Code of Conduct

Default Zirh Ikon smells like...

Teen Spirit? Well, no. I just picked up a gift set from TJMaxx for $28.00, along with 6 bottles of their "Warrior" concentrated shower gels for $4.00 apiece (that's a whopping $18.50 savings for each one).

Anyway, when I first sprayed this, I didn't like it. Somewhere in its spicy heart-notes I smelled a scent I had a number of years ago that I didn't care much for and evidently got rid of. Problem is, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out which scent it was.

I've since sprayed it a few more times and have grown to like it a bit more for what it is, nothing shattering, yet, the similarities still linger, especially with the greenish/fresh top notes and spicy heart. The basenotes are a bit different, but there's one note in particular that is somewhat off-putting that I didn't care for in the other fragrance.

For some reason, it seems like Emporio Armani's He or Night He is the scent I'm thinking of. Anybody else think so?

Default Re: Zirh Ikon smells like...

I recently posted that I thought it felt similar to Opus 1870 in the drydown. Today, I was wearing it and detected a strong resemblance to Witness.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

...a modern Dunhill Edition which is a great thing in my book.
    Last edited by manicboy; 20th January 2009 at 06:31 PM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    ...a modern Dunhill Edition which is a great thing in my book.
    Bingo!

I've posted the similarities several times since Ikon was released. You're the first other person I've seen that detects the similarities.

I happen to like Edition better, but Ikon is like a slightly lighter version.

I feel vindicated

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

The woodyness reminded me of Gucci PH

I too picked up some of the Zirh "Warrior Collection" shower gels - I bought a bottle of "Alexander the Great" and... Well, I liked that stuff so much I ended up spending an entire day driving to every single Marshall's and TJ Maxx in the metropolitan area stocking up on as many bottles as I could find.

I've never been so excited over a "shower gel", but I absolutely LOVE the smell of this stuff and the scent lasts for hours on me. I've been thoroughly unimpressed with all of their fragrance releases, why the heck can't they put the fragrances of their shower gel collection in an EDT and sell it???

The opening smells like cheese.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
    I too picked up some of the Zirh "Warrior Collection" shower gels - I bought a bottle of "Alexander the Great" and... Well, I liked that stuff so much I ended up spending an entire day driving to every single Marshall's and TJ Maxx in the metropolitan area stocking up on as many bottles as I could find.
    Wow, that sounds exactly like something I would do when I get excited about a product (and it's a good deal). Be sure to use it up sooner than later! I have stockpiles of various shower gels and have been told by several people that the shelf life is only about 2 years or so.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but to me Ikon smells exactly like Azzaro Visit. Anyone else see the similarity?

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but to me Ikon smells exactly like Azzaro Visit. Anyone else see the similarity?
    Slightly in the woodiness. But Ikon is sweeter and has strong cinnamon and clove notes that Visit doesn't. Ikon is actually a little closer to Cacharel Nemo than it is to Visit.

But I'll still stick with Dunhill Edition as the closest.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 10th February 2009 at 12:58 AM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

hmmmm .... Ikon seems like good juice !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

mmm - I am smelling Donna Karen Black Cashmere - here

Arrow Re: Zirh Ikon smells like...

There's something in it a little sour, like the sourness in sandalwood, that reminds me of Gucci Envy for Men, but I'm not the first to notice that similarity.

I've sampled Ikon twice, and didn't pick up a similarity to Dunhill Edition. If I had to nominate something in production closest to Edition, it would be Armand Basi Homme, easy. I think I like it better than Edition, actually.

(edit: On a third sample, I can see the comparison to Edition, but I find them only a little similar.)
    Last edited by d4; 21st February 2009 at 09:53 PM.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    The opening smells like cheese.
    What type of cheese Brian ? ..... seriously .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    I agree completely! As the more volatile elements depart, the scent that remains is awfully close to Azzaro's Visit. The first hour, for me, show no obvious similarity but the showing aftwards is uncanny.

* my first post...

I tried this today and this stuff is really subtle. I doubt I got a bad bottle since this stuff recently came out but I don't see the praise that people give it. It smelled soapy and I associated it with hairspray for some reason.

azzaro visit and ikon are the same smell, opus albeit more complex, smells a lot cleaner, and nicer,

It does bear a faint resemblance to Azzaro visit. It also reminds me of Loreste pour Homme.

i got a bottle of ikon today and the opening is really good, the drydown is exactly like visit, and i got shot of visit just last week, which means ill probably be getting shot of Ikon next week, i like the bottle though, it feels good, and it was sooo cheap, about £8 for 75ml, a guy has a load of bottles on ebay 125ml for £12 delivered which is incredibly cheap....

somewhere in this thread it is mentioned that ikon smells a little like cheese, and that plant in my mind has not boded well though, 125ml of cheese to get through is a lot of lost women oppourtunities....!

ps, [the lost oppoutunities metaphor is purely that,i am happily engaged, for the record, and in case she is listening / reading...]

also,i would appreciate if someone could identify for me, the ingredient in azzaro visit / juicy couture / zirh ikon that is a heady type of alcohol that is somewhat nauseating...they all seem to share it to some degree...is it iso super that people speak of that i am detecting ?

Last time I wore it I thought of it as a creamy/spicy/slightly sweet opening that eventually gets to where Cuba Red is (CR being linear).

Dependent

woah i don't get creamy at all Bigs! definitely one of the spikiest in my collection with its spice & powerful patchouli. Ikon = the best cheapie imo.

For those of you that like Zirh (I've never tried it) I happened to run into it at perfumania.com last night on clearance for $12.99 for the 4.2 oz. bottle. Thought you might like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    woah i don't get creamy at all Bigs! definitely one of the spikiest in my collection with its spice & powerful patchouli. Ikon = the best cheapie imo.
    I said it started out that way. It doesn't end that way.

...clotted sweat; Bah!

Dependent

Brian Chambers was kind enough to provide me with a sample of the "x"orbitant Clive Christian X. I must say, it definitely smells like a deeper, richer, woodier and more natural Zirh Ikon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Teen Spirit? Well, no. I just picked up a gift set from TJMaxx for $28.00, along with 6 bottles of their "Warrior" concentrated shower gels for $4.00 apiece (that's a whopping $18.50 savings for each one).

Anyway, when I first sprayed this, I didn't like it. Somewhere in its spicy heart-notes I smelled a scent I had a number of years ago that I didn't care much for and evidently got rid of. Problem is, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out which scent it was.
    I posted this a while ago in another thread: I had more or less the same experience with Ikon. It took me a little while to realize that it reminded me of Aramis Devin on the drydown. Except that I personally like Devin.