Code of Conduct

Default New Haarlem..What do you get from it?

Me personally I get a sweetish coffee+lavender..First time I tried it, it made me think of CK Eternity (not the coffee, but the sweetness)..I don't really get chocolate from it. The smell reminds of when you spill coffee with sugar on something, and it dries. Or the smell of a coffee jug you drank coffee with sugar in and has not been washed.

Also how's the longevity on you. On me it's good, not perfect but good.
    Last edited by brianroy; 27th January 2009 at 12:51 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Default Re: New Haarlem..What do you get from it?

I'm a big fan of this stuff. Bergamot, lavender, greens and roasted coffee beans are blended together in a very sumptuous accord. It's really not sweet enough to be a gourmand.
    These days, Coffee is its own separate genre. But eventually, NH dissolves into a rather dull fougere, but the acrid coffee note is brill!
    Bond should have called this one Seattle.

My favorite Bond - it's sort of like Rochas Man on steroids. Lavender, coffee, and cocoa. I find it to be rich and intense, my favorite of the few coffee fragrances I have. I agree it's not quite gourmand, but it has gourmand touches. On me longevity is pretty good - around 8 hours total. I also agree with Ruggles that the drydown isn't anything special, just a fade-out of the central accord.

To me it smells very similar to Axe Dark Temptation body spray.

It might be the lavender that gets to me. I like it for a while, then it's like lavender bread or some such abomination. LOL.

I absolutely love it - my favorite coffee characterized scent - it's warm and comforting. I get the coffee, some chocolate, plus just that light touch of lavender to keep it bright. Well done, Maurice.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 8th February 2009 at 01:54 PM.

I am not a very big fan of lavender, but I love this one.
    I can relate to brianroy's comment about spilling coffee on your shirt. I had not make the connection but it smells like my shirt after a big spillage of coffee with flavored cream. My shirt was ruined, but I smelled delicious all day.
    Evenstar

A darker and spicier Rochas Man. Coffee, patchouli and spices - those notes my nose picks up...

a stronger Rm with more coffee

I picked this up today....but after wearing it I realized it is REALLY strong and may be too much..anyone else think the same thing?

For some reason I get an almost sour cheese note opening, but it doesn't last long. The first time I sprayed this on, it reminded me of something, but I couldn't recall what. Then it hit me, Bavarian Nuts! There is this mall I visit sometimes when I go to my usual vacation spot. For years, they have had this same little Bavarian Nut stand parked inside the store and every time I pass it, the scent is great, but I never stopped to try them. This fragrance strongly reminded me of that.
    Once Upon A Time In Nazi Occupied France...A Basterd's Work is Never Done ~ Inglourious Basterds

I sampled it again, to see if my earlier impressions were accurate. It's a lavender-prune bread with coffee on the side, and it stays that way for hours.

Which age will you say New Haarlem suits best?

One of my favorite gourmands and a few notches higher than rochas man.

Banned

What a great scent. I get a plate of waffles covered in brown sugar and maple syrup and an espresso. I love this one but I have to say that I recently purchased Blue Sugar for £4.95 (50ml) and honestly, there is very little difference between the two. Sure, it's obvious that NH is higher quality, but not to the tune of £130 more!

sickening syrup smell - not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    sickening syrup smell - not for me.
    +1....

Interesting - my nose nearly always agrees with Jack about fragrances, but we totally diverge here. I don't get much sweetness from NH, just a mapley coffee note that I find quite pleasant. I don't find it sickening in the least, and it's really one of my favorites (for example, I like it much more than Rochas Man, which it slightly resembles). And it gets an above average number of female compliments.

For me it starts off syrupy sweet but dies down into a really nice blend of coffee and some spices with the syrup very faint in the background. Only tested it a couple of times since I got my sample in so this is subject to change a little once I get to know it more.

Too much lavender for too long !

The only bottle that is worth getting from Bond despite its steep-ass price tag imo.

I got noting but heavy ass syrup, couched in heavy honey or a thick fudge. Way too heavy for my liking, and lacked trait.

Sur la Plage

I get a wonderful fragrance wearing experience.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    I got noting but heavy ass syrup, couched in heavy honey or a thick fudge. Way too heavy for my liking, and lacked trait.
    Fudge? Really? I don't get any chocolate from New Haarlem. Each nose is different, I suppose. I honestly don't have any idea what you mean by saying NH "lacked trait."
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 27th August 2011 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Fudge? Really? I don't get any chocolate from New Haarlem. Each nose is different, I suppose. I honestly don't have any idea what you mean by saying NH "lacked trait."
    Me neither. The drydown is pretty great too. Occasional whiffs of caramel-ish burnt coffee. Most certainly does not "lack trait".

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One of my favorite gourmands and a few notches higher than rochas man.
    I have to agree!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I have to agree!!!
    Gary
    I gotta second that. Just bought a full bottle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I wouldn't take too much notice of anything said in Dudester's post, Barclaydetolly, as he constantly contradicts himself. He said the other day that he wanted a scent that smelt like fudge and now professes to hate NH, which he thinks has that aura. I wouldn't usually be so blunt, but the guy's a f*cking idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I'm a big fan of this stuff. Bergamot, lavender, greens and roasted coffee beans are blended together in a very sumptuous accord. It's really not sweet enough to be a gourmand.
    These days, Coffee is its own separate genre. But eventually, NH dissolves into a rather dull fougere, but the acrid coffee note is brill!
    Bond should have called this one Seattle.
    Haha. +1 to Seattle comment, and to the greatness of this fragrance. However I would still personally label this a gourmand. It's certainly a sweeter coffee fragrance than say, Pure Coffee.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The only bottle that is worth getting from Bond despite its steep-ass price tag imo.
    Too rich for me. The price, not the smell ;P

I'll stick with Rochas Man, although I wish it had better projection.

To me, it's a very dense, sweet, and dark coffee vaguely reminiscent of Turkish coffee. I do get a sort of bitterish chocolate note out of it, but nothing "fudgy," and there is something green (the lavender?) as well. Yum!

Also, ahep2007, you speak truth.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

I get tons of coffe, lavender and burnt suggar.
    Very nice, rich and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by ahep2007 View Post
    What a great scent. I get a plate of waffles covered in brown sugar and maple syrup and an espresso.
    I like this characterization of it

I have ony sampled it but this captures what I got from it