Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Cuir de Russie: a new day down the leather road

Okay, I really apologize for my initial post where I went on about "dung" and not tolerating the scent. But, perhaps, there is something to be learned from that post and this one. Here goes:

This morning I woke up, ran an 8 mile loop (my regular) in thick fog, and then showered and shaved. I never feel so clean as after hard exercise in cool weather followed by a warm shower. New as a baby. Anyway, I was reaching for L'Instant Pour Homme, thought better, picked up the Chanel bottle, sniffed it, got the astringent dung thing, and promptly hit myself with four spritzes.

And then a funny thing happened.

Within 5-10 minutes, the astringency wore off and the fragrance became increasingly, well, not exotic, but *different*, lovely, and elegant. I made breakfast, my wife woke up, we had that magical fifteen minutes before the kids wake up, and she nuzzled my neck and said that I smelled great. Well, I did! It was still odd and I still wasn't 100% sold, but I was astonished by my reaction -- and her reaction.

As the day wore on, it faded somewhat more quickly than I expected. Still, I have this very nice, close to the skin, *personal*, hint of a very clean leather that is a flower and that is also dirty...but not. It's an old smell, a smell that definitely stands out from the crowd, and it is now in my top 5, period, fragrances.

This doesn't mean that I will use it a lot. I won't. I think it is more for private occasions -- being with family, or just alone reading, having a glass of wine or Scotch -- and dressier times. Ideal for theater, because it is not overwhelming, it would complement the clothes, and feel right at home in an elegant restaurant. Also, hey, pretty good for a tee-shirt and shooting pool, why not, because sometimes you just have to be you.

That's it! If you're near a Chanel boutique, check it out. If not, buy a decant -- I'm sure they're around -- or, if you're into something kind of glamourous and that is easily worn by a man or woman, throw down the $200 and order up a bottle that will last ages.

Again, tomorrow to Milan with the kids, to see dino's and crystals, and then to Prada for No. 3, Cuir Ambre. Cost, 130 Euros. Ouch. Maybe I'll like it...

Default Re: Chanel Cuir de Russie: a new day down the leather road

Nice. This has been my experience time and again. What seems repulsive on first sniff has a way of growing on me. My initial response to a few of my favorites was near horror.

A few days ago I ordered a decant of this from the perfumed court, can't wait to get it in the mail!
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Blog Entries

got a bottle on the way in the mail...lookin forward to it.

The No.3 Cuir Ambre is worth the money.

Basenotes Institution

This is one of those classics I just can't feel the love for - it's the trademark Chanel aldehydes in this, which make it shrieking and nostril burning for me and the aldehydes never really fully go away.

You must have sprayed the EPD. I have the EDT and while it's quite good, its longetivity is a disappointment.

I love the parfum, and as of today, I now have it in my wardrobe

I agree with you, mike--I love Chanel in general, but sometimes the aldehydes are really too much. I felt that the EDT version of Bois des Iles was a major disappointment for this reason. The parfum is great, though.

The scent is fab but the sillage is moderate and the longevity is horrible. It's quite unisex but a bit more masculine. If only they'd release it in EdP strength. The parfum strength stays very close to the skin.