Code of Conduct

Default Just recieved 5 SL samples

3 or so months ago I started my obsession with fragrance, but for the last month or so (after a bad blind buy of Guerlain Vetiver, and a lot of let down with Montale and FM samples) I have been loosing faith in my endeavors.

Today, my SL samples have arrived and I am reinvigorated. They include Chergui, Gris Clair, OV, Diam Blonde, and Douce Amare. I actually just got them with the intention of just seeing what all of the fuss is about. I didn't expect to like them at all based on the general consensus that they were all weird and unorthodox. They are all very unorthodox, but as diferent as all of them are, they are equally awesome. I am super exited.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just recieved 5 SL samples

Quote Originally Posted by edelzwicker View Post
    3 or so months ago I started my obsession with fragrance, but for the last month or so (after a bad blind buy of Guerlain Vetiver, and a lot of let down with Montale and FM samples) I have been loosing faith in my endeavors.

Today, my SL samples have arrived and I am reinvigorated. They include Chergui, Gris Clair, OV, Diam Blonde, and Douce Amare. I actually just got them with the intention of just seeing what all of the fuss is about. I didn't expect to like them at all based on the general consensus that they were all weird and unorthodox. They are all very unorthodox, but as diferent as all of them are, they are equally awesome. I am super exited.
    i'm glad your faith has been re-invigorated.....and now i hope (for your sake) that your wallet is well invigorated as well

If you ever get a chance to test it out, many claim that Chergui is very similar to Rykiel Woman Not Man EdP. I haven't tried either one yet.

OV? Do you mean VO?
    Last edited by ajmc; 22nd January 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    OV? Do you mean VO?
    Si, lo siento.

Quote Originally Posted by edelzwicker View Post
    ...They are all very unorthodox, but as diferent as all of them are, they are equally awesome. I am super exited.
    I envy you. I've tried just about every SL in their export line and not one of them appeared wearable for me. I've put all my samples away and will let them sit for a few months until I try again...

SL is very hit or miss with me, some are truly amazing, and others totally gross me out. As a line, many are very sweet, rich, and thick. Sometimes this works great (Vetiver Oriental), and sometimes it's too much (Miel du Bois, Arabie). I've been poking around with the non-export line here and there, and I'd really like to try Sarassins, El Attarine, and La Myrrhe. I got a sample or Rahat Loukhom today, and while it's great it's not significantly different then other Loukhoms (i.e. Keiko M.) or even Montale Sweet Oriental Dream or Mukhallat.

I recommend people check out Borneo 1834 if they like patchouli. It's a limited-time export in the US.

Sur la Plage

Let us know what you think after you sample them.

I agree that they are hit or miss. Sometimes they work (Arabie) and sometimes they don't (Vetiver Oriental).

I would suggest trying Ambre Sultan and Fumerie Turque also.

Happy sampling!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Let us know what you think after you sample them.

I agree that they are hit or miss. Sometimes they work (Arabie) and sometimes they don't (Vetiver Oriental).

I would suggest trying Ambre Sultan and Fumerie Turque also.

Happy sampling!
    I agree...Also maybe try Musc Koublai Khan.

The problem with this board is that you will invariably get a recommendation for and against every fragrance in a line.

In response to a side issue - you mentioned you've been collecting for 3 months and a one bad blind buy and 'let down' with Montale and Malle caused you to 'lose faith'. Collecting can really be a crapshoot, and as your tastes evolve thing you used to hate you'll end up liking, and vice versa. Don't get discouraged because there are literally more houses and fragrances out there than one human will ever be able to seek out and try. Disappointment with a couple houses should only encourage you to try something else!

As per the last three posts.

1. All have been great for me so far, with the exception of Douce Amare. The first 10 minutes of all of them are overwhelming, but settle in nicely thereafter.

2. I thought about Musc Koublai Khan, but the grief of getting a bottle seems ridiculous.

3. Definitely. I feel the same way, but I am still struggling with my passion for adventure and the original purpose. To smell good. I want to gain the depth and understanding of the art and still keep those around me on board as well.
    Last edited by edelzwicker; 22nd January 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Smile Re: Just recieved 5 SL samples

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I envy you. I've tried just about every SL in their export line and not one of them appeared wearable for me. I've put all my samples away and will let them sit for a few months until I try again...
    Oh, don't be a coward, live a little...

I am quite puzzled with Douce Amere. What I smell has nothing to do with what most people report. To me it is baby breath. Almond, condensed milk and icing sugar. Feels like a cashmere sweater. Datura Noir is all that plus a flioral basenot. A pink cashmere sweater.

I was "let down" by Montale and FM as well. ... Two houses is nothing -- so don't lose faith.

Let me echo the comments about letting past disappointments color future sampling.
    You just need to keep trying things and eventually you will know which combination of notes is right for you.
    The hazard of any thread on a house like Serge Lutens is every single scent has a pretty decent size group of people who like it and some who don't. You will hear from all of them through the course of your time at Basenotes.
    In the end you have to follow your own sensibilities and decide what is right for you. In my opinion that requires a lot of sniffing of strips and wearing of samples.
    I think the testing and trying is one of the most fun parts of this hobby, but that's me.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 22nd January 2009 at 02:02 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    The problem with this board is that you will invariably get a recommendation for and against every fragrance in a line.
    Too true! :bounce:

There's been times i've been disillusioned after a successive disappointments then revitalized when coming across a treasure. It's such a roller-coaster at times, isn't it?

I've found a few general accords that have proven themselves to be good indicators of whether or not I will like a fragrance. I aim for the favorable accords first when approaching a new house, then branch out of my comfort zone from there. That or I jump straight into the "legendary" scents but with less success.

i am in kinda the same boat as you.....i bought guerlain vetiver blind too and dont really like it. last week i also got 5 lutens samples.....they are pretty good....i am waiting to get a couple more to decide which one is bottle worthy......my first montale i just ordered blind bois vanille.....it better be good