Code of Conduct

Default Please suggest 1 or 2 Creeds for a sample buy

I finally found a shop in my area that carries a handful of Creed fragrances, but understandibly they had no testers. I felt like I was calling in a karma favor from a stranger when I asked "Is there any way at all I could just maybe please sample dot dot dot. I think my enthusiasm overruled the counter person's better judgement and he kindly sprayed shots of Tabarome and Silver Mountain Water on each wrist. The Tabarome was nice, I think this may have been my first exposure to a tobacco scent (I am brand new to this hobby) and it seemed to engender class and quality. The SMW was complex, but had a certain week-old-cut-flowers heart to it that turned me off a bit.

Instead of calling in more favors, I'm going to hit the Perfumed Court for a small sample buy. I'm dying to try Imperial & Himalaya, but I could use a suggestion for the 3rd choice. I think I'm avoiding Green Irish Tweed for now based solely on descriptions I've read here. It doesn't sound like a match for my tastes. Acier Aluminium sounds fascinating, but PC does not offer it (although the reviewer here that described it as "old man in a bottle" isn't exactly inspiring).

In my limited but vigorous time in the hobby, I've found I love Platinum Egoist, Allure, and Versace Pour Homme for reference sake.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Default Re: Please suggest 1 or 2 Creeds for a sample buy

I would suggest to definitely listen both praises and criticism from others (as it helps to educate your nose and define your likes and dislikes) but leave the ultimate judgement to yourself. I am sure you will come across many scents that don't get a lot of praises but you will love, and vice versa.

I'd give GIT a try regardless, it's a great scent and is absolutely worth trying. If you don't sample it now, you'll just keep wondering what it's like and end up doing something silly, like buying a tester bottle blind from Basenotes classifieds just 'cause it happens to be a great deal I'd also recommend Millesime Imperial and Santal Imperial. I know many like Himalaya, Royal Water and Acier Aluminium, although these do absolutely nothing for me. If you have a wife or a girlfriend, grab a sample of Love in White.

Once you're ready to buy, get a tester bottle from from Basenotes, MakeUpAlley or even eBay (if the eBay seller is very reputable), otherwise collecting Creeds can proove unnecessarily expensive.

Consider Erolfa, Bois du Portugal and Baie de Geneivre as possible options. You can read reviews to see if they are possibly of interest.

I'm personally enjoying Virgin Island Water a great deal these days
    Last edited by nthny; 21st January 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Two of my favorites are Bois du Portugal and Acier Aluminium I like switching between the two with Bois du Portugal being the stronger of the two.

Himalaya, Bois du Portugal and Chèvrefeuille Original

I'd suggest trying Royal Water or "Vintage" Tabarome. Don't let what a perfume "sounds" like put you off, Green Irish Tweed really is a very nice and versatile scent.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

AromiErotici

Royal water is good to go.

My suggestion would be Milleseme Imperial and Acier Aluminum.

If you like a smoky pine scent, Epicea is the way to go. I love it.
    Chevrefeuille is an intriguing green floral. I like it.
    Erfola is a pleasant marine scent.
    Zeste pamplemousse is very perky and fresh grapefruit/citrus.
    Portugal is smoky and substantial.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Himalaya and MI are my favs so far (although MI vanishes like a magician). As far as a third choice, I would definitely recommend Erolfa especially if you are looking for something with a contemporary vibe. The women I know tend to like this one the best.

When you start a thread like this, you're bound to get a suggestion for every fragrance in the line by one person or another.

I might as well through different ones into the mix:
    Royal English Leather
    Royal Scottish Lavender
    Bois de Cedrat
    Vanisia

I would say BdP. Even though I dislike it a great deal, it is one of the fragrances that many others are compared to in this forum. Hence it might prove to be a useful reference point in case you don't like it.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I would go for :
    BdP. simply amazing
    Acier. simply weir
    GIT. you have to tried, period.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Thank you for the spectacular suggestions! I think my initial goal of a couple samples has double and tripled already

p.s
    does anyone else see a conquistador in SirSlarty's avatar?