Code of Conduct

Default I struck gold... Le Feu D'Issey (original)

Tonight I was gobsmacked to come across a random perfumery in a small shopping centre near me. On the shelf I was astonished to find a 50ml bottle of the original Le Feu d'Issey, still in its cellophane, HEAVILY discounted. It was amongst random "cheapies" and other htf scents from Ralph Lauren and Iceberg etc.

When this was launched it was met with mixed reviews, and became a huge commercial flop. But "those in the nose" hailed it as Issey Miyake's triumph. It was abruptly discontinued for being too avante garde for commercial tastes.

So I DIDNT buy the bottle. And now, here I am with a spritz on my hand thinking WHAT WAS I THINKING???! Am now considering a visit first thing tomorrow when doors open...

Just wondering if there is any love here for LFDI!?

Le Feu D'Issey
    Top Notes
    Bulgarian Rose, Coriander
    Middle Notes
    Sichuan Pepper, Golden Japanese Lily
    Base Notes
    Guaiacwood, Milk notes, Amber, Benzoin

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th January 2009 at 07:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I found Le Feu D'Issey (original)

Yes, you'd better buy it! Even if you don't like it. It's worth mega $$$$. Is there only 1? I want one!

Default Re: I found Le Feu D'Issey (original)

Im going back in a short while kumquat to see what they have. There was only 1 on the shelf, plus the tester... perhaps I could score them both.
    I see what you mean about how pricey this is nowdays... just take a look at these!
    http://www.perfumemart.com/Le-Feu-dI...source=froogle
    http://www.perfumenetwork.com/lefeud...6.html?froogle
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th January 2009 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: I struck gold... Le Feu D'Issey (original)

Hmm, think i might have seen this around somewhere in my country. Does this smell feminine (compared to something like Habanita)?

I'd be having a sleepless night until I got to that store at first light in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    I'd be having a sleepless night until I got to that store at first light in the morning!
    Trufflehunter - I hear ya. I really did have a buggered nights sleep over this!

SUCCESS!
    I returned to the store today and managed to grab the BNIB cello-wrapped bottle, AND the tester, which is about 90+ % full. I cant imagine using them both, so I may put 'em up in the marketplace.

I happen to know a local BPI USA rep. She started with the company in 2000, at the same time they started in-house US distribution (previously, they contracted those duties out to Parfums Boucheron), and still works with them today.

She was with the company when Le Feu d'Issey launched. And she misses it a lot, plus when she mentions that Issey Miyake is one of her lines to her customers, many ask "what happened to it?". This makes me think that if BPI stuck with it a little longer, I think that they might have had an Angel-type success story (a love-it or hate-it cult scent). Too bad.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Good one, Dimitri!

I also scored a couple of 75ml bottles just last week. I knew that they were hard to come by and fetched high prices, so I went ahead and got them. While I didn't get them for closeout prices, they were what I'd call normal perfume prices, far below what you find on eBay or the other internet sellers. Under the circumstances I think they were excellent buys.

Unfortunately I haven't tried it yet. What do you think so far?

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I happen to know a local BPI USA rep. She started with the company in 2000, at the same time they started in-house US distribution (previously, they contracted those duties out to Parfums Boucheron), and still works with them today.

She was with the company when Le Feu d'Issey launched. And she misses it a lot, plus when she mentions that Issey Miyake is one of her lines to her customers, many ask "what happened to it?". This makes me think that if BPI stuck with it a little longer, I think that they might have had an Angel-type success story (a love-it or hate-it cult scent). Too bad.
    Hi MFfan, I was also a BPI consultant who came on board as LFDI was being phased out, and being followed shortly thereafter by the somewhat disappointing "Light" version.
    I think the problem in Australia, is that LFDI did not work well in that particular climate. Now I have been reunited with it here in Denmark, where the climate is far more mild, it really works well. I agree that if Issey had stuck with it, perhaps it would have been a success after all. I do think however that its rarity these days only adds to the legend, and the scent's appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Good one, Dimitri!

I also scored a couple of 75ml bottles just last week. I knew that they were hard to come by and fetched high prices, so I went ahead and got them. While I didn't get them for closeout prices, they were what I'd call normal perfume prices, far below what you find on eBay or the other internet sellers. Under the circumstances I think they were excellent buys.

Unfortunately I haven't tried it yet. What do you think so far?

noggs
    Hi Noggs,
    Definitely worth snatching up if found at a reasonable price. I purchased these at a good price, though pretty much on par with some high-end mainstream releases.
    I have sampled again from the tester bottle, and had quite forgotten how excellent this scent is. When it was first launched I was annoyed by what smelled to my nose as a "Vitamin B" accord. Nowadays, with a greater sensitivity to what constitutes a well-constructed scent, I feel this composition is nothing short of genius.
    I plan to write a full-blown review on the blog this weekend.

Will you indulge yourself noggs, and open one of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Will you indulge yourself noggs, and open one of yours?
    You can count on it!

I used to own Feu d'Issey when it was in production. Something in it gave me terrible headaches every time I wore it--could have been Iso E Super, but at the time I didn't know about this aromachemical. It languished in my small wardrobe until I eventually threw it away! :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    It languished in my small wardrobe until I eventually threw it away! :-/
    D'oh!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    When it was first launched I was annoyed by what smelled to my nose as a "Vitamin B" accord. Nowadays, with a greater sensitivity to what constitutes a well-constructed scent, I feel this composition is nothing short of genius.
    Funny, I smell that same accord in Secretions Magnifique by ELDO. ((nervous))

Blog Entries

You could make up some samples so we could all have a sniffa? I'm very curious. Is it really all that? Some of the scents that are d/c and HTF, I have found are not that great once you find them. There is often a reason they didn't do well.

Hadn't thought of that actually kumquat!
    Ive just added a post on LFDI to my blog (see link in my siggy).