Code of Conduct

Default SotW January 17th-23rd, 2009

Week 47 was a week of almost but not quite. It was a week of some unexpected scents with big weeks. We’ll get to that after the raw numbers. There were 1,292 total posts this week from 742 different scents, 54 of those scents were posted for the first time. 496 scents were worn just one time for an individuality index of 38.4%. We had the third highest posting total ever and the second highest scent total and individual wear total. We also had our second 200 post day on Saturday. That was highly unusual as Saturday and Sunday are our lowest posting days by a wide margin. For some reason this Saturday there were a large number of posters testing and sampling multiple scents which is what drove the number over the 200 post mark.
    It was a crazy week for the big 5. Not so crazy that Guerlain isn’t at the top with 115 wears over 38 scents. Guerlain put five scents in the top 10 starting with Vetiver at #1 which returns with a bullet after spending the last two weeks out of the money. Habit Rouge is at #9 and Heritage, Jicky and L’Heure Bleue are all tied for #10. Chanel continues its very strong run of the last few weeks as it comes in second with 73 wears over 24 scents. The House leader is a big surprise as Cuir De Russie comes in at #5 for the week. It is joined by No. 19 at #10. Chanel has been very interesting to watch over the last few weeks as the House leader has bounced around to a different scent every week all while the House overall is posting its strongest run since I’ve been keeping track. Creed climbs back up to third after last week’s trip to the basement with 33 wears over 17 scents led by this week’s #6 Bois du Portugal. Serge Lutens has its worst week since the women joined the stats in Week 9 with 28 wears over 20 scents. Borneo 1834 was the highest scent with four wears good for a tie for #39. Hermes brings up the rear with 26 wears over 9 scents. Terre D’Hermes continues its winter renaissance as it ends up at #4 for the week. The big 5 totals are 275 (21.2%) wears over 108 (14.6%) scents which are below average.
    Yves St. Lauren had another big week of 41 wears over 16 scents but this week only put Rive Gauche pour Homme into the top 10 at #6. Christian Dior also had a good week of 32 wears over 17 scents led by Dior Homme at #2. Two Houses had their best weeks ever in Miller Harris which was led by a heavy wear of Feuilles de Tabac and Divine which was led by the new L’Etre Aime Homme. Ormonde Jayne was the other House which had an above average week. A number of Houses had very low weeks. Armani continues its low wears for the third week. Acqua di Parma followed up last week’s near-record week with an almost near-record low this week. Aramis, Calvin Klein and Annick Goutal posted lower than average weeks this week.
    There were a number of interesting trends in the single scents this week. Montana Parfum D’homme (red box) posts its second top 10 in three weeks and its highest total to place it at #3. Lalique Encre Noir posts its highest week ever and highest week since Week 27 to finish at #6. The last member of the top 10 is Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille at #10 which also represents the best week ever for that scent.
    Top 10 for January 17th – 23rd , 2009
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 15 wears (1.2%)
    2.) Dior Homme 14 wears (1.1%)
    3.) Montana Parfum D’Homme (red box) 12 wears (0.9%)
    4.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 11 wears (0.9%)
    5.) Chanel Cuir de Russie 10 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Creed Bois du Portugal 9 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Lalique Encre Noir 9 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 9 wears (0.7%)
    9.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 8 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Chanel No. 19 7 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Guerlain Heritage 7 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Guerlain Jicky 7 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Guelrian L’Heure Bleue 7 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille 7 wears (0.5%)

Eight scents just missed this week, two Chanels Coco Mademoiselle and Coromandel along with another Guerlain Shalimar. The aforementioned Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac along with Ava Luxe Love’s True Bluish Light, Ormonde Jayne Woman and Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour Homme. Tumulte had easily the most interesting week of any scent as the six wears this week easily eclipse the previous high mark of two wears. Tumulte gets worn so rarely that the six wears are equivalent to the last eight weeks worth of wears! The last scent in the just missed is the week’s top new scent which is Prada Infusion D’Homme. It is followed one wear back by Divine L’Etre Aime Homme and Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve.
    That’s it for Week 47 Basenotes Nation.
    As always, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW January 17th-23rd, 2009

Awesome.... I look forward to these every week. Any idea what you're going to do after the 1 year experiment? I'll admit I'm looking forward to seeing the 1 year data (I wonder who's winning? Vetiver or TdH?), but I'm not looking forward to the end of the counting. Life goes on.

Blog Entries

A very curious week. Montana Red Box? What's the story on that? And while I really love Feuilles de Tabac, I wonder why it suddenly gets a big blip. Are we "inciting" each other on SotD? And the heavy Saturday. What's up with that? Even if we don't know the answers, it's still very interesting stuff. Thanks for your continued work on this, SMM.

I think the Montana Red Box is from one particular BNer on the women's board. And I am pretty sure that some weekend days are heavier if alot of us sample on those days. Today I wore 4 so far, and wrote 3 reviews.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think the Montana Red Box is from one particular BNer on the women's board. And I am pretty sure that some weekend days are heavier if alot of us sample on those days. Today I wore 4 so far, and wrote 3 reviews.
    Thanks, Asha! It's responses like this which (after a week of beating my head against the wall) convince me that there is still logic in this universe!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Awesome.... I look forward to these every week....but I'm not looking forward to the end of the counting. Life goes on.
    Does it?

I just may have to institutionalize myself!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost