Code of Conduct

Default Love XXV's incense but not so much the ISO E Super drydown...

Oudh, myrrh, and opopanax, this combination is absolutely magical. Amouage Jubilation XXV is intoxicatingly beatiful in its opening notes and the seamless evolution of the incense theme is spectacular. However, now that I know what Iso E Super smells like, it's strong presence in XXV's drydown distracts me from enjoying the notes I love.

What other fragrances, if any, can be likened to XXV's masterful use of incense? I couldn't get to like the CdG Incense series much and L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer left me emotionally disengaged (now that I think of it, some of these use generous amounts of Iso E Super, Kyoto and PdE certainly smell like they do...) I would be looking for something as soft, naturally smelling and well blended as XXV (sans the dreaded "Cyclomene E-Woody amber"), incense without harshness and monothematic overload, something that doesn't invoke dark visions of Gothic cathedrals and cold stone walls... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: Love XXV's incense but not so much the ISO E Super drydown...

Hi Igor,

Jubilation XXV has become my favorite scent , and to be quite honest I do not know what ISO E Super is, so the good thing is not knowing what it is, doesn't bother me. I guess the phrase what you do not know cannot kill you or something along those lines LOL

Good to know. I have no interest whatsoever in ever delving into fragrances beyond simply enjoying what smells good on me and others so, note to self - "Don't sniff raw chemicals used in fragrances."

Check the reviews of Jubilation and do a search in this forum. I recall at least one fragrance that has been compared favorably to it other than the ones you mention but I can't remember the name.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 22nd January 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Black Sea by M. Micaleff.

Better composition, better longevity and silage and last but not least, cheaper too.

Cheers!

[edit] but note, it's not the 'same' as Jubilation, just a much better incense scent, imo.
    Last edited by Domingo; 22nd January 2009 at 04:25 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Black Sea by M. Micaleff.

Better composition, better longevity and silage and last but not least, cheaper too.

Cheers!

[edit] but note, it's not the 'same' as Jubilation, just a much better incense scent, imo.
    Completely agreed.

I think Miller Et Bertaux Spiritus/Land #2 would fit your requirements too.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Completely agreed.

I think Miller Et Bertaux Spiritus/Land #2 would fit your requirements too.
    That's a good one too!

He can buy both for the price of a bottle of Jubilation, lol.

If you like XXV, try L'Artisan Aedes de Venustas (the fragrance made by L'artisan for Aedes), which is by the same perfumer and also an incense fragrance. Likewise with Timbuktu, which is quite a bit lighter. Another Iso E Super spicy fragrance is Hermes Poivre Samarcande, which is gorgeous in its simplicity, but apparently has a high % of I-E-S. Of course Escentric Molecules Escentric 01 is 'the' I-E-S incense fragrance. I have it, I like it, but it's a tad boring. For an entirely different incense experience, I love L'Occitane Eau des Baux. Smooth, inexpensive, and lasts forever.

Luckily I don't mind Iso E Super the way some people seem to, in fact I generally like the 'light' and smooth feel it brings to fragrances when properly used. There are plenty of fragrances where it's used as a shortcut rather than a tool, and then it's just annoying.

Getting back to XXV, I think it's pretty good but it's not my thing and my bottle's on the trading block. I'm very glad that I only had to spend $50 to check it out (obviously I wouldn't have bought blind at retail). I'm curious if all the people who swear by XXV do so because it's the highest-end and highest-quality fragrance they own (thus one of the best they've experienced) or if they do so based on comparison with a number of other like fragrances. I recently tried Amouage Lyric Men and it blew me away... that is some great sheeeat. I'd trade my XXV for 10ml of Lyric Men (which is financially about even)

Thanks guys, I've tried Timbuktu and another of Duchaufour's spicy incensy creation - Baume du Doge, but both left me cold...

Would anybody be kind enough to sell me some samples of Black Sea, Spiritus/Land #2 and the new Aedes L'Artisan? These are all but impossible to find here in Canada, TPC doesn't ship here and LuckyScent charges an arm and a leg for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    LuckyScent charges an arm and a leg for shipping.
    ???

I can't imagine it costs more than shipping to Europe, which is only $5,- for a bunch of samples. Therefore I think you only looked at their shipping rates for full bottles, which is indeed rather expensive.

You could try to select a number of samples and proceed to checkout, there you can see exactly how much it will cost you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Domingo; 23rd January 2009 at 04:19 AM.

Samples are a flat rate of $3.95 for shipping from LS. Their bottle rates are totally reasonable and free over $75, which is most of the bottles they carry.

Indeed, I was confusing LS's bottle shipping rates ($20 to Canada) to be the general shipping rate for Canadian orders, turns out it's only $5. Thanks for pointing that out!

If anybody has any more suggestions for frankincense frags I should sample in addition to the ones mentioned above, please feel free to post them!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I recently tried Amouage Lyric Men and it blew me away... that is some great sheeeat. I'd trade my XXV for 10ml of Lyric Men (which is financially about even)
    Sorry, but from my limited english I don't clearly see your real opinion, regarding the s... word you used