Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

Underrated? Oh yes, bigggggg Time! It’s not just this shiny disco ball cap, cool looking bottle, It’s a scent which will find lot of respect amongst us.

smooooooo - th notes of pina colada greets with light touch of florals and smoky, woody notes... I have come across fruity scents...but, I can safely say, non like this. It’s beautiful and elegant in its composition; the blend, just perfect, like a harmony. The mood is undoubtedly dark (grey) and mysterious…the progressions, definitely exciting and ever-changing. By mid-notes, the fruity notes (think rich pina colada) melt into a smoky and velvety smooth accord of woods. The smokiness of this scent is the beauty of it, along with it’s lovely blend of woods (the smoke is not as intense as black tourmaline, nevertheless, is a distant relative of the same) all this on a warm base of amber and musk along with resinous notes of incense and woods (think M7). The quality of amber and incense is very smooth and well rounded off leaving no sharp edges… It’s a blend which is very opulent and rich. By base notes, I feel I’m wearing a smoked, woody(intense), leather based scent with touch of incense. The best part is, though it may sound dark, it’s still remakarbly easy to wear to office or outings alike...

To sum it up, it's not fair to label it fruity scent; this is "much" more than that. It’s been 10 hours now and still, this scent is evolving, not many do. Close to skin, it still smells beautiful and mysterious; which goes on to show the quality on this scent. Very easy to get addicted to this one. a big assed picture and a thumbs up!
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd January 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

Another fan here *waves hand*

Okay- this might sound like a really redundant question, and for that, I apologise but Is this a male or a female scent?!

Mike

EDIT- Hang on... its in the Male section... GAH I apologise- its been a long day!
    Last edited by Angeldust; 21st January 2009 at 09:39 PM.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Marketed to women, but completely wearable by men.

http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...mbre-gris.html
    Here's the review I wrote a few months ago.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st January 2009 at 09:40 PM.

I didn't like it as much as some of us do. I have a sample going to waste.

HI Jenson,

Glad you are enjoying it and finally got there in one piece!

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    HI Jenson,

Glad you are enjoying it and finally got there in one piece!
    Absolutely Denec! this has been one of the best swaps ever. loving it!!

Thanxxxxxx!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

I posted about this fragrance some time ago. I think it is a wonderful fragrance and a real sleeper. Since it is now available for under $30.00 at some of the online discounters Ambre Gris is also a good buy. I am glad to hear that many others like it too. Shortly after the first bottle arrived I ordered another. I certainly hope this doesn't get discontinued anytime soon. My first bottle was a blind buy based on a review and once tried it was love at first sniff.

I bought it blind. I think it is so well made, ingredients, blending and packaging. As Telsa writes, "a real sleeper."

For anyone interested in this scent, it's at Parfum1.com for $26.50, and that's BEFORE the 20% discount they are running now.

After the discount it comes to $21.20 for a 100ml bottle. I might blind buy it just because it's so cheap.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

To me it smelled like hairspray. Maybe that is intentional? I thought it was OK after the hairspray note faded, but it is not FBW for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I didn't like it as much as some of us do. I have a sample going to waste.
    SS, care to elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Also, how would everyone rate this on a feminine/masculine scale. Say, 0 = totally feminine, 5 = neutral, adn 10 = totally masculine - what would you rate it?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    SS, care to elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Also, how would everyone rate this on a feminine/masculine scale. Say, 0 = totally feminine, 5 = neutral, adn 10 = totally masculine - what would you rate it?
    for me, something from the escasda line for the ladies would be feminine (and any other scent similar to that). so, it's safe to call this masculine by everymeans...

in others words i find this much more controlled in the fruity note department than lets say H.M. (which totally grosses me out)...by mids this scent is pretty smoky and woody with a mesmerising sillage..

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    For anyone interested in this scent, it's at Parfum1.com for $26.50, and that's BEFORE the 20% discount they are running now.

After the discount it comes to $21.20 for a 100ml bottle. I might blind buy it just because it's so cheap.
    at that price, it's a steal !!

The bottle looks fabulous!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Australian basenoters can purchase this online at www.discountperfume.net.au for $50AUD.
    I had this and M. de Balmain in my "shopping cart" there for about a week. This prompted me to click "Proceed to Checkout". Thanks Jenson for providing the catalyst
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 5th February 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Australian basenoters can purchase this online at www.discountperfumes.com.au for $50AUD.
    I had this and M. de Balmain in my "shopping cart" there for about a week. This prompted me to click "Proceed to Checkout". Thanks Jenson for providing the catalyst

great! please do share your thoughts once you get em', thnx!

Blog Entries

Regarding the question of the gender rating of this frag. I think it is very unisex.

Too feminine IMO

I can't find this in the Basenotes fragrance directory. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave View Post
    I can't find this in the Basenotes fragrance directory. What's up with that?
    Yes, that really needs fixing. Someone?

Yes, that really needs fixing. Someone?

Jenson has already put it in the 'Missing fragrances list' on the board..

Received Ambre Gris and Monsieur Balmain today. The bottle is stunning. The scent is equally so, but quite complex. It will take me a few wearings to get my head around it. Does anyone get a distinct coconut smell from this? Others seems to have perceived this as 'peanut brittle' or 'marshmallow'. There's also something in the opening that reminds me of Arpege PH but without the sharpness. Maybe that's what Asha described as 'hairspray'. Definitely wearable by men, for those who are concerned by such things. I'd put it at about the same point on the Masc/Fem scale as Dior Homme.

Received Ambre Gris and Monsieur Balmain today. The bottle is stunning. The scent is equally so, but quite complex. It will take me a few wearings to get my head around it. Does anyone get a distinct coconut smell from this? Others seems to have perceived this as 'peanut brittle' or 'marshmallow'. There's also something in the opening that reminds me of Arpege PH but without the sharpness. Maybe that's what Asha described as 'hairspray'. Definitely wearable by men, for those who are concerned by such things. I'd put it at about the same point on the Masc/Fem scale as Dior Homme.

It doesn't sound like it was 'love at first sniff' with this mate
    It seems it will take a bit of twisting for you to like this.....

I am still waiting for my bottle to arrive & I really wish I get along with it from the word go........

A friend of mine received a bottle in a swap for just a decant of tann roka. Now I know why! She said, "It smells like a ladies' perfume from the kiosk at the mall" and I tend to agree, nowhere near the thrill the bottle is.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    It doesn't sound like it was 'love at first sniff' with this mate
    It seems it will take a bit of twisting for you to like this.....

I am still waiting for my bottle to arrive & I really wish I get along with it from the word go........
    Definitely an 'odd one', gupts. I expected it to be much stronger and long lasting, being an EdP. Initially I was very cautious with the application because of that, but had to give myself a few extra spritzes half an hour later to boost it up a bit. Even so it fades quite rapidly. It opens with a fairly soft (to me) fruity, flowery effect. Then it's like a cloudy day when the sun breaks through giving you a whiff of the amber base. Then the clouds close again for a while. Eventually it's just the amber, a very nice but soft amber, that sits very close to the skin.

Took nearly two weeks to arrive from www.discountperfume.net.au, along with Monsieur Balmain. Now that's another story, if you like lemons...

"smoked, woody(intense), leather based scent with touch of incense"

It sounds somewhat like One Man Show. I got OMS a few weeks back and I can't believe how often I reach for it and how much I enjoy it (one spray only!). Have you tried OMS, Trufflehunter ?

Definitely an 'odd one', gupts. I expected it to be much stronger and long lasting, being an EdP. Initially I was very cautious with the application because of that, but had to give myself a few extra spritzes half an hour later to boost it up a bit. Even so it fades quite rapidly. It opens with a fairly soft (to me) fruity, flowery effect. Then it's like a cloudy day when the sun breaks through giving you a whiff of the amber base. Then the clouds close again for a while. Eventually it's just the amber, a very nice but soft amber, that sits very close to the skin.

Took nearly two weeks to arrive from www.discountperfume.net.au, along with Monsieur Balmain. Now that's another story, if you like lemons...
    Thnx for the update TruffleHunter !

i felt the magic is in its sillage. it was lingering on me thruout the day. my wife too uses it, and it stays very strong on her even after returing from work...and let me tell you, travelling in Bombay is a Grind in itself. i;d say give it some time, and it will grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    "smoked, woody(intense), leather based scent with touch of incense"

It sounds somewhat like One Man Show. I got OMS a few weeks back and I can't believe how often I reach for it and how much I enjoy it (one spray only!). Have you tried OMS, Trufflehunter ?
    well Biglsy, they dont smell even remotely close. also, dont you think OMS and Vistory League is the solution to all the frgrances out there

Blog Entries

Since my first post regarding Ambre Gris I see the price slowly increasing. I don't know if that is because more people are discovering it and purchases are up or just the strange economy but, I am buying a couple more bottles while the getting is good. I have two now. Just think ten bottles of this or one liter would cost you about $280.00. Not bad for quality fragrance. Hummmm should I?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Since my first post regarding Ambre Gris I see the price slowly increasing. I don't know if that is because more people are discovering it and purchases are up or just the strange economy but, I am buying a couple more bottles while the getting is good. I have two now. Just think ten bottles of this or one liter would cost you about $280.00. Not bad for quality fragrance. Hummmm should I?
    I wouldn't...unless its the only fragrance you plan to wear for the rest of your life!

Quote Originally Posted by perfume_addict View Post
    i wouldn't...unless its the only fragrance you plan to wear for the rest of your life!
    +1

I'm just going by what others say, since I haven't sampled this. Victory League is an excellent frag for the money and good for the "newbie"' who wants something decent but not too challenging. I mention these to help people out, especially the newbies, because it won't cost them much if they hate them. I also mention things like only spraying OMS once or twice. Just trying to help out, and of course I'm also curious about whether one frag smells like another. Today, for example, I discovered that Jack Black Silver Mark is similar to M; Men. If you don't ask, you many never find out !

After having read this thread again last night, I was inspired to wear Ambre Gris today. It started out all amber and resins, but by mid-afternoon I smelled a Coco Mademoiselle-like accord! I was surprised to discover that it had dried down to patchouli and fruit on me. Pleasant, but not expected. I've re-applied now to get the amber and resins back but I found the development sort of backward!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    well Biglsy, they dont smell even remotely close. also, dont you think OMS and Vistory League is the solution to all the frgrances out there
    Jenson you forgot about Jacomo Rouge

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Jenson you forgot about Jacomo Rouge

Oh yes! i didnt mention that coz i too back tht scent like a broken record

Jenson...

The top looks like a golf ball made out of gold. Is it just the same size as that of an actual golf ball? I think the bottle is just too beautiful.....I hope mine arrives on Monday

The bottle is beautiful. The top is a bit smaller than a golf ball, gupts!

This frag is capturing me, I think. I'm onto day three now and I keep putting it on. That rarely happens, even with a new acquisition that I've fallen instantly in love with! I usually give it a break for a while. But there's something going on here with Ambre Gris that's grabbing my attention. I really wasn't sure at first.

PerfumeAddict, your experience with the development of the accords is the exact opposite of mine! With me it starts off all fruity and flowery and then dries down to a beautiful soft amber. If I sniff the cap, all I get really is the amber. When I sniff my shirt the next day, it's the amber again. The top notes don't last long with me but I'm loving the way they develop as a distinct pair of accords that take turns on the stage, weaving in and out of each other. I'm starting to believe it's a wonderfully complex and brilliantly constructed fragrance. I get what you're saying about the Coco Mademoiselle thing, furthermore... I'm still getting coconut coming and going!

Excuse me while I spray on some more...

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    After having read this thread again last night, I was inspired to wear Ambre Gris today. It started out all amber and resins, but by mid-afternoon I smelled a Coco Mademoiselle-like accord! I was surprised to discover that it had dried down to patchouli and fruit on me. Pleasant, but not expected. I've re-applied now to get the amber and resins back but I found the development sort of backward!
    Thank you for chiming in !!

The bottle is beautiful. The top is a bit smaller than a golf ball, gupts!

This frag is capturing me, I think. I'm onto day three now and I keep putting it on. That rarely happens, even with a new acquisition that I've fallen instantly in love with! I usually give it a break for a while. But there's something going on here with Ambre Gris that's grabbing my attention. I really wasn't sure at first.

PerfumeAddict, your experience with the development of the accords is the exact opposite of mine! With me it starts off all fruity and flowery and then dries down to a beautiful soft amber. If I sniff the cap, all I get really is the amber. When I sniff my shirt the next day, it's the amber again. The top notes don't last long with me but I'm loving the way they develop as a distinct pair of accords that take turns on the stage, weaving in and out of each other. I'm starting to believe it's a wonderfully complex and brilliantly constructed fragrance. I get what you're saying about the Coco Mademoiselle thing, furthermore... I'm still getting coconut coming and going!

Excuse me while I spray on some more...
    i can totally relate to what you are saying! there is that "X" factor in it.. the way this scent keeps one lingering with thse wonderful set of accords is truly some work. very rare to see such quality in a desginer scent nowadays...

Thnx for keeping everyone posted !

Jenson...

The top looks like a golf ball made out of gold. Is it just the same size as that of an actual golf ball? I think the bottle is just too beautiful.....I hope mine arrives on Monday
    The bottle is really handsome...I like the smokey grey of the bottle glass, and the chunky, solidity of it, combined with the gold "Epcot" dome top (or maybe its the Times Square New Year's Eve ball). Not dimpled like a golf ball...honeycombed!

I,m just going to buy this blind today based on all the reviews and comments.I think it is my sort of fragrance as I love smokey woody scents such as M7 and I used to love Gucci Rush for men before it was discontinued.My late mother always loved Balmain fragrances and the one that smelled particularly nice on her was Jolie Madame.
    I have tried Monsieur Balmain but it wasnt to my taste,very lemon with a cedarish dry down
    Also does anyone know who the other newish Bamain fragrance would be suitable for ie.La Mome.
    Is it a fragrance that a man could wear as the contents list seemed very fruity,floral??
    Last edited by funnyboy; 28th February 2009 at 07:54 PM.
    funnyboy

Quote Originally Posted by funnyboy View Post
    I,m just going to buy this blind today based on all the reviews and comments.I think it is my sort of fragrance as I love smokey woody scents such as M7 and I used to love Gucci Rush for men...
    I would err on the side of caution here Funnyboy - there is very little smokey and woody about Ambre Gris. It is almost a polar opposite to those scents you mention above.
    Think more along the lines of Gaultier2, and you're in the same neighbourhood as this Balmain release.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

Glad to see that Ambre Gris is getting some press and use here. I was sold on this fragrance from the first moment I used it and it just got better as the hours went by. Viva la Ambre Gris! The unknown country.

Got my sample in the mail today. I've been wearing it for an hour and a half. It's very similar to Belle en Rykiel (though a bit weaker), but with the addition of a phlegm-like note that wafts in and out from time to time. At this point, I'd stick with the more pleasant BeR. I'll update this if there's any major changes over the next few hours.

Blog Entries

I have both Bell en Rykiel and Ambre Gris. To me they are too different personalities both sighrly gourmond but Bell is brash and loud where AG is soft and sophisticated with a better vanilla rendtition IMO.The difference to me is I own 1 bottle of Belle and 1/2 liter ( five bottles) of Ambre Gris. Of course frags are individual to our tastes and both are good frags.

Jenson...

Here's another pic to give a better idea of proportion and size. It's a super heavy bottle!

Yes, BeR is brash, but this phlegm note in Ambre Gris is something I probably won't be able to deal with.

you are an excellent photographer Jrd4t... the glass looks stunning and the golf ball is kind playing tricks with my eyes...am i hallucinating or what

you are an excellent photographer Jrd4t... the glass looks stunning and the golf ball is kind playing tricks with my eyes...am i hallucinating or what
    aww shucks

This is my SotE tonight, and I have to say Bigsly, after my 5th day with the flu, the only phlegm-note I'm getting is coming from my hankie.

Bigsly, i dont think you realise, this happens to be one the cheapest perfumes out there which is offering such quality,,,even the rykiel is expensive

Okay, the phlegm note combined with a dry incense-like note and isn't bad. I've got to try using more, but then the early phlegm might make it intolerable. I'll try three sprays next time. The price is irrelevant to me, because I can get more than enough by trading stuff I don't want, and when I review frags I don't take price into account when giving it a +,-, or neutral.

UPDATE: I get wafts of the BeR top accord continually, but the drydown brings a resinous, "gray" amber too. I can't say I really like this, but I can understand those who do. I've got an amber similar to this (generic) that I like better, and also BeR, so I can't see myself reaching for this often. Longevity seems excellent and sillage is good, but comes and goes (which is fine with me, because it prevents possible boredom). I have enough for several more wearings, whenever I get around to it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th March 2009 at 12:30 AM.

Blog Entries

I have worn this fragrance now for over three months and I have to say the bang for the buck is amazing and the fragrance is classy, so is the bottle. It is beautiful vanilla and a little gourmand.

A thought on this :
    It's easily rendered more fascinating, with a dab of Madini Ambar Gris....
    The choya nakh in the Madini amps up smokiness and 'dries out ' extra sweetness that might be found cloying.
    That way, you can enjoy your bottle better [ if it's a problem].

I like it both ways- but the Madini really turns it into a one-of-a-kind-knockout-
    The kind of scent you'd make for yourself, as a bespoke....

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Here's another pic to give a better idea of proportion and size. It's a super heavy bottle!

jrd4t...thank you mate...for using your 'photography skills' to reveal the true character of the bottle.....

I did get my own bottle though, after reading so much about it on the board...I must say, the bottle is definitely 'up there'

As for the juice inside, I have worn it a few times and everytime I wear it, I tell myself I am going to have an opinion this time for sure, but I can't decide.
    I don't like it much, yet it's not so bad. I guess I need to keep reassessing it.

Jenson, you are right there mate...Jrd4t is an 'excellent photographer'....perhaps you are not aware of his 'credentials' ...check your PM

Blog Entries

I tried Belle en Rykiel tonight and it is true that the base seems similar but it is just a little too loud compared to Ambre Gris.

I think there's a bit more wood in the BeR base. In any case, the big problem I have with AG is that the super sweet top notes keep wafting up, and this detracts from the appreciation of the "gray" amber, which is nice. With BeR, those top notes subside after a couple of hours or so, and then you have a woody amber mostly.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th March 2009 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
    Okay- this might sound like a really redundant question, and for that, I apologise but Is this a male or a female scent?!

Mike

EDIT- Hang on... its in the Male section... GAH I apologise- its been a long day!
    Sweetie; over 100 posts and you ask this question. There is not a fragrance that should be labeled male or female, all fragrances can be worn by either gender .

Also, love your avatar
    Last edited by Brielle87; 14th March 2009 at 04:13 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

My idea of fun is seeing Ambre Gris in Colette Paris for 100 Euros and then coming home and buying it online for 20 bucks!