Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Etat Libre d'Orange - favs?

A local store is ceasing to carry this line, and the stock they have is on sale...any favourites from the line? I find them very *difficult*, but intruiging...my impressions of them tend to change every testing...hard to explain. I've written reviews on many of them, and have since re-tried the ones I (thought I) liked, but they were different somehow.

Anyway, I picked up Rien and wore it yesterday. Smelled lovely all day. Today, it's not smelling as nice for some reason...a bit of a "pee" note coming out.

Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Etat Libre d'Orange - favs?

Besides Rien, my choices would be Rossy di Palma, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Vierges et Toreros, and, last but not least, Sécrétions Magnifiques.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    and, last but not least, Sécrétions Magnifiques.
    NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *jumps of a cliff*
    Last edited by jenson; 26th January 2009 at 03:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn - how much are they on sale for?

I've been making a project of this house.... I'm just TWO away from trying them all. For all of the marketing, they are really just simple, high-quality and fairly unique fragrances. A lot of them have leather notes, too. Here's my faves:

Je Suis en Homme - a masculine patchouli, one of my faves
    Tom of Finland - leather/rubber, but subdued
    Vierges et Torero - some people don't like this, it's an animalistic leather
    Charogne - citrus/woody floral... another fave
    Vrai Blonde - aldyhidic peach. Very bright and fun
    Nombril Immense - patchouli and leather
    Noel Au Balcon - this may only be available in France... it's a 'winter gourmand'

Secretions Magnifique is one of the two I haven't tried, so I can't comment, but it would be nice if people would focus on all the great stuff this house puts out, quite inexpensively, instead of the one really challenging fragrance with a wild name.

Rossy di Palma - A rose that somehow seems new.
    Encens et Bubblegum - Incense and rose, darkness and light.
    Vierges et Toreros - The dirty base of Animalis with leather and black pepper, tenacious and wicked.
    Sécrétions Magnifiques - White flowers and the smell of a freshly caught trout. Sounds gross, but once your nose adjusts to the newness of it, it's quite beautiful. Think a quiet spring day spent fresh water fishing under a blossoming tree.
    Etat's offerings are all well priced if you buy them in Paris. US stores take too big of a mark-up on them.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th January 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Charogne, but only once in a blue moon, as it's so very decadent/lush/sexy/sickening/Gloria Swanson-y/drag queen-ish.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th January 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

For those curious (I received a ton of pm's), Holt Renfew is the only store in Canada that currently carries the line, but it was announced that Shopper's Drug Mart's new cosmetic store, Murale, will be the official retailer in the future, so Holt's is discounting the prices accordingly. My local (Toronto) location didn't have a lot of stock left, but everything was 30% off.

I'm going to see if they have Vrai Blonde, as that's the only one I think I haven't tried. I really wanted Nombril Immense, but that (and Secretions Magnifique) was/were never carried to begin with.

Vierges et Toreros is my favorite. I recently went into my Holts location and asked about the Etat line. They didn't know what I was talking about. They carried the line before, but I guess they no longer do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Vierges et Toreros is my favorite. I recently went into my Holts location and asked about the Etat line. They didn't know what I was talking about. They carried the line before, but I guess they no longer do.
    Which location was this?

I've asked about lines they carry with returned blank stares too...I've even shown them later on when I found them on the shelves...oy.

Post Thanks / Like

Holts found the provocative, edgy labels a little too "out there" for some of its customers, so they didn't really promote the line. I see that line being placed in a minimalist boutique with loud club music thumping away, rather than the posh society world of Holts.
    That being said, the only Etat one that I have tried, like and own is Eloge du Traitre. It is excellent, a greener version of the old powerhouse Yatagan by Caron.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Holts found the provocative, edgy labels a little too "out there" for some of its customers, so they didn't really promote the line. I see that line being placed in a minimalist boutique with loud club music thumping away, rather than the posh society world of Holts.
    That being said, the only Etat one that I have tried, like and own is Eloge du Traitre. It is excellent, a greener version of the old powerhouse Yatagan by Caron.
    I wonder how Murale will display them? Do you have one yet in Edmonton? We're still waiting for ours here.

Post Thanks / Like

The Montreal store has them all on display since the December opening. There are only a few in the men section but they are all displayed together in a more central section mainly occupied by women fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Which location was this?

I've asked about lines they carry with returned blank stares too...I've even shown them later on when I found them on the shelves...oy.
    Vancouver location. Maybe so....I looked around as well, but couldn't find them. When I asked the SA's about a few other lines, they knew what I was talking about. I think they threw them off the shelves. Sad since I didn't try them all.

A bit off topic, but my Holts now carries Odori and Cereus.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how Henri Bendel - the exclusive ELdO retailer - deals with the edgy marketing. It's one of the most highbrow, old-school stores in the country - it must cause quite the stir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Vancouver location. Maybe so....I looked around as well, but couldn't find them. When I asked the SA's about a few other lines, they knew what I was talking about. I think they threw them off the shelves. Sad since I didn't try them all.
    That was essentially the story I was told at my Holts. A little too risque in the SA's opinion -- didn't bother me but it evidently jangled some sensibilities.

And in response to sofresh's question -- the Murale thing is news to me. I look forward to that, if it comes to my city. Thanks for the info!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I see that line being placed in a minimalist boutique with loud club music thumping away, rather than the posh society world of Holts.
    LOL, sounds like my sort of place. I never really liked the vibe at Holts.

Talking Re: Etat Libre d'Orange - favs?

Most of the ELDO are quite feminine by my taste, but I particullary adore:
    -Rien, is a really odd yet wicked combination of mineralistic notes, with iris. It has a "cold" feel that makes it really interesting.
    -Vierges et toreros. Spices, leather, animalistic notes and heavy tuberosa. Quite manly and in a way, dirty.
    -Tom of finland: Effervescent aldehydes with touches of powdery violet and a fake latex twist.
    Sound awful but the result is quite innocent though.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Post Thanks / Like

IMO I find more ELdO's to be very unisex and none of them are super-feminine. I'm cutting and pasting this from the 'other' ELdO thread:

Rien - HOLY smokes batman! This contains is the dirtiest, most civety, animalistic leather note ever. It's stronger than gasoline to start but settles into a strong but smooth leather. Goes from impossible to put your nose near to very enjoyable in 10 minutes.

Jasmine et Cigarette - very interesting. Jasmine is one of the florals I enjoy the most (i.e. A la Nuit), and this fragrance balances the sweet/sharp nature of jasmine with a tobacco note that very much smells like an unsmoked, open pack of cigarettes. I read a Burr review that said the idea behind this was to evoke the image of a woman, sitting at a bar who is wearing perfume and smoking a cigarette. The man wants to pick her up and confronts the dual smell of her jasmine perfume and her cigarette smoke. What's so cool is that if you choose to focus on the jasmine, you can smell the jasmine, but if you choose to focus on the tobacco, that's what you smell.

Encens et Bubblegum - I group this with the above because it's another 'discordant combo accord' fragrance. I wouldn't exactly call the sweet note 'bubblegum' but rather a candy sweet note meant to evoke bubblegum. I'm not sure why some reviewers take things so seriously, complaining that the 'bubblegum note isn't realistic enough'. C'mon people, try to be flexible. Anyway, this is the 'sweet and sour' of perfumes, because the sweet notes balance a pretty strong incense note - and as with Jasmine et Cigarette, neither overpowers.

Some of my other favorites from the line are:

Je Suis Un Homme - masculine patchouli

Vraie Blonde - aldehyde bubbly peach

Charogne - orange/floral/leather

Vierges et Torros - another animalistic leather. Similar to Mazzolari Lui, but not as smooth.

Tom of Finland - powdery floral rubber/leather. Be warned that ELdO released a series of 'collectors boxes' with XXX-rated homoerotic art on them.

Noel Au Balcon - A sweet little holiday style gourmand.

Bendelirious - fizzy cherry/champagne. Tons of fun, but could last longer.