Code of Conduct

Default Howdy and where to from here suggestions?

Hi all, great to find a mature community...on the internet no less!

I went through a bit of a fragrance buying fad recently, and while i have quite enough frags for the time being, i'm not sure where my next purchases should be!
    I'm a bit of a beginner in the fragrance world, certainly struggle to distinguish top/base notes etc, but i'm sure that will come with time...
    I'm 21 btw.
    Anyway, my wardrobe is:
    Joop! Jump (probably my favourite. Yes its a bestseller, but its cheap, everyone loves it and the sillage and longevity is brilliant)
    Gucci Envy (i rate this in a similar category to Jump, though not sure if thats right. its super, though a little older/more sophisticated than Jump)
    Gucci Pour Homme II (wonderful, light and classy. i wish it was more potent/lasted longer though sometimes).
    D&G Pour Homme. (a blind purchase for a classy, citrus scent. i'm not convinced, it seems to smell like plastic. But occassionally i 'get it'. Others seem to like it. Probably works well with a suit)
    Issey Miyake l'odysey or however its spelt. My final effort to find a summer fragrance. Love it. Will probably replace...
    Halston Unbound. Supposedly an AdG clone thats better. I've gone off it, it smells a bit rotten on me until it settles down.
    Burberry London (wonderfully warm, i'm waiting for winter!)
    Body Kouros (a recent purchase, this may, in the future, replace Jump as my fav!)
    Bulgari Pour Homme (love it, though i'm not sure if it sticks around very long).
    Davidoff Coolwater (a recent gift, certainly smells like the sea/beach, but ultimately seems to stink).

So there it is! Recently i've sold the following: Aramis New West, YSL Jazz and Live Jazz, and Hugo Boss' Hugo Man. The first three didn't seem to work on me, and the last gave me a headache and was pretty rubbish.

So has anyone any suggestions about what might take my fancy, or where to head to next? My Dad wears Chanel Allure Homme, so thats out (i don't want to smell like my dad). Sean John's Unforgivable has piqued my interest, mainly because of its supposed copying of a Creed frag. I've yet to smell it. I know a girl who loves Hugo Boss' In Motion, which i've yet to smell due to said brand's synthetic reputation. Any alternatives?

Finally, I'm not interested in the exclusive niche houses. I don't care how natural the ingredients are, i'm not paying 200 bucks for stinky water!

Default Re: Howdy and where to from here suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Phail View Post
    Finally, I'm not interested in the exclusive niche houses. I don't care how natural the ingredients are, i'm not paying 200 bucks for stinky water!
    Damn, If only I had taken the same approach as you! By doing this you'll undoubtedly miss out on some truly great stuff... but hey.. you end up saving a lot of cash which I didn't

You already have some good ones in your wardrobe currently (Burberry London.. I love that too!). I'd suggest you sample the following and see which you like most :

Gucci Pour Homme (The original)
    John Varvatos
    Aigner Black / Aigner Black Icedrops
    Rochas Lui
    Kouros ( ) (No, seriously, try it!)
    YSl L'Homme

I haven't given any descriptions of any of the above, but a quick search on the Male Fragrance Discussion board will yield you indepth information

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Look into the Caron men's offerings. They're important frags, and they're affordable and wearable.

+1 on the Carons, the trinity of men's Carons are
    Caron pour Un Homme
    Caron Le 3me Homme
    Caron Yatagan

The last one is an acquired taste and all of them need to be sampled before you buy.

I'd also suggest trying Hermes Terre D'Hermes it has a different take on the citrus you already like in D&G pour Homme and L'Eau D'Issey.

In any case happy hunting.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Cheers guys, for the direction! I'd never really considered or looked into the Caron range, so they'll be next on the list! hopefully the local perfume shops have some samples. In some ways i'm hoping i'll hate them so i won't be compelled to snap them up...

Hi all, great to find a mature community...on the internet no less!

I went through a bit of a fragrance buying fad recently, and while i have quite enough frags for the time being, i'm not sure where my next purchases should be!
    I'm a bit of a beginner in the fragrance world, certainly struggle to distinguish top/base notes etc, but i'm sure that will come with time...
    I'm 21 btw.
    Anyway, my wardrobe is:
    Joop! Jump (probably my favourite. Yes its a bestseller, but its cheap, everyone loves it and the sillage and longevity is brilliant)

Welcome another Aussie member. Which big city?

Looks like we agree on several points - the Jump and the Cool Water. BTW, no matter what the niche snobs say, the Jump is better than most men's aromatic fougeres out there; including the legendary Creed GIT and the Cool Water. To be fair, the Creed GIT was not a scrubber but the CW I could not get away from fast enough.

Looking at my own wardrobe, assuming some of our tastes overlap, have a go at L'instant Guerlain pour Homme and Dior Homme (try David Jones/Myer).

I know a girl who loves Hugo Boss' In Motion, which i've yet to smell due to said brand's synthetic reputation. Any alternatives?
    Don't worry about brand reputations, or at least not to the extent where it'd get in the way of enjoying a fragrance based on its own merits. I also think it's silly to ask for alternatives to something you've never smelled and very well may like! And to actually answer your question, I haven't smelled anything like it yet.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.