Code of Conduct

Red face Dreams of Spring

I'm having visions of spring, both in reality and in fantasy. There is a potted Daphne shrub just outside my back door whose buds are taunting me. And just down the road, in the neighbor's field, there is a new family of teensy-tiny baby goats. Oh, they are cute! Here in northern California, winter is just beginning to lose its power.

My SotD is Lalique's FLORA BELLA, which I bought blind for not much money. It is an airy floral creation by my current favorite perfumer, Bertrand Duchaufour. It's very pretty! Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still loving my winter fragrances, but (being a future-oriented ENTJ, LOL) right now I'm fantasizing about what's around the corner.

So are you dreaming about the fragrances you will wear this spring? Besides my brand-new FLORA BELLA, I'm particularly looking forward to these:

Ormonde Jayne CHAMPACA
    Etro DIANTHUS
    Henry Dunay SABI
    Frederic Malle EN PASSANT
    Les Parfums de Rosine POUSSIERE DE ROSE

How about you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dreams of Spring

I am thinking about fresh fruit. I just got Aqua Viva by Profumum Already addicted to Eau D'Hadrien, I want an even stronger lemon trip & this is it! Then I also got Tangerine Vert from Miller Harris another tangy citrus to chase away the blues. D & L co.'s Thornapple is on the way. It is a crisp, green apple that has a somewhat woody base. Very spring-like. I am also going to enjoy all the Apres L'Ondee & Quand la Pluie I've been waiting for the right mood to hit me. If it's too cold, the delicate scents get lost.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th January 2009 at 01:05 AM.

It was nearly spring-like, yesterday. Today it is cold again! But, I am ready for spring and the onslaught of baby birds falling out of their nests! Last spring, I found one on the sidewalk. Not even feathers yet. I brought it to the local wildlife rescue, because I simply don't have time to feed something mashed worms every 2 hours. Our local wildlife rescue does a great job. A few years ago, I found a baby duckling that couldn't hop over the highway median. He was released to our local lake, and I'm sure he's had a few ducklings of his own.

I've been amassing florals that I like, in order to wear them for April! (April is Floral Sniff and Speak Month!)

Before Basenotes, I never would have thought myself a floral lover. Not at all. All of the ones I list below were happy accidental finds, from samples that someone gifted me.

The ones I like:
    1. Prowl by Neil Morris (Others say this is musky, or tea-like, but I get mostly gardenia and jasmine sambac.)
    2. Josephine by Rance (It's kind of a fruity floral. . . I never thought I'd like a fruity floral either! It must be the vanilla that makes it all okay.)
    3. Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher (today's wonderful find)

Cheating florals:
    1. Rose 31 (I think I'm cheating saying this is a floral, because it's maybe more gourmand, or oriental?)
    2. Montana Parfum d'Homme (It's got carnation in it. . . .)

Dreaming...oh yes I am, when spring comes I'll be spritzing the Verte Violette ~ Antonia's Flowers ~
    A La Nuit ~ Kai ~Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia ~ Gold Donna Karan ~
    Pure Turquoise ~ which covers the violets, freesia, jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, lilies and assorted greens! I'll also be on the look out for any other flowers I can purchase between now and the big thaw!

* Just thought I'd let you all know, as I type this post it is 3 degrees
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 25th January 2009 at 02:02 AM.

For spring I look forward to wearing my Annick Goutals: Eau de Camille and Eau du Ciel. I will also wear Fresh Scents by Terri Breathe perfume oil. I may buy Jo Malone French Lime Blossom which I have liked for a long time, and when I recently retried it, I found it captivating.

Blog Entries

Another vote for citrus here! And Annick Goutal, too!. They just don't appeal to me so much right now, but I have this yearning for them, so I know what's happening. I'm definitely getting itchy for a change in weather. It was fun breaking out all the big, deep scents that I had resisted all year, but it's starting to get ridiculous. I would almost wear my Acqua di Gio if we had a nice hot day. (No promises, but you never know...)

I'm curious about Thornapple - is a thornapple the same as a hedgeapple? Hedgeapples remind me of warmer weather, even if they don't start rolling around until a bit later in the year. I'm not sure I'd classify those as citrus, either, but seeing one of those on a bicycle ride sure sounds good. I'll go see what the directory says about that one!

Blog Entries

It's fresh & different. http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...orn_apple.html
    I first tried their Absinthe candle from this series at Candle Delirium, but it came so beautifully packaged, I couldn't bear to open it, at least not until I take its picture. It smells incredible, too.
    That makes sense that it is Hedge Apples they mean here, not eattin' apples. That explains the fresh green thing. Thanks for pointing that out R.P.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th January 2009 at 05:09 AM.

Looking forward to my giant bottle of 4711

Really, though, I think my major cologne love is Chanel Eau de Cologne.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    It's fresh & different. http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...orn_apple.html
    I first tried their Absinthe candle from this series at Candle Delirium, but it came so beautifully packaged, I couldn't bear to open it, at least not until I take its picture. It smells incredible, too.
    That makes sense that it is Hedge Apples they mean here, not eattin' apples. That explains the fresh green thing. Thanks for pointing that out R.P.
    Now THAT'S an interesting company. Death by Chocolate in Latin? Wow. Thanks for putting that one on my niche radar!

Blog Entries

Redneck, Thank-you! for finding that website! Their selection is much better than Candle Delirium.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th January 2009 at 05:44 AM.

Ooh, spring. I HATE winter, so looking forward I am.
    MJ Blush - a pretty, simple, clean jasmine with a touch of mint/green.
    Bvlgari Au Thé Rouge - once it arrives. Pretty much for all seasons, but I can see it doing great in spring.
    AL Moroccan Mint Tea - need I say more..?
    Also looking forward to giving Hiris another whirl, and seeing if I like it better in warmer weather.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Annick Goutal Folavril and Eau de Charlotte have been my spring favourites for years: it's always a joy to wear them!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

As of this minute, I'm thinking Diorissimo, Désir de Nature (Yves Rocher), Beyond Paradise, Pleasures, No. 5 Eau Premiere, and I'd love to find a cheery light hearted cherry blossom fragrance. I might need to make a visit to Bed Bath & Beyond [I mean Bath & Body Works - I always confuse those two!] or L'Occitane. So...florals I suppose.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 25th January 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Winter is still alive and well here in the Midwest, with day/night temps running low teens/low twenties all this week. Groan.

I may spring for a bottle of Sisley's Eau de Campagne to remind me of my soon-to-be-revived vegetable garden. And come April or so, I'll be stealing some spritzes of The Pour Un Ete from my wife's perfume counter. Both of those fragrances personify Spring to me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

We reached 40°F last week, but now it's back to single digits and sub-zero. That's just cruel.

Like kumquat, I'm looking forward to fresh fruit: mainly Mûre et Musc Extrême and that sparkling Pink Grapefruit. For fresh & green, I'll be reaching for Gucci Envy & Yves Rocher Bambou.

Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Annick Goutal Folavril and Eau de Charlotte have been my spring favourites for years: it's always a joy to wear them!
    I totally agree! I wore Folavril on Saturday in hopes it would cheer me up and trick my brain into thinking Spring was around the corner.

When I'm in that "longing for spring" mood, I haul out Roger & Gallet Pour Femme. It's a white floral with green notes, crisp and elegant. It makes me think of buds opening and orchards bursting into blossom.

There's a certain point in winter in New England when I start to grave GREEN. I think I hit it recently. Yesterday I wore L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane, which was a perfect fix: fresh, green, floral, earthy.

I also tested the new LesNez Manoumalia, which is a beautiful humid green floral, perfect for dreaming of spring.

Last week I also found myself wanting a nice juicy citrus scent, which is something I never wear. I think I'll need to have one or two on hand for these winter cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    There's a certain point in winter in New England when I start to grave GREEN. I think I hit it recently. Yesterday I wore L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane, which was a perfect fix: fresh, green, floral, earthy.

I also tested the new LesNez Manoumalia, which is a beautiful humid green floral, perfect for dreaming of spring...
    Sucrose, I wore Fleur de Liane yesterday, too! It did satisfy a craving for me - I just love it! And I think I have a sample of Manoumalia coming - glad to hear that you liked it.

It's fun to read what fragrances everyone's craving at this time of year. I guess it's a little early, but I'm sure ready for winter to GO AWAY.
    Last edited by Haunani; 26th January 2009 at 09:33 PM.

I'd go for Jour de Fete, if I could track down a bottle. This smells quite a bit like Caron Farnesiana, but with that sharp wheat note and with less dampness.

En Passant is a spring mainstay for me. In summer, I go for thick and sultry tropicals that are as humid as the weather here (trees sweat from their trunks, like bodies), but in spring I like something a bit fresher and more transparent.

I was just thinking about this today!

I'm looking forward to spritzing Floris Gardenia and will more than likely find some new scents to wear for spring along with it. AG Folavril has been on my radar screen and I even purchased a bar of mango soap the other day in the event I decide to go for a FB.

Thornapple sounds really interesting, Red, I'm going to check that out! Never heard of it!!