Code of Conduct

Default Just bought my first couple of "real" fragrances...

First post here so hey everyone!! I'll get right to the point. I'm 17 in my senior year of high school and I'm looking into buying some good fragrances (mostly for the ladies) so I've been reading up on various websites, mostly this one to see what fragrances are popular right now. After doing some research I ordered a handful of samples from the perfumed court, namely M7, CDG 2, Gucci Envy for men, guerlain vetiver, aqua di gio, and sean john unforgivable. I figured that out of those I could find at least one or two that I liked.

Well today I got the guerlain (they mailed it separately for some reason) in the mail and uh... I can't decide whether it smells like something my 50 year old dad should be wearing or my spanish teacher but it's definitely not a youthful fragrance. I hope that when I get the rest of my samples they smell a little more young and fresh. I mean the guerlain smells alright it's just not something I would wear at 17 unless I wanted to remind every girl I meet of her dad/grandad. Do you think that my other choices were better for someone my age? What are some good scents for someone about to go to college?

Default Re: Just bought my first couple of "real" fragrances...

Well first of all Welcome to basenotes!
    By researching fragrances you have already made a greater effort than most other people do and the list with your sample certainly is a pretty good start.
    Many BNs have started their cologne journey because of the ladies but for most of them this great hobby has developed such an automotive that they now mostly wear it for themselves in the first place.
    Anyway, this being said, your reaction to the Guerlain fragrance is coherent, Guerlain is not as easy to appreciate as other designer fragrances, same probably applies to the M7, however the Sean John and Aqua di Gio should do your intentions justice regarding the effect you are looking for and they are "easier to like".
    just one more tip, dont give up in the other samples right after the first sniff!
    The sensitivity of the nose is increasing by the times you awaringly use the sense of smell and you might end up liking those "50-y-o-frags/teacher-stuff" more than you would imagine right now.
    Last edited by timaru; 8th January 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Look buddy...just follow my blueprint and you'll be alright. lol Nah, I'm kiddin, but if you'd like, you can take a look at my wardrobe, find and sniff em all, and then see what ya like.

If you want something that's "young and fresh" just head over to Macy's. They are stocked up with fragrances that are fresh. In fact, that's their main sales pitch for what they're trying to push on you. They say, "this smells so clean and fresh" or something along those lines.

Do you have any Marshalls stores in your area? One of the Marshalls I went to has this fragrance called Azzaro Now that's really nice and may be what you're looking for. You can get a 1.7 oz. bottle for $14.99 if you can find it. It may be worth tracking down all the Marshalls in your area to try to find this fragrance. I am confident that you won't be disappointed with it. It's really youthful and most will agree that it has a delightful smell. The reviews are a bit mixed on it from this site but I contributed a positive review that hasn't been posted yet. One reviewer seemed to really like this fragrance but there's a neutral rating on it. Anyway, check it out.
    Last edited by Ronin; 9th January 2009 at 11:36 PM.

Just buy yourself a bottle of Green Irish Tweed, and don't ever come back to Basenotes. Trust me.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Of the ones you ordered, I think only the Acqua di Gio and Unforgivable fall into the category of young and fresh.

Some other frags that I've tried that fall into the category of young and fresh:
    - Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte
    - Bulgari Aqua
    - Givenchy Greenergy (a little hard to find, but you can get it on Amazon for $15 or so)
    - Davidoff Cool Water
    - Kenneth Cole Reaction
    - Allure Homme Sport

I agree with Hobbes on the d'Orange Verte, It's a classic citrus fragrance that has a nice "fresh" lime open that's followed by it mellowing down into a nice slightly sweet orange.
    Another really "fresh" fragrance is Cartier Roadster it was formulated to bring the younger customer into the Cartier fragrance fold. It has mint top notes which is rare in the fragrance industry. Many people on BN think it smells like toothpaste but it's a nice fragrance, I would order a sample of it before you make a blind buy.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I say this every thread, but Eau Sauvage. That is all.

I think Eau Sauvage is a little too "mature" for a high schooler to wear... similar to Guerlain Vetiver in that respect. Just my opinion, though.
    Last edited by Hobbes; 12th January 2009 at 02:58 PM.

yes try green Irish tweed, silver mountain water or Burberry London. Perfect for youth!

Burberry Beat
    CKin2U
    PhatFarm Premium
    FCUK Him
    Beckham Signature For Him
    Ed Hardy Man

yeah i second allure homme sport, also ill say
    dior homme
    ck one
    lacoste essential
    chanel platinum egoiste
    joop

Head to a local Macys or Younkers and try these:

Versace Pour Homme (similar to Allure Homme Sport but not so sweet in the drydown, better for daily wear)

YSL L'Homme (ginger + tonka bean. Tonka bean is sort of a vanilla-ish aroma with caramel and almond like accents.)

Davidoff Adventure (spicy and sweet mix of citrus and pepper, cinnamon like notes, tea, sesame seed and cedar)

Prada Infusion d'Homme (clean and a bit soapy. Almost smells like fresh white linens, lightly starched.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm 21 and most of the stuff I own would be considered 'young.' Take a look at the little icon next to my name, hopefully something in there jumps out at you. Guerlain Vetiver is OK but my girlfriend said it smells like something her dad would wear! However she likes Terre d'Hermes, which is similar in my opinion.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Sean John. Unforgivable.

The perfect fragrance to make you smell irresistible but not like a poser. Acqua di Gio is a more opulent fragrance in my opinion. Not something I would wear "for the ladies." More for myself. Good if you want to project that "I'm doing this for me, not you," image. Unforgivable wakes you up in the morning when you've had a bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) night before and you've still got that exam to go to. Nice, confident fragrance, I wear it for all my important days.

Ed Hardy Man is something I got a sample of the other day when I bought D&G Light Blue. I've been wearing it on campus some too, but it certainly requires more panache and edge than Unforgivable. More like Diesel Fuel for Life. Not as great an age range as on Unforgivable or AdG. Of course, those are both youthful fragrances as well, but I won't feel like I'm too old to wear them when I'm 25. I'd say grab something that will last you a good while. Cuz you could be in college for a bit

Out of curiosity, what were the fragrances you had before that you don't consider "real?"

Quote Originally Posted by JdPlumby View Post
    First post here so hey everyone!! I'll get right to the point. I'm 17 in my senior year of high school and I'm looking into buying some good fragrances (mostly for the ladies) so I've been reading up on various websites, mostly this one to see what fragrances are popular right now. After doing some research I ordered a handful of samples from the perfumed court, namely M7, CDG 2, Gucci Envy for men, guerlain vetiver, aqua di gio, and sean john unforgivable. I figured that out of those I could find at least one or two that I liked.

Well today I got the guerlain (they mailed it separately for some reason) in the mail and uh... I can't decide whether it smells like something my 50 year old dad should be wearing or my spanish teacher but it's definitely not a youthful fragrance. I hope that when I get the rest of my samples they smell a little more young and fresh. I mean the guerlain smells alright it's just not something I would wear at 17 unless I wanted to remind every girl I meet of her dad/grandad. Do you think that my other choices were better for someone my age? What are some good scents for someone about to go to college?
    Yeah I know what you mean. I just bought myself the M7 and it smells like an old grandma. But maybe it gets better through the day, I will test it tommorow and let you know how it goes in regards to the ladies opinions. By the way I'm 17 years old as well. Let me/us know how the fragrances go.
    Last edited by mrbombastic; 15th January 2009 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbombastic View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. I just bought myself the M7 and it smells like an old grandma.
    Your old grandma wears M7? She sounds pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Your old grandma wears M7? She sounds pretty cool.
    Oh, just razzin' you a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke A View Post
    Sean John. Unforgivable.

The perfect fragrance to make you smell irresistible but not like a poser. Acqua di Gio is a more opulent fragrance in my opinion. Not something I would wear "for the ladies." More for myself. Good if you want to project that "I'm doing this for me, not you," image. Unforgivable wakes you up in the morning when you've had a bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) night before and you've still got that exam to go to. Nice, confident fragrance, I wear it for all my important days.

Ed Hardy Man is something I got a sample of the other day when I bought D&G Light Blue. I've been wearing it on campus some too, but it certainly requires more panache and edge than Unforgivable. More like Diesel Fuel for Life. Not as great an age range as on Unforgivable or AdG. Of course, those are both youthful fragrances as well, but I won't feel like I'm too old to wear them when I'm 25. I'd say grab something that will last you a good while. Cuz you could be in college for a bit

Out of curiosity, what were the fragrances you had before that you don't consider "real?"
    YES! I have a sample of unforgivable and the first day I wore it I got a compliment from a girl. I'll probably buy a whole bottle when it runs out. Definitely my favorite so far(not only because I got a compliment either, I really like it). As for the fragrances I wouldn't consider "real" I'm just talking about fragrances that other people picked out and gave me for christmas or something. Some of them are terrible but some are alright. I've worn them in the past but none of them are really "me".

OK little update since it was requested. I got all of the samples today, except for M7 which they forgot to send for some reason... I'll try to get that fixed lol. Here's my thoughts:

Aqua di Gio - Nice, just like I was expecting. I'll probably get a bottle for days where I want to smell good and don't mind smelling like everyone else (the smell is very recognizable).

Unforgivable - see above post.^ My favorite so far.

Comme des Garcons 2 - Interesting but I wish I had gone for 2 Man. It's nice smelling but I think it would fit better on a woman. Not my style.

Gucci Envy - Reminds me of the soap dispensers in the bathrooms at my school. I'll probably steer clear. (Edit: after a bit of thinking a review reading I think I bought the ladies version instead of Envy for Men. =X woops lol)

I'm probably going to get a bottle of aqua di gio. I'm waiting on unforgivable, because I have a sample of Millesime Imperial on the way (along with SMW and GIT) and I guess they're supposed to be nearly the same thing? So I'll see which I like better before I make a buy.
    Last edited by JdPlumby; 16th January 2009 at 08:58 PM.

How about Jacomo for men (Jacomo Silver)?

"Jacomo for Men was first introduced in 2007 as an oriental woody fragrance. Creator, Mathilde Bijaoui, offered top notes of flauntingly fresh and sweet pineapple and citruses, featuring sharp notes of black pepper. The heart is also spiced and sharp, wrapped in accords of pimento, coffee, plum and nutmeg. The base consists of Tonka bean, amber and vetiver."

Smooth and subtle, but very pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Well first of all Welcome to basenotes!
    By researching fragrances you have already made a greater effort than most other people do and the list with your sample certainly is a pretty good start.
    Many BNs have started their cologne journey because of the ladies but for most of them this great hobby has developed such an automotive that they now mostly wear it for themselves in the first place.
    Anyway, this being said, your reaction to the Guerlain fragrance is coherent, Guerlain is not as easy to appreciate as other designer fragrances, same probably applies to the M7, however the Sean John and Aqua di Gio should do your intentions justice regarding the effect you are looking for and they are "easier to like".
    just one more tip, dont give up in the other samples right after the first sniff!
    The sensitivity of the nose is increasing by the times you awaringly use the sense of smell and you might end up liking those "50-y-o-frags/teacher-stuff" more than you would imagine right now.
    Great response!! Go with what timaru said ...and welcome to Basenotes!!

Yeah I mean you can't really go WRONG with Acqua Di Gio. *sprays some on* Yeah it's everywhere, but it smells fresh and girls love it. Now not every girl is gonna like fragrance, and they're not all gonna like that one. That said, a year ago in high school, I was sitting behind my friend and I was wearing ADG, and she randomly turns around "OH MY GOD YOU SMELL SO FREAKING AMAZING I JUST WANNA...WANNA...I DONT EVEN KNOW!!!" haha

Another one that girls our age (I'm recently 19) love is Abercrombie&Fitch Fierce. I dunno why they love it so much. It's an okay scent, nothing spectacular, but they know it from the store, and they LOVE it on a guy. It has much greater sillage than ADG in my opinion as well.

I've noticed a lot of the members here dislike these two based on their popularity and the fact that there are truly tons of better fragrances out there. More complex ones anyways.

But! You're trying to snag the high school chicas! Those'll do it. They'll get you compliments anyways, you can't just pick up girls with the fragrance alone. Lay your game down and those'll boost it guaranteed.

Just got back from work and the peoples there like the M7 surprisingly. Also just wondering if somebody can give an opinion on creed Millésime as I saw somebody post that it is very similar to sean john unforgivable.

Ahhh.. young jedi knight. Forget everything you've read thus far. jk..

The ones suggested that I second are:
    Allure Homme Sport
    Versace Pour Homme (try Eau Fraiche as well)

My suggestion:
    Armani Code

May the force be with you. Or is it, live long and prosper.. whatever

Quote Originally Posted by JdPlumby View Post
    I'm probably going to get a bottle of aqua di gio. I'm waiting on unforgivable, because I have a sample of Millesime Imperial on the way (along with SMW and GIT) and I guess they're supposed to be nearly the same thing? So I'll see which I like better before I make a buy.
    If you have the money at your age to buy Creed... Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mengels View Post
    Yeah I mean you can't really go WRONG with Acqua Di Gio. *sprays some on* Yeah it's everywhere, but it smells fresh and girls love it. Now not every girl is gonna like fragrance, and they're not all gonna like that one. That said, a year ago in high school, I was sitting behind my friend and I was wearing ADG, and she randomly turns around "OH MY GOD YOU SMELL SO FREAKING AMAZING I JUST WANNA...WANNA...I DONT EVEN KNOW!!!" haha

Another one that girls our age (I'm recently 19) love is Abercrombie&Fitch Fierce. I dunno why they love it so much. It's an okay scent, nothing spectacular, but they know it from the store, and they LOVE it on a guy. It has much greater sillage than ADG in my opinion as well.

I've noticed a lot of the members here dislike these two based on their popularity and the fact that there are truly tons of better fragrances out there. More complex ones anyways.

But! You're trying to snag the high school chicas! Those'll do it. They'll get you compliments anyways, you can't just pick up girls with the fragrance alone. Lay your game down and those'll boost it guaranteed.
    I think it's because every time they walk by the A&F store, they see the shirtless dude at around the same time they smell the fragrance. So they associate the two. I personally have very strong identifiers there. But when I get the fragrance out of the store, I get really, really upset with myself that I even considered it.

I think Colden is actually the superior A&F fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbombastic View Post
    Just got back from work and the peoples there like the M7 surprisingly. Also just wondering if somebody can give an opinion on creed Millésime as I saw somebody post that it is very similar to sean john unforgivable.
    One major difference is the price tag...

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    My suggestion:
    Armani Code

May the force be with you. Or is it, live long and prosper.. whatever
    Also a good choice. Not my style but it smells really good for date nights...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke A View Post
    If you have the money at your age to buy Creed... Wow.
    I used to get a lot of hours at my job, so I have quite a bit saved up. =) I'd buy a bottle if I liked it enough, but yes the MI would have to be quite a bit better than unforgivable for me to splurge like that haha.

im gonna get me some creed too!