Code of Conduct

Thread: Homme vs Homme

Default Homme vs Homme

I'm a newb here, having recently discovered the site and the huge world of fragrances.
    I'm currently looking for a new scent, I've been sampling quite a few and have narrowed down my next selection to one of the following
    -YSL l'homme
    -Gucci PH II
    -Dior Homme
    -Allure Homme
    -D&G pour Homme

I'm looking for something fresh aromatic with a woodsy/slightly musky/sweet base for spring and evening wear. I've currently got a sample of the YSL on and tried the GPH II yesterday, I could sniff these all day and be happy, but the YSL might come across as too feminine?
    Anyway, what's your take on the above? Is there a clear favorite or another similar suggestion to add to the mix? Thanks

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Homme vs Homme

Of those on your list I would suggest Allure Homme, although you might want to try M7 Fresh by YSL also.

Basenotes Plus

Have you tried Guerlain Homme, I would really recommend it! The Mojito accord is pretty damn good.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

ballplayer... YSL Homme smells feminine? Hmmm. Well at least it's in the correct family that you're looking for. I tried it last week and my notes were "Like Cool Water, but slightly softer and so it doesn't make me want to scrub it off."

I have and love Dior Homme - but if you want to find something in the aromatic fougeres freshness line then cross off Dior Homme from your list. The DH is a heavier gourmand scent with iris and the problem is that iris seems to make something "feminine" to the un-initiated nose.

Allure is very versatile and ... sort of all over the place, it covers a lot of basis, I never got to figure it out. (girls love it )
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

The opening of YSL L'homme smells a little feminine to me also, but that goes away after about 15 to 20 minutes. It also took me a couple of wearing from a full bottle to get a sense of the scent. For some reason, my sample vial smells different than the bottle. Maybe it'll be useful for you to test it a few more times.

I must ask whether you've tried Cartier's Must de Cartier Pour Homme. In my view, this would nail your criteria to a "t"!

Oh, and "Welcome!" to these fora.
    Last edited by wicozani; 20th January 2009 at 09:27 PM.

GP2 all the way! I own that, D&G, and Dior, and though they're all nice, I feel the "freshest" in the Gucci. D&G is special, but it takes a while for the drydown. Dior is nice too, but I got some doubts about it. It reminds me of bannana-nut bread. But that Gucci is just awesome to me.

Right now, Dior's Higher fills that spot in my rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Allure is very versatile and ...
    Yes, it can give you a headache at home, a headache at work, a headache when you are out trying to have fun, a headache .... Sorry, cannot resist

To contibute something helpful, I would say go with what YOU like. But if possible, try to sample another Homme...that is, Carven Homme. Very comforting and for all ages.

The YSL doesn't smell feminine to me, I love it, I was just afraid it might come off that way.

I forgot that I did smell Must de Cartier and liked it, I should get ahold of a sample.

I really love the drydown on the GPH, it's a nice soft woodsy smell.

The Allure seems like it might be a bit more of a cold weather scent, whereas the others might be a bit more versatile?

What's the best place to get sample vials from? Ebay? The perfumed court?

Does anyone else have an issue with Allure being too close to the skin and having very short longevity?

Of those, Dior Homme is the only one that I would stand behind. If you've tried it and like the powdery iris in it, it's totally unique and will last all day.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with Allure being too close to the skin and having very short longevity?
    I think, for me at least, the longevity of Allure Homme is very good. Projection, maybe not so much. I don't mind that, as I am not too cray about this scent.

But I am surprised it has poor longevity for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I think, for me at least, the longevity of Allure Homme is very good. Projection, maybe not so much. I don't mind that, as I am not too cray about this scent.

But I am surprised it has poor longevity for you.
    I'm surprised as well, I do have dry skin though so maybe some moisturizer will increase the longevity.

i always secretly wondered how do you pronounce homme? from your list its a throwndown between allure and dior for me
    Last edited by xclusive; 21st January 2009 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
    i always secretly wondered how do you pronounce homme? from your list its a throwndown between allure and dior for me
    "Ohmme"

#1-Dior Homme is my choice from your list: A great modern gentleman scent. But as far as you are worried that YSL L'Homme being considered as feminine, its possible that you find Dior like a female's lipstick! Anyway give it a try.
    #2-Allure homme is a good woody-oriental classic but its more suitable for cold weather IMO.
    Last edited by msi_21; 21st January 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

So I went and tried the Dior Homme again today, last time I had sprayed it on a card and it was nice, but nothing special. As soon as I sprayed it on my skin I walked outside and went Wow! what's that smell? Looked around and realized it was me and the Dior Homme. It exploded when it hit my skin, I guess I haven't really had a fragrance respond that well to my chemistry before, and I fell in love with the smell. Granted it may smell a tad feminine but I absolutely love it, pretty sure I'm gonna grab a bottle now, it's been five hours and the sillage is still amazing; DH is nice when sniffed on skin, but the sillage is what's extraordinary I think.

Homme vs Homme
    And the winner is...

Homme!

hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by ballplayer7373 View Post
    So I went and tried the Dior Homme again today, last time I had sprayed it on a card and it was nice, but nothing special. As soon as I sprayed it on my skin I walked outside and went Wow! what's that smell? Looked around and realized it was me and the Dior Homme. It exploded when it hit my skin, I guess I haven't really had a fragrance respond that well to my chemistry before, and I fell in love with the smell. Granted it may smell a tad feminine but I absolutely love it, pretty sure I'm gonna grab a bottle now, it's been five hours and the sillage is still amazing; DH is nice when sniffed on skin, but the sillage is what's extraordinary I think.
    Congrats to our newest member of the Dior Homme fan club.

Unlike you, I still like it even if I never sprayed it on my skin (I always spray perfume on fabric anyway, on principle.)

Of the five you listed in the beginning Dior Homme is the best of the bunch, for me.
    I'm also one that thinks Allure homme is pretty good. In the same line I like Allure Homme Edition Blanche better.
    If you get the chance try Gucci pour Homme, the original. Since you like woody so much that has a very unique cedar note to it compared to pencil shavings and it sounds like it might be one you would like.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Of the five you listed in the beginning Dior Homme is the best of the bunch, for me.
    I'm also one that thinks Allure homme is pretty good. In the same line I like Allure Homme Edition Blanche better.
    If you get the chance try Gucci pour Homme, the original. Since you like woody so much that has a very unique cedar note to it compared to pencil shavings and it sounds like it might be one you would like.
    Funny you should mention GPH I becuase I really liked it the first time I tried it. It feels a bit too much like a cold weather scent for what I'm looking for now, but I did find the GPH II to have a similar incense/cedar base.