Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Bandit (Vintage Parfum)

I got it for almost free in a local antique shop. Blind buy, of course.

My very first impression was like I opened my grandmother's wardrobe, full of old clothes and makeup. So it scared me a lot.

Probably she didn't had Bandit, but something reminiscent of it (like Cabochard).

Many hours later, I decided to give it a try on my skin.

It's really a humid scent on me, that's how I can describe its greeness (galbanum plus bergamot, they say), which reminds me a lot of Jules (green and leathery as well, and disturbingly fecal), but with a strange flowery element in the middle of this crazy music. Also makes me think of Cabochard and Aramis, certainly.

Very smooth, and powdery. The EDT is supposed to be much more aggressive, based on the reviews. Well, I couldn't consider this as really aggressive, except for the fecal thing, which, as I said, disturbs me.

The leather in itself is not dominant here, but plays relevant notes in this sometimes dissonant ensemble. Makes me thing on Jules again, in which the leather also seems to use the green moist to hide itself.

The animalic aspect I could describe as sweaty, but not as pleasant as I expected to be. I suppose that's the intentional message.

I can't say it isn't a pleasant and enlightining experience, but unfortunately it still smells like my grandmother's wardrobe a bit too much to my tumbler nose.

Default Re: Bandit (Vintage Parfum)

Well, that's disappointing. Do you tend to like leather frags?

smeller

Yes, I like leathers, like Knize Ten, Van Cleef & Arpels and so on.

But I don't see it as so disappointing, I only bought it because I always wanted to try it, and was dirt cheap.

Also, I'm not hating it...
    Last edited by smeller; 20th January 2009 at 12:11 AM.

The heart notes are are quite interesting, when I wore this fragrance out one day several people asked me if I had stepped in "something"
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

well if you want to get rid of it send it's my way!

gee sounds like a scent I wouldnt want to try.

My appreciation of Bandit was quite peculiar: I found a vintage box of talcum powder belonging to my mother. Of course I smelt it, some notes strongly reminded me of Cabochard and Aramis, thus I understood references to both as per reviews and posts publiushed here in BN.

Hope I can, someday, get hold of a bottle, be it EdT or EdP just to have a god idea of what it is about.

Bandit Piguet is one of my favourites - but I have only modern EDP, and sample of old parfum.

As for strong fecal note - I suppose, they stored it badly in that shop... It`s a pity...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I got it for almost free in a local antique shop. Blind buy, of course.
    My very first impression was like I opened my grandmother's wardrobe, full of old clothes and makeup. So it scared me a lot.
    Quite exciting ! Did it come in a box, and could yo describe that box? If it was just the bottle, it may have been exposed to sunlight for too long. I kind of know that smell from miniature bottles of whatever. More than 50% of those bought on auctions are 'gone'. Please trust me, the old (ca 1955-70) EDP or perfume was much smoother than the re-editions are, sombre and floral, waxy and incensy at the same time. I was very young when I had a chance to smell original French Bandit. Kids are particularly sensitive to 'strange' smells, like 'fecal'.That just wasn't there.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Nice description, Narcus. I'd love to smell the version that you remember from your childhood. In terms of my smelling wishlist, Bandit is up there with Coty's Chypre and the original Tabac Blonde.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Quite exciting ! Did it come in a box, and could yo describe that box? If it was just the bottle, it may have been exposed to sunlight for too long. I kind of know that smell from miniature bottles of whatever. More than 50% of those bought on auctions are 'gone'. Please trust me, the old (ca 1955-70) EDP or perfume was much smoother than the re-editions are, sombre and floral, waxy and incensy at the same time. I was very young when I had a chance to smell original French Bandit. Kids are particularly sensitive to 'strange' smells, like 'fecal'.That just wasn't there.
    The bottle is yellow. Says "bandit" on the top, and "parfum on the bottom, with a diagonal black strip crossing it, which says "Robert Piguet paris". It's a 30 ml parfum bottle, almost full (seems like it leaked a bit).

Narcus, based solely on your description and in my "grandma's wardrobe" childhood memories, I don't think it's so 'gone'. The fecal note I mentioned is barely detectable, and overall it's really smooth, floral and dark as you described, although with a strong decadent 'vintage' aura. However, it's not a "sillage bomb" and lasts as much as a regular EDT. The juice is dark brown.