Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Thursday 22 January

Good morning!

PotL Luctor et Emergo for me today.

Have a t'riffic Thursday, all!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Thursday 22 January

Look, ma! I went over 1,000 posts! I just started here in April, so this is a little embarrassing. But exciting, too. I'm having such a great time here! The people here are the BEST!!! :bounce:

I'm just going to bed. But I think I'm going to treat myself to a little DANS TES BRAS in the morning.

Yawn...(rubbing eyes)...good night!

miel de bois - serge lutens

Off to bed in Tocade. The more I wear this the more I love it!

I'm experimenting today by wearing Cabotine and Ivoire together!
    Both are green so it may work and the Cabotine might just breath
    a bit of warmth into the austere Ivoire.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 22 January

VETIVER by FLORIS of LONDON

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Ha, congrats Haunani!
    Jil Sander Sun today. I can pretend...
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Congratulation Haunani

You deserved a treat. (though I have no idea what DANS TES BRAS is?!? But hey, at least you made me learn something new today. I will check that name out soon as I finished posting this.)

My SotD is Stella McCartney Sheer (2004)

Andy Tauer : L'Air du Desert Marocain

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

Jean Louis Vermeil - Vermeil

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Black Currant, Galbanum
    Heart Notes: Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Freesia, Violet Leaves, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Coriander
    Base Notes: Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Oak Moss, Musk

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dreary weather outside, no further appointments today.. why not the notorious Miel de Bois
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Winter 1972, my favourite CB I Hate Perfume

auburnette

Guerlain - Apres L'Ondee (very fitting given the weather)

Basenotes Plus

Congrats, Haunani! Keep 'em coming.

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk

Happy Thursday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Congrats Haunani! The evidence is in - like the rest of us, you are truly obsessive!

Wearing Sacrebleu today , a blind buy of mine that I love by Parfums de Nicolai
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Congrats Haunani! :bounce: :bounce:

Yesterday wound up being crazy. I have a feeling that set the tone for the rest of the week.

Trying out PG's Felanilla.
    Damn unfortunate name.
    Decent scent - once you get past the wet cardboard open.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Congrats on 1,000 and your fifth star Haunani. That was quick you must really like us.

I'm continuing my unintentional week of inexpensive scents in:

Rochas Lui

I am a big fan of Rochas Man and am just now starting to try some of the other offerings from Rochas. First up is Michel Almairac's and Amandine Marie's, Rochas Lui. Lui starts off with the ubiquitous citrus note this time represented by neroli but what I like about this top is cedar is right there too. This is reminiscent of Gucci pour Homme but it isn't that deep cedar of pencil shavings. Lui presents a fresher cleaner cedar because of the presence of the neroli and because the neroli is more prominent. The top is also very intense for a top as the depth of the cedar makes for unexpected depth. I wish the top lasted longer because the heart feels so pedestrian on me there is a hint of sweet incense mixed with the cedar but as opposed to elevating the scent it feels like it has been geared down a notch. The base is a pretty nice mix of patchouli and vanilla which gets better over time. This is a scent which has its best moments at the beginning. This is an affordable good scent that I can easily recommend to those on a budget. There are better fragrances out there but you'll pay much more for them.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Patchoulissime by Keiko Mecheri

Congrats on the posts, Haunani.

Last night I sampled Dzing and Dzongkha. I wonder if I really like Iris. I thought I liked Iris Poudre when I tried it at the Barney's counter, but she thought the tester was En Passant. I didn't like either of the two (Dzing and Dzongkha.) It wasn't the dung/bandaid note that turned me off but the sweet smell below. I'm sad because I wanted to like them. I will try again in a few weeks.

I was going to try out the Merchant Loup sample and hope for the best, but that hazelnut somehow reminded me of what I didn't like about Dzing. So, it's L'eau De L'Artisan. It's pretty pretty pretty. Just what I was in the mood for - that and a second cup of coffee.

I was out the door, smelling pretty when I realized I'm just not feeling up to it today. I'm staying in bed with cramps. It's pretty indulgent. Feeling just bad enough not to feel bad for calling out, but not so bad as to be miserable at home watching tv. Sleeping. Tea and aspirin.
    Last edited by debbborra; 22nd January 2009 at 01:02 PM.

Haunani, congratulations! (I need to do lots of posting to catch you up!). Here's my SOTD: cdG Stephen Jones. I really am in love with this scent.

congratulations Haunani, and you've done it so quickly too!

Cuir de Russie for me today.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Good morning all Sotd is a real silage monster, Aromatics Elexir. Oh,and congratulations to Haunani!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 22nd January 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Congratulations, Haunani!

I'm trying out another one of the Profumo.it fragrances that Quarry sent. This one is called Fablier. I have no idea what's in it, but it smells wonderful - slightly spicy, resiny-incensy & naturally sweet. Just beautiful. Have a good day!

In LOVE'S TRUE BLUISH LIGHT

Congrats, Haunani!

I have officially lost my review virginity! Yippeeeee!
    I just discovered that some of my reviews have finally posted!!! And one is already in need of a serious update and editing: in honor of my former hate, now love relationship with Eau des Merveilles, I'll be wearing it today! Kindly disregard the review, or read it knowing I will be revising in good time.

UPDATE: I am in the mood for summer and am sampling Firefly (thank you Quarry!) instead! Mmmmm. Gorgeous drydown.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 22nd January 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons (sample.)

The jasmine in this is nice and clean smelling; however, I can tell it is still too much jasmine for my hubby's taste. And while I buy-- and wear-- fragrance for myself, I don't see much point in wearing fragrances that I know he dislikes. (He shows me the same courtesy when choosing frags for himself.)

Well done on 1000 posts Haunani (Don't worry; I started after you and have already broken 700 ).

Had the ENT appointment this morning: he reckons I have arthritis of the upper spine/neck, which would explain a lot. Going for an MRI scan in a few weeks just in case (but I understand it is also used as a diagnostic tool in the neck arthritis cases to see what's going on). NOT looking forward to that at all as I am claustrophobic. I will have to just deal with it.

Kindest Wordbird has sent me some things to sniff and I've got Samsara EDP on one wrist (suitably so, given that I tried the EDT yesterday and was left a bit disappointed). This is more like it. It's softer, rounder, fuller and more like the smell I remember. It has a lovely creamy/woody quality underneath the shrill top notes. It also gives totally different prominence to Jasmine and Ylang.

On second wrist, SL Borneo 1834. First impressions: I've dug up a large mushroom that's been growing on a patch of deep, black soil in which a wooden (now rotting) treasure chest containing (miraculously still very dry) good, light tobacco is buried. Very interesting. It's turning softer and almost powdery on my skin now, but the mushroomy/earthy note is still very prominent. I'm enjoying this so far, at least as a scent journey.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 22nd January 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Congrats Haunani! It's official. You are hooked.

I am wearing the gorgeous Chypre Noir by Ava luxe. Can't tear my wrist away from my nose.

A sample from The Great Enabler....she of the frisky rump...Coconut...

(it rates a place in my virtual 'drobe cuz I already ordered a bottle) Beautiful osmanthus and Russian Olive ....round but herbal. A stunner!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Congrats, Haunani !

(((((((Lian)))))))

Wound up weaing AL Ambra Tibet yesterday, then Eau Suave for bed.
    As soon as I'm up to a sink bedbath, I'll do YR Rose Absolue.

Good news: surgery went well.
    Bad news: postop was a mess.

BP was inexplicably , dangerously high- 200 / 120 ; it wouldn't come down, either.
    Needed IV Labetolol, poor DH was very frightened.
    I stayed very calm and detached- but fully cognizant that I could have had a stroke.
    I was NOT amused, my friends.

I've had a lot of surgery- but this one is the most painful.
    Oh, well- soon I'll feel better.

Love to all....

I'm wearing JPG Classique EDP today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Unintentional layering today...I sprayed on Bond No. 9 Wall Street this morning, but have discovered since that something I'm wearing is already pretty well marinated in Fracas. Oops. Oddly, the big white flowers are blending nicely with the marine and green...I may repeat this, on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I've had a lot of surgery- but this one is the most painful.
    Oh, well- soon I'll feel better.

Love to all....
    Sorry to hear of more pain, Chaya. May it soon be over for you, but take heart my dear - above the knee you are the best smelling patient they'll ever have.

Love, and all that jazz.

Congrats, Haunani, and very very gentle hugs to ((((((Chaya)))))!!!!

I am sharing the house with Sakecat, in Parfumerie Generale's Bois de Copaiba, from a sample. I adore this stuff, especially since I get a big leathery kick from the mahogany note up front, followed by delicious, warm softeness from the myrrh and sandalwood. Don't think I need a FB (yet), given all the other BIIIIG wood scents I've got, but a sizeable d*cant would suit me fine!!!

Bois de Copaiba notes: Crystallized orange pulp, red ginger, amaretto, copahu balm, mahogany wood, myrrh, sandalwood.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

We are returning to seasonal cool and sometimes damp weather...would be fall temperatures for some, but it is a bit chilly

To warm up today, I am wearing Chanel Egoiste--gorgeous creamy wood and spice. Citrus top notes fade rather quickly to go into the part of the fragrance development I love best.

Congrats Hanaui--here's to many more! And Chaya, so happy you are in the clear and the healing can begin--hugs!
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd January 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Chaya, may every moment get better from here on in.

Boucheron today--my last attempt to find something that would complement Firefly. I think I've decided to just wear Firefly Saturday. Fellow tree-huggers would probably be more attracted to Firefly's potting shed qualities than anything else I could wear. In hindsight, I think I should have gotten some Highland Lilac--that might have been the one thing to mesh with Firefly. All the other soliflores I tried (jasmine, violet, gardenia, lily, etc.) clashed with Firefly's greenness. Nostalgie, you're right, and I only figured this out today--the drydown is rather nice. Slightly manly, but mild.

Today I'm wearing Jasmin Full
    and so happy with the way it's working out.
    I've worn it a few times in the past but
    never with this much joy .
    Perhaps it's more of a winter scent on me?
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Congratulations Haunani!
    Tao! good choice! It was a complete blind buy for me too and I fell in love too!
    Chinatown for the day... samppling Azzaro pour Homme at night (I like the opening, I might get a bottle for day)

Basenotes Institution

Derby (vintage) by Guerlain (from a sample - thanks sloan_8013)

I didn't like Derby when I first smelled it. It bored me. This was before I became a Guerlain-ohlic and before I owned the Mitsouko parfum I have now. Wearing Derby today, I smell the similarities between these two Guerlain chypres. I'm not jumping up and down, but this time it's not boring me.

Coco for me today. I must be in love because this has been my SOTD for four days straight!!

Bal a Versailles - this is wonderful! a blind buy based on reviews and posts about it. It is not nearly as scandalous as I'd imagined

((chaya))

and congrats Haunani !!

Parfums de Nicolaï -- Balkis

Chaya, sorry to hear about the post-op trouble. Many wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery!
    Last edited by tang; 22nd January 2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Mitsouko EDT (Guerlain)

A sample of Dzing today. Mmmm ... I am NOT going to buy this now!
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Chaya -- oh my goodness! Very sorry to hear of the post-op nightmare. Feeling better I hope.

Haunani, congrats on your posting milestone!

Wearing Fidji today and really hoping the day flies by. Take care, all!

Eau de Reglisse

It's warmer today than it has been in a long time. I'm wearing one of my faves today in honor of the mercury climbing. Agent Provocateur.
    Last edited by Makeup Maniac; 22nd January 2009 at 05:56 PM.

D & G L'Eau The One

Never noticed the fruit in this before. I may not care for plum as a general rule, I have decided, but overall I like this well enough..

Well done, Haunani, you prolific poster, you!

Sorry to hear of your post-op problems, Chaya. Sounds like you are having a bit of a grim time.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the ranks of the demonstrably scent-obsessed, Haunani! (It's not so bad once you admit it )

And you, Chaya; ay-yi! Scary stuff, sweetheart. Very gentle hugs to you, plenty of drugs (oh, I forgot, they call it medication now, don't they, so it won't sound like you've got a bong going), and lots of calmness. I suspect you actually NEED 6 weeks parked on your beam end to calm riiiiiiiiight down. Hopefully Taolady will send you a link she sent me to help me breathe myself calmer (seemed to work - thanks Tao, by the way). Now just sit back, relax and get better, honeybunch.

I'm in comforting Kenzo Amour le Parfum for a day in which I am coming down with a vile tickly cough and poor Small is as rough as badger bristles, bless her. She's got a horrible sore throat, cough and fever; I think she's got another case of the lurgy. She's been in bed or on the sofa tucked up under a blanky all day. She's very good at feeling sorry for herself when she's ill though. "I'm not well..." she mutters weakly. Gloria Swanson eat your heart out! (She's well enough for ice lollies and kids TV, so she's not going to expire just yet.)

My problem with posting my SOTD late like this is that I read what everyone else is wearing and think 'oooh! I like that! I wish I was wearing that!' - it makes me crazy!

Hugs to all
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

comme des garçons
    series 2: red
    carnation

Congrats, Haunani and Chaya, may you feel lots better today!

Running late this morning, I ran out the door without applying perfume. Realized it when I got to the office so I hit my stash of samples in my desk and put on Ava Luxe Angel Face. I think this smells like a musky baby powder. Rather strong when first applied, but gets better after the drydown.

(((CHAYA)))) How tremendously scary! Post-anaesthesia hypertension can be very worrisome. I'm glad your surgery was a success. Take it easy and truly rest. I know it can be hard to allow yourself that luxury, I know I try to do too much too soon. Hope you have some good books, good music and good helpful friends and family to pamper you.

Wearing Feminite de Bois today from a sample. Thanks to the wonderful Wordbird! I am falling in love all over again.

Heal fast, chaya. Hope the worst is behind you now.

Simply have to report on the samples dear soirdelune sent me. Cuir de Lancôme is a very gentle, creamy, true leather/suede. Pretty much a one-note wonder, but what a note! This is ostentably better than my favourite leather so far: Cuir Ottoman. Suede and the elegant (ha) traces of tobacco as left on the fingers an hour after smoking a cigarette. It's been years since I lit one, and back then I rather worried that that smell would alert my mother, but it's pleasant in a way.
    Leathers are just not *me*, though. I know this older lady who wafts about a cloud of a particular leathery scent (really must ask what she wears, one of these days) plus burnt tobacco plus that makeup-powdery-smell. That aroma is Cuir de Lancome - although I also recognized it in AG Duel. Wearing CdL would be like wearing her persona.

Second: Jolie Madame. I'm intrigued. It starts off like LesNez Unicorn Spell, only more wearable. It has that same "green bean" scent (which to me rather reads pickled jalapeños) - is that violet? If so, I like violet. I smell iris, something herbal (coriander?), the suspicion of deepening flowers in the heart notes - no leather thus far. It's greengreengreen, pointy, not "pretty", and I like it a lot - to my surprise, because it does smell "classic". It must be the cold flowers that I do like; iris, violet, carnation perhaps? Intriguing.
    Not sure if I would actually dare wear this yet, it feels very much like uncharted territories. Filed under F for fascinating.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Look, ma! I went over 1,000 posts! I just started here in April, so this is a little embarrassing. But exciting, too. I'm having such a great time here! The people here are the BEST!!! :bounce:

I'm just going to bed. But I think I'm going to treat myself to a little DANS TES BRAS in the morning.

Yawn...(rubbing eyes)...good night!
    Congratulations!!

Chaya..don't forget the pain medication. If you are comfortable your BP will stay down, AND you will heal faster. I'm a big fan for adequate pain medication. No down side for most people. Actually very safe, but many docs get the heebie jeebies prescribing enough.

Today I'm testing Black Violet (sultry) and Noir de Noir (also sultry). I so dislike some of Tom Ford's advertising because I find it misogynistic, but I have to admit, his private reserve fragrances are great. Some are even full bottle worthy. Oh well....so much for righteousness. It crumbles in the face of a great juice..
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 22nd January 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Chaya, how awful to go through something so scary while in discomfort. I hope that you get to feeling well very soon.

Dear Chaya: I'm so glad that you're recovering well;
    all pain and setbacks aside, it will only get better now .
    My warmest and most positive thoughts and vibes to you
    for a complete and quick recovery.
    You really are very strong!
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Chaya: I also hope the worst is behind you. Your post-op bp hike sounds terrifying! And bless your heart for being spry enough to check in here and update our worried heads! Sending strength vibes your way...

Haunani: Congratulations! I'm always happy to see your posts, and hope you keep them flowin'.

I'm sharing the house with SMM today; Eau de Rochas. It is the perfect blend of wake-up citrus and grounding patchouli for me today. I don't think I've ever given this a full wearing either. Fleeting thing; I may drag around my mini bottle with me to refresh...

(Oh yeah. I didn't post yesterday's SOTD, which was Le Parfum de Therese from a sample, for the stats.)

Morning Star

Morning: Gucci Pour Homme
    Afternoon: Profumum Thundra
    Evening: Ermenegildo Zegna Z Zegna Extreme

Sampling Dior Pure Poison. I don't love it, but I can see why some people would enjoy it.

Congratulations, Haunani, woo-hoo! Keep 'em coming...

Chaya, be well.

I'm wearing Chanel's gorgeous Coromandel today, from a sample. Sooooo gooooood!