Code of Conduct

Default Diptyque Philosykos: My first niche.

So, I received my bottle of Philosykos today. I actually blind bought it at a great price. To make it sound even crazier, I have never smelt or eaten a real fig before. Apparently, they're not to popular in Tennessee.

Anyways, since I have no reference to real fig, I will just describe the smell itself. It's definitely green. I imagine this is what a freshly pick under ripened fig smells like if you sliced it open. The smell is smooth, it doesn't really peak or spike, if that makes sense. It's not really overly fruity. It's earthy with a faint underlying of wood. I'll know more when I give it a full wearing, but initial impressions are good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diptyque Philosykos: My first niche.

Glad to hear that first impressions are good. Let us know what the first wearing is like. Variations on that green note are pretty common in Diptyque's takes on things, so if you like it you might be interested in L'Ombre dans L'Eau, their green take on rose, Virgilio, their green take on being thrown from a horse, etc. Interesting house, and one that captured my interest early on in my perfume exploring.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 26th January 2009 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Figs are fantastic gooey messes of heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Figs are fantastic gooey messes of heaven.
    Yes, ripe figs are! Very hard to find them truly ripe in NYC. I agree that Diptyque's fig smells fresh and under-ripe.

I think the "fig" scents are generally intended to represent the smell of freshly crushed fig tree leaves rather than the fruit itself, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But I agree, Philosykos is an amazing scent, I can't wait to try it in warm weather...

On another note, the seller included 3 sample vials in the shipment(thanks).

Villoresi Uomo
    MPG Paris
    Raffy Mogul

Whats the main note i'm smelling in Uomo? I don't like it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the Paris like?

I don't really know if Paris is the name of it. It just has MPG and then Paris under it. No other title. It smells like a woodier/smokier English Leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    I don't really know if Paris is the name of it. It just has MPG and then Paris under it. No other title. It smells like a woodier/smokier English Leather.
    Could be Parfum d'Habit.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I don't know guys. This stuff may be a little too green for me. After the initial opening, the fig note just keeps getting flatter. May swap this in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know guys. This stuff may be a little too green for me. After the initial opening, the fig note just keeps getting flatter. May swap this in the future.
    Nothing wrong with passing along things you don't like, but with something as great yet simple as Philosykos I'd say give it a few wearings. Like 5 wearings, I'm just guessing about that number though. That really gives you a chance to try living something.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

None of my beezwax but I'll second what Chris says about giving it a few days and at least a couple of full wearings. Ignore it for a week and then come back to it. Really new fragrances can take quite a while to settle in and then prove to be a great pleasure. And green frags are odd at first. I bought and sold Parfum d'Habit only to realize a few months later, after trying several other green frags, that I missed it very much. It is galling to have money tied up in something you're not enjoying but consider slowing down.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the minority, but I have yet to find a Dyptique that really vibes with me - Philosykos included. Definitely a ballsy blind buy, especially without knowing what fig fragrances smell like... I found it just a touch too sweet for me.

Regardless, don't let not liking it sour your niche exploration. I strongly suggest sampling... sample, sample, sample. You're bound to find fragrances you love, and the more different things you try, the more different genres you'll find yourself liking and appreciating.

I recommend waiting and wearing it during the summer before making your final decision. Philosykos seems to really come into its own in the heat.

I completely understand that, but this just doesn't work for me. The opening is nice, but then it just dies on me. It's far to flat and monotonous on me. Almost headache and nausea inducing for me. Not because it is offensive, but it is so stale. Just doesn't work. I'll try it tomorrow, but I pretty much have my mind made up on this one.

Anyways, lesson learned. I have to keep my impulse in check and sample before buying. It is not something I am accustomed to doing. I've always been a overly cautious, to the point of being unable to make decisions. To counter that, I have had to make a lot of spur of the moment decisions. Not anymore I suppose.

Good night everyone. Next time, I will listen to you.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 27th January 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Philosykos, but prefer the longer lasting and more masculine fig leaf scents like Salvatore Ferragamo PH and Davidoff's Good Life (though I seem to be the only one here who likes it).

Figs taste absolutely at their best a day or two before they start going off. And they taste pretty sub average a few days before they ripen to that best. I always rely on someone giving them to me.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I think the "fig" scents are generally intended to represent the smell of freshly crushed fig tree leaves rather than the fruit itself, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But I agree, Philosykos is an amazing scent, I can't wait to try it in warm weather...
    Living in Greece fig is a staple fruit during the summer months and fig smell is synonymous to me to summer. Yes you're right it's the smell of leaves, not the fruit that is being captured in all of the fig scents that I have tried. To my nose the fruit doesn't have a distinctive aroma. It has a very intense, very sweet taste, something that could be put into a fragrance by Shelldrake probably. But the leaf is a whole different story. It has a balmy, almost animalic smell. Not a typical leaf smell. In the summer it can dominate the air of the country, especially during the hottest hours of the afternoon. Maybe this is why I think it's balmy. Maybe it really is. What do you people think. Do you really think it is green?

Post Thanks / Like

The only fragrance I know of sweetened with notes of the fig fruit itself is John Varvatos, which I find to be way too sweet. As for the fig leaf smell, it's not one I'm too fond of.

Post Thanks / Like

This is weird, but I usually wear it while hiking. Now, I really shouldn't wear anything, because the mountain smells around me, are better that anything you could bottle. But it works with the piney, stoney, resinous ambience, plus sweat. I would say milky-sappy is the kind of green it is -- maybe "balmy" as cpk says. There's also a coconut smell in P. which makes it hot-weather friendly IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave it my first full wearing on Saturday. At first blush it's very similar to Marc Jacobs, but not nearly as synthetic/harsh. It's much smoother, and it definitely smells like "leaves".

My wife liked it a lot and so did I. It's very fresh and pleasant. She gave me this scent for Christmas.

If you like Philosykos, try L'Artisan's Premier Figuer, especially the Extreme version. To my nose it's the most natural smelling fig scent, but with typical L'Artisan longevity (or lack thereof). The other fig which I enjoy is Acqua di Parma's Fico di Amalfi, however it's mixed with some citrus notes and is slightly more synthetic smelling than either Diptyque or Acqua di Parma.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm glad I could take this off your hands! Don't worry, it's going to a good home.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I quite like fig scents, including Philosykos. But my favorite is Miller Harris Figue Amere.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i recently tried this on my skin and while it's amazingly realistic, it seems like it's more suited to be a room spray imo. i love the smell and would like to be in a room that smells like that but i don't think i want to smell like that. but to each their own of course.
    Last edited by union1411; 28th January 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love this fragrance; in the Summer, it's refreshing. In winter (it'll be my sotd tomorrow), it's bracing and lively. While no masterpiece, it ranks up there in my wardrobe.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

You have got to get some figs. They are so delicious!
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!