Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Totally fell in love with Straight to Heaven. Now what?

Well, I came to a startling conclusion today: I have fallen in love with By Kilian's Straight to Heaven. Best men's fragrance. Ever. (And it also happens to be the only fragrance I've gotten two unsolicited compliments on.)

I think I need to update my collection as a result... my sale board list will be updated shortly, and I also need some advice on where to go next. Some other fragrances will stay... for example, John Varvatos Vintage, M7, Bvlgari Black, Narciso Rodriguez, and of course Angel Men and most of the niche frags are staying put.

But I could use some advice on where to go next... I'm going in a niche direction for my next set of stink water. Given my loves (woods, leather, vanilla, citrus), what fragrances should I try next (in sample form, of course)? Feel free to take a peek in my updated wardrobe and provide advice.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Totally fell in love with Straight to Heaven. Now what?

I also love Straight to Heaven - here are some others I think you'd enjoy if StH is your cup of tea:
    Idole de Lubin and Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.
    There are plenty more I'd recommend if you enjoy those, but that's a good place to start.

Basenotes Institution

Isn't STH magical stuff? I found it a little too boozy for my tastes, but it's pretty sublime stuff. It smells 'plush', if that makes sense.

Try some Tom Ford Private Blends: Tobacco Vanille, Moss Breches, Tuscan Leather and Amber Absolute are four good ones to start with.

Given the loves of woods, leather, vanilla, citrus and having taken a quick look at your wardrobe, you may want to sample some Guerlains (Habit Rouge, the Eaux, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Shalimar, L'Instant), some Hermes (Bel Ami, Equipage), and Dior (Dior Homme, Eau Sauvage).

For niche recommendations, try sampling more Parfumerie Generales (you have Cuir Venenum, try Cuir d'Iris (leather), Cadjmere, Coze, Cedre Sandaraque, or Aomassai (woods, vanilla). Plus, it never hurts to check out Serge Lutens to see what the chatter is about (Vetiver Oriental, Borneo 1834, Gris Clair, Un Bois Vanille). For some niche house recommendations that are slightly off the beaten path, look for fragrances from Etat Libre d'Orange, Ava Luxe, Profumum, and Farmacia SS Anunziata.

If you are set to explore the limits of your leathery tastes, try Montale Aoud Cuir d' Arabie. This is leather in a raw way. Not the leather handbag or coat. But leather as a raw material, a piece of hide. If you don't get scared by the opening you will have an amazing experience.

Nutmeg hell!

Other circles of Nutmeg "kindom" are
    Nemo Carachel
    Visit,
    Rush Gucci,
    Last edited by irish; 19th January 2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

While I found STH good and the boozy feel of it different in a good way, it was just too much for me. I wore it home and 2 females..wife and her sister..told me never to wear it again. I got where they were coming from...almost too intoxicating on me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Woods, citrus,vanilla, a beautiful rose note, and civet.. you NEED to check out Ungaro II.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I also love Straight to Heaven - here are some others I think you'd enjoy if StH is your cup of tea:
    Idole de Lubin and Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.
    There are plenty more I'd recommend if you enjoy those, but that's a good place to start.
    how is the sillage/longevity on Idole de Lubin?

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    While I found STH good and the boozy feel of it different in a good way, it was just too much for me. I wore it home and 2 females..wife and her sister..told me never to wear it again. I got where they were coming from...almost too intoxicating on me.
    That's funny. I ambush my mother all the time, spraying stuff on her without warning. I sprayed it on my mother as she was doing my younger sister's hair, who I also torment about fragrances. My sister has consistently said it smells like "bush". My mother didn't care for it, and said it wasn't too hot.
    I wore it to work once, and may have overapplied. A co-worker made some reference to me smellin like somethin, but when I asked him to repeat himself, he said never mind, and never told me what he said. Hmm...
    I like it though. At first, I thought it was kinda subtle, and not worthy of the hype. Thing is though-I kept sniffing and resniffing the spot I applied it. It's not very loud...doesn't seem very complex, and sometimes smells like it's just wood and nutmeg. But sometimes, it's subtle, smooth, mild, and nice.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Straight to Heaven...I would have to second Cuir Venenum...I know it does not get much love, but I also love Back to Black...an almost hallucinogenic take on tobacco.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    how is the sillage/longevity on Idole de Lubin?
    All day on me (12 hours) with great sillage for the first half, but I've heard some say it doesn't last on them. I spray almost all under shirt on my chest and liberally, so that may be part of it. It's never overbearing, but always there.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!