Default SotD Friday 23 January

Good morning!

Patricia de Nicolaï New York for me.

Have a fabulous Friday, all!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Friday 23 January

Montana Parfum d'Homme red box vintage

and

Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain (thanks supracuhz! )
    Last edited by Aiona; 23rd January 2009 at 06:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Chaya-- About four years ago I had some minor surgery and my BP similarly skyrocketed during the procedure (220 over something). For some months afterward I continued to check it and it stayed at about 150/90. Turns out I have hypertension (as does my mother, first diagnosed at about my age), and I may have had it for a while. I would never have known otherwise! So that's something to keep in mind. I hope your pain eases and the recovery is swift.

Congrats Haunani! Here's to the next 1000!

I haven't been around the SotD threads lately due to busy-ness and working on writing my first blog post here on BN (about my recent trip to The Perfumer's Apprentice). So I wanted to post to tomorrow's thread (tomorrow for me that is-- wait it's after midnight!) and say "Hi!" to everyone! I'm going to bed now in Passage d'Enfer thanks to a wonderful Basenoter. I LOVE this! I find the lily very wearable, more like lily of the valley than true lily on me. It doesn't have that overripe, heavy, sour quality that I get from some lily fragrances (and the flower itself, though I don't mind it in my home, just on my skin ). I smell gorgeous! I want to stay awake and keep sniffing myself. Oh well!

Happy Friday, everyone!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday 23 January

Pascal Morabito' s OR BLACK

( Jean - Louis Sieuzac )

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

TGIF!

Santa Maria Novella MUSCHIO ORO
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Idole de Lubin

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Canali Summer Night

L'heure bleue

TGIF Indeed.
    Dark Amber & Ginger Lily for the day. Just one application left in the tester...
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Plus

(((((Chaya))))) Continued get well vibes to you, honey.

Laura Biagiotti Roma

Take care, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Eau De L'Occitaine by L'Occitane (from a sample - thanks ComDiva)

Pepper & lavender. Bracing and perfect for an early a.m. boxing class. Grr!!

L'Ombre Fauve

Have a wonderful Friday

Love the blog post An Oud Girl!! Looks awesome! Love how the little ones are already creating fragrances!

Fidji in the morning. Love's True Bluish Light this evening.

auburnette

L'Instant.

Bois d'Iris

To all the wounded - good wishes for health & serenity.
    To all the missed birthdays - hope they were glorious.

Re-training our Community Policing Unit this morning in use of the real-time reporting system. Told their supervisor yesterday to have coffee waiting for me so I'd be in a better mood & he said no. He wants me p&$$%d, yelling, & screaming. Guess he's tired of being the only one - former professional standards investigator. Nice to know my reputation for dealing with incompetence & laziness is still intact. ; ^ )
    ************************************************** ****************************
    I truly believe that with a cape & the right tiara I could save the world.

Chaya every day get you one more closer to being able to do so much more than you could before the surgery. I can't wait to see you footloose and fancy free on the other side of recovery.

Enough with the bargain scents time to break out a new niche scent for me:

Divine L'Etre Aime Homme

L'Etre Aime Homme translates to The Beloved Man and Yvon Mouchel wanted to create a pair of scents centered around Immortelle and hopefully create a beloved scent. L'Etre Aime Homme is the latest in a number of recent scents I've tried to go for a close wearing spicy feel. This comes off as the antithesis of the old Orientals of the 90's which clobbered you over the head with projection and power. L'Etre Aime Homme is subtle and for all intents and purposes only meant to be beloved by the wearer. The top starts with bergamot and lavender, a traditional, almost generic beginning. Thankfully it takes a turn for the better pretty quickly as ginger and basil appear to add some spring to the step of this. It is here that the inspiration note of Immortelle begins to come in but it is a very light floral and it is almost immediately joined by cardamom which is an almost perfect transition from the zing of ginger to the soft spiciness of cardamom. The base starts to make its appearance as vetiver holds the edge that the spices have provided before. Vanilla and sandalwood come along to round this scent out and tie it off in a familiar combination. This is a beautifully done scent but if you want something that has projection beyond your personal space this is not that scent. This is instead the scent that only you can smell and allows you to have that knowing smile only a tuned-in colognoisseur should have.

Have a Fantastic Friday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

In the house with Tigs and in the family with Paula in
    Sacrebleu
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Good morning all.Today started with rather disturbing news about a shooting incident with both parts dead now. Aparantly a couple. These things hardly ever happens here,so it's quite disturbing when they do At the moment I'm finding comfort in my new cd of Echo and the bunnymen and my sotd,Crystal Noir.

Ineespenes - that does sound disturbing. But your cd (love Echo & The Bunnyment) and SotD will hopefully help bring you some peace of mind.

Chaya - still wishing you a full and speedy recovery. You'll be Mme Twinkletoes before you know it.

Wearing Y by Yves Saint Laurent this morning. It's supposed to be sunny and get up to 59F today. Yay! My doggie is going to get a looong walk today. TGIF!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 23rd January 2009 at 12:40 PM.

A big hug to all who are in pain or sorrow. I hope the weekend gives us all a well-deserved break. Today I'm wearing Coromandel, which is like a blanket of beauty.

Another sample from Miz Coconut (thanks Beautiful - you sure know how to get to a girl!) ....Fleur du Male...GUYS wear this??!!

Absolutely ravishing neroli over some flowers and cedary-but-mellow woods and spices with a hint of skank. (I luvluvluv coumarin....what is WRONG with me?)

Funny thing is - last night when I first spritzed it on? - it was much more floral and woodsy than this morning when the bitter orange is a lot more apparent. Chemistry!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Etro Messe de Minuit for the rest of the day.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I continue my love affair with Stephanie (Storer).

I'm also thrilled that my review virginity is finally lost. I see 15 of my reviews posted. Yipeee!!!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Today is MyQueen day
    Happy & Safe Friday to you all!
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Super crazy week!!!!

SotD - Satellite Padapr......howeveryouspellit

A decent incense frag.
    More details later.....maybe....if it stops being crazy......
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Escale à Portofino - Christian Dior

Talk about crazy - sat down to post my SotD, only to discover I have gone "naked" all day...

Well, after having pressed the submit button, I will head right to the cupboard in my bedroom, and give myself some sprays of...of... Kingdom!

Have an ab fab Friday, all! :bounce:

POTL A*maze. Notes include Henna, Saffron, Taif Rose from Saudi Arabia, Orange Blossom, Wardia Rose, Agarwood, Sandalwood, Musk, Civet.
    Btw...what is a Wardia Rose? Must google now.

The sun is shining here which makes me feel much more energetic and alive! Have a great weekend everyone.

Wearing Fleur d' Rochaille today, one of my husband's favorites. He noticed it right away which always makes me feel good.

Today it's the sweet cherry blossoms in Memoirs of a Geisha, inspired by Nukapai's thread on favorites that don't get a lot of face time!

The incredibly beautiful Shalimar for me today.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

SotD is the delicious Coromandel. I want to say it feels like the grown-up sister of Néonatura Cocoon. With the cocoa & patchouli, they're definitely related, in my mind.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Chaya, dear, feel better, accept pain medication, use fragrance. I am sorry for the worry and pain. Day by day.

I am wearing Sensuous, working at home today. I am preparing a paper for presentation at a conference and should have it polished off by tomorrow. Then I can relax and get excited over the trip itself. I'm going to Havana!!!!
    Today is our anniversary. We are going out to a wonderful dinner and are bringing a very precious bottle of wine with us. What should I wear? I am thinking of Le De Givenchy, Mitsouko, Rive Gauche. Don't ask about my husband's preferences; he dislikes all fragrance.

Wearing Tresor today...felt like reuniting with this one.

Therese: Happy Anniversary! I vote for the unique and precious Le De (vintage, of course). Good luck on your presentation too.

A shout out to Chaya: Thinking of you and hoping today is better than yesterday. Healing vibes...

Lian: You ok? Also thinking of you.

As for my SotD I'm kind of undecided and procrastinating getting on with my morning. It will probably be Dior Homme for grounding and focus at work.

Have a great day!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Will be heading out shortly. DH will be wearing Hindu Kush, I am emotionally stabilized in Nanadebary Green. I'm not nervous-nervous, just juiced up and ready to speechify.

You'll no doubt find this pathetic, but DH and I haven't traveled together in more than 15 years cuz there were always family members or pets who required care. Our 30-year wedding anniversary is Monday, so our trip upstate today is as romantic as these old geezers get nowadays. See ya on Sunday.

:wave: Hi, Nostalgie. I know what you smell like, I know what you smell like.

Enjoy that special wine, Therese!
    Last edited by Quarry; 23rd January 2009 at 04:54 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Good morning! I hope everyone is having a marvelous Friday.

Today in another Chanel, 31 Rue Cambon, thanks to asha. I'm trying to decide on a full bottle of Les Exclusifs. I know they're gi-normous but I love that, and they smell soooo gorgeous! It may be between this and Coromandel...

Whooa, so much work to complete before Chinese New Year holiday begins!
    Caron Narcisse Noir for today.
    Lady Tao, I think they should have used a woman torso for Fleur du Male instead. I like it very much and I have also converted one of my cousins too!

Sending the healing vibes to you Chaya!

I started out this morning wearing En Passant. After dropping the kids at school and doing morning errands on this rainy, gloomy day, En Passant felt like a lie.

Recently, Quarry, my darling enabler extraordinaire, sent me a sample of Hindu Kush. I liked it when I sniffed it, but I knew I had to have a certain atmosphere before I gave it a wear. (I has no idea what atmosphere would suit). Today is the day of the atmosphere. After showering I applied Hindu Kush. It's perfect for the day. As the sun slowly emerges, and birds are singing everywhere, I smell like a warm exotic forest in a secret desert locale. I'm going to try this on my husband a.s.a.p.

Quarry - good luck on your trip and Happy Anniversary!

Happy anniversary to the Quarries and Thereses.

Therese, sounds like a wonderful time out (I'm a wine geek as well as a fragrance geek--care to post your wine of the day? ). Also, how exciting about going to Havana!

Well, I've discovered Facebook. Like I needed another excuse to procrastinate online.

SotD: Caldey Island Lavender

SotE: Rochas Femme
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

L'Eau d'Hiver

A day to forget.

SotD: Nasomatto China White
    SotE: in need of something comforting....probably Tsukimi by Annayaké

Sending out good vibes to Chaya....get well soon! And a big hug to all those who need it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Artemisia for daytime then managed to squeeze out a teensy bit more of Frangipani from the sample vial! Back in April I posted that I was looking for something soft, powdery and preferably Italian but now I know that what I really had in mind was Frangipani which is not powdery and not Italian BUT is soft and does have a citrussy/vanilla sorbet aspect to it along with those delicious florals. I've found another Holy Grail and if anyone asks me what I'm wearing I am NOT going to tell them. My previously generous attitude about sharing frag preferences with anyone who asks has suddenly disappeared with the discovery of Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani Absolute!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

John Varvatos as SotD. Warming into the 50s F overnight and the 70s F during the day.
    Last edited by kbe; 23rd January 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Anniversary Quarry and Therese

Wearing J'Adore today

Happy Annies, Q and T's !!!!
    [Nice to have good things to observe, yes ?]

BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR GOOD VIBES !
    I do believe you've all gone and healed me...

Feeling waaaay better today- much less pain.

I'm craving roses.
    AL's Roses is really marvellous, in that it runs the gamut in its development.
    Begins citrusy, gets all spicy floral, then softens to mossy / resinous.
    [ALL of my favorite food groups, LOL.]
    OK- so, it's NOT Nahema- what is ?
    But I can go lavish with it.And it has a honeyed aspect.

Love to you all.

Lian, where are you ?
    Mousie ?
    Hope all are healing- inside and out.....

Chaya, so glad you're feeling better!

(((Lady in Black)))

Hmmm, the Caldey has gone a bit skunky on me today. I think I'm going to scrub and switch over to White Jasmine & Mint.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Citrus-leather fabness: Knize Ten.

Thank you, VM!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

The alphabet resumes!

Cuir Venenum by Parfumerie Generale. I normally like this one a lot (I have a bottle) but I'm discovering that it really doesn't work when I have a cold. I don't know what my nose is missing exactly, but the result is that what's usually a nice soft scent is really harsh.

Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Love the blog post An Oud Girl!! Looks awesome! Love how the little ones are already creating fragrances!

Fidji in the morning. Love's True Bluish Light this evening.
    Well, jillsy, I am scent twins with you on the Fidji! Who, knows I just may switch to LTBL and be your scent stalker this evening!

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Bond Fire Island today. I wanted a little bit of the beach on the middle of a cold and depressing January month. I did get TWO compliments today!

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, Chaya.
    Happy anniversaries to Quarry and Therese. Break a leg, Quarry. I know you will be great!

Hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Happy anniversary to the Quarrys and the Thereses

I'm in Samsara EDP (last of the sample) and it has gone on my wishlist. Hah. How different this is to the EDT. I get such a lovely creamy, woody floral.

Happy anniversary Quarry and Therese. So nice to have a special time with DH.

I am glad Chaya is feeling better.

I am wearing Eau de Patou today.

The site is so slow right now--I hope my posting doesn't timeout!

SotD today was Bois 1920 Sandalo e The, which is really owe homage to Shalimar, I think. The lemon, resins and vanilla with much less complexity make it warm and also a great anytime fragrance. It has turned into a daytime comfort scent for me.

SotE will be Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe.

Hugs and well wishes to everybody

Oh! Happy Anniversary, Quarry and Therese!!!!!!!

SOTE is L'Heure Bleue.

My head is pounding, my ears are popping but I am feeling relaxed in Aimez-Moi

Tried David Yurman from samples that the SA loaded me up on from my last purchase. I'm trying this one pre-(deep)-exfoliation. It smells ok. I may try it after my bath. I don't think I'll be getting a bottle of this.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com