Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question ? Best strongest Vanilla masculine ?...BUT...

Hi BNrs !
    I'm looking, as stated, for the best, heavenly Vanilla heavy (single note type even?) Mens edp. I have read many past threads/reviews (as we're not exactly lacking in the vanilla department)....
    ...BUT...I find most of the vanilla accords always have far too dominant notes that spoil what I like about the Vanilla in the first place. ie:
    Anise or Licorice seem most often the culpruits (L.Lempicka, SL, etc) ( I hate anise so pick it up instantly). ...Or else too strong an Orange and/or Lemon ( Pi, Jaipur, Shalimar etc). Or too heavy strong oblitarating Leather (though the subtle leather, more suede like in Dzing!, which I luv!). Then they're either very synthetic or too cloying, (some of the Lutens scents are positively diabetic, though I don't really mind sweetish, I've a sweet tooth). But then on the other hand, a plane single note Vanilla frag can be rather boring and too 'culinary' cake-y like.
    So, with all these restrictions in mind, anyone still have suggestions left that would fit my quest??? Maybe just a linear, maybe lightly (spiced?), woody woody, ambery BUT a natural vanilla ? (but then that sounds like eggnog.......AaaargghhH.!. ..what a ***** dilema !}
    P.S.- I had Gaultier2 once too, but found that one too Floral & the vanilla not at all natural!
    HELP!
    Last edited by Sybarite; 20th January 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Default Re: ? Best strongest Vanilla masculine ?...BUT...

See if you can get your hands on Tobacco Vanille from Tom Ford's exclusive range. To your point, it reflects what is most likable about vanilla, tempered with rich tobacco leaves.

Un Bois Vanille from Lutens is another, sweeter option (as you also reference in your post).

Good luck.

I second Tobacco Vanille

If you don't mind a hint of cherries in rum I think Chopard's Casran might be just the thing you're looking for. True, it's just an edt but after your third spray you'll think its parfum strength and will probably wish you had stopped at two squirts. Comptoir Sud Pacifique seems to specialize in vanilla to an almost ridiculous degree but if longevity is what you're seeking they may leave you wanting a little more. It really depends on your skin so milage will vary. Of course you could always reach for the classic Habit Rouge, apply liberally and bask in a warm, dry, well, powdery cloud of vanilla.

Sur la Plage

I suggest trying M. Micallef Note Vanillee or Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th January 2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Once Pi dries I don't get much citrus, just airy, delicious vanille!

I'll second the Guerlain SDV and Micallef recommendations from petruccijc.

Another good, strong vanilla is Montale Bois Vanille (which is an EdP), which has a nice, boozy and woody vanilla.

I'll third Tobacco Vanille(if you don't mind the actual tobacco note). The vanilla in it is so well done. Nice, creamy, and delicious. Underscored with a hint of cocoa and spices(cinnamon perhaps). The tobacco for me though is out front married with the vanilla, so keep that in mind.

Oh, forgot about the 'ambery vanilla' - a decent cheapie would be Roma but go easy on that trigger as it's one of those "warm" scents that seems to come with its own humidity built in.

There are a few here that are sounding pretty good. I'm a little affraid of the Tobbacco notes, as recently tried Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac , and did not enjoy that much. But the major reason I'm weary of the Tabbaco is that I'm (unfortunately) a smoker and don't want to be smelling overdose tobbaco.
    Is there any leather in Guerlains SDV ?
    Last edited by Sybarite; 20th January 2009 at 11:13 AM.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like Ellena's upcoming Hermes Vanille Galante might be what you are looking for..
    -

And Noirwest thanks for the Chopard Casran, I think I could do with the boozy cherries VERY easily. That sounds fantastic, and one I was not familiar with !

I'd suggest Tobacco Vanille or Tobacco Toscano ( despite the name, the latter is a simpler and more direct vanilla fragrance ).

My personal favorite vanilla is Ayala Moriel's Immortelle L'Amour... a pure vanilla with a spicy immortelle to balance it.

Tom Ford's dam expensive,

Guerlain SDV I can't seem to find anywhere??

Try Tabac Blond by Caron, pricey but most goddesses are

Edit: It might not have vanilla in it, heh, got caught up in the tobacco, worth a try regardless though.
    Last edited by ++++; 20th January 2009 at 08:09 AM.
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Boisé Vanillé by Montale and Vaniteck by Molinard! Both are very dry and strong vanilla-scents mixed with smooth woods, no sweetness at all!

I highly recommend trying Jill Sander Absolute.
    Last edited by brianroy; 20th January 2009 at 09:40 AM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

I second Molinard Vaniteck.

Post Re: ? Best strongest Vanilla masculine ?...BUT...

In general I am not into vanilla priominent fragrances at all, but do enjoy Santa Maria Novella's Tabacco Toscano alot. You really should check this one out Whiffter. Tobacco notes in this one are soft, muted and easy to pull off. Tobacco is still clearly noticeable to my nose.

Excellent recommendations so far. I'm partial to the hint of vanilla in the EDP formulation of Guerlain Habit Rouge. It can be difficult to find but worth it.

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Yeah yeah.. that one. It's super.

If you love Dzing!, you might just love Patchouli 24 by Le Labo, which I find even MORE interesting and much more complex with a more apparent vanilla note. But you'd have to like your vanilla with birch tar, dry leather, wood, and smoke There was a very very recent post about this very same subject and someone mentioned Bulgari Black as well... I think these three are sorta hovering under the same sub-category.

Kenzo's 7.15AM in Bali smells like vanilla ice cream to me

Definatly Guerlain SDV , it has so much more depth than Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille , not that its bad , far from it its just that I find it very linear . Tom Ford obviously has alot more tobacco which I find quite smooth

Serge Lutens Un Bois de Vanille on the other hand is just sickly and nauseating

L'Occitane Eav Des Bavx
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Basenotes Institution

While I think that Tobacco Vanille and Spiriteuese Double Vanille are wonderful vanilla/tobacco fragrances, you asked for linear, strong vanilla scents. For that, I agree with the Note Vanillee by M. Micallef recommendations. It's rather pricey, but it sounds exactly like what you want, from those I've tested.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I suggest trying M. Micallef Note Vanillee or Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille
    I agree! I haven't tried Note Vanille, but I have tried quite a few of M. Micallef's perfumes and every one has been very good, and extremely high quality. I think they are available to sample at luckyscent.com. Good Luck!

While unisex (and it does smell fabulous on my wife!), I find Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum to be a spicy, sweet, very powerful vanilla fragrance very suitable for men. If you can tolerate the first 30-45 minutes of topnotes, the subsequent evolution and drydown are intoxicating!
    Last edited by wicozani; 26th January 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Molinard Vanille is my favorite linear vanilla - it smells like alcohol and cotton candy at first spritz, but it has some caramel and lightly fruity notes, but dries down to a simple vanilla, great for layering as well.

Second choice would be Yves Rocher Bourbon Vanille, again pretty linear a bit darker than Molinard.

For blends, try Givenchy Organza Indecence, if you won't mind the eggnog feel, or to my nose more like custard - it is vanilla/tonka with woods and a bit of spice. EL Sensuous may be worth checking out as well, prominent vanilla with amber, incense, woods, a bit of spice.
    Currently wearing: Naturelle by Yves Rocher

Tom Ford is Tabacco with a bit of vanilla.

Guerlain SdV is Vanilla with a bit of tobacco.

Both masculine without any "madeleine" gourmand sweetness, per Tihota, nor much "booze".

BOTH are the right choice.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

santa maria novella vanilla is damn good....it has a raw vanilla scent to it, not sweet or cloying
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron