Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do you guys also tend to dress the part?

Are you guys lounging around with a Buffalo Bills sweatshirt with pizza stains on it and a beer belly while wearing Chergui or Habit Rouge, or do you tend to dress better than average person as well, to match the fragrance?

Curious, as I'm wearing sweatpants right now about to go to the grocery store while wearing Aqua di Parma - pretty odd combo.
    Last edited by union1411; 25th January 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Default Re: Do you guys also tend to dress the part?

Yes I dress the part. For instance, when I don't wear any fragrance I don't wear any clothes.

When I started figuring out fragrances it was part of a project to look and be better, so, yes, back then. I still make myself look nice in clothes regularly, and on occasion I do dress up to match a scent that I think is fantastic, but at the same time the real me comes out and I too wear the good stuff (like Acqua di Parma) with whatever sloppy clothes I feel comfortable in.

So for me there's no hard rule or regular action. Some of both, I'd say. I like occasions to dress up and like matching them with spectacular scents, but I also like a spectacular scent just for itself and think it's fun to wear with long underwear and sweatshirts too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

That's an interesting mental image: pizza stains, beer bellies and Chergui. Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;-)

I wager most people, if they take the time and trouble to wear perfume, would "dress the part," as you put it.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I don't think i can say it any better than our esteemed moderator DustB.
    All I can do is say I agree with every word.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    Are you guys lounging around with a Buffalo Bills sweatshirt with pizza stains on it and a beer belly while wearing Chergui or Habit Rouge, or do you tend to dress better than average person as well, to match the fragrance?

Curious, as I'm wearing sweatpants right now about to go to the grocery store while wearing Aqua di Parma - pretty odd combo.
    I do not wear t-shirts nor sweat shirts; I hate stains on my clothes, I change them if I stained and I do not like beer. Anyway, when slopy I wear worn out clothes.

However, on informal occasions I wear low priced or realy old scents: Dana's Canoe, Old Spice, Agua de Lavanda Puig, Puig's Vetiver, Agua Brava, Adolfo Dominguez' Vetiver, Zara's Vetiver, Zara's Sándalo and Zara'sAmbré, or my Grandpa's Carnaval au Venice.
    Last edited by Pollux; 25th January 2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Addition

Contrasts are nice. I like the idea of sweatpants and AdP Colonia . I'm not really interested in clothes and usually I just wears jeans and t-shirt, but sometimes fragrances inspires me and I really wished I had something more proper to wear. Just saw the movie Eyes Wide Shut and I really liked the way Tom Cruise was dressed in that movie, imaging what fragrance he would wear .

Part of the fun in the process of finding and using different fragrances, is matching them to the appropriate occasion. For use with a pizza stained sweatshirt and beer belly, one of the "Sport" fragrances might be a nice ironic pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    Part of the fun in the process of finding and using different fragrances, is matching them to the appropriate occasion. For use with a pizza stained sweatshirt and beer belly, one of the "Sport" fragrances might be a nice ironic pick.
    Slob = "Cochon" in French (Pig)

Dior Homme Cochon?
    Kouros "Eau de Cochon"?
    Caron's "Pour Un Cochon"
    Tauer's "L'Air du Cochon Americain"

Someone is going to take that personal ^
    I tend to dress better than the average person, and I am also less trendy. However, that has nothing to do with perfume. I really do not make many associations between formal wear vs. certain family of scents. I use platinum Egoiste with a formal suit because of its sillage, and I like to use bulgari black with my leather jacket, but that is about it.

For me, clothes and perfumes are two different universes, in spite of whatever designer brands say.

I am not a big fan of the "perfume is there to project a persona" philosophy.
    Last edited by irish; 25th January 2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Enjoyable thread! Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. For instance, I simply can't imagine wearing Tiffany For Men with my French Godzilla t-shirt. Although I am wearing L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme with it right now, and I have worn Tokyo by Kenzo with it on several occasions!

Some scents do seem to "dress down" nicely for me in public. Tom Ford Extreme goes well with jeans or fancier stuff. And when I'm not going to meet anybody, I'll wear almost any scent.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Yes I dress the part. For instance, when I don't wear any fragrance I don't wear any clothes.
    Keep wearing fragrance, please.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I tend to choose a nicer fragrance to wear with formal attire or something I wouldn't reach for very often to sort of enhance the experience. I think it's easier to wear a casual fragrance while dressed up rather than my "formal fragrances" with casual attire.

It's hard for me to imagine kicking around in jeans and a t-shirt wearing Bois du Portugal or something. That said I think I've worn AdP Colonia on grocery runs myself...

When out of the house, I dress far above what passes for "average" male dressing these days-- both for business or casual. At home, it's whatever fits the occasion or situation. Fragrance for me is part of the "whole cloth" or whole picture if you will, absolutely.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

No hard and fast rules. As the mood and circumstance dictates
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I am all over the map with clothes. I don't let my choice in clothes for the day affect my choice in fragrance.

I happen to like old-fashioned English Tweed suits and Jermyn Street shirts, Paisley ties and fine shoes, and they happen to match well with many of the serious masculines I like to wear, from Czech and Speake to Creed's old classics, Adp and so many others. When wearing a modern outfit (like a deep blue Montana jacket with Costume Nationale trousers) I'd probably match that with a Comme des Garcons shirt. So yes, these things go together fo me. But of course, once you know the rules, you can break them in interesting ways....
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love pairing my Derby, Tiffany for Men, or Dior Homme with boxer shorts, a 'wife beater' tank top, and slippers. That's high class here in Texas.... but then again so is living in a home that doesn't have a transmission.

Interesting post. Usually rely on the weather or the event(s) of the day rather than my clothing. I am rather casual in my attire and rarely need to wear a suit, so the formality of the situation really rarely applies. I just wear what "feels right" as mikeperez stated the other day.

I work from a home studio, and thus am often dagging around in jeans and a tee whilst wearing, for example: Vetiver Extraordinaire or Rancé 1795's Le Vainqueur.

I also wear scents in the evening after showering, and thus could be wearing anything whilst slothing around the house in a tee and boxers.

If Ive planned an excursion, I often dress first, and then match a fragrance to suit the event or my attire. Seldom ever the other way around.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th January 2009 at 08:07 PM.

I rarely need to be dressed formal, so I tend to be attracted to scents that are versatile enough to be worn casually or dressy...

i kinda like wearing a sweatshirt running pants and chergui

I'm not rich by any means (just middle class white-collar worker) but I like the classy-expensive smelling perfumes. As such I dress up to match it - and it's serendipity that I'm getting this perfume obsession just after I know how to dress well.

Granted, it's not hard to dress better than most of the suited guys here even in Melbourne. Their main downfall is that even the very-well-suited Melburnian guys often wear fugly shoes (squared-toe and needlepointy shoemakers can all go to hell). I know I can talk about this because I was clueless when it comes to perfumes and dressing for 3 decades... for a time I even liked looser dress shirts, squared-toed shoes, and Gaultier's Le Male. But now I hate them all, so goes to show I've learned the errors of my old ways.

Off-Scenter

Unabashed clothes horse here , and I think of fragrance as a component of my outfit for the day. Jeans and T-shirt = Parfum d'Habit, Yatagan, Ciel, Ungaro II, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Chene, etc. Lots of leather, boots, stubble = Black Aoud, Or Black, Knize Ten, Intrigant Patchouli or tuberose (Carnal Flower, Tubereuse Criminelle) Silk shorts and print shirt = L'Anarchiste, Magnolia Romana, Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat, Bahiana, L'Eau de Ryokuei, or the like. Suit and tie? Santal Noble, Derby, Cuir de Russie, Dia, Iris Bleu Gris, Eau Lente, or Dongkha, for example.

You get my drift...though I'm not dogmatic about this, and I'll wear a given fragrance with many sorts of attire.

My clothing wardrobe consists of jeans, t-shirts, and a few polo's. I never have the occasion to dress-up much, so I haven't invested the money on fine clothing. One of my dreams though is to visit London's Saville Row and have a very fine suit tailored for me.

Blog Entries

yes.

dressing well is far more important than wearing a nice fragrance, IMO.

what's the point in wearing a $220 bottle of Odori Cuoio and wearing jeans (i don't wear jeans anyways....ever...ick) and a sweatshirt? UGH. I quite enjoy buying nice clothes though.....it's nice to have a nice selection of gear at all levels.
    Last edited by everso; 25th January 2009 at 10:54 PM.

I own one suit. It's really nice, but only one. Maybe a dozen ties, 5 collar shirts. I'm an odd size/fit, so suits that look good while I move are expensive and need to be tailored. Hence one.

70% of the time I'm in sneakers and shorts (playing ball) or sneakers and sweats (casual), hoodies unless it's summer. the other 29% is jeans and sneakers/tims.

I look great in the sweatpants/shorts I slept in and a white tee, so I always look the part of a $200 fragrance.

I can`t see myselves wearing L`Instant de Guerlain and Trussardi Inside at least without a nice, elegant iron shirt, and black or brown leather shoes.. My rules are: Elegant classy scent, elegant classy dress-code!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

When I go to work, I wear a coat and tie. Generally the same thing when I go out to eat at a special place. On other occasions, I just wear jeans and a shirt, with whatever outerwear is appropriate to the weather.

I wear what I like when I like when it comes to perfumes. So sometimes I look and smell elegant at the same time. Sometimes I look rather ordinary, dress-down middle-class, but smell extraordinary. Rarely I might look very good and smell mediocre.

I hardly ever go out really dressed down (as in sweatshirt or t-shirt and jeans), but occasionally if the weather is very hot, I might resort to shorts and a sandals with a tank-top; the truth is, it's hardly ever that warm in San Francisco where I live.

If I'm on vacation in the tropics, the shorts and sandals get worn with a silk short sleeve shirt, and the scents are generally pretty elegant or at least fresh and enlivening.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th January 2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I see it as all one package - if I'm going out I'll dress nice - (pretty rare where I live) I may wear something more formal. Whoever said that the clothes drive the fragrance.... well, that's me too. The exception, sort of, is work - even though I usually dress well at work I don't always wear formal type fragrances to work. With where I live and the nature of sitting in an office, my fragrance is really just for me. I'm actually allowed to wear jeans to work, which I do sometimes (though I have nice jeans, we're not talking Lee or Levis, here), and I don't think you can pair the wrong fragrance with a pair of nice jeans and a [Ben Sherman/Robert Graham/Nat Nast] shirt finished with a pair of drivers. Works with any fragrance.

I long for the day when I'm back in a northeast city and I would want to get dressed up to go out. For the few of you who know about the city where I live, well... you know there ain't nothing going on out here.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Rarely I might look very good and smell mediocre.
    Sorry if I do not believe you, but I really doubt that a person with your taste and wardrobe can ever smell mediocre.
    ===+++===+++===+++===+++===+++===+++===
    Today I am wearing an Old navy Sweatshirt, old jeans and my 2 year old shoes, which I have worn pretty much every day since I bought them (I love these shoes). I am also burning some Domenico Caraceni today. I figured that a suit and tie are too formal to be working on PLC's and pneumatic cylinders, but I feel good while using the most formal fragrance I have. Why should my love for fragrance be subjected to my clothes?
    Last edited by irish; 25th January 2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I was thinking about this just last night. I have a close shaved head, tattoos and a couple of facial piercings. I am well dressed in my own way, but definitely not a shirt and tie man. I wear Égoïste and feel that it suits me well. Also, I rather enjoy the idea that some uptight people would be bothered by this combination of appearance and fragrance.

I wear a suit about 3-4 days a week, but my dress runs the gamut from construction clothes (I am an engineer but do site work running projects both indoors and outdoors), to business casual (most days at the office). In general, I dress better than most of my peers. I regularly speak to groups of people ranging in size from a few people to several thousand people. I really did not wear fragrances at all for a long time, as some people are sensitive to them. I developed more of an interest in them in the last year, so here I am.

I should add that I do NOT wear fragrances while cycling!
    Last edited by CYoung234; 26th January 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Very interesting thread I wear what ever scent makes me happy that day really dont care what others think life is to short for that.

I like to have versatile fragrances since I dress casually and don't want to have a fragrance that only strikes images of sophisticated dinner parties. I dress for the weather more than anything. Right now I'm looking to get a warm weather fragrance.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Do you guys also tend to dress the part?

Dress well, smell well. You have to look like a duck as well as smell like a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    yes.

what's the point in wearing a $220 bottle of Odori Cuoio and wearing jeans (i don't wear jeans anyways....ever...ick) and a sweatshirt? UGH. I quite enjoy buying nice clothes though.....it's nice to have a nice selection of gear at all levels.

What? A leather whore who doesn't wear jeans???
    Last edited by knightowl; 26th January 2009 at 06:00 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

yes.

No denim ??!! I would have figured you wore jeans like every one else, they seem so "in", especially these last 7 years or so. What do you wear ?? Just slacks ? Don't take this the wrong way, It just seems that jeans are so versatile with fashion. Not to mention with leather scents (like Knize Ten).

I think I have definetly ignored my wardrobe ever since I started taking fragrances seriously. Its a mess and it needs to improve. Ah well, I need the $ for a bottle of YSL M7 Fresh and Gucci pour Homme. I'd rather have those 2 bottles than be dressing well. Besides, i can live with jeans and a longsleeve crew neck .

-

everso, I wouldn't have pegged you for a denim hater either, but my respect for you just shot up 100%. I lost interest in denim at least 15 years ago when I realized that they're just as expensive as more attractive pants, are hot in the summer, and everyone and their dog wear them. Same with tennis shoes, or whatever people call those tricked out abominations nowadays. But that's just my opinion...

Despite all efforts to the contrary, I find myself gravitating toward the style of clothing that my father wore when he was young- kind of a 60s vibe. Mostly Brooks Brothers casual - chinos or wool gabardine pants without pleats or cuffs, oxford shirts, leather sole shoes, that sort of thing. I'm sure the young pups in the office think I'm an ancient geek, but at this point I dress for my own comfort.

I don't pair fragrance with clothes. I have a hard enough time deciding what to put on in the morning as it is.

Later edit: I may have gone a bit overboard on the jeans bashing. Some people look smashing in them - especially gals. But they're definitely not me. I also forgot to mention that I began to dislike jeans when the "relaxed fit" style emerged.. No style in recent memory was more asinine and less flattering to the human body than relaxed jeans. Nice to see skinny jeans make a reappearance.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th January 2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

My fragrances and my clothes are very separate - I don't coordinate the two.

This is coming from someone who sprays on Shalimar Eau de Cologne by Guerlain before bedtime. To me, it smells great in my pajamas.

Wow, you denim haters are a weird crew.

To the original poster - yes, I do dress the part. And I love denim.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 27th January 2009 at 11:21 AM.

I match the perfume with the clothes. I'm a firm believer in the importance of presentation, and that includes casual wear.
    A guy with taste and good dress sense will look a million bucks even when dressed in jeans! The right fragrance will compliment this image.

Time to add a SERIOUS post.

When I need to go out in a suit for a wedding, a formal meeting, etc. I try to wear very nice smells that are unique but not overbearing because my actions and mannerisms in large gatherings are more important than scent. Stuff like Allure Homme, Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Burberry London, Homme de Gres and Isfarkand are my formal go-to frags.

Casual i.e. being with friends... I wear whatever because I'm not worried about them thinking I stink. And my friends are honest. That's why they are my friends. If they hate my cologne: too strong, ugly smell, doesn't work for me, etc. then I remember that and never wear it around them again. I can be in a t-shirt and jeans or a s/s button-down shirt and jeans or whatever.

Office wear I can be somewhat experimental. No one's ever bitched except the one time I spilled a vial of Opium in the bathroom. I had a great time explaining what I meant by "Opium". Ha. To the office I wear a polo shirt and nice pants. I fit my fragrance to be somewhat inoffensive.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Keep wearing fragrance, please.
    Musc Ravageur it is, then

I've been thinking about this very topic for a few days, and it's interesting that at least a few others have been, as well.

That said, I dress pretty casually all the time - work is a polo or oxford and khakis; relaxation is jeans and a black T shirt (yes, they're all black. No writing). I HATE stains, wrinkles and general sloppiness, so everything is pretty much ironed (no, not the jeans - but they're always dark and un-distressed). I guess I present a very "streamlined" look no matter what I wear.

I do classify fragrances as "work," "going out" and "weekend, " however - but I do mix genres occasionally. For example, for some reason, I think of Paco Rabanne PH as strictly "Saturday" but I wore it to work on Monday. It's funny how we associate scents, isn't it?
    Last edited by Bakerloo Line; 27th January 2009 at 01:47 PM.

I suppose you would want to match

A) What your wearing

B) The occasion

C) The weather

Not that playing the part would matter to much so B is admissible, I'd rather be fashionably inappropriate over generically appropriate any day.

Sadly not that many people would notice the wit instilled into the business meeting headlined Cost Cutting, when I arrive wearing XS

Or Very Irresistible to a tour of a Buddhist temple.

Perhaps fragrances are a narcissistic thing..

P/S I'm a denim addict, if you search for it you find pieces (yes they are art) that don't fit the criteria for the standard practical jeans. Dior Homme 2003-early 2008 (Hedi Slimane period) have my endorsement as did Tsubi (now in receivership), Rick Owens, Julius, Number (N)ine, etc.
    Last edited by ++++; 27th January 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

I've always been known as a dresser since I was young. Especially Polo and Harold Powell(Harolds)...RIP since all of its stores are now gone.....I'm the same now. Work is nice dress slacks...the all weather worsted wool. I wear button downs or summer Polos or pull over V-neck sweaters with the slacks but most are Ralph Lauren or the above company. Johnston & Murphy shoes. This is me at work and alot of the time. At home or the weekends I'm wearing the above shirts and jeans or shorts with Kenneth Cole slip on shoes, flip flops/Cole Haan sandals(with shorts) or my Red Wing boots. So I'm conservative in all of these ways but it is the way I have dressed since I was young.....with the exception of the suspender and tie years before they went out of style.

As for scents with this....I usually stick with ones that fit the season and can be worn in work or home environments.....though I'd be more willing to throw on a cheaper scent for house days. But for the most part I only have a few scents so they have to be good all around and they fit my style....though, besides PMR lately..I wear no RL fragrances.

So overall my scents are more season and they tend to be work/play ones....Burberry London...Bulgari Aqua.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th January 2009 at 02:09 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Wow, you denim haters are a weird crew.

To the original poster - yes, I do dress the part. And I love denim.
    I also dress the part, and love denim; tasteful denim that is. Minimal designs and distressing (or authentic looking distressing). Shout out to my dry APC new standards!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I've always been known as a dresser since I was young. Especially Polo and Harold Powell(Harolds)...RIP since all of its stores are now gone.....I'm the same now. Work is nice dress slacks...the all weather worsted wool. I wear button downs or summer Polos or pull over V-neck sweaters with the slacks but most are Ralph Lauren or the above company. Johnston & Murphy shoes. This is me at work and alot of the time. At home or the weekends I'm wearing the above shirts and jeans or shorts with Kenneth Cole slip on shoes, flip flops/Cole Haan sandals(with shorts) or my Red Wing boots. So I'm conservative in all of these ways but it is the way I have dressed since I was young.....with the exception of the suspender and tie years before they went out of style.

As for scents with this....I usually stick with ones that fit the season and can be worn in work or home environments.....though I'd be more willing to throw on a cheaper scent for house days. But for the most part I only have a few scents so they have to be good all around and they fit my style....though, besides PMR lately..I wear no RL fragrances.

So overall my scents are more season and they tend to be work/play ones....Burberry London...Bulgari Aqua.
    We pretty much have the same dress code Toughcool. In addition to RL and Harolds (yes I hit their going out of business sale pretty hard), I wear casual outdoor clothes on the weekends.( The North Face and Patagonia clothes mostly). I live a very casual lifestyle, but have no problems wearing a spritz of Heritage under a T-shirt and AG jeans with flip flops. Sometimes, I prefer the going against the grain attitude of wearing scents casually that others say are formal scents. I wear any scent in my drobe whenever I want really.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 27th January 2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    We pretty much have the same dress code Toughcool. In addition to RL and Harolds (yes I hit their going out of business sale pretty hard), I wear casual outdoor clothes on the weekends.( The North Face and Patagonia clothes mostly). I live a very casual lifestyle, but have no problems wearing a spritz of Heritage under a T-shirt and AG jeans with flip flops. Sometimes, I prefer the going against the grain attitude of wearing scents casually that others say are formal scents. I wear any scent in my drobe whenever I want really.
    Yeah that saddened me. I actually worked there for extra cash and clothes my first year in law school. My Mom also did when I was younger. I grew up with them as a kid and through now. They changed styles years ago and then tried to go back...casual wise and I think they lost customers this way. They used to have Polo, along with their own stuff and then they tried to get too "in with some things that didn't fit their style." They got cheap with materials too and things were falling apart. Their work stuff was pretty consistent and was a mainstay for my slacks. Anyways, I cleaned out some stuff too...great new sports coat for $90 that was $400............but I digress. I did forget to add that some of my casual stuff is Banana Republic too. RL Polo just fits me right, always has, and I load up at the RL outlet, etc.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th January 2009 at 05:43 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Yeah that saddened me. I actually worked there for extra cash and clothes my first year in law school. My Mom also did when I was younger. I grew up with them as a kid and through now. They changed styles years ago and then tried to go back...casual wise and I think they lost customers this way. They used to have Polo, along with their own stuff and then they tried to get too "in with some things that didn't fit their style." They got cheap with materials too and things were falling apart. Their work stuff was pretty consistent and was a mainstay for my slacks. Anyways, I cleaned out some stuff too...great new sports coat for $90 that was $400............but I digress. I did forget to add that some of my casual stuff is Banana Republic too. RL Polo just fits me right, always has, and I load up at the RL outlet, etc.
    Very cool that your family has such a connection to the store. In the early nineties Harolds had the neatest clothes; great looking shirts, shoes, belts...and then something changed I guess like you explained.

Toughcool with your style and taste in fragrance, I really hope that CDG - Vettiveru works for you. It just clicks for me so well. The drydown is so airy and casual. Do not be afraid to over apply this one though; it has really nice longevity. I also think that you would find Givenchy - Vetyver nice. You need a predominant vetiver frag man, you really do.

Very cool that your family has such a connection to the store. In the early nineties Harolds had the neatest clothes; great looking shirts, shoes, belts...and then something changed I guess like you explained.

Toughcool with your style and taste in fragrance, I really hope that CDG - Vettiveru works for you. It just clicks for me so well. The drydown is so airy and casual. Do not be afraid to over apply this one though; it has really nice longevity. I also think that you would find Givenchy - Vetyver nice. You need a predominant vetiver frag man, you really do.
    More than I even explained!!Not only did I shop there, have my Mom work and then me work there in 1993 but I continued to help them out as I moved around practicing law. I had worked some nights at the Austin Outlet for them because I knew the manager well. I worked at the Dallas Highland Park store to help them out while working another job. And I worked late 90s in another Houston one...Town & Country to help the manager at nights....friends with her too. It was mostly for my discount. This one is the one close to my work right now and I went over there before they closed because the same manager and Men's manager who is 75 or so, still worked there. So it was sad to know that many people I had worked with would be out of work. It was a joy to do something so fun on the side while also having my regular career. In fact they asked me to change careers and join the company but not good money, long hours and dealing with too many issues.

But you were right on. The store was the place to be and their Midnight Madness Sales in the early days with kegs and food and all were a blast. All of their stuff was great. I think besides changing their style for a year or two and the quality later...they also had problems keeping a true CEO and they flipped yearly after Harold and the family stopped running the show.

I hope I like it too. I am really looking for some Vetiver to suit me. It really has my mind wandering since I couldn't get into Guerlain.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th January 2009 at 06:12 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

I couldn't get into Guerlain Vetiver either. I have bought 3 bottles over the years and sold all of them.
    Sorry to all, no intentions to hijack the thread.
    Great and insightful subject. Everso??? What up?? No Denim man? You kidding me?
    Cuiron rocks a pair of great jeans, a polo and Tod's driver loafers! No Denim? I am stunned.

I couldn't get into Guerlain Vetiver either. I have bought 3 bottles over the years and sold all of them.
    Sorry to all, no intentions to hijack the thread.
    Cuiron rocks a pair of great jeans, a polo and Tod's driver loafers! No Denim? I am stunned.
    Right, sorry to hijack!

I agree on wearing anything anytime...well for me in some seasons. During Fall London will be on at work, in jeans and a sweater or just hanging out. Fits the season and I feel it no matter what I put on. I can actually wear Bulgari Aqua most anytime too. TdH was nice this fall/winter too for everything even though it is considered better in warm weather. As for shorts..I brought up my Cole Haan sandles and flip flops..I also like wearing my Aasics running shoes with shorts and a Polo. Just comfortable.
    --Ben Hogan

I don't really dress the part... I usually sport a clean-cut, casual outfit - no matter what frag I'm wearing (although I have mostly versatile frags that go well with anything).

Strictly casual and usually bargain clothes for me--Gabriel Brothers and Kohl's clearance racks are about as up-market as I get! Occasionally, I will splurge on a shirt from an Orvis or Territory Ahead catalog because they have such pretty designs and colors.

I wear any fragrance I have with anything.

I used to be sort of a throw on whatever I pick out of the closet first kinda guy. I've been putting a little more thought in to my clothes wardrobe lately and the whole smell better thing sorta came with the look better thing.

I only own one pair of jeans

but alot of frags!

alot of suits too oddly enough, white tux's and pink ones even.

I do more of an attitude/fragrance combo thing instead, all my frags have "attitude" :P

Blog Entries

denim? i'd rather strap aluminium foil to my legs and walk around like a gigantic antenna! :P

i can't stand denim....it's completely overrated. uncomfortable, too common, not very stylish...too blue, i just can't get into it! i haven't worn jeans since i was 14 probably.

in the winter here...i roll corduroys....in the summer i roll cotton. all bootcut....
    Last edited by everso; 28th January 2009 at 03:26 AM.

denim? i'd rather strap aluminium foil to my legs and walk around like a gigantic antenna! :P

i can't stand denim....it's completely overrated. uncomfortable, too common, not very stylish...too blue, i just can't get into it! i haven't worn jeans since i was 14 probably.

in the winter here...i roll corduroys....in the summer i roll cotton. all bootcut....

OK man.

A little bit, yes. For example I prefer wearing a soft White (cotton/silk) shirt when I wear scents like LV Incensi, Passage d'Enfer, Intrigant Patchouli, I wear soft blue/green shirts when I wear scents like Harmatan Noir, Yerbamate, Thundra ..just because I really like to match the mood of the scent with a matching upper garment and vice versa.

Similarly.. my thicker clothes I mostly use with my more heavier frags

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather