Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: NEW: John Varvatos Artisan.

I agree with you CologneJunkie....Tried it, bought it and love it. When I initially smelled it, Polo Sport came to my mind and yes it smells like some of my other juices as well. I tested Eternity Summer and Ck Summer and they were so boring that this one won out that day. The day I wore it I received some favourable comments and goodness knows if it will ever reach these shores. It will be part of my summer arsenal.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

I like the scent, but there are severe longevity issues with me... It goes on strong, but becomes a skin scent within 30 minutes and it more or less gone within two hours. The sad part is that summer hasn't even arrived... The heat will have its way with this scent...

I did a quick test of this and liked it quite a bit.

I'll definitely give it further attention in the near future.

It reminded me of a Trufitt and Hill fragrance. By that I mean it doesn't smell like a specific Trufitt and Hill fragrance, but it smells like it could have been made by them.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Artisan to me smells really beautiful and natural but I feel, in contrast to Varvatos' previous offerings, it is not masculine enough. It literally smells like orange tree blossoms and that's a traditionally feminine fragrance note.
    When the next guy here in Europe wears for example Azzaro pour homme this fragrance makes you smell like his girlfriend.
    What do you guys think on that?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by GreekJohn View Post
    Artisan to me smells really beautiful and natural but I feel, in contrast to Varvatos' previous offerings, it is not masculine enough. It literally smells like orange tree blossoms and that's a traditionally feminine fragrance note.
    When the next guy here in Europe wears for example Azzaro pour homme this fragrance makes you smell like his girlfriend.
    What do you guys think on that?
    1. Artisan is not the first masculine fragrance to feature a prominent note of orange blossom. Just smell Fleur de Male by Jean Paul Gaultier.
    2. I think if a guy likes it, he should wear it. Regardless of what other people think.
    3. I think Artisan is a horrible rendition of orange blossoms (very synthetic smelling). There's much better orange blossom fragrances out and Varvatos could have done better.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd July 2009 at 03:46 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Artisan seems to be getting a bad rap over its orange blossom. I'm wondering if we're confusing orange blossoms with the Murraya content. I haven't smelt Artisan yet, it's not available in Australia to my knowledge, but I know and love murraya paniculata. Sometimes called Mock Orange or Mexican Orange Blossom. I think Artisan contains both the flowers and the wood. The smell that wafts out when you prune the branches of a murraya bush is magnificent--a sharp, green citrus--and I've always wondered why it's never been used as a prominent note in fragrances. Now, apparently, it has. I'm really looking forward to sampling it to see how close it is.

I personally love Artisan, even submitted a review here (has yet to show up) about it.

The whole "synthetic" orange blossom scent - sorry, I actually grow blood oranges, meyer lemons and other citrus here at my home... and the smell is spot on when I'm actually pruning the tree right before the blossoms - or when I have to cull too many blooms.

It's a great scent, the die-down is NOTHING like the start of it - very woodsy and clean, it turns very intimate in the first 20-30 minutes, and then dies down rather quick to where you have to get somebody else to sniff it to make sure it's there... so longevity is a problem.

But it's a good scent. One I don't regret buying once bit.

I tried this a couple times at Nordstrom and I really like it. I will have to get it once I can get a better deal on it. Hopefully Amazon will have it available soon.

Tried this last night....and all the talk about similarities to Mugler Cologne are pretty much in step with how this frag came off to me.

On my skin there is very little discernable difference between Varvatos Artisan and Mugler Cologne. Sorry.....

tried and smelled like heaven (no, that was a lie, it smelled like sH**)

over rated with all that advertising picture and claims it smells like true nature of orange, etc....

the fact is..... to strangers around, mostly noobs w/ untrained nose, they'll response like you're weearing orange scented Raid. and no sH** , it is like Raid, but somehow with better sillage, now i know i didn't overpaid for this bottle, just because it looks nice and last with a sillage.

It amazed me how much it gagged me as much as other peoples around, especially those that hold dear to you that wanna find out what you are wearing, only to learn a lesson that they should never ever smell you again.

i think the bottle look nice too, i liked it, real original. well, don't you want a bottle for yourself too?