Code of Conduct

Smile London trip-recommendations?

I am off to London next week to see an opera (Die Tote Stadte) and will be staying near the British Museum.

We will have one afternoon of gentle shopping and I was thinking of SpaceNK (can get a voucher if I spend X...) and I wondered about trying to go to Ormonde Jayne, Penhaligons or Floris.

Has anyone been to any of these shops or has anyone any recommendations of somewhere NOT to be missed?

Suggestions or experiences welcomed.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: London trip-recommendations?

Roja Dove at Harrods, Knightsbridge for a wondeful perfume experience. Liberty's off Regent's Street.
    Have a wonderful holiday !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Great! I stay near the BM when I am lucky enough to be in London. It is a pleasant walk down to Piccadilly from there, and then you are near to wonderful Jermyn Street (Trumper, Floris, Czech & Speake) and Penhaligons in the Burlington Arcade. D. R. Harris is nearby too. Can't go wrong visiting Fortnum & Mason and having lunch there, IMO.
    Lucky you!!!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

If you'll be at the British Museum, check out the gift shop for Scents of Time.

Basenotes Institution

The Wolsey Restaurant , on Green Park ,next to The Ritz and near Fortnum's is a great place for lunch - good british food and great desserts but book early. Matsuri Japanese restaurant is also great- it's on Bury Street ,off Piccadilly, I believe. Perfume and food - a great combination !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd January 2009 at 02:42 AM. Reason: spelling !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Just popping this here just in case you didn't check the forum with country advice; I made a London perfumery map that might be of some help in plotting your journey. Depending on what you're into, as well as perfumeries, you might enjoy Victoria and Albert museum (it's particularly great for people who are interested in design, costumes, fashion history and even jewellery - they have the most breath taking jewellery exhibit that includes antique perfume pomanders). The museum is so big that you can't see it in one day, so you need to pick the departments you'd like to see

Ooh, Nukapai, that's an excellent guide you made. Please post it to the City Shopping forum too! You did, obviously. I really should learn to check before I open my mouth.
    And you've inspired me to make my own version. If nothing else, it's a very convenient way of listing for myself.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 22nd January 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Yeah, I saw the map, it is brilliant, really handy.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Wolsey Restaurant , on Green Park ,next to The Ritz and near Fortnum's is a great place for lunch
    If you are in that neck of the woods, Fortnum & Mason are selling off all their Bond no.9 half price (or at least they were when I popped in yesterday to buy their last bottle of New Haarlem). Apparently they are no longer stocking the range, so bargains to be had. It's also well worth seeing as juts a gorgeous store in its own right.

Harrods superb Perfume Hall has already been mentioned but Selfridges' is also a Must See in my opinion.

PS: They were very friendly in Ormonde Jayne the other week and gave me a sample of Ormonde Woman. Recommended for a visit.
    Last edited by Promethea; 22nd January 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Space NK products are super-yummy, and very nice quality. Definitely worth checking out, not sure about discounts though. They usually are generous with freebies when on-line ordering, hopefully more so with in-store purchases.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source