Code of Conduct

Default _Stronger_ (if stupider) sense of smell with a cold? Say what?

So I've been mumbling about this on the SOTD threads, but I just have to ask: Has anyone ever found that they have a _stronger_ sense of smell when they have a cold?

That's what's going on with me with this cold. My sense of smell isn't more discerning - it's less discerning, I think, but the really obvious notes in a perfume are hitting _harder_. It's like the perfumes have gone all cartoony, all primary colors. I don't like the phenomenon much, but mostly I just find it terribly puzzling.

Crayfish

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: _Stronger_ (if stupider) sense of smell with a cold? Say what?

I'm wondering: are you taking any over the counter or prescription cold medicine? Whenever I do, my sense of smell is very heightened.

I've taken some decongestant today and I'm smelling EVERYTHING! Maybe there's something to it!?

Oh, that's interesting. I was, but, nope, no medicine for about three days. Unless the effect lasts that long?

Crayfish

yes, i have strong memories from when i was a kid. i used to get colds all the time. whenever cigarete smoke would smell very differently and strongly to me, i knew i was getting sick. and no, no one was smoking in my room, but my sense of smell would get so heightened, i could smell the smoke from other parts of the house, coming from under the door. i was never able to smell any smoke when i was not sick.
    i don't remember if this was true for other smells as well.

I am totally congested and can't smell a blessed thing! Apparently my whole house reeks of garlic (I made chicken soup) and I can't tell. But, perhaps when you are just coming down with something there is a heightened sense of smell. Could it be a focus thing, where only certain types of notes can make it through? Or perhaps certain scents get "trapped" in the mucous? I wonder if you took some nasal spray (like Affrin) what would happen?
    Sounds like a science project for tomorrow!

As an added note, when I was pregnant with the kids I do remember being able to smell EVERYTHING. As in, I could tell if someone had been smoking or was using TIde laundry detergent from across the room. Nice when it was a good smell, not so nice otherwise!

When I get a cold, I get total anosmia, lack of ANY smell. Even when I'm not congested, I can't smell a blessed thing! That is a frightening scenario! Thankfully, it always comes back. But those are hard days of waiting it out!!
    Last edited by odysseusm; 26th January 2009 at 11:36 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I wish my nose did that when I have a cold! The only benefit for me when I have a cold is that I lose weight because no sense of smell means no sense of taste too
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]