Code of Conduct
    auburnette

Default Looking for niche recs, similar 'feel' to NR for her

Hello lovely BNers,

Narciso Rodriguez for her may well be my holy grail. It's the only scent which I feel works at any occasion, at any time, anywhere. Each time I wear it I'm slightly overwhelmed by how much I love it.

BUT its popularity is kind of spoiling this scent for me. When I first started to wear it, I rarely smelt anyone else with it on (and if I did, it was kind of nice...we were in the same NR-loving club). Now, it's everywhere. I smell it at least three or four times a week when I'm travelling to work, and it's starting to get to me a little I will still love NR even if everyone and their dog is wearing it, but I feel like I need a scent which presses the same buttons yet isn't everywhere! I need a scent to escape to, in a way. So I'm hoping you can help me find one

What I like about NR for her is the musky-woods drydown with creaminess floating over the top - I'm not so struck by the topnotes and much prefer it once it's had time to warm up a little. Can anyone recommend anything (either niche, or fairly uncommon) which is in the same direction?

Default Re: Looking for niche recs, similar 'feel' to NR for her

It could also be Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely--it has some very striking similarities to NR for Her.

One fragrance which I think is in the same spirit, and to my nose has some similar notes, is Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain.

Apart from Lovely, which Asha already mentioned, for me DSQUARED She Wood and EL Sensuous are broadly in the same direction, without being quite alike. She Wood has a citrus opening and a bit of a baby lotion drydown, Sensuous has a honeyed note, but those three share a similar vibe to me - and I have worn all four at once to check out this very point, ie including NR for Her.

They are all chilly woodsy scents, and I can't think offhand of a niche fragrance that is similar.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

auburnette

Awesome! Thanks for those recs. I had been eyeing the She Wood with interest based on its notes, so it's interesting that you think it's one to try, VM.

Asha - I'm not sure if I'm interpreting you correctly, were you suggesting that it might be Lovely which is upsetting my morning commute and not someone wearing NR for her? That would be very interesting if so...I haven't smelt Lovely although I would probably like it, because all the reviews I've read suggest that NR for her is slightly superior. I may go sniff it now to be sure. I'll definitely seek out the Tauer scent too, again based on notes it sounds like something I would like.

auburnette, yes, I was thinking that you might be smelling Lovely, or perhaps a combination of Lovely and NR wearers. Both are very popular, and Lovely is now available at a discount which would make it even more attainable than it used to be. Of course, it is worth a sniff, even if only for reference!

I recommended the Tauer because it is a bit more unique.
    Last edited by Asha; 23rd January 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Some think Gucci by Gucci has the same feel and likeness to both Lovely and NR, even though there's quite a lot of patchouli in it and it's a "thick" scent.

I don't have NR, but have smelled it. I liked it a lot!
    I do have Lovely and Gucci by Gucci which I often layer, they are great together.

One way to slightly alter your NR might be to use it with Lovely-bodylotion or
    Gucci by Gucci -bodylotion. Or just layering the scents.

Hi auburnette! I suggest you try Juliette Has a Gun's Lady Vengeance. To my nose, it's definitely in the same vein as NR. Actually, it's also the same perfumer, Francis Kurkdjian.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 23rd January 2009 at 07:45 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Oh, yes, Lovely, and Lady Vengeance, and (although I think it smells cheaper) Gucci, all have the same vibe. And I agree, it is more likely that you are smelling Lovely on the train, because it is much more available in stores.

If you want to smell a bolder variety of Pink Chypre, try Agent Provocateur. If that is too strong, but you still like the patchouli and rose, try Les Parfums de Rosine Une Folie de Rose. If you want to move away from the earthy florals to a more elegant, conservative approach, try Chanel 31 Rue Cambon.

Blog Entries

This may sound a bit off track, but try Eau D'Italie Paestum Rose different spices but rosey. Very uncommon.

Honestly?

Forget about the popularity. Just enjoy NR for her! You might want to find something to alter it with from the suggestions above, stash away a bottle or two of NR and when its uber-popularity wanes, you can dig it out and not smell like everyone on the train. (I wish people on my train journeys smelled like that... I tend to encounter cheap deodorants, Burger King and Red Door).

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Honestly?

Forget about the popularity. Just enjoy NR for her! You might want to find something to alter it with from the suggestions above, stash away a bottle or two of NR and when its uber-popularity wanes, you can dig it out and not smell like everyone on the train. (I wish people on my train journeys smelled like that... I tend to encounter cheap deodorants, Burger King and Red Door).
    I absolutely agrkee with Nukapai!! Just wear what YOU love... no matter what others think. Another similar juice would be Midnight Poison, seconding SJP Lovely and also Gucci by Gucci, btw.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

auburnette

These recs are really great! I sniffed Lovely for reference and it is very similar, so quite possibly what I'm smelling...in fact it was too similar for me to consider purchasing!

So far I've tried EL Sensuous and love it - it definitely has the same 'feel' as NR for her to my nose, I only have 10ml at the moment but will probably get more, perhaps even the extrait if it's actually available. I could stand to have more scents like this, will definitely be seeking out the She Wood now...perhaps I have found a family of HGs

lillie, that is odd that you suggest Midnight Poison - I've had it in the past and can't remember it being similar, but clearly it appealed to me!

I'm placing a big sample order at TPC on Friday so I will get to try some more of these scents out

I just had the chance to test another one which is downright l-o-v-e-l-y
    It is called Lalibela and it's from the French house MEMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I've not tried NR for her so please take my req with a grain of salt... but your description of "musky-woods drydown with creaminess floating over the top" reminded me of Costume National 21: maybe not "musky" but definitely creamy woods... and very elegant. You can get a sample from luckyscent.

For "soft pink chipre" you could try Yves Rocher Un Jour se Leve (Comme une Evidence). It's bit "innocent" but lovely.

Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by kess; 17th February 2009 at 07:20 PM.

I just found a very surprising similarity in NR and Sisley Soir De Lune. Not in the beginning, not in the top notes. They start differently. But the drydown is amazingly similar. Soir De Lune is heavier and thicker though, so if that is a welcomed direction, it might work for you.
    Another similarity is that these two fragrances tend to smell "hot" on skin. Like if the perfume developed a warmth that is a few degrees higher than your body temperature. These two are the only two fragrances I've experienced that with.

Don't let the top notes of Soir De Lune scare you, just wait for a while...

You could try the Narciso musc for him.....its similar yet different, and I bet you a lot of people will not be wearing that.