Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

I just saw 8 or 9 bottles of the 75ml EDP on sale at David Jones' Southland store, going for A$69 (US$44) each.

I don't know whether this is a good price or not, and I don't even know what it smells like - as they had no testers.

There wasn't even any point buying one blind for my wife - she starts sneezing uncontrollably around strongish amber scents.
    Renato

Now that I think of it, I should try one spray of BeR above one spray of One Man Show. This might create the kind of frag I would prefer AG to be. Problem is, I don't really like that sharp, sweet lavender top to either BeR or AG, which is why I'd swap or sell my bottle of BeR if I got a good offer.

I just noticed it's in the BN directory now, so head on over there and write up your review (I just did) !

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to bump this thread back up, because I'm teetering on the edge of purchasing it, and even though I get the whole "wear what you want" theory, when I wear Ambre Gris, I'm so befuddled, trying to figure out if what I'm smelling is feminine or masculine, because it continues to shapeshift from side to side. It seems to be, for the most part, the same group of members that sing AG's praise, I'm wondering what the boards opinions are now?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 8th November 2009 at 01:05 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'd like to bump this thread back up, because I'm teetering on the edge of purchasing it, and even though I get the whole "where what you want" theory, when I wear Ambre Gris, I'm so befuddled, trying to figure out if what I'm smelling is feminine or masculine, because it continues to shapeshift from side to side. It seems to be, for the most part, the same group of members that sing AG's praise, I'm wondering what the boards opinions are now?
    I agree, it's a 'shapeshifter' and that is one of the things I love about it. This is a very complex and brilliantly constructed fragrance that never ceases to surprise. The notes constantly weave in and out of each other in the most intriguing way. Is it feminine, masculine or 'unisex'? Who knows? I'm beyond caring. It's too fascinating to matter.
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 8th November 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Still love it. It's one of a handful that are big complement getters, too.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

If I didn't know about other, similar frags I might like this one. However, I prefer Etro's amber frag as well as Belle en Rykiel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Balmain Ambre Gris (lovely scent, boring review)

I see my second love is up for discussion yet again. Balmain's Ambre Gris is simply unappreciated by the masses until brought up in conversation when those who secretly own it begin to admit their use of it and the layering potential it has with other fragrances like Encre Noir. If you get a bottle you don't have to tell anyone. Just enjoy it. As to how unisex it is, I wear it with complete confidence. This fragrance is a jewel of niche quality that nearly got swept under the rug because it was made by a designer. I bought this fragrance is depth and have enough for a lifteime. IMO it is one of Balmain's best efforts and earns the coveted four Tesla star rating. ****.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 8th November 2009 at 03:04 AM.