Code of Conduct

Default Knize Ten after a couple of weeks

This is tricky pony.
    I hate to love it , or I love to hate it.
    Dirty, loud, tar,manly, headache inducer, strange, dry, weir, likable and also repulsive.
    I got two comments so far:
    "You smell like some sort of fuel or lube"
    "The perfume you are wearing is very strong and smells funny,what is it?"
    Both were neutral comments but, to be realistic more to the negative side.

I am still dont know if I like it or not. I almost killed my self the other day with an overdose , I sprayed it on me like 10 times (not people around). A cloud of bitterness and dryness stay around me for a good long time.Yet it was not enough to make up my mind and hate it for ever or love it for ever. It is always in between waters.

Nothing smells like it and I enjoy that. It is manly but not in the fashion of the 70,80 bombs, it is less prettier. There is nothing floral, or fruity or citric or sweet on it (at least to my nose) and that is very brave and that is what I was looking for.
    Now that I have experienced it , the total absent of prettiness in a fragrance, I think a sublet touch is always need it.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Knize Ten after a couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Back in the 1980's, when I was a 20 yo boy, I became addicted to wearing Jules when heading to parties. I recieved the same type of comnentary you mention by the girls around me. Always two or three would get reallly close to my neck in order to get a whiff of it, most of the time the comment would be "it is amazing, what is it?" It was the perfect excuse for a conversation. Thus, I had a love & hate relationship with Jules. I did not like it much at that time, but it had the perfect effect on girls.

Just to wrap up, Knize 10 is on my wish list...

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    ... although to me the most interesting leathers have it. I think the sort of crude oil note that is one aspect of birch tar (I think) is like a blue note in a Muddy Waters chord...
    That is precisely what I like of leather scents, even in perfumes for women.
    Last edited by Pollux; 22nd January 2009 at 11:43 AM.

What they say is perfectly true of Knize Ten, even more than of most leathers, although to me the most interesting leathers have it. I think the sort of crude oil note that is one aspect of birch tar (I think) is like a blue note in a Muddy Waters chord: it sounds off key because it is off key. But dissonance is the whole point, and as a musician you just lean into that sound until it makes sense. So the only response to such comments is "Yes, isn't it great?!"

shit, wrong thread.. sorry!
    Last edited by Amit; 22nd January 2009 at 01:17 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    What they say is perfectly true of Knize Ten, even more than of most leathers, although to me the most interesting leathers have it. I think the sort of crude oil note that is one aspect of birch tar (I think) is like a blue note in a Muddy Waters chord: it sounds off key because it is off key. But dissonance is the whole point, and as a musician you just lean into that sound until it makes sense. So the only response to such comments is "Yes, isn't it great?!"
    great analogy
    Last edited by nthny; 22nd January 2009 at 01:52 PM.

I just did an experiment. In one hand I sprayed Knize Ten and in the other MI.
    It feels like walking from a sauna into the snow, like trying salt and immediately sugar.

Basenotes Institution

Explain why you sprayed it on ten times?

This is one of those that requires a light hand ususally two sprays to the chest and one to the neck is all I apply and that lasts me all day. I usually apply six sprays, so for Knize Ten I use half of what I ususally use.
    10 sprays would be overwhelming on me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Explain why you sprayed it on ten times?
    Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    Now that is funny!

well I sprayed 10 times to see if I could get what is behind the Knize Ten mystery... sort to speaking. :-)
    Nah! I just felt like doing it to see how extreme and ugly things can get with overdoses

I still haven't gotten this one myself. I explained it in another tester thread but I think alot has to do with my definition of leather and the "sweet/perfumey" type quality(hard to explain) of Knize 10. I had tested this along side Dzing. Dzing's animal pelt feel is more what I envision leather as being. Someone explained that Knize 10 is more of a polished/perfumed leather. It gave me headaches everytime. This is going to sound crazy but I got my car washed the other day and got a more expensive package because I wanted the works..wax, etc. They had a scent you could spray in it..one was cherry and the other leather. Usually if it is car leather smell they will call it "new car smell." So I took leather because it was different than the new car smell. I really loved it because it reminded me of the leather of a shoe store or of a shoe box after you got new shoes. It is that suede shoe smell after having some cleaner on it that reminds me of leather...and is close to Dzing than anything I smelled with Knize 10. This headache inducing leather also includes Cuiron. So that polished/perfumed leather is not me.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 22nd January 2009 at 03:15 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Based on this thread I figured I'd see what 10 sprays of K-10 are like... admittedly I put a couple on my back and back of neck, and I spaced them out so I wasn't applying the same place with multiple sprays. I've been walking around in a giant cloud of rich leather all day, even with a shirt and sweater on. It's more sprays than I need, and I won't apply this much in the future, but I'm enjoying it.

I dont get anything sweet on it really, perfumey...hmm maybe that is the right word of what I smell.
    It is dry and bitter and perhaps also acid.. very dirty, it evokes black leather, dark places, tobacco ashes. I hate to say this but it has a "cheap" touch to it that prevents the class it has to shine. This should be called " evil contradiction"

I actually got a sample of Knize 10 last night, and here are my .02. I know I'm going to get burned for this by some members, but while it is good, I feel like this type of leather has been done better. My favorite leathe so far is Cuir Ottoman, and I feel there are quite a few similarities between K10 and CO, namely in the type of leather they portray, both being sort of a softish suede. Cuir Ottoman just seems smoother and one note that I actually don't like in K10 is the tar. The tar overpowers the soft suede, and while some dislike Cuir Ottoman because of how "sweet" it is, I find myself attracted to it for that very reason, it plays perfectly with the leather IMO.

I dont get anything sweet on it really, perfumey...hmm maybe that is the right word of what I smell.
    It is dry and bitter and perhaps also acid.. very dirty, it evokes black leather, dark places, tobacco ashes. I hate to say this but it has a "cheap" touch to it that prevents the class it has to shine. This should be called " evil contradiction"
    Perfumey is exactly how I have explained it but I keep mixing it as sweet/perfumey. Just not something I'm used to or liking in a leather.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

LMAO!!! yea yeah i've arrived! i'm here.....got it!

this is the greatest fragrance ever made. if you put on 10 sprays, then you're asking for trouble....even, i, who very generously applies Knize Ten------NEVER apply 10 sprays...usually 4 or 5 maximum....and on average...3 sprays is generally plenty (one to neck, 2 to wrists)

There is no 'perfumey' nature to it, as some others have pointed out...in my opinion. I will not deny that this stuff is STRONG...properly strong, but you have to adjust your methods of application with this in mind.

To me, i use this when i'm out in the city...when i'm at work...when i'm just hanging out with friends...it always smells great, no matter what the occasion---one of the most usable, beautiful leather scents ever! You just have to learn how to use it...

I tried Knize Ten at least 10 times, before i actually loved it. The first time i tried it....i HONESTLY hated it.....but as i started to understand it more and more...my appreciation grew to what it is now. It is an olfactory adventure.....i still find new things in it....
    Last edited by everso; 22nd January 2009 at 06:57 PM.

its a scent composed by the great - Francois Coty, in 1924.

is it potent? yes, it is. 4 sprays and i found it overwhelming. i cud try 6 max, tht too im talkin 2.5 ml decant sprayer, i dont even know how the original spritzer sprays.

now, since it is so mighty potent, it is bound ot have polar reactions. Knize Ten imho, is somethin way beyond couple of weeks...it has survived decades and we are still talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Based on this thread I figured I'd see what 10 sprays of K-10 are like... admittedly I put a couple on my back and back of neck, and I spaced them out so I wasn't applying the same place with multiple sprays. I've been walking around in a giant cloud of rich leather all day, even with a shirt and sweater on. It's more sprays than I need, and I won't apply this much in the future, but I'm enjoying it.
    Holy Knize Ten by Ten! I hope you're not in court today counselor the judge will charge you with olfactory assault.

bbBD you are the man!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I actually got a sample of Knize 10 last night, and here are my .02. I know I'm going to get burned for this by some members, but while it is good, I feel like this type of leather has been done better. My favorite leathe so far is Cuir Ottoman, and I feel there are quite a few similarities between K10 and CO, namely in the type of leather they portray, both being sort of a softish suede. Cuir Ottoman just seems smoother and one note that I actually don't like in K10 is the tar. The tar overpowers the soft suede, and while some dislike Cuir Ottoman because of how "sweet" it is, I find myself attracted to it for that very reason, it plays perfectly with the leather IMO.
    K10 was the inspiration for most of the leather fragrances available today...so not exactly fair to say "it's been done before".

I do agree that there are some excellent leathers on the market today, which is why I think you (the OP) should move on if it doesn't turn your crank. There are countless others to try, all with slight variation, so I'm sure you'll find what works best for you.

Some other suggestions (that happen to be my fav's);
    -Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange
    -Cuir Plein Fleur by Heeley
    -S-ex by S-Perfume

union1411, you are too funny man.

This is tricky pony.
    I hate to love it , or I love to hate it.
    Dirty, loud, tar,manly, headache inducer, strange, dry, weir, likable and also repulsive.
    I got two comments so far:
    "You smell like some sort of fuel or lube"
    Both were neutral comments but, to be realistic more to the negative side.

I am still dont know if I like it or not. I almost killed my self the other day with an overdose , I sprayed it on me like 10 times (not people around).
    10 sprays is just irresponsible and crazy.

^Alot of times, one really doesn't fully understand all the detail and depth, UNTIL one sprays on way too much, and checks in every so many hours for 24-36 hours, even smelling for what stuck around after a shower, if the application is on skin.

I once applied at least 20 sprays of Kouros, just to get to the absolute heart of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I once applied at least 20 sprays of Kouros, just to get to the absolute heart of it.
    our father..who art in heaven..hallowed be ...

^Alot of times, one really doesn't fully understand all the detail and depth, UNTIL one sprays on way too much, and checks in every so many hours for 24-36 hours, even smelling for what stuck around after a shower, if the application is on skin.

Good lord what's next?
    Someone who's applied 30 sprays of A*Men?

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    K10 was the inspiration for most of the leather fragrances available today...so not exactly fair to say "it's been done before".

I do agree that there are some excellent leathers on the market today, which is why I think you (the OP) should move on if it doesn't turn your crank. There are countless others to try, all with slight variation, so I'm sure you'll find what works best for you.

Some other suggestions (that happen to be my fav's);
    -Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange
    -Cuir Plein Fleur by Heeley
    -S-ex by S-Perfume
    Oh no, I wasn't implying that it had been done before. More so, that I feel it had been done "better". Again, as I stated, I see the beauty and recognize its place in history, but for me, I feel that Cuir Ottoman, is an easier to wear, and frankly better smelling, variation on a theme.

Edit: I wasn't the OP either.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 22nd January 2009 at 09:09 PM.

Tales of a survivor ...

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    our father..who art in heaven..hallowed be ...

Blog Entries

one day...i'm gonna buy a full bottle of Knize Ten, a 125ml bottle....and SPRAY THE WHOLE BOTTLE ON ME.......at once. how many sprays? 400? 500? yep. gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with that. I have both bottles and prefer Cuir Ottoman to Knize 10 for no other reason than the slight sweet touch of CO. I wore this last night as my SOTE and was blown away by how beautiful it smelled. Knize 10 is a bit too dry and acrid for me but I still like it, but don't love it. It's too "true" a leather, and I don't like smelling like a couch or a jacket, no matter how well its hide is tanned. Don't get me started on In Leather by Aigner...another one that rings a bit too "true." But Cuir Ottoman and Chanel's Cuir de Russie mix up their leather with more pleasant and agreeable notes.

(insert sound of distant ambulance sirens here)

-

my bottle arrives in a few days. i hope i like it. (blind buy, but what choice do i have; edit: oh now i see that PC has samples of it; ugh)

i like tobacco and leather scents, but not all, and i definitely do not like the smell of oil/petrol

i like: Cuir Ottoman, Tuscan Leather, Chergui

hate: Tobacco Toscano, Tabaróme Millésime, Farenheit, Nostalgia

so, i guess i'll find out in a few days. have high hopes
    Last edited by union1411; 23rd January 2009 at 03:46 AM.

Blog Entries

my bottle arrives in a few days. i hope i like it. (blind buy, but what choice do i have; edit: oh now i see that PC has samples of it; ugh)

i like tobacco and leather scents, but not all, and i definitely do not like the smell of oil/petrol

i like: Cuir Ottoman, Tuscan Leather, Chergui.

hate: Tobacco Toscano, Tabaróme Millésime, Farenheit

so, i guess i'll find out in a few days. have high hopes
    ooooooooo. i have a feeling you'll like it. I consider Cuir Ottoman and Tuscan Leather to be 2 of the better 'modern' leather scents around.....in your 'hate' list, i only really like Fahrenheit....mainly because i have a love affair with gasoline notes....

Knize Ten doesn't really have oil/petrol/gasoline notes....so i think you're safe on that!

IF you don't' like it though....i'm right here in brooklyn. come find me in a shady alley, and i'll buy your bottle from you.....no one has to know!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    ooooooooo. i have a feeling you'll like it. I consider Cuir Ottoman and Tuscan Leather to be 2 of the better 'modern' leather scents around.....in your 'hate' list, i only really like Fahrenheit....mainly because i have a love affair with gasoline notes....

Knize Ten doesn't really have oil/petrol/gasoline notes....so i think you're safe on that!

IF you don't' like it though....i'm right here in brooklyn. come find me in a shady alley, and i'll buy your bottle from you.....no one has to know!
    I would suggest Bleecker Street to you as a huge upgrade over Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    1919 - Tabac Blond
    1924 - The Knize 10
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    "K10 . Spray 10 "

...perfect in a knigtowl kind of spirit!:brolly:
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd January 2009 at 07:21 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

actually that is how I felt, like in that picture. The shirt I was wearing still smells very strong and that is no trace of ... sweet, floral,citrus,nothing, nil, nadam, just pure dryness and roughness

Oh yes, it hangs in your clothes and by just a single wave of 1% in 99% fresh air it may remind you of having worn that sweater or shirt two weeks ago....
    Basteri, I recommend you take a long vacation from K10 once you're through with every detail of testing it. Then start anew with just one spray on one of your arms for the first day. This warrants a slower approach. See if you don't smell the top and middle notes during the first 30 to 60 minutes at least. These notes appear to be fruity to some, more floral to others. The smell of carnations is of course spicy and floral at the same time. It's hidden in between other floral notes of TKN. In Tabac Original they emphasized floral notes to a point where it's hard to detect the leather. The Knize Ten just has the right minimum of sweetness and flowers mixed in: Tabac Blond pour Hmme !
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd January 2009 at 08:55 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Oh yes, it hangs in your clothes and by just a single wave of 1% in 99% fresh air it may remind you of having worn that sweater or shirt two weeks ago....
    Basteri, I recommend you take a long vacation from K10 once you're through with every detail of testing it. Then start anew with just one spray on one of your arms for the first day. This warrants a slower approach. See if you don't smell the top and middle notes during the first 30 to 60 minutes at least. These notes appear to be fruity to some, more floral to others. The smell of carnations is of course spicy and floral at the same time. It's hidden in between other floral notes of TKN. In Tabac Original they emphasized floral notes to a point where it's hard to detect the leather. The Knize Ten just has the right minimum of sweetness and flowers mixed in: Tabac Blond pour Hmme !
    Indeed on me K10 gets the same floral vibe I have with tabac blond: carnation (not clove) and powdery "irisness" after an initial burst of fresher bitter citrus notes and then it slowly reveals its soft and warm leather treasure. I wore it (not 10 spays, just 3-4 ) to a date a week ago and had lets say many compliments

"You too, my friend?"

No pun intended, just curious about the new trend in juvenile avatars ?

Knize Ten for a date? that is very brave. I happen to have a date on saturday and I was wondering what to wear, Knize Ten was not even in my top ten list for the occasion. You are a brave man :-)

No risk, no glory someone said nah?
    just apply light, no more that 3 spritz, specially if projection is great on you (it really depends on your own skin chem) and I'm sure it will fit perfectly if you feel the scent itself is "you".
    Narcus... haha... yep, me too, I really needed to change my avi after such long time and was quite funny to try to make it as much similar as possible to the real Mag
    I'd be really curious to see yours too

I love Knize Ten. It's been my single favorite fragrance for several months now.

But it took me a while to come around to it. The first time I wore my sample it seemed acrid and unpleasant. My second experience was worse. I then put my sample away for several months.

What turned me around on it was a non-perfume related leather experience. I was in Marrakesh, Morocco, and visited a bunch of leather sellers in the souk. The smell in those stores was wonderful and familiar. Knize Ten! When I returned home I returned to my sample and started coming around to the fragrance. Before I was done with the sample, I had ordered a bottle.

Incidentally, it also took me awhile to appreciate Cuir Ottoman, which I agree is one of the great contemporary leather perfumes. But in the case of CO (which I tried before K10, fwiw), my initial impression was that it was too powdery.

Fernando, you are really in love with Knize ten, aren't you??
    let say love with a big obsession.

I am not sure Mo... the ying yang, black and white, love and hate... this is a difficult one :-)

Ok.....where can one get Knize ten from? I would like to give this one a try alongwith another basenoter in Australia, who's expressed interest too......