfect for summertime.)
    Arpège
    Tuxedo (IF you can find it!)
    Samsara (A personal favorite for this very "type" of gal.)
    Chanel No. 5
    Halston for Women (the original)
    Chanel No. 19
    Aromatics Elixir (Spritzed in moderation, of course.)
    Cristalle
    My Sin
    Ô de Lancôme
    Miss Dior
    Metal
    Tea Rose
    Diamonds & Rubies (No, cheap does NOT have to equal vile.)
    L'Air du Temps
    Touch for Women by Fred Hayman (A very pretty, conservative cheapie.)
    Organza
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th January 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I do agree about (and own) Amber Ylang Ylang! It is an easy-to-love scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Despite Turin's slam, I have to agree the amber and ylang ylang combo is quite lovely and easy to wear.
    And me! Tuberose Gardenia is one that I find pretty but which divides the friends I have tried it on, depending on how the tuberose behaves. I mentioned it more to distinguish it from Ivoire.

Yes, Amber Ylang Ylang is a very good bet, I would have thought - I love it and find it most comforting.

Red face Re: Really classy fragrance for a 40 something conservative woman?

Aren't you a nice son. I agree with the Estee Lauder PC Amber YlangYlang, wearing it today and I adore it. Also Chanel Gardenia and the new David Yurman is amazing, one of the best fragrances ever. I also adore Hermes Ambre Narguile, If possible I would buy something that could be returned if possible, like Saks you can return things. Good luck there are so many great fragrances. The new Chanel 5 Eau Premier is wonderful and very easy to wear. And I must add the Black bottle of Narciso Rodruguez, WOnder what you will choose>>

I'm way over 40 and see a lot of recommendations for fragrances that I have and wear:

O de Lancome
    Shalimar
    Samsara
    White Linen
    L'Instant
    Obsession (did not see this one recommended but I do love it)

Some that I don't currently own but love include:

Kenzo Flower
    Paris
    Paloma Picasso

just to name a few.

Sur la Plage

Another vote for Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Listen to the ones who state the classics, widely popular, easily available, and instantly recongnizable-they just never go out of style. Many of the Chanels, a few of the estee lauders (inexpensive), Shalimar, Hermes, etc. And older more polished women tend to sport these fragrances. You can't go wrong. And I'd light rather than strong if she's not used to wearing perfumes so smell before you buy. This is the play-it-safe method for buying a mother perfume.
    ~~~~~~~~Pulsing veins of green rushing nutrients through unfurling leaflets , dirty-faced little blooms poking their sleepy heads up through cold March dirt...the promising scent of unfallen rain hanging heavy in the dark cloud-ladden air...Oh the beauty of Spring here in the country!

Oops -- I almost forgot one: Anaïs Anaïs.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]