Code of Conduct

Default To blind buy Shalimar? (and blind-buying in general)

This is my first post and my dilemma: (I'm posting here because I'm just starting out)

I have a perfumed talc bottle of shalimar from about the early nineties. I just love the fragrance and although I expect the normal perfume to be less powdery, I'm 90% sure I want the perfume as well. But fears of reformulations and such are a little scary and I would be very depressed if the scent smelled bad on me.

Is there anyone out there who can offer a comparison of the talc scent to the perfume scent? And to make it more complicated, Guerlain has gone ahead and made several new versions of the of the scent. I'm sure I'd get more "daytime" mileage out of the lighter citrusy versions - but I'm pretty sure I want the original - but I'm not 100% sure if the "original" is what I have in powder form or is something ancient and only found on ebay.

If I can find the right one, I can test the Shalimar at my local macys but they don't have any other Guerlain perfumes besides the insolence line - I'm interested in Jicky, Misuoko, and L'Heure Bleu - but I've never had the opportunity to smell them.

So, when I can, go for broke on the Guerlains or wait for a trip to Boston to test?

Thanks.

Default Re: To blind buy Shalimar? (and blind-buying in general)

With Shalimar EdC, I find a synthetic rubbery note at first that is really unpleasant,but when it dries down that fades away. However, from what I've read the other formulations (which I haven't tried) are quite different, so you should probably sample first.

Test first. No regrets later.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been sure if it's just my nose, but I have sampled Shalimar on a number of occasions and to me it is the most intensely powdery frag I have experienced. Unfortunately on me I get a well known brand baby powder (or should I say that the baby powder smells like Shalimar) and Russian Caravan/Lapsang Souchong smoked tea which also smells like burnt pine. This dries off to a very light floral.

I should note that all the Guerlains I have tried have been powdery on me.

In short I would sample first.

Post Thanks / Like

The parfum and EDP are really animalic with leather and civet being very prominent. The EDT is more sweet and powdery, but can be alot like baby products. I agree with the others that you need to try them to find out which one is closest to what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    With Shalimar EdC, I find a synthetic rubbery note at first that is really unpleasant,but when it dries down that fades away. However, from what I've read the other formulations (which I haven't tried) are quite different, so you should probably sample first.
    I experience the same unpleasant synthetic note as Bigsly with the EdC. If I were you, I would order the Guerlain 4 sampler pack from 'The Perfumed Court'. You can have four 1ml samples of EdP of your choosing for 14.99 plus shipping. Here is the link as well as the list of choices:
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...in4packpg.aspx
    * Apres L'Ondee EDT
    * Acqua Allegoria Winter Delice
    * Attrape-Coeur
    * Chamade edt
    * Champes Elysees edt
    * Chant D'Aromes edt
    * Insolence edt
    * Jicky EDT
    * Jicky EDP
    * L'Instant edt
    * Mahora
    * Metalys
    * Mitsouko EDP
    * L'Heure Bleue EDP

* Plus Que Jamais
    * Samsara EDP
    * Shalimar EDP
    * Sous le Vent
    Happy Hunting!
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    I experience the same unpleasant synthetic note as Bigsly with the EdC. If I were you, I would order the Guerlain 4 sampler pack from 'The Perfumed Court'. You can have four 1ml samples of EdP of your choosing for 14.99 plus shipping. Here is the link as well as the list of choices:
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...in4packpg.aspx
    * Apres L'Ondee EDT
    * Acqua Allegoria Winter Delice
    * Attrape-Coeur
    * Chamade edt
    * Champes Elysees edt
    * Chant D'Aromes edt
    * Insolence edt
    * Jicky EDT
    * Jicky EDP
    * L'Instant edt
    * Mahora
    * Metalys
    * Mitsouko EDP
    * L'Heure Bleue EDP

* Plus Que Jamais
    * Samsara EDP
    * Shalimar EDP
    * Sous le Vent
    Happy Hunting!
    That's amazing!!! I didn't know they did that! I'm definitely doing this.

Thank you.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I indulge in blind buying and end up regretting it about half the time. BUying samples first is definitely a smart move.

I have Shalimar talc but don't know if it's the same as yours. Mine is in a tourquoise 30g plastic shaker. I swapped for it so I don't know how old it is. I think it smells more like the pure parfum than the EDT or the EDP but I never tested the cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I indulge in blind buying and end up regretting it about half the time. BUying samples first is definitely a smart move.

I have Shalimar talc but don't know if it's the same as yours. Mine is in a tourquoise 30g plastic shaker. I swapped for it so I don't know how old it is. I think it smells more like the pure parfum than the EDT or the EDP but I never tested the cologne.
    That is definitely the one I have. It's really wonderful.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

An active interest in fragrance and finding your favourite scents based upon sampling first will hemorrhage enough money, believe me!. So my advice is not to blind buy!. I would pay a little more to obtain samples first and only buy if you really REALLY love it. Otherwise you will end up with more fragrance than you can possibly wear in a lifetime and many 'mehh's' in your collection