Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Does Strength/Longetivity Have to do with Expense?

I believe that all perfumes are designed "on spec" for a price point - so if the spec does not specifically say, "Lasts all day on even dry skin chemistry" then the perfumer is not obliged to do that, do they?

Maybe the brief says, "Fleeting smell of the night in a Grasse valley." I don't know about you but that one I wouldn't expect to last more than 3-4 hours max even in EDP strength.

So for people who think a lot of modern perfumes do not last as long as they'd like - it's very simple. Vote with your dollar and do not buy short-lasting perfumes then - at whatever price point. Either that or start your own niche company called "The Tenacious Perfume Company" and brew up your own EDPs at 25% perfume oil concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post

So for people who think a lot of modern perfumes do not last as long as they'd like - it's very simple. Vote with your dollar and do not buy short-lasting perfumes then - at whatever price point.
    Very, very true - if you can get hold of it to try it, that is.

But as you know, we have a voracious bunch of blind buyers around here - especially when they see something on sale on the net.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Clive Christian 1872 lasted about a day and a half on my arm, which was very, very good for a scent that wasn't particularly heavy. If you get the opportunity, try race it off on your arms against Joop Homme and Goutal's Sables.
    Renato
    Thank you for your advice. Today I received my 1872 samples (for men and women) and I'm stunned. What a nice scent the one for men is... it has a lingering nature, now you feel, now you don't. It may well be one's signature scent - maybe it will be mine. Very expensive, but as far as I can see from today's experience, very little is enough. And if I continue buying one-two bottles a year, then I can afford even that one.
    I had once Joop Homme and I can very well remember its having a decent longevity, but the scent itself is nowhere near. Still I haven't had the opportunity to try Goutal, I will try my best.
    But in the last 5 weeks I had the privilage to try five Amouages, four Nasomattos, lots of L'Artisans, all of Clive Christians, several Miller Harris' - a really great period, thank you basenotes