Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do you guys also tend to dress the part?

Are you guys lounging around with a Buffalo Bills sweatshirt with pizza stains on it and a beer belly while wearing Chergui or Habit Rouge, or do you tend to dress better than average person as well, to match the fragrance?

Curious, as I'm wearing sweatpants right now about to go to the grocery store while wearing Aqua di Parma - pretty odd combo.
    Last edited by union1411; 25th January 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Default Re: Do you guys also tend to dress the part?

Yes I dress the part. For instance, when I don't wear any fragrance I don't wear any clothes.

When I started figuring out fragrances it was part of a project to look and be better, so, yes, back then. I still make myself look nice in clothes regularly, and on occasion I do dress up to match a scent that I think is fantastic, but at the same time the real me comes out and I too wear the good stuff (like Acqua di Parma) with whatever sloppy clothes I feel comfortable in.

So for me there's no hard rule or regular action. Some of both, I'd say. I like occasions to dress up and like matching them with spectacular scents, but I also like a spectacular scent just for itself and think it's fun to wear with long underwear and sweatshirts too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

That's an interesting mental image: pizza stains, beer bellies and Chergui. Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;-)

I wager most people, if they take the time and trouble to wear perfume, would "dress the part," as you put it.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Blog Entries

I don't think i can say it any better than our esteemed moderator DustB.
    All I can do is say I agree with every word.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    Are you guys lounging around with a Buffalo Bills sweatshirt with pizza stains on it and a beer belly while wearing Chergui or Habit Rouge, or do you tend to dress better than average person as well, to match the fragrance?

Curious, as I'm wearing sweatpants right now about to go to the grocery store while wearing Aqua di Parma - pretty odd combo.
    I do not wear t-shirts nor sweat shirts; I hate stains on my clothes, I change them if I stained and I do not like beer. Anyway, when slopy I wear worn out clothes.

However, on informal occasions I wear low priced or realy old scents: Dana's Canoe, Old Spice, Agua de Lavanda Puig, Puig's Vetiver, Agua Brava, Adolfo Dominguez' Vetiver, Zara's Vetiver, Zara's Sándalo and Zara'sAmbré, or my Grandpa's Carnaval au Venice.
    Last edited by Pollux; 25th January 2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Addition

Contrasts are nice. I like the idea of sweatpants and AdP Colonia . I'm not really interested in clothes and usually I just wears jeans and t-shirt, but sometimes fragrances inspires me and I really wished I had something more proper to wear. Just saw the movie Eyes Wide Shut and I really liked the way Tom Cruise was dressed in that movie, imaging what fragrance he would wear .

Part of the fun in the process of finding and using different fragrances, is matching them to the appropriate occasion. For use with a pizza stained sweatshirt and beer belly, one of the "Sport" fragrances might be a nice ironic pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    Part of the fun in the process of finding and using different fragrances, is matching them to the appropriate occasion. For use with a pizza stained sweatshirt and beer belly, one of the "Sport" fragrances might be a nice ironic pick.
    Slob = "Cochon" in French (Pig)

Dior Homme Cochon?
    Kouros "Eau de Cochon"?
    Caron's "Pour Un Cochon"
    Tauer's "L'Air du Cochon Americain"

Someone is going to take that personal ^
    I tend to dress better than the average person, and I am also less trendy. However, that has nothing to do with perfume. I really do not make many associations between formal wear vs. certain family of scents. I use platinum Egoiste with a formal suit because of its sillage, and I like to use bulgari black with my leather jacket, but that is about it.

For me, clothes and perfumes are two different universes, in spite of whatever designer brands say.

I am not a big fan of the "perfume is there to project a persona" philosophy.
    Last edited by irish; 25th January 2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Enjoyable thread! Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. For instance, I simply can't imagine wearing Tiffany For Men with my French Godzilla t-shirt. Although I am wearing L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme with it right now, and I have worn Tokyo by Kenzo with it on several occasions!

Some scents do seem to "dress down" nicely for me in public. Tom Ford Extreme goes well with jeans or fancier stuff. And when I'm not going to meet anybody, I'll wear almost any scent.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Yes I dress the part. For instance, when I don't wear any fragrance I don't wear any clothes.
    Keep wearing fragrance, please.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I tend to choose a nicer fragrance to wear with formal attire or something I wouldn't reach for very often to sort of enhance the experience. I think it's easier to wear a casual fragrance while dressed up rather than my "formal fragrances" with casual attire.

It's hard for me to imagine kicking around in jeans and a t-shirt wearing Bois du Portugal or something. That said I think I've worn AdP Colonia on grocery runs myself...

When out of the house, I dress far above what passes for "average" male dressing these days-- both for business or casual. At home, it's whatever fits the occasion or situation. Fragrance for me is part of the "whole cloth" or whole picture if you will, absolutely.
    Currently wearing: Benedictus by Excelsis

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

No hard and fast rules. As the mood and circumstance dictates
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I am all over the map with clothes. I don't let my choice in clothes for the day affect my choice in fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

I happen to like old-fashioned English Tweed suits and Jermyn Street shirts, Paisley ties and fine shoes, and they happen to match well with many of the serious masculines I like to wear, from Czech and Speake to Creed's old classics, Adp and so many others. When wearing a modern outfit (like a deep blue Montana jacket with Costume Nationale trousers) I'd probably match that with a Comme des Garcons shirt. So yes, these things go together fo me. But of course, once you know the rules, you can break them in interesting ways....
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love pairing my Derby, Tiffany for Men, or Dior Homme with boxer shorts, a 'wife beater' tank top, and slippers. That's high class here in Texas.... but then again so is living in a home that doesn't have a transmission.

Interesting post. Usually rely on the weather or the event(s) of the day rather than my clothing. I am rather casual in my attire and rarely need to wear a suit, so the formality of the situation really rarely applies. I just wear what "feels right" as mikeperez stated the other day.

I work from a home studio, and thus am often dagging around in jeans and a tee whilst wearing, for example: Vetiver Extraordinaire or Rancé 1795's Le Vainqueur.

I also wear scents in the evening after showering, and thus could be wearing anything whilst slothing around the house in a tee and boxers.

If Ive planned an excursion, I often dress first, and then match a fragrance to suit the event or my attire. Seldom ever the other way around.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th January 2009 at 08:07 PM.

I rarely need to be dressed formal, so I tend to be attracted to scents that are versatile enough to be worn casually or dressy...

i kinda like wearing a sweatshirt running pants and chergui

I'm not rich by any means (just middle class white-collar worker) but I like the classy-expensive smelling perfumes. As such I dress up to match it - and it's serendipity that I'm getting this perfume obsession just after I know how to dress well.

Granted, it's not hard to dress better than most of the suited guys here even in Melbourne. Their main downfall is that even the very-well-suited Melburnian guys often wear fugly shoes (squared-toe and needlepointy shoemakers can all go to hell). I know I can talk about this because I was clueless when it comes to perfumes and dressing for 3 decades... for a time I even liked looser dress shirts, squared-toed shoes, and Gaultier's Le Male. But now I hate them all, so goes to show I've learned the errors of my old ways.

Off-Scenter

Unabashed clothes horse here , and I think of fragrance as a component of my outfit for the day. Jeans and T-shirt = Parfum d'Habit, Yatagan, Ciel, Ungaro II, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Chene, etc. Lots of leather, boots, stubble = Black Aoud, Or Black, Knize Ten, Intrigant Patchouli or tuberose (Carnal Flower, Tubereuse Criminelle) Silk shorts and print shirt = L'Anarchiste, Magnolia Romana, Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat, Bahiana, L'Eau de Ryokuei, or the like. Suit and tie? Santal Noble, Derby, Cuir de Russie, Dia, Iris Bleu Gris, Eau Lente, or Dongkha, for example.

You get my drift...though I'm not dogmatic about this, and I'll wear a given fragrance with many sorts of attire.

My clothing wardrobe consists of jeans, t-shirts, and a few polo's. I never have the occasion to dress-up much, so I haven't invested the money on fine clothing. One of my dreams though is to visit London's Saville Row and have a very fine suit tailored for me.

Blog Entries

yes.

dressing well is far more important than wearing a nice fragrance, IMO.

what's the point in wearing a $220 bottle of Odori Cuoio and wearing jeans (i don't wear jeans anyways....ever...ick) and a sweatshirt? UGH. I quite enjoy buying nice clothes though.....it's nice to have a nice selection of gear at all levels.
    Last edited by everso; 25th January 2009 at 10:54 PM.

I own one suit. It's really nice, but only one. Maybe a dozen ties, 5 collar shirts. I'm an odd size/fit, so suits that look good while I move are expensive and need to be tailored. Hence one.

70% of the time I'm in sneakers and shorts (playing ball) or sneakers and sweats (casual), hoodies unless it's summer. the other 29% is jeans and sneakers/tims.

I look great in the sweatpants/shorts I slept in and a white tee, so I always look the part of a $200 fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I can`t see myselves wearing L`Instant de Guerlain and Trussardi Inside at least without a nice, elegant iron shirt, and black or brown leather shoes.. My rules are: Elegant classy scent, elegant classy dress-code!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

When I go to work, I wear a coat and tie. Generally the same thing when I go out to eat at a special place. On other occasions, I just wear jeans and a shirt, with whatever outerwear is appropriate to the weather.

I wear what I like when I like when it comes to perfumes. So sometimes I look and smell elegant at the same time. Sometimes I look rather ordinary, dress-down middle-class, but smell extraordinary. Rarely I might look very good and smell mediocre.

I hardly ever go out really dressed down (as in sweatshirt or t-shirt and jeans), but occasionally if the weather is very hot, I might resort to shorts and a sandals with a tank-top; the truth is, it's hardly ever that warm in San Francisco where I live.

If I'm on vacation in the tropics, the shorts and sandals get worn with a silk short sleeve shirt, and the scents are generally pretty elegant or at least fresh and enlivening.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th January 2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I see it as all one package - if I'm going out I'll dress nice - (pretty rare where I live) I may wear something more formal. Whoever said that the clothes drive the fragrance.... well, that's me too. The exception, sort of, is work - even though I usually dress well at work I don't always wear formal type fragrances to work. With where I live and the nature of sitting in an office, my fragrance is really just for me. I'm actually allowed to wear jeans to work, which I do sometimes (though I have nice jeans, we're not talking Lee or Levis, here), and I don't think you can pair the wrong fragrance with a pair of nice jeans and a [Ben Sherman/Robert Graham/Nat Nast] shirt finished with a pair of drivers. Works with any fragrance.

I long for the day when I'm back in a northeast city and I would want to get dressed up to go out. For the few of you who know about the city where I live, well... you know there ain't nothing going on out here.