Code of Conduct

Default While we're talking about stores - what percentage do you think you buy online?

As we seem to be discussing the content of stores, it made me think about my buying habits.

In the last couple of weeks, because I've had a bit of money sloshing around, I've bought maybe six or seven fragrances.

Not one have I bought in a store.

In fact the last thing I bought in a store was last month because it was in a bargain bin, Mister by Jasper Conran (which I rate VERY highly btw).

Other than that, I'd have to search my memory into last year for my last store based purchase.

So to answer my own question, I think at least 90% of my purchases are online. At least.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 19th February 2009 at 06:37 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: While we're talking about stores - what percentage do you think you buy online?

Well, I'd say I usually test what I can in physical stores but always buy online... Shame on me!!

Actually, I don't understand how someone pays full price when can get the same products discounted online...

AromiErotici

Default Re: While we're talking about stores - what percentage do you think you buy online?

100% basically. It's a very rare occasion that I buy locally. Local sales are not cost effective to me.

Cool Re: While we're talking about stores - what percentage do you think you buy online?

Everything is expensive here in Finland, I still buy locally the fragrances I find full bottle worthy and that are available - only Guerlains have filled both criteria past two years or so.

I always prefer to buy my fragrances over the counter, and living in London most brands are easy to obtain. I tend to purchase my samples over the internet, and according to my accounts, online purchases amount to 12%.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Online purchases in 2008 were about 97%.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th February 2009 at 09:10 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

About 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    Well, I'd say I usually test what I can in physical stores but always buy online... Shame on me!!

Actually, I don't understand how someone pays full price when can get the same products discounted online...
    Same here. I mean, come on, Bulgari Black locally for $72!!!? Really?........... REALLY?

Maybe 10%. I tend to return a significant portion of my purchases after trying them for a month, getting to know them better, and finding out I don't like them as much as I thought initially. Can't do that (easily) if I buy online.
    Last edited by karisuma; 19th February 2009 at 09:36 PM.

My wardrobe contains 21 frags, 13 of which I bought online. Of the remaining 8, I bought 3 in the store and received 5 as gifts. That makes the percentage of online purchases 62% (I'm guessing the gifts were store bought).

I figure that percentage will rise as I don't see the point in buying from stores. It's almost always cheaper to get a TPC/Luckyscent sample and then buy on eBay.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

In the last few years the only fragrances I have bought in stores are Chanels because they are not usually discounted online. I have also bought a few Chanels online that are not discounted, but which are not readily available in the U.S.

I almost always buy online.

Although I struggle a bit with the ethics of it, I buy at the counter only what I can't find discounted online. Actually much of what I want I buy from other BNers.

99.5%. Most of what I'm interested in is not available locally and I just don't usually have the time to travel to the one really good family owned perfumery in Frankfurt to try and buy fragrances. Price is obvously another factor and I've only ever found discontinueds through the net, in faraway places.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    99.5%. Most of what I'm interested in is not available locally and I just don't usually have the time to travel to the one really good family owned perfumery in Frankfurt to try and buy fragrances. Price is obvously another factor and I've only ever found discontinueds through the net, in faraway places.
    Yes. The HTF frags can only be found online unless your locale has one of the terrific shops with hidden gems.

About 90% were bought online. There is no way I could find many of these fragrances locally.

Since joining the Basenotes community 100% of my purchases have been online. Of those purchased,90% were blind buys. Most of the "classic" old school non Guerlain fragrances are not currently available in most brick and mortar stores (Nina Ricci's Signoricci instantly comes to mind). As we have recently discussed here, many of the classic fragrances are getting harder and harder to find online now. It will be interesting to see how the market for these frags will develop after the majors adjust their distribution contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    100% basically. It's a very rare occasion that I buy locally. Local sales are not cost effective to me.

Whicbhwebsite do you routinely make your purchases?
    Last edited by Dudester!; 20th February 2009 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Since joining the Basenotes community 100% of my purchases have been online. Of those purchased,90% were blind buys. Most of the "classic" old school non Guerlain fragrances are not currently available in most brick and mortar stores (Nina Ricci's Signoricci instantly comes to mind). As we have recently discussed here, many of the classic fragrances are getting harder and harder to find online now. It will be interesting to see how the market for these frags will develop after the majors adjust their distribution contracts.
    And you, Fradd? Which website do you buy off of?

98%