Code of Conduct

Default Carnal Flower: Do you Like The Dry-down?

I'm on the verge of buying Carnal Flower, but I'm a bit concerned about the final stages of the dry-down. While some of the Tuberose/Jasmine is still there, the final stage smell cheap, like musk/generic shampoo. Turin claims the formula is Tuberose/Jasmine floating on a complicated support system of synthetics.
    Any thoughts out there?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th January 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: Carnal Flower: Do you Like The Dry-down?

may..i ..post... my...thoughts.....?

whenever i do make my Malle purchase(hopefully in this lifetime)(i do not have any at this stage)..french lover would be the first one i'd go for, Noir Epices second.. carnal flower the third. shimmering floral. an impression so darn realistic...*bows*. bottomline..i love this one all the way.

Carnal Flower was the first tuberose I loved, because it didn't have an overly sweet quality like some others. I ended up finding Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia shortly after discovering CF, and ultimately favored it (for myself) over the Malle. I think Carnal Flower is one of the few florals out there (esp. tuberose) that a man can pull off well. I didn't find anything off putting about it, synthetics or not.

may i sneak in tom ford velvet gardenia

As usually i ll start by saying that CF is my favorite frag ever , of the 150 i ve owned and the maybe 1500 ? i ve tested since two years.

I ve never smelled anything cheap in the drydown. The coconut is still present, it has really this kind of solar feeling that i ve never seen with any other fragrance.

I ve never had any kind of shampoo smell in the final dry down.

Also, the longevity is simply amazing (27% concentration). On clothes, it can last 2 or 3 weeks, and 48 hours on the skin. Amazing fragrance
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

That "complicated system of synthetics" is methyl salicylate (for the eucalyptus note), a synthetic for the melon note, and ofcourse (synthetic) white musk which forms a large % of the drydown. I guess the drydown could be more dramatic/complex.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    That "complicated system of synthetics" is methyl salicylate (for the eucalyptus note), a synthetic for the melon note, and ofcourse (synthetic) white musk which forms a large % of the drydown. I guess the drydown could be more dramatic/complex.
    Thanks for the breakdown, ZZ.
    I sprayed myself with Carnal Flower after a shower last night and this morning was when I smelled the sweet, cheap white musk base on my arm. I didn't take a shower, it is 17 degrees out, but I changed my t-shirt and sprayed Vierges et Toreros over the body parts where Carnal Flower was applied and went out to brunch. While I could distinctly smell the VeT, Carnal Flower's tuberose and coconut note, keeps wafting out, in tact, as well.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th January 2009 at 08:38 PM.

Blog Entries

As I remember CF was a pretty accurate rendition of an Oriental Lily. An overpowering smell up close. Only enjoyable in small doses from far away. It is meant to attract bees! There are so many kinds of musks that turn into "cling-ons" and you are referring to this as a cheap (syn) white musk. It makes my head throb just to think of it. Maybe you ought to get a small spray decant and apply liberally before plunging into this one.

Off-Scenter

Like the drydown very much, thank you. I get sandalwood, clean musk, and a very light, dry vanillic component. I'll also second ubuandibeme's assertion that a man can pull this off, though it takes some bravery and a certain disdain of conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Like the drydown very much, thank you. I get sandalwood, clean musk, and a very light, dry vanillic component. I'll also second ubuandibeme's assertion that a man can pull this off, though it takes some bravery and a certain disdain of conventions.
    I bought a bottle of Carnal Flower two years ago while in Dallas. I was wearing it all weekend and my buddies liked it alot. I also sat next to a nice woman on my flight back to Memphis, and actually asked her (after getting to know her), if she thought the fragrance I was wearing was appropriate for a man...she said it smelled wonderful and that it was masculine on me. So the moral of this story? I am SO masculine in my skin chemistry that I made Carnal Flower great on me! Grrrr...Yep I am kinda butch like that I guess.

Now bring on the Jungle Gardenia baby! Let see if I can tame that one. Yes, I have indulged in 'Perfume Drag' once or twice.
    Seriously, Carnal Flower can be worn by some men...I personally never got totally comfortable with it for some reason. Obviously, with this one it was me and not the CF.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th January 2009 at 04:14 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Carnal Flower: Do you Like The Dry-down?

I like very much CARNAL FLOWER ( I am a huge fan of FREDERIC MALLE PERFUMES ), it is noticeable and long lasting, and i do not have any sensation of syntetics when i wear it.
    But if you like tuberose go for Piguet's FRACAS
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes