Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Bensimon Cologne 1993

Has anyone tried this? It sounds interesting.

From Fragrantica:

Serge Bensimon, one of the Bensimon brothers (Serge and Yves, who run the company) met Pierre Bourdon in the beginning of the 1990s, and asked him to create a personal fragrance for him. Cologne 1993 was born this way. Serge was wearing it for more then 10 years before he decided to share it with fans of Bensimon lifestyle.

Cologne 1993 has an opulent formula, which includes citruses (bergamot, lemon, petit-grain), precious wood (cedar, sandalwood, patchouli), resins (benzoin and myrrh), amber, aromatic herbs (lavender, geranium and hyssop), as well as leather and animalistic notes (jasmine absolute jasmine, civet absolute, castoreum...).

The fragrance itself is fresh and warm; woody ad musk, with a pleasant patchouli aroma and comfortableness of amber, myrrh, benzoin, refreshed with aromatic lavender and citrus. It is both fresh and oriental in the same time.

It looks like they sell decants of it at The Perfumed Court.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Bensimon Cologne 1993

I was going to start a thread about this today actually. I went to my local boutique that sell niche perfumes to smell some Strange Invisibles but actually ended up buying this instead. The SA spritzed some on the card and I really didn't want her to because I generally don't like EDC's. The moment I smelt this I was reminded of Mochoir de Monsier and its "civetness". I was very intrigued the moment I smelt it, and I spent half an hour trying to figure out where I've smelt this before. It was very "Guerlain" and as the civet slowly quieted down, I was left with an intensely resinous, warm almost amber-like base. The longevity is mediocre and so is the sillage, but it's supposed to applied very generously, well...like an EDC It's similiar to Bandit in a way, but one thing's for sure, this is very, very complex. It's an extremely diffucult scent to describe, and to every leather, animalic, no-holds-barred lover out there, I urge you to try it. It is infinitely gorgeous.
    Edit: Now I get it, it has a Vol de Nuit, Djedi like character to it.
    Last edited by scent; 20th May 2009 at 08:05 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I was going to start a thread about this today actually. I went to my local boutique that sell niche perfumes to smell some Strange Invisibles but actually ended up buying this instead. The SA spritzed some on the card and I really didn't want her to because I generally don't like EDC's. The moment I smelt this I was reminded of Mochoir de Monsier and its "civetness". I was very intrigued the moment I smelt it, and I spent half an hour trying to figure out where I've smelt this before. It was very "Guerlain" and as the civet slowly quieted down, I was left with an intensely resinous, warm almost amber-like base. The longevity is mediocre and so is the sillage, but it's supposed to applied very generously, well...like an EDC It's similiar to Bandit in a way, but one thing's for sure, this is very, very complex. It's an extremely diffucult scent to describe, and to every leather, animalic, no-holds-barred lover out there, I urge you to try it. It is infinitely gorgeous.
    Edit: Now I get it, it has a Vol de Nuit, Djedi like character to it.
    Thanks for reviving my dead thread! I never did follow up on my initial thought of ordering a sample - but I think I definitely need to now.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

An eaux cologne with a Guerlain richness and leather? It sounds fantastic.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th May 2009 at 10:15 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I found a Helmut Lang EDP at a local discounter yesterday and I purchased it. To my surprise, it smelt exactly like Bensimon 1993. If I was nitpicking here, I would say the Bensimon has more civet and castoreum and is more intense. But yeah, VERY close these two.

Basenotes Institution

What's the bottle look like?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike here's a link to the Bensimon 1993 on Fragrantica: http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/B...1993-4968.html

Btw, Bensimon 2005 is VERY close to L'artisan's Fleur d'Oranger. Just an FYI.