Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

Underrated? Oh yes, bigggggg Time! It’s not just this shiny disco ball cap, cool looking bottle, It’s a scent which will find lot of respect amongst us.

smooooooo - th notes of pina colada greets with light touch of florals and smoky, woody notes... I have come across fruity scents...but, I can safely say, non like this. It’s beautiful and elegant in its composition; the blend, just perfect, like a harmony. The mood is undoubtedly dark (grey) and mysterious…the progressions, definitely exciting and ever-changing. By mid-notes, the fruity notes (think rich pina colada) melt into a smoky and velvety smooth accord of woods. The smokiness of this scent is the beauty of it, along with it’s lovely blend of woods (the smoke is not as intense as black tourmaline, nevertheless, is a distant relative of the same) all this on a warm base of amber and musk along with resinous notes of incense and woods (think M7). The quality of amber and incense is very smooth and well rounded off leaving no sharp edges… It’s a blend which is very opulent and rich. By base notes, I feel I’m wearing a smoked, woody(intense), leather based scent with touch of incense. The best part is, though it may sound dark, it’s still remakarbly easy to wear to office or outings alike...

To sum it up, it's not fair to label it fruity scent; this is "much" more than that. It’s been 10 hours now and still, this scent is evolving, not many do. Close to skin, it still smells beautiful and mysterious; which goes on to show the quality on this scent. Very easy to get addicted to this one. a big assed picture and a thumbs up!
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd January 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Default Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

Another fan here *waves hand*

Okay- this might sound like a really redundant question, and for that, I apologise but Is this a male or a female scent?!

Mike

EDIT- Hang on... its in the Male section... GAH I apologise- its been a long day!
    Last edited by Angeldust; 21st January 2009 at 08:39 PM.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Marketed to women, but completely wearable by men.

http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...mbre-gris.html
    Here's the review I wrote a few months ago.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st January 2009 at 08:40 PM.

I didn't like it as much as some of us do. I have a sample going to waste.

HI Jenson,

Glad you are enjoying it and finally got there in one piece!

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    HI Jenson,

Glad you are enjoying it and finally got there in one piece!
    Absolutely Denec! this has been one of the best swaps ever. loving it!!

Thanxxxxxx!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

I posted about this fragrance some time ago. I think it is a wonderful fragrance and a real sleeper. Since it is now available for under $30.00 at some of the online discounters Ambre Gris is also a good buy. I am glad to hear that many others like it too. Shortly after the first bottle arrived I ordered another. I certainly hope this doesn't get discontinued anytime soon. My first bottle was a blind buy based on a review and once tried it was love at first sniff.

I bought it blind. I think it is so well made, ingredients, blending and packaging. As Telsa writes, "a real sleeper."

For anyone interested in this scent, it's at Parfum1.com for $26.50, and that's BEFORE the 20% discount they are running now.

After the discount it comes to $21.20 for a 100ml bottle. I might blind buy it just because it's so cheap.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

To me it smelled like hairspray. Maybe that is intentional? I thought it was OK after the hairspray note faded, but it is not FBW for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I didn't like it as much as some of us do. I have a sample going to waste.
    SS, care to elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Also, how would everyone rate this on a feminine/masculine scale. Say, 0 = totally feminine, 5 = neutral, adn 10 = totally masculine - what would you rate it?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    SS, care to elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Also, how would everyone rate this on a feminine/masculine scale. Say, 0 = totally feminine, 5 = neutral, adn 10 = totally masculine - what would you rate it?
    for me, something from the escasda line for the ladies would be feminine (and any other scent similar to that). so, it's safe to call this masculine by everymeans...

in others words i find this much more controlled in the fruity note department than lets say H.M. (which totally grosses me out)...by mids this scent is pretty smoky and woody with a mesmerising sillage..

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    For anyone interested in this scent, it's at Parfum1.com for $26.50, and that's BEFORE the 20% discount they are running now.

After the discount it comes to $21.20 for a 100ml bottle. I might blind buy it just because it's so cheap.
    at that price, it's a steal !!

The bottle looks fabulous!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Australian basenoters can purchase this online at www.discountperfume.net.au for $50AUD.
    I had this and M. de Balmain in my "shopping cart" there for about a week. This prompted me to click "Proceed to Checkout". Thanks Jenson for providing the catalyst
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 5th February 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Australian basenoters can purchase this online at www.discountperfumes.com.au for $50AUD.
    I had this and M. de Balmain in my "shopping cart" there for about a week. This prompted me to click "Proceed to Checkout". Thanks Jenson for providing the catalyst

great! please do share your thoughts once you get em', thnx!

Blog Entries

Regarding the question of the gender rating of this frag. I think it is very unisex.

Too feminine IMO

I can't find this in the Basenotes fragrance directory. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RicoSuave View Post
    I can't find this in the Basenotes fragrance directory. What's up with that?
    Yes, that really needs fixing. Someone?

Yes, that really needs fixing. Someone?

Jenson has already put it in the 'Missing fragrances list' on the board..

Received Ambre Gris and Monsieur Balmain today. The bottle is stunning. The scent is equally so, but quite complex. It will take me a few wearings to get my head around it. Does anyone get a distinct coconut smell from this? Others seems to have perceived this as 'peanut brittle' or 'marshmallow'. There's also something in the opening that reminds me of Arpege PH but without the sharpness. Maybe that's what Asha described as 'hairspray'. Definitely wearable by men, for those who are concerned by such things. I'd put it at about the same point on the Masc/Fem scale as Dior Homme.

Received Ambre Gris and Monsieur Balmain today. The bottle is stunning. The scent is equally so, but quite complex. It will take me a few wearings to get my head around it. Does anyone get a distinct coconut smell from this? Others seems to have perceived this as 'peanut brittle' or 'marshmallow'. There's also something in the opening that reminds me of Arpege PH but without the sharpness. Maybe that's what Asha described as 'hairspray'. Definitely wearable by men, for those who are concerned by such things. I'd put it at about the same point on the Masc/Fem scale as Dior Homme.

It doesn't sound like it was 'love at first sniff' with this mate
    It seems it will take a bit of twisting for you to like this.....

I am still waiting for my bottle to arrive & I really wish I get along with it from the word go........

A friend of mine received a bottle in a swap for just a decant of tann roka. Now I know why! She said, "It smells like a ladies' perfume from the kiosk at the mall" and I tend to agree, nowhere near the thrill the bottle is.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    It doesn't sound like it was 'love at first sniff' with this mate
    It seems it will take a bit of twisting for you to like this.....

I am still waiting for my bottle to arrive & I really wish I get along with it from the word go........
    Definitely an 'odd one', gupts. I expected it to be much stronger and long lasting, being an EdP. Initially I was very cautious with the application because of that, but had to give myself a few extra spritzes half an hour later to boost it up a bit. Even so it fades quite rapidly. It opens with a fairly soft (to me) fruity, flowery effect. Then it's like a cloudy day when the sun breaks through giving you a whiff of the amber base. Then the clouds close again for a while. Eventually it's just the amber, a very nice but soft amber, that sits very close to the skin.

Took nearly two weeks to arrive from www.discountperfume.net.au, along with Monsieur Balmain. Now that's another story, if you like lemons...

"smoked, woody(intense), leather based scent with touch of incense"

It sounds somewhat like One Man Show. I got OMS a few weeks back and I can't believe how often I reach for it and how much I enjoy it (one spray only!). Have you tried OMS, Trufflehunter ?

Definitely an 'odd one', gupts. I expected it to be much stronger and long lasting, being an EdP. Initially I was very cautious with the application because of that, but had to give myself a few extra spritzes half an hour later to boost it up a bit. Even so it fades quite rapidly. It opens with a fairly soft (to me) fruity, flowery effect. Then it's like a cloudy day when the sun breaks through giving you a whiff of the amber base. Then the clouds close again for a while. Eventually it's just the amber, a very nice but soft amber, that sits very close to the skin.

Took nearly two weeks to arrive from www.discountperfume.net.au, along with Monsieur Balmain. Now that's another story, if you like lemons...
    Thnx for the update TruffleHunter !

i felt the magic is in its sillage. it was lingering on me thruout the day. my wife too uses it, and it stays very strong on her even after returing from work...and let me tell you, travelling in Bombay is a Grind in itself. i;d say give it some time, and it will grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    "smoked, woody(intense), leather based scent with touch of incense"

It sounds somewhat like One Man Show. I got OMS a few weeks back and I can't believe how often I reach for it and how much I enjoy it (one spray only!). Have you tried OMS, Trufflehunter ?
    well Biglsy, they dont smell even remotely close. also, dont you think OMS and Vistory League is the solution to all the frgrances out there

Blog Entries

Since my first post regarding Ambre Gris I see the price slowly increasing. I don't know if that is because more people are discovering it and purchases are up or just the strange economy but, I am buying a couple more bottles while the getting is good. I have two now. Just think ten bottles of this or one liter would cost you about $280.00. Not bad for quality fragrance. Hummmm should I?