Code of Conduct

Default Which One of These Is Your Favorite Geo. F. Trumper?

A friend of my called last week to say he had recently added colognes to his addiction to high-end shaving products, and wanted to come to my house for a sit-down sniffing. We had a nice, two-hour marathon and I got to pull out fragrances that I hadn't smelled for a long time. I would spray every bottle (that I pulled out) on a sheet of paper and write down what it was, so if I decided he liked it, he could get his own bottle. I also decanted him ones that he picked out, including:

Divine PH Sage, Guerlain Vetiver, Cacharel Nemo, Knize 10 and a few more. I didn't give him any because I didn't have enough, but he also really liked Clive Christian's #1.

Anyhow, this guy is a total Anglophobe and had been buying exclusively English scents. He brought me some vials of Trumper frags, and as I'm wearing my SOTD I haven't actually worn them. Which do you think are the best, and which do you think have the best lasting power? I noted that most of them are labeled "cologne," so I'm not much expecting a lot of power.

1) Portugal
    2) Ajaccio Violet
    3) Astor
    4) Wellington
    5) GFT
    6) Spanish Leather
    7) Sandalwood
    8) Skye
    9) Curzon
    10) Eucris

And, oh yeah, to thank him for his thoughtfulness, in addition to decanting him the above-mentioned frags, I also gave him 10 ML of Patou PH! He'd never heard of it, being a fragrance newbie, but left with a big smile on his face! And if you're reading this, thanks again.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 25th January 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Default Re: Which One of These Is Your Favorite Geo. F. Trumper?

GFT Sandalwood cologne is my favorite...Its a long lasting beautiful creamy sandalwood....not as heavy as Egoiste....I use it on days when Egoiste would seem to stuffy to wear......Recently I got myself a bunch of decants from the entire GFT range....I still haven't found time to try them out but I tried GFT Lavender and didnt quite like it...it was like a lavender air freshner....too synthetic....I will try to test them and report back...However I am sure there is nothing in there that could displace Sandalwood cologne.

Spanish leather is another offering from GFT that catches my attention.....I wouldn't want a full bottle but a decant....sure....

Well if we're talking Trumper I'm IN!!
    I own and love the following:
    (1) Wild Fern. A wonderful, perky-green fougere. A delightful spring scent. Men and women can wear it.
    (2) Curzon. A dusky green chypre. Interesting, haunting notes.
    (3) Astor.
    (4) Eucris The last two are nice woody-spice scents. Eucris is the more powerful of the two, with a good dollop of cumin.

Peace be unto the Sandalwood, to my taste it is too sweet, creamy and vanilla-laden. But that is my own taste, not a blanket condemnation. Many love it.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I got a bunch of samples from Trumper last year. I particularly liked Eucris, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to getting a bottle or even a decant. The biggest surprise was Eau de Quinine, which I liked more than I expected.

Blog Entries

Eucris has probably the best lasting power, followed by Spanish Leather and Sandalwood. Besides these three, GFT, Ajaccio Violets, Wild Fern and Curzon are must tries from Trumper's. Having said that, Eucris and GFT are probably the only ones that can go toe to toe with comparable offerings from Penhaligon's.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution

Sandalwood is my fav'.

I own and love Sandalwood Cologne, and have always wanted to try Eucris.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I had a store near my work which stocked all the Trumpers scents. I tested all on my wrists, but was a bit underwhelmed by the lasting power of most, at around three hours (which equates to probably an extra hour or two under clothes).

Finally I bought at relatively high price Sandwood Cologne and Fougena (I passed on Eucris, even though it was a bigger bottle than the Sandalwood, going for the same price) which had a bit more endurance in them. I also picked up Skye, Wild Fern, Silvester and Wellington dirt cheap, when the store was having a relocation sale.
    Renato

Eucris is the only one I've found FBW, but I find that I rarely wear it. I haven't tried Spanish Leather. I love the Trumper Violets shaving cream, but the Ajaccio Violet cologne is too weak for me. I'm not a big Penhaligan's fan either. Maybe I'm just not a big English frag fan. I seem to prefer the French and the Italians.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 25th January 2009 at 02:59 PM.

My favorites in the line are Eucris, a bold spicy wood, Curzon, a potent dry chypre, Spanish Leather, which leans more towards a clean soapy leather, and Wild Fern, which is similar to the sadly discontinued Crown Fougere. Astor and Marlborough also merit consideration. For eau de Portugal scents, I much prefer Penhaligon's Douro (and Crown's discontinued Imperial) to the Trumper. Ajaccio Violet and Skye are excellent summer scents but have poor longevity for the asking price. Wellington is closely related to the classic Blenheim Bouquet, but sadly neither work on my skin. GFT and Sandalwood are Trumper's modern scents, and while they are quality products, I like them much less than the older work.

Curzon is my favorite followed by Spanish Leather amd then Sandalwood

GFT, although I haven't smelled Ajaccio Violets yet.
    Question for everyone who's smelled Ajaccio Violets...
    ...does it focus more on the flower, or the leaf ?

Funny, after my friend left I realized I had a bottle of Trumper's Sandalwood. Him being a newb, I had him compare the sandalwood in Trumpers and Art of Shaving. He was shocked by the difference. AOS is a sharp, "purer" sandalwood while Trumpers is creamy and rich.

I bought Trumper Sandalwood thanks to many good reviews here, and while I like it, I far prefer Santal Nobel by MPG. Of course, the preference for sandalwood is a whole 'nother thread...
    Last edited by Butthead53; 26th January 2009 at 01:28 AM.

Sandalwood, well, well done, but on me, a bit too sweet/vanilla
    GFT, also well done, but lemony.
    Royal is no longer made but I did think it lasted well.

Skye, well I have some Coronis hair dressing which is based on the Skye scent. This would be a fun summer cologne, and it lasts less than Acqua di Parma Colonia. If it was half priced, I could see me getting this if I had a mid afternoon affair in summer and did not need something overpowering nor particular long lived past three hours.

I tried GFT Marlborough today and am quite liking it....very simple scent.....starts with a burst of rose from where it moves on to sandalwood with the rose still in the background........it reminds me of a sandalwood soap that I used to use years ago....I think that this is quite elegant.....not loud at all....very quiet.......good for office wear for sure.......I like it....If I come across a bottle, cheap, I'd surely get it.

GFT for me.Citrus,but the Tarragon just adds something extra to it.

Sandalwood Cologne, my SoTD, is my favorite of the Trumper line. I'm very happy to have a 50ml bottle of this.

Spanish Leather for me.

Ajaccio Violet, hands down. Actually the only one I would say I liked it.

Excellent - a Trumper thread . I love my Trumpers.
    They have been cheapened a little in recent years since they ceased to manufacture them in house (which they did until recently) and with scarcity of ingredients (lots of trumpers have sandalwood notes). still lots of good moss and other stuff in there though .

My opinions on the ones you list:
    1) Portugal- Very nice, natural smelling bitter orange and cologne like top notes. Ruined for me by the musk in the base which smells a little cheap. I bet this used to be awesome a long time ago with good musks.

2) Ajaccio Violet- not qualified to comment due to my aversion to violet scents.

3) Astor - Wonderful, old style cologne. Aldehydic florals, citrus, pine, moss, sandalwood. Very good longevity for this style of frag.

4) Wellington - havn't smelled it

5) GFT - Amazing longevity for a citrus. Great lemon note, however I don't get on with the herbals in it too well. Definitely worth a good test as if it hits the spot for you, it could hit it hard.

6) Spanish Leather - absolutely brilliant soapy, cologny, complex, highly blended leather. Deep, rich and all the facets of a british masculine in one place. Strong and manly yet light and warm. Makes me wonder why I bother with other colognes.

7) Sandalwood - wonderful rich, sweet, sandalwood scent. Similar to egoiste but minus the chanel aldehydes and more built around the quality of sandalwood. I prefer it. I see its composition as the "stretching out" of facets of the sandalwood - e.g the creaminess is stretched into vanilla (not a lot of vanilla though). It is like the sandalwood note sits in the middle and the other ingredients form an umbra of santal.

8) Skye - pretty good but not really for me. Nice, slightly "ozonic" heart of geranium and ylang ylang. Some good moss and lots of musk with some nice dry rosemary. The nearest to a modern interpretation of "fresh" the trumpers get.

9) Curzon - great, simple, powdery, light chypre note is exactly it. Old school hazy lemon and moss with a little spice and a brief muted floral heart of muguet, jasmine and a touch of ylang. Direct.

10) Eucris - in my opinion a classic. Very complex, seems to reveal different things depending on weather, amount worn, splashed or sprayed, lots of animalic notes (blackcurrant, moss, cumin) tempered by a very pretty heart of jasmine and muguet and light freshness.

Also some you didn't list -

Wild fern - my favourite of the classic old fougeres, softer and more cheerful than the austere (but very fine) penhaligons fern. Wonderful bergamot note.

Bay Rum - my favourite bay rum. So smooth, deeply clovey (apparently this cloviness is actually from bay berries?), natural smelling, masculine. Perfect.

Lavender Water - this is a fabulous woody lavender with a little patchouli, lots of animalic moss, anmd some brightness from mint and citrus. The lavender notes can seem a little screechy initially with the citrus but once it settles into balance with the moss it is fresh perfection, I.M.O.

Extract of Limes - a short blast of citrus perfection. Captures the fresh green quality of lime perfectly. Actually I find if I use a lot, it can last the day (with these sort of frags, I need about 3-5ml per application which is why I buy 500ml bottles of it ).

Eau de Quinine - quite a mild quinine, powdery and softly bitter with rosemary. Same incredible bergamot note as wild fern, potugal and others.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 26th January 2009 at 09:57 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews