Code of Conduct

Default Any Recommendations for a Powerful CITRUS?

This subject has come up before but I forgot the recommendations, so I'll ask again.

My purchases of citrus fragrances has dropped to almost nil because of their (often) lack of longetivity. I like frags that stick around for a while and almost exclusively buy rich, deep frags for that reason. Sillage isn't as important to me as longetivity. As long as I can smell it, I'm not overly concerned with who else can, though a combination of the two would be nice.

Any suggestions?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Recommendations for a Powerful CITRUS?

You may want to try:

Colonia Assoluta - Aqua di Parma
    Tangerine Verte - Miller Harris
    Citron Citron - Miller Harris
    Eau Sauvage Concentree - Christian Dior

These have all been long-lasting on me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have heard 'Monsieur Balmain' is a citrus with a lot of bang. I have never tried it though I've got some coming in my mail...Hopefully it'd be nice....

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have heard 'Monsieur Balmain' is a citrus with a lot of bang. I have never tried it though I've got some coming in my mail...Hopefully it'd be nice....
    Yes, the initial citrus blast is very strong. But as I can remember, it would last not more than about half an hour, then it turns into a wood scent.

Armani PH has a very strong citrus line in it. Otherwise, my favourite is AdP Colonia Assoluta, it lasts.

Czech & Speake - Citrus Paradisi

Derring-Do
    Versace PH
    Art of Shaving Lemon
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

If you don't mind some pine try Blenheim Bouquet - the top of my current buylist. Monsieur Balmain was nice, but there was this ash note in it which I didn't quite like,

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    You too!

YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration.. you will NOT be dissappointed. Also try Agua De Loewe.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Monsieur Balmain
    The citrus note is very powerful lasts forever!!

Ivy League?

Dior Eau Sauvage
    TDC Divine Bergamote
    Bond No.9 Little Italy
    YSL live jazz

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Jen, he's seeking recommendation for a 'powerful citrus' ..............not the 'weakest citrus'

Unfortunately with citrus the qulaity of the smell is usually inversly proportional to the longevity, so great smelling, pure citrus never lasts long. However:

Trumper GFT - very long lasting lemon/herbal accord.
    Ricci Club - lots of other stuff going on but a good long citrus accord.

If you are like me and enjoy older style citrusy/babershop frags with that synthetic but very nice kind of "cut through smoke" citrus note, there are quite a few. Truefitt&Hill Grafton holds a citrus note for many hours, Dunhill Edition likewise and lots more I can't think of right now...you may have to apply these more heavilly that more recent frags though.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Castle Forbes Neroli (nothing can``t beat this)
    Tangerine Verte - Miller Harris
    Citron Citron - Miller Harris
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

I also recommend the Monsieur Balmain. Perfect for warm muggy weather. I also have good longevity with Nina Ricci's Signoricci. Rich wonderful citrus. Want to try Ricci Club as well. Signoricci is getting raather difficult to find.

Acqua di Parma Colonia lasts all day for me [(lemon)(not assoluta and not intensa)] and so does Terre Hermes (orange).

If I remember correctly, Moschino Friends was a very long lasting citrus frag, at least on a paper strip. To me, it was a bit too synthetic in nature, but your milage may vary...

Loewe Pour Homme, it's my SOTD...
    Very Lemony/Green opening and it stays that way for a long time, and then gets progressively muskier. Really classic stuff, created in the 70's, but not dated in the slightest to my nose. I would definitely put this in hirch_duckfinder's category of "cut through smoke" citrus scents.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Feu d'Orange Intense Eau de Toilette, by L'Occitane.

I picked up a bottle of this last weekend, on sale for $21 (regularly $42). I would definitely consider this a powerful citrus - "blood orange, citrus, vetiver" (according to the card in the store). It lasts long on me.

The cedar and oakmoss in Versace pour homme make it smell too "old". Citrus, (to me!) should smell fresh and lively, not geriatric. L'eau D'Issey is more appropriate for the genre in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 24th January 2009 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration.. you will NOT be dissappointed. Also try Agua De Loewe.
    Absolutly....YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration is THE OPTION.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Feu d'Orange Intense Eau de Toilette, by L'Occitane.

I picked up a bottle of this last weekend, on sale for $21 (regularly $42). I would definitely consider this a powerful citrus - "blood orange, citrus, vetiver" (according to the card in the store). It lasts long on me.
    Great suggestion, and one I have to second! I really love this one, and it's almost never mentioned on basenotes (I don't think it's in the directory either). I've never pulled the trigger on a bottle, but I will definitely pick one up if it's on sale now, bottle worthy all the way. Very natural and intense blood orange, slightly spicy and woody, very lively and exhuberant. Somehow actually reminds me of being in Sicily! Glad you mentioned it...
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Hermes Concentee D'Orange Verte is imho the best citrus, and more powerful and lasting than alot state.
    Very natural and green.

Bond's little italy smells ~70% synthetic, and candy-sweet, but does last, it's very powerful. Some compare to candy-synthetic of Clinique happy.
    Bond's Eau De NY, is a better citrus offering. It has some green leafy notes under it's citrus, and is not as candy-sweet as Little Italy.
    Hilfiger athletics is a 100% synthetic linear grapefruit that is not bitter like Terre's top, and lasts longer.
    Trumper's GFT is a classic aromatic citrus blend, that outlasts the other classics of this type.
    AdP Colonia's base of Rose and lavender is what lasts forever, not it's citrus top notes, the rose and lavender smell clean and crisp, and give the impression of what could be a citrus-floral scent.
    Tangerine Vert is excellent, it is more powerful than Arancia di Capri and others in it's price range.

Caraceni's Ivy league I was very much looking forward to, and was dissapointed to find the same synthetic "mandarin chewing gum" note as in Boss Pure and "I Am King", only in Ivy league, this note is surrounded by cheap feminine "dishsoap florals", like the cheap Bath & Body sprays. It does last though.

Heeley's Vervaine is another one that lasts and lasts, and one I looked forward too, only to be dissapointed by a very sour and synthetic, moderately feminine base.

Profumum Aqua Viva lasts well, as it has more Lemon Myrtle than actual fleeting lemon.
    Monsieur Balmain I have not smelled, but is referred as a long-lasting lemon scent. For those who smell an ash note, is your bottle the new bright yellow 1990 bottle with the straight cap, or the wider lighter pale yellow older bottle with the funny cap ? I am eager to hear more about this, as well as its drydown in either version...
    Last edited by DULLAH; 24th January 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Every time someone asks this question I always respond with the same answer: Acqua Viva by Profumum.

Another that comes to mind, that's a new find is: Agrumi Amari di Sicilia by Bois 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Unfortunately with citrus the qulaity of the smell is usually inversly proportional to the longevity, so great smelling, pure citrus never lasts long.
    I agree. The trick is for someone to properly blend the two, which imho, hasn't been done yet.

What little italy and Eau de NY have done, shows promise, but they both still do not have enough natural essence to properly cloak their synthetic lasting power.

What Hermes COncentre D'Orange and Malle's Bigarade concentre have done, with hard-refining of Natural oils, is also a step in the right direction, although both these scents may benefit from slightly more synthetics.

Also, the long-lasting synthetic notes of "tangerine chewing gum" (Used in Boss Pure, Caraceni Ivy League, and Sean John I Am King), and the long lastin synthetic "floral-marine-citrus" cocktail used in Creed's MI, and Sean John's Multi-Platinum, show lots of promise.

Even the synthetic Grapefruit of Fresh Hespiredes and Hilfiger Athletics are greatly underused, as many citrus scents would benefit from small doses of these as "bridges"

I sometimes wish for a vacation as an intern to a house yearning to create the ultimate combo synthetic-natural citrus scent. But I don't yet know the terminology of the synthetic side.

Second Hermes d'Orange Verte Concentre... the topnotes last for hours on me with the help of a little moisturizer!

Dior's Diorella is more powerful and longer lasting than Eau Sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    OMG...just realized I have this one! Haven't worn it for quite a while, so tomorrow it'll be my SOTD.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll try these.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 25th January 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Profumum's Acqua Viva. It is expensive but if you want intense and relatively long lasting citrus (think fresh lemons) this is where you need to look.
    Last edited by surreality; 25th January 2009 at 01:49 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Le Roy Soleil/Dali
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Allure Homme Edition Blanche. Tons of citrus notes--lemon, lime, grapefruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Czech & Speake - Citrus Paradisi
    Bullseye !! dimitri
    I second CP ...... dynamite juice apply very very lightly !
    Monsieur Balmain I also recommend , but its only half as potent as the above , be great to someday have the opportunity to sample vintage juice v modern .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

if you dont mind smelling like an old lady creed royal water stays on the skin forever! its hard to wash off.

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    if you dont mind smelling like an old lady creed royal water stays on the skin forever! its hard to wash off.
    one can always try sandblasting
    .. then ofcourse there are skin-grafts

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43