Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1

    Default From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    I really enjoy Hermes Rocabar, and I absolutely love Derby, but with the high price of Derby, I may have to wait a while before I take the steep plunge.

    So what would be an alternative to suggest? It would not have to necessarily be from the house of Guerlain, and even though Guerlain's fragrances have floral notes as a constant I'm liking the leather and spice qualities of these two scents that seem to stay prominent as a base.

    So any thoughts?
    Last edited by RubenC; 26th January 2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: wrong house mentioned

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,575

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Bel Ami by Hermes and/or Devin by Aramis

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Rocabar is by Hermès (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121372.html). Also, I second Bel Ami; great choice.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 26th January 2009 at 05:05 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Rocabar is by Hermès (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121372.html). Also, I second Bel Ami; great choice.
    Opps, my bad!! In my haste I typed Guerlain instead of Hermes

    So two votes for Bel Ami, a scent I have on my try list.

  5. #5

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Or if you wanted to go for a lower priced Guerlain, consider Heritage or maybe L'Instant pour homme.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I tried Heritage for the first time this past weekend. I found it to be a lot like Rocabar (but a little better). However, Rocabar is much cheaper - I've seen bottles from online retailers for $25/30ml and maybe even less on eBay. Bel Ami and Equipage are quite different from Rocabar, but both are very classy, very high quality.

  7. #7

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I tried Heritage for the first time this past weekend. I found it to be a lot like Rocabar (but a little better). However, Rocabar is much cheaper - I've seen bottles from online retailers for $25/30ml and maybe even less on eBay. Bel Ami and Equipage are quite different from Rocabar, but both are very classy, very high quality.
    I have a small decant of Heritage and really liked it, but for the same reason (price) I opted for Rocabar. I have no regrets. I find Rocabar less floral than Heritage, maybe that's what I tend to lean towards, a less floral more leathery, spicy scent.

  8. #8

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Or if you wanted to go for a lower priced Guerlain, consider Heritage or maybe L'Instant pour homme.
    L'Instant pour homme is one frag I have not tested, I will definitely give it a try.

  9. #9

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    I found Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre to be similar to Derby. I think The Guide states that Je Suis Un Homme (same co.) resembles it. EdT is much stronger, and with a nod to Azzaro PH.

  10. #10

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Bel Ami by Hermes and/or Devin by Aramis
    Exactly, the same two I was going to recommend!

    To my nose, Devin is extremely similar to Derby.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 26th January 2009 at 06:48 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh
    I think The Guide states that Je Suis Un Homme (same co.) resembles it. EdT is much stronger, and with a nod to Azzaro PH.
    I may be totally cookoo, but I don't find Je Suis Un Homme to be anything like it's described in the guide - to me it's really a masculine patchouli/sandalwood/leather. I'm interested in others' opinions.

    I read the first post wrong... if you're looking for something like Derby, Bel Ami - especially the reformulated version (PM me if you want one, hint hint) has the same leathery chypre qualities, though it's not quite as pungent as Derby. They were released around the same time in the 80s.

  12. #12

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    New York by Parfums di Nicolai is often compared to Derby. I find it has more in common with the new (reformulated) Derby than with the old Derby, which is spicier/more jagged (which I like).

    Similar, though, to both.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

  13. #13

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I may be totally cookoo, but I don't find Je Suis Un Homme to be anything like it's described in the guide - to me it's really a masculine patchouli/sandalwood/leather. I'm interested in others' opinions.

    I read the first post wrong... if you're looking for something like Derby, Bel Ami - especially the reformulated version (PM me if you want one, hint hint) has the same leathery chypre qualities, though it's not quite as pungent as Derby. They were released around the same time in the 80s.
    I didn't find Je Suis Un Homme to be much like the guide describes either as I recall (I wouldn't have given it 4 stars either).

    Agreed that Bel Ami and Derby share similarities.

  14. #14

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Well now I'm curious about Devin and Je Suis Un Homme, although it appears Devin is more readily available than Je Suis Un Homme.

  15. #15

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I may be totally cookoo, but I don't find Je Suis Un Homme to be anything like it's described in the guide - to me it's really a masculine patchouli/sandalwood/leather. I'm interested in others' opinions.

    I read the first post wrong... if you're looking for something like Derby, Bel Ami - especially the reformulated version (PM me if you want one, hint hint) has the same leathery chypre qualities, though it's not quite as pungent as Derby. They were released around the same time in the 80s.
    I found the Nordstrom near me carries Bel Ami so I can test it from them, but thanks for the offer.

  16. #16

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    Well now I'm curious about Devin and Je Suis Un Homme, although it appears Devin is more readily available than Je Suis Un Homme.
    ...and Je Suis Un Homme isn't necessarily "cheap", but not too difficult to find.

  17. #17

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    L`Instant de Guerlain is one of the most elegant fragrances ever! Rocabar is nice, but i`m doubtful about the berry-notes in it.. Equipage is for me like a wheat-field. Go for Chanel Pour Monseiur instead!

  18. #18

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Well, my list to test looks like this for a Derby alternative:

    Bel Ami
    Devin
    Je Suis Un Homme
    L`Instant de Guerlain
    Chanel Pour Monseiur
    New York by Parfums di Nicolai

    Thanks everyone for these suggestions, it's much appreciated.

  19. #19

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    Well, my list to test looks like this for a Derby alternative:

    Bel Ami
    Devin
    Je Suis Un Homme
    L`Instant de Guerlain
    Chanel Pour Monseiur
    New York by Parfums di Nicolai

    Thanks everyone for these suggestions, it's much appreciated.
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) and New York are excellent fragrances and I strongly encourage you to sample them in depth. Both of them are in my top five.

    They are not, however, leather chypres like Derby, Devin and Bel Ami.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  20. #20

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) and New York are excellent fragrances and I strongly encourage you to sample them in depth. Both of them are in my top five.

    They are not, however, leather chypres like Derby, Devin and Bel Ami.
    That's good to know, I did read that Chanel Pour Monsieur has some citrus and musk and or vetiver, which leads me to wonder if that is a scent more suited for spring and summer wear.

  21. #21


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    I think Devin is an EDC? I looked it up on a few online vendors and it is called a "Cologne Spray"-Does this equate to EDC? If Devin is an EDC, then how is its longevity?
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 26th January 2009 at 10:07 PM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) and New York are excellent fragrances and I strongly encourage you to sample them in depth. Both of them are in my top five.

    They are not, however, leather chypres like Derby, Devin and Bel Ami.
    Agreed. I love both CPM (and CMPC) and New York. They are both very different from Derby and Rocobar. Derby is one of my favorite scents. I would also recommend Bel Ami - I just picked up a vintage version on ebay for $40 (incl. shipping.) It took a while to get here but it's a great fragrance.

  23. #23

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by RubenC View Post
    That's good to know, I did read that Chanel Pour Monsieur has some citrus and musk and or vetiver, which leads me to wonder if that is a scent more suited for spring and summer wear.
    I have also seen pyramids showing Pour Monsieur with musk and vetiver notes. If those notes are there, they play a minor supporting role as I have never detected them.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    I think Devin is an EDC? I looked it up on a few online vendors and it is called a "Cologne Spray"-Does this equate to EDC? If Devin is an EDC, then how is its longevity?
    I am not at home to check my bottle but, in a side-by-side comparison last year, Devin lasted every bit as long as Derby on my skin.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Agreed. I love both CPM (and CMPC) and New York. They are both very different from Derby and Rocobar. Derby is one of my favorite scents. I would also recommend Bel Ami - I just picked up a vintage version on ebay for $40 (incl. shipping.) It took a while to get here but it's a great fragrance.
    I picked up a vintage bottle from the same seller and agree that it is a great fragrance (much better than the new Bel Ami and I love that one too!)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  24. #24

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quorum and Aramis are both inexpensive and well made leather chypres.

  25. #25

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Quorum and Aramis are both inexpensive and well made leather chypres.
    Qourum was one of my all-time favorites way back when, but Aramis was never in my wardrobe, not sure why.

  26. #26
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,575

    Default Re: From Rocabar to Derby to.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    I think Devin is an EDC? I looked it up on a few online vendors and it is called a "Cologne Spray"-Does this equate to EDC? If Devin is an EDC, then how is its longevity?
    Don't let that deter you TheAttorney. The longevity and strength of Devin are just as even as all of the other Aramis scents. Not sure why they used this designation for just Devin (maybe that wanted to butch it up?), but it lasts like an EdT.

Similar Threads

  1. John Varvatos Vintage to replace Rocabar?
    By Titan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd March 2008, 05:10 PM
  2. ROCABAR - What can I expect ?
    By Dimitrios in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2nd January 2008, 06:02 PM
  3. Hermus Terre /Hermes Rocabar
    By sniff in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th March 2007, 02:02 AM
  4. A Rocabar morning
    By pavneet in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th October 2005, 05:37 PM
  5. Nice deal on Hermes Rocabar, Orange Verte
    By mason in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th September 2005, 04:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •