Etro Heliotrope for me today.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, all!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 21 January

Delicious CHERGUI
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 21 January

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Fleur Oriental by Miller harris

some people might be interested to know, alex will join me in holland next week, but my stepmother will be in surgery next week I feel as if I´m being tested.
    Last edited by Lian; 21st January 2009 at 08:57 AM.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Good morning Basenoters!

I'm in a burnished-gold-tinged fragrant cloud of Guerlain

Guet Apens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

The first bottle to hand this morning was Les Nuits d'Hadrien, so here I am again in a firm favourite. It seems a bit creamier today than usual. Gorgeous in any circumstances.

The mornings are getting lighter here, but still very cold. Despite its marketing as a summery citrus, Les Nuits is wonderfully warm in winter, and I will wear it all year round. I'll need to stock up soon.

I was in the mood for some Eden by Cacharel this morning.
    This is my nymph in the forest scent!

So early and you guys already are smelling fabulous! Wearing Bulgari Black to work today.

I'm only working a half day so I can take Daughter No.1 to the Ear/Nose/Throat MD. She has been having vertigo and headaches I am hoping she is not developing Menieres Syndrome like me although she is young to develop it. Keep your fingers crossed for us! One person in the family who walks into walls is plenty

Sur la Plage

Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah

Notes include lavender, patchouli, sandalwood, cinnamon, and clove.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My, my.
    So early, and already the cauldron bubbles, for so many....

Lian, honey- I have faith in you, although I wish this time wasn't fraught with roadblocks...
    Please tell us - I HOPE it is not a big procedure ?

Tdi- I'll be thinking of her, poor girl.
    NOT a pleasure, to be 'poked over' , when one is young.

No foodies until I 'wake up', this pm.
    I can have tea until 10 am...so I will.

After posting here, will climb into closet and beat a path to whatever I will need to access for the next 6 weeks-
    Make piles of papers and bills and such.

Thanks to all for your support !
    I'll have three toes broken and reset, and the bone underneath cut, reshaped, and titanium hardware placed.
    Fairly extensive, absolutely necessary.

SOTD ?
    It has to be something comforting and gentle.
    Maybe Love Comes From Within.

Be back as soon as I can get to desktop -type computer- my only source...

Big hugs !

Hello all! Hope you are having a good day so far?

I'm in Coco Mademoiselle.

Etro - Mahogany

Lian - awesome! I'm glad he's coming. Sorry to hear about stepmom, though. Maybe it's the universe trying to distract you.

Chaya - oweeoweeoweeowee........... Why are you nesting with bills rather than fun stuff (like your perfume collection?)

First day back to work since the inauguration (gee...I really haven't worked much this month ) . So NOT motivated, I am sitting here in my bathrobe Basenoting rather than doing important things like figuring out what to wear to work.

So far, my only decision is BPAL's Monna Vanna - courtesy of ScentMom ComDiva ScentMom!

I now smell like roses.

At least that's a start......
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Serge Lutens Chergui

Sending the goodvibes to tdi's daughter

Chaya - yikes, painful. Sounds like you're resigned to bear it gracefully, though - take care of yourself!
    tdi - I hope it's something quite unrelated. Like you said, she's really too young for that. Fingers crossed!

Today I picked Fig & Vetiver, yum.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

hugs to chaya, and to lian and to all, really.

Chanel no 19 again, spending time with my old love, that I first wore at the age of 17...fast forward nearly 3 decades and I still feel fine wearing it.

Hubby says he is sticking with Third Man through two administrations. Some things remain the same.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 21st January 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Twins with Tdi in BULGARI BLACK

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Boucheron Trouble today.

Best of luck and healing vibes to Chaya and tdi's daughter ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lian I'm glad to hear Alex is joining you especially since you have the unexpected stress of your stepmother's surgery. Alex going with you is another thing that should show you how good the present is for you. I hope you have a better trip than you expect.

Chaya, my thoughts are with you I hope the procedure goes perfectly and the healing goes quickly. The Basenotes peanut gallery will be here for your amusement when you're ready.

Still feeling a warm glow from yesterday's regime change here in the US. I am hopeful and optimistic about the future.

Today is bandwagon jumping day as I join the gang in wearing:

Montana Parfum D'Homme (red box)

I'm not a bottle person but the Devil's Tower-like bottle this one comes in, intrigued the Close Encounters geek in me. Not enough to try it. That came with the unabashed fans this one has and the comparisons to Aramis Havana, one of my favorites. It was with anticipation that I sprayed it on and was met with a very similar spicy citrus blast to Havana. This seems different as the lemon seems to show its dry side and I get the slightest tingle of aldehydes. This is a fleeting top and we progress quickly into the deep heart of this and here is where the spice takes over and the Oriental character bursts into life. There is a floral weave of rose, jasmine, and carnation. The clove character of carnation combines well with the cinnamon also present. The real star of the heart is the pine note that comes in and adds depth to the spice and counterpoint to the florals. The addition of this pine note is where Edouard Flechier turns this into a beauty. The pine note sticks around to lead the scent into the base which is chock-full of sandalwood and amber. I get little hints of patchouli and vanilla but this settles into pine, sandalwood and amber and it is a lovely place to end this journey. I get the comparisons to Havana but this is its own scent and in many ways as good or better than Havana. Really I think the more apt comparison is these were the kinds of scents prevalent in the early 90's, powerful Orientals. Montana Parfum D'Homme stands on its own, as tall as the monument the bottle looks like.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

(((((Chaya))))) dear, wishing you best of luck with the surgery and a quick, full recovery xoxoxo

TDI, keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter.

Sharing the house with Paula,

Bvlgari Omnia

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday!

Chaya, good luck for the surgery. Sending prayers for you and hugs to you!

OJ Woman for me this morning, Dolce Vita this evening.

Goodnight!

Yum! Lots of yummy smelling people today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    rose, jasmine, and carnation
    I'm glad to see you also smell pine, SMM. But florals? Must smell again. But later today.

Scent of the day: Versace Green Jeans (Thanks again, Andrew_B.!)

Lian, that's excellent news about Alex, I'm sorry to hear that you're stepmother is unwell though.
    Chaya, very good luck with the surgery. It's exciting to think though that once the pain of surgery is done it will be like having a new foot. Medicine is sometimes scary and painful, but it's fascinating too. A little like magic.

I'm going to work in Prada again. Wheeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Good morning Basenoters!

I'm in a burnished-gold-tinged fragrant cloud of Guerlain

Guet Apens

Lady, today we' re "sisterinparfume".....me too GUET APENS by Guerlain...one of my Guerlain's favourite....
    Last edited by Emifra; 21st January 2009 at 11:31 AM.

My SotD is one of the 3 essences from Nara 1869 (Parfums 137)!

PotL Luctor et Emergo for the rest of the day.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by Emifra View Post
    Lady, today we' re "sisterinparfume".....me too GUET APENS by Guerlain...one of my Guerlain's favourite....
    Actually, it was you who inspired me today!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

testing Night Blossom from Profumo.it thanks to the magnificent Quarry!

meandering through a tropical garden at night. moonlight is filtering through the trees, there is tuberose around here somewhere but it it is elusive, drawing me further in into the night

Lian, such good news that Alex is joining you on your trip to Holland. I'm sorry to hear about your stepmother. I hope everything goes well for you and yours.

Chaya, sending healing prayers and thoughts your way that everything goes according to plan and that recovery is quick.

I'm home today in my comfiest old tattered sweats, crazy hair, and floating around in a cloud of Bal à Versailles eau de cologne, which was a blind buy yesterday. I'd tried the parfum, but never the eau de cologne. At the moment, this is hitting me as one funky skanky grande dame of a cootchie scent. I feel like I've been on the road backpacking for a month, taking the occasional sponge bath, having great sex, and semi-attempting to cover up/co-mingle all the odors with a French perfume. I'm rather reveling in this vision of myself today. Eventually, I will have to shower and dress and go out all sanitized for the outside world. I'm not sure what my SotD will be later, but I have a passel 'o samples to play with.

Be well everybody.

You are wearing so many frags I have never tested today.....

I´m in RL Notorious, pleasant enough, but I don´t really "get" this one yet.

Sending positive thoughts and big hugs to Chaya and Lian!!

Chaya ~ My very best to you for a surgery that goes as planned, and the speediest recovery! Sake's right...leave the paperwork! Go for the frags!!!

Lian, if you feel like you're being tested ~ you probably are! Don't worry though, you'll make it through just fine - with flying colors in fact!

tdi, fingers crossed for your daughters' good health.

I do not like hearing of all these real life glitches. But, we take the good & bad together. You all are smelling exceptionally fine today. Me, well, I'm going for some samples...they've piled up on me and need to be sorted and redistributed. For now I'm basking in vintage Miss Dior perfume.

Healing vibes all around.

Today I am in Eau de Decant, but with a mainly Incense theme. I think the DK Black Cashmere is winning, so put me down for that SMM!

Chaya, dear Wild Thing; I will be thinking of you all day and sending you positive thoughts for a successful operation and a swift and full recovery. And just think how much fun it will be to have a bionic foot! Since you'll be away from your 'puter, we'll all have to send you postcards to get you well soon.

Tdi - cor but kids are a worry, aren't they? I just googled Menieres Syndrome and it sounds like it sucks. I hope it all turns out OK for your girl and that she doesn't have it, but that she does have some reason for her migraines that is easily solved.

Lian - I'm glad your lovely Alex is going Dutch with you. As SMM says, it's great to think of you two being happy together and having an exciting future. And he'll be a great support for you and your Dad while your step-mother has surgery. I bet your Dad will be glad to have you around while that's happening.

Lillybelle - I love that description! I laughed out loud reading it. Now where did I put my mini of this Skank Bomb? I hear it calling!

And all this talk about that Montana has made me soooo curious! I saw a bottle in a sale bin a week or two ago but didn't even sniff it: my bad! Next time...

And on a serious note, I'd like to congratulate all the US Basenoters on the inauguration of their new, ground-breaking President. Whether you voted for him or not, I hope you all are proud of yourselves for being part of a country that will elect a black man to the highest office. It's a wonderful day for all human beings and a step forward for the human race. Here's hoping more barriers will be broken down around the world.

Hope you all have a lovely day. Mine started with me dreaming of walzting with the dishy actor Robert Carlyle, so I'll be grinning for the next 24!
    hugs
    xxx
    Last edited by Wordbird; 21st January 2009 at 01:32 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Wink Re: SotD Wednesday 21 January

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Actually, it was you who inspired me today!
    Well,,, it's a great honor for me.....

Good morning everybody and healing vibes to those in need of them today Today the bf has the day off and we stayed waaay to long in bed today! Can't wait until the sun comes back(only a few more days now) My clothes still smelled of musk and roses from yesterdays sote,Rasa.I felt Diamonds will not clash with it so that's my sotd.
    SotE is a sample Ta'if. Still haven't made my mind up about it.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 21st January 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Wow, Chaya, wishing you a quick recovery!!!
    and Tdi, best of luck with your little girl!

Today I'm wearing Nu Eau de Parfum,
    in hopes it'll warm me up a little,
    it's -13°C but feels like -23 °C
    gotta love that windchill
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

First off, positive visions for Chayarinna.

We know your feet are in good hands.

Let us know what you learn, tdi. We worry with you, Mom.
    Thanks for the European perspective, Wordbird. I'm amazed and pleased that skin color has become almost meaningless in the eyes of voters. I do love this land and our political foundation. If we citizens can get smart about managing our future environmentally, I will die a happy (and hopefully 100yo) woman.
    Love reading all your posts, but this morning, Lilybelle's was definitely worth the price of admission.
    Trying to figure out what scent to wear for the conference I speak at Saturday. I have no confidence in any of my dozen bottles or hundreds of samples. How does this happen? Keeping in mind I'll be handing out diffuser reeds soaked in Firefly, I should probably wear something simple. Will test drive Comme des Garcons Lily today to see if that will work.

Wearing Dune today.

L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I'm really enjoying Allure Sensuelle today. Getting lots of Frankincense from it.

Chaya: Best of luck, sweetie, and do cut yourself some slack. Healing from foot surgery takes patience.

Lian: Day by day. It sounds like you have found ways to ease the stress.

Lillybelle: Funny account. I can't believe that i wore Bal a Versailles at twelve and thirteen. What must my seventh grade math class have thought?

I am wearing Jicky today. It is a reliable love.

Chaya, get well soon!
    2 spritzes of Coco Mademoiselle after work

Ohhhh sleepy, sleepy morning...yaaaawwwn... I hope everyone is well.

Prada Infusion d'Iris today.

Smile Re: SotD Wednesday 21 January

Welcome Adeline45! Now I'm going to have to Google your SotD. Never heard it.

Chaya, I am hoping your surgery goes very smoothly. Even under the best circumstances, foot surgery is no fun at all. Make sure you get enough pain medication! One heals better when not fighting with pain!
    TDI I hope your daughter is okay and just has a little middle ear fluid or something simple like that
    Lilybelle, love your description of Bal a Versailles. It's going on my test list. There are so many classics that I have yet to sniff! Looking forward to trying them all.

Today I am sampling a fragrance from (yet another) new line--Omnia. This one is called Madera. Absolutely the BEST caramel note. It doesn't smell plasticky or fake--just yummy, but definitely only for those with a sweet tooth!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 21st January 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Vol de Nuit (parfum) by Guerlain (2nd time from a sample - thanks Ruggles)

Today is, perhaps, the coldest day it's been all winter in Miami - the VdN is performing beautifully. So much warmer and resinous than the EdT. Sillage is perhaps too discreet for my tastes, but for something that smells this good I won't complain.

Antaeus (Chanel)

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

Love reading all your posts, but this morning, Lilybelle's was definitely worth the price of admission.
    Hurry Quarry! Call the doctor ~ I have a pain ~ If doctors only looked like that!

Yep, Lilybelle's post wins for the best read of the morning!

Jillsy: Happy Belated Birthday! (A little slow to the party here...)

Chaya: Best of luck for a safe surgery and thorough recovery. I hope you'll find a laptop or come up with a way to check in now and then.

tdi: Good luck with your sweet daughter. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Lilybelle: Love your description of Bal a Versailles. I've never done more than sample my mini, but now will look at it with new eyes!

I've been reading this thread to get ideas on what to spritz on this late, lazy morning for me. For now I think I'll dab on some Pink Sugar from the sample that is closest to me. That's one way to choose a fragrance--whatever is nearest at hand.

Ok. I've dabbed, and I'm remembering why I've never liked this. I'll give it some time, but it may be a scrubber.
    Last edited by lushsoup; 21st January 2009 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Hurry Quarry! Call the doctor ~ I have a pain ~ If doctors only looked like that!
    !
    That's a really dishy doc!
    Ubu: i think you'll be in trouble with some "standard procedures" with a doc who looked like that! haha!

Lian: take care, my thoughts are with you.
    Chaya: good luck!
    tdi: I'm thinking of you as you care for your DD. Those symptoms that you describe could be a indicative of a transitory problem (cold or virus).

Wearing L'heure Bleu, haven't taken this one out for a spin in a long long time.
    Last edited by dimples; 21st January 2009 at 04:54 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I cought a cold just in time for my trip to Salzburg. But I'm still looking forward to it.

SotD: Bond No. 9 West Side

Best wishes to all of you and best of luck for the surgery, Chaya!

Prayers and Get Well wishes and to: potiron, lian, chaya, tdi;s precious daughter,

Everyone else,
    Be blessed and have a pleasant work day.

As for me?
    One of my neighbors horses escaped and came over to our property. The county police saw it and thought it was ours. In his attempt to let it into our pasture, two of our horses escaped so, we have had a stressful and busy morning. I think I will wear Molinard, Les Fleurs de Provence Lavande. Perhaps that will help me to wind down because, I am still wired.

"Don't Hate, Celebrate!"
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Missoni from a sample.

Luca Turin did a good job describing this fragrance in The Guide.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

And I believe the doc is a GYN ..

Geir as SotD. First really appropriate wearing at a 37F wakeup temp.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Tom Ford Pour Homme
    Gary

Miller Harris • FEUILLES DE TABAC

Good thoughts and wishes for good health to everyone!

Wearing CK Obsession today.

SotD ~ CK Euphoria

Chanel No. 19 again...a fragrance that helps with calmness and strength (for me, at least). Best to all...

Started today with Caron Fleur d' Rochaille which was lovely while it lasted.
    Just switched gears and am sampling Allure Sensuelle. I can't decide if I like it on me or not.

SotA is Hindu Kush by Profumo.it (thanks very much to Quarry for the decant). This is wonderful. I get camphorous cardamom, sweet resinous woods, sacred incense. It's very pure smelling and I definitely get the effect the creator had in mind, of being carried away by a scent that is more like a component of consecratation than a mundane perfume. And yet, it keeps you firmly grounded in the physical world as well. Unfortunately, due to its natural ingredients, it is somewhat short lived on me. But re-spritzing is a pleasure. I want to sleep in this tonight. Lovely, lovely, lovely! Well, I suppose this my day for going from the ridiculous to the sublime.

My best to you Chaya, hope the healing process is as smooth as possible.

Got a bit worried when I applied the last of my Fleur Oriental sample because it didn't smell half as good on me as on previous wearings. Now after an hour it has dried down nicely, thank goodness!