Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Fragrance sales still going up despite US recession...

Despite the tough US recession, Forbes reports that sales in the US of personal care items (yes, that includes perfume) are going up by double-digit numbers. It's probably because fragrance is an accessible way to indulge yourself. Notably, personal care (including fragrance) is part of a list that also includes netbooks, video games such as Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii, fast-food, and replacement auto parts.

I wonder what fragrance brands and companies are faring well in this recession?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 21st January 2009 at 08:06 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Fragrance sales still going up despite US recession...

I would love to hear from some of the people here who are in the business whether their sales have been up or down through the holidays.
    I believe that when things are tough it is on the personal things we will spend money on because we can get more repeat use out of them.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Hillaire

I have given this some thought. I think it's like how movies were very popular in the Great Depression. I think we want a sense of luxury, and fragrance (for me) is a relativley inexpensive, long-lasting, and very luxurious-feeling item. It isn't nearly as indulgent as a dinner out, or an outfit, but provides a similar satisfaction.
    I am buying more perfumes, but I am ceratinly eating out at expensive less...if at all, anymore. And I am saving a LOAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I have given this some thought. I think it's like how movies were very popular in the Great Depression. I think we want a sense of luxury, and fragrance (for me) is a relativley inexpensive, long-lasting, and very luxurious-feeling item. It isn't nearly as indulgent as a dinner out, or an outfit, but provides a similar satisfaction.
    I am buying more perfumes, but I am ceratinly eating out at expensive less...if at all, anymore. And I am saving a LOAD.

I wholeheartedly agree that steady, even increasing sales, make sense in a depressed economy. Especially, in light of the way we've become accustomed to living in the last 10 years, i.e. constant bombardment from marketing campaigns to buy, possess, BE, because of the latest greatest product. And we've succommed to it. Now, experiencing a sense of paucity, I think the psyche needs to feel enveloped in a sense of wealth.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Fragrance sales still going up despite US recession...

Hillaire: I think you have a good point. Fragrance is turning out to be the opiate of the masses. Of course given our more intensive involvement in fragrance does that make us the intelligencia?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 28th January 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Hillaire: I think you have a good point. Fragrance is turning out to be the opiate of the masses. Of course given our more intensive involvement in fragrance does that make us the intelligencia?
    I'm sorry, N_Tesla, but I think it just makes us addicts. Most people splurge a little, we've made a lifestyle of it.