Code of Conduct

Default Recommend a cologne for an adman friend...

Well, I was thinking about recommending a fragrance for a longtime friend of mine who works at a big well-known ad agency.

Here's some details about him:
    -He lives in NYC, so availability is not an issue... you have a bunch of places to buy cologne.
    -He wears cologne to work daily (just like us Basenoters) because he takes the subway to work. Once, he said to me "after all, it is stinky in the subway".
    -He tracks brands of all kinds to see which brands have momentum, which ones are doing so-so, and which ones are struggling. But, then again, so do many folks on Madison Avenue.
    -He goes to Asia. Often. So something heavy is not an option, given cultural preferences.
    -Unlike us Basenoters, his current scent rotation is between either Acqua di Gio or YSL L'Homme, both of which he picks up at one of the many NYC-area Sephora locations. And he likes those "a lot", so those could be good reference points.
    -He has a good sense of humor, but he also manages to be serious at the same time. He's definitely not like the type you see on the TV show "Mad Men".

Could you give me some suggestions?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 23rd January 2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Thumbs up Re: Recommend a cologne for an adman friend...

For sure DIPTYQUE 'S " l'eau des hesperides" , " l'eau de neroli" or " l'eau de l'eau ".
    They are all great scents, lond lasting and not overpowering...give them a try...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: Recommend a cologne for an adman friend...

Niche probably doesn't matter given the parameters.

Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    Dior Homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Allure Homme Sport

I'd suggest
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Caron pour Un Homme
    Caron Le 3me Homme
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

AromiErotici

Ricci Club Haute Concentration. Far superior longevity than Ricci Club, terrific scent that can be worn at any time,anywhere and does not impose itself on the wearer or bystanders.

I was actually going to recommend L'Homme until I read the op. It's perfect for a young professional.

I'll also throw out ...
    Prada Amber Pour Homme (expensive soap, sure to not offend)
    Hugh Parsons Blue (an aquatic that's all business)
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche (very classy, yet young)
    John Varvatos Artisan (very clean, a bit floral, perfect for a professional)
    Last edited by Royal; 23rd March 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta should suit him perfectly

these might work
    YSL Live Jazz
    Carven Homme
    Bvlgari Extreme
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Creed Millesime Imperia seems like it would be right up his alley! Plus when I was in Asia, alot of people loved it!

I disagree with Royal here, Prada Amber would work very well in those circles, before reverting to being a photographer I worked in the advertising industry and so am familiar with the environment.

Penhaligon's Castile might work very well, or maybe Opus 1870 which is very classy and not too shouty.

A good all round designer fragrance which is pretty much wearable anywhere is Zegna Intensa, great bottle, but more importantly a really nice smelling all rounder, daytime or evening.

And why not Ungaro III? Rich, opulent, long lasting but not oppressive - not too heavy either.

He might also enjoy Mont Blanc Homme Exceptionnel - I wore this last night and was really pleased with how a) expensive it smelled and b) how well it lasted. It's an uncommon fragrance but good. And while I'm on the subject of Mont Blanc, one of my old favourites Mont Blanc Presence might be worth a look. Different, sexy and classy and a damn sight better than that dog that is YSL L'Homme.

Or he might just settle for Gucci by Gucci. Classy smelling, distinctive and again a good all rounder.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I was the same guy with the same colognes (AdG and YSL L'homme) and my descent into fragrance fanaticism started with a strong application of burberry touch which I loved. I decided I waned a few other kinds of scents. Once I smelled guerlain vetiver, it was over and I was hooked. So I recommend Guerlain Vetiver and Burberry Touch.

I'll throw CdG Hinoki in the ring. Conservative and Avante Garde at the same time.

Try Chanel Allure Homme Sport! The EDT not the Cologne Sport. Someone from NYC can surely appreciate the beauty of a Chanel.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 24th March 2009 at 01:05 PM.

i would change it up between these two - GIT and Dirty english by JC
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I disagree with Royal here, Prada Amber would work very well in those circles, before reverting to being a photographer I worked in the advertising industry and so am familiar with the environment.
    So I'm guessing you mean that it'd be a good choice?

Prada Amber is truly great, I should track down a bottle sometime soon.

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta
    Hugh Parsons Blue
    Rive Gauche Light
    GIT
    Versace PH

Any light, fresh vetiver-citrus
    Original Vetiver
    GIT
    Selection Verte

Erolfa: Fresh ocean breeze, and surprisingly somewhat realistic
    Mugler Cologne
    : Citrusy, clean shower smell but with a naughty undertone

Both of which can be business like, not too serious and non-offending

You didn't mention whether he's a suit or a creative I've worked with the ad industry here for 25 years and concur with recommendations for GIT, Original Vetiver & AdP Colonia (and or Assoluta). Trust me, with 30c and 90 something % humidity these are bullet proof. Dior Homme also interesting option for this part of the world.